• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Raxus

The slots are always hot for me but aside from my initial 10 k run I can't seem to score big on them. It is frustrating since I need those last few fragments that cost 10 k each.

B.K.

I can't beat
Caius in Oreba 200AF. I can get his HP down to about 50%, then he completely heals himself.

laika09

Lightning's rare drop is an accessory (Lightning Cross) that has magic +66%, but basically halves your HP and gives you permanent poison. I can boost Serah over 1800 magic with it on :lol, too bad it's useless.

Amodar's is the same thing but for strength.

I can't beat
Caius in Oreba 200AF. I can get his HP down to about 50%, then he completely heals himself.

Try doing Sunleth first if you haven't.

So if multiple gates are in one episode should I just open both, thing is when you open one you go straight to the crux, so go back and open the other?

Lightning's rare drop is an accessory (Lightning Cross) that has magic +66%, but basically halves your HP and gives you permanent poison. I can boost Serah over 1800 magic with it on :lol, too bad it's useless.

Amodar's is the same thing but for strength.

Try doing Sunleth first if you haven't.

The poison and halved HP isn't so bad if you want to kill something really fast that normally takes a while

Episode 5:

Oh wow at
Fang and Vanille showing up. That whole scene was so awesome. The dream version of New Bodhum was pretty cool all around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone tell me how I use the Lightning DLC?

I have the Coliseum available, but when I go there, it is empty. What do I need to do to activate it?

Early Episode 5, Graviton Core question:
So I returned to Academia before getting the two cores at Oerba and Sunleth, and for some reason that was enough to unlock the gate that leads to Episode 5. So I went ahead and then get lost in the Void and then Noel is killed and Im alone and then have to fight with Caius which ofcourse I lose...so, when is a good time to head there, and can I still do that episode. I have this sinking feeling I might've skipped something.....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's two coliseums. One at the very left of the historia crux and another a bit to the right. Go to the left one. Are you well prepared? The dlc is kind of end game-ish.
Hrm. I guess I went to the story-based one? I don't see the other Coliseum to the very left...

And I just wanted to try out the battle if anything. I expect instant death. :)

Ah 17 hours now...must....start Chapter 4! I need to resist the urge to find new fragments to read!

Actually the whole fragments thing has me so confused. I mean, how do I do when I can find specific fragments, and which ones are wild and so forth. I have the guide but I dont wanna use it on my first playthrough.

burgerdog

Hrm. I guess I went to the story-based one? I don't see the other Coliseum to the very left...

And I just wanted to try out the battle if anything. I expect instant death. :)

It should be to the left of new bodhum. You might have the other historia crux selected. If you do, go over to the coliseum and try pressing up or down on it.

mudkyp

I bought the DLC fight which makes me a part of the problem, but I will say that it was a good fight. Very fun. It was also fun to go into a fight without being able to rely on a FAQ or anything if it went bad. Don't have Lightning yet, but I'll get her eventually. Just glad the fight wasn't a push over or uninteresting.

I bought the DLC fight which makes me a part of the problem, but I will say that it was a good fight. Very fun. It was also fun to go into a fight without being able to rely on a FAQ or anything if it went bad. Don't have Lightning yet, but I'll get her eventually. Just glad the fight wasn't a push over or uninteresting.

Whats a good level to try the fight at?

laika09

Done the fight 15 times now and still no Lightning :\ with the fragment skill and feral links in the 300-380% sync range. At least I have 9 of her accessories.

Nemesis_

Okay, so now that I've finished the game and am officially into the post game stuff, what's the best monster for each role?

Actually the whole fragments thing has me so confused. I mean, how do I do when I can find specific fragments, and which ones are wild and so forth. I have the guide but I dont wanna use it on my first playthrough.

Im in the same boat, Im guessing you need a guide to find some fragments, do you find different fragments when you close a gate, bah, this game, love FF but jeez, lol.

Bladenic

Does she have a voice in battle? Or is she silent? When you use her I mean.

Anyway, I'm one fragment away from the 160, and it's the bestiary. I've done pretty well keeping with the bestiary too, so I don't think I'll have any trouble getting that pretty quickly tomorrow. Then, it's secret ending and platinum time! Probably gonna end at just over 50 hours, and I've enjoyed every minute, except the slots lol. Definitely a much easier and way more enjoyable platinum than XIII's. Probably easier than just about every JRPG released this gen actually.

Why, would you have luck based questions in the quiz minigames. It doesn't help the minigame itself is quite slow and me being the adornment whore, I have to do them successfully three times each to get them all.

Early Episode 5, Graviton Core question:
So I returned to Academia before getting the two cores at Oerba and Sunleth, and for some reason that was enough to unlock the gate that leads to Episode 5. So I went ahead and then get lost in the Void and then Noel is killed and Im alone and then have to fight with Caius which ofcourse I lose...so, when is a good time to head there, and can I still do that episode. I have this sinking feeling I might've skipped something.....

The last two cores are optional, just for collecting fragments. Should be able to beat Caius like before, same strategy, get him into stagger and take him down. He has some moves that can knock you up, which is why MED/MED is useful to have for fast healing. Since you don't have Noel for this fight your monsters should be up to snuff before starting the fight. Also, make sure to take advantage of ATB Cancel for quick damage. I think I beat him with two attack paradigms, COM/COM and RAV/RAV. ATB cancelled back and forth unless I needed healing.

Yea, any recommendations? I want her, was 100% buying when it was announced but if I can't use her during my regular play through right now I don't think I'll bother purchasing it.

Is it really too hard for someone mid game-ish?

I just beat her at 100% and it was pretty easy but I still had to pay attention. I'd say someone who's at about Episode 4 (and lots of sidequests completed) and has been doing a good job with their monster party ought to be able to beat her, but it'll be tough.

Strategically placed ribbon scene? =P

bQvzN.gif

I just beat her at 100% and it was pretty easy but I still had to pay attention. I'd say someone who's at about Episode 4 (and lots of sidequests completed) and has been doing a good job with their monster party ought to be able to beat her, but it'll be tough.

Thanks, I'm only (probably) half way through episode 3 at the moment and my monster party is pretty random..... didn't invest much yet because I wanted Lightning as one of them. :( Ah well.

The last two cores are optional, just for collecting fragments. Should be able to beat Caius like before, same strategy, get him into stagger and take him down. He has some moves that can knock you up, which is why MED/MED is useful to have for fast healing. Since you don't have Noel for this fight your monsters should be up to snuff before starting the fight. Also, make sure to take advantage of ATB Cancel for quick damage. I think I beat him with two attack paradigms, COM/COM and RAV/RAV. ATB cancelled back and forth unless I needed healing.

Thanks, for the tips. Im gonna go do some side quest and recruit a good healer. Where can I find a green chocobo?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
AHHHH, WHAT THE HELL. I just watched the SECRET ENDING
WTF WHY IS CAIUS STILL ALIVE?!

It's debated when that scene actually takes place. It could be before the last battle, considering he can see the future and maybe he is commenting on that before heading to Valhalla for the last showdown; or it could be after it, but that's strange because he should be dead by that time as you know.
It's a typical Kingdom Hearts secret ending... and I loved that lol ~

I enjoyed the story. I'm sincere, it starts like shit and gets too much into comedy 'till chapter 3. But then... from chapter 4 I got sucked in. It felt like a Kingdom Hearts to me, and I like those type of stories that leave doubts around.

It's debated when that scene actually takes place. It could be before the last battle, considering he can see the future and maybe he is commenting on that before heading to Valhalla for the last showdown; or it could be after it, but that's strange because he should be dead by that time as you know.

I enjoyed the story. I'm sincere, it starts like shit and gets too much into comedy 'till chapter 3. But then... from chapter 4 I got sucked in. Feels very a KH type of experience, and I like those type of stories that leaves doubts around.

I'm not sure how I feel about the story, but I do know for sure that I can't wait for the DLC.
I really liked XIII's story. In this one the only problem I have with it is the time travel stuff seems to come out of nowhere... so, I guess I liked the story :) (especially the ending)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I enjoyed the story. I'm sincere, it starts like shit and gets too much into comedy 'till chapter 3. But then... from chapter 4 I got sucked in. It felt like a Kingdom Hearts to me, and I like those type of stories that leave doubts around.

The story
except for the terrible "cliff-hanging" ending part
is pretty serviceable to me. I'm glad that I don't need to rely on the datalog much to understand the entire story.

Perfo

The story
except for the terrible "cliff-hanging" ending part
is pretty serviceable to me.

But that ending really surprised you?
It's from chapter 4/5 that you know that's going to happen somehow. Both Serah dying (because she's like Yeul and has visions, her life consumed) and Caius winning (if he dies, etro dies). And I'm glad the heroes didn't find an easy solution to it like in most of the endings I've seen in jRPGs... to name one, XIII itself. Where just a "miracle" happened. Caius was destined to die and he died. So did Etro. Big questions remain of course, but I think the ending manages to close XIII-2 and opens the part to a possibile sequel. I'm way more satisfied by this "open" ending than XIII's one or XII to name the last two. It felt so "original" somehow. The heroes didn't save the day. How many times did you see that before?

But that ending really surprised you?
It's from chapter 4/5 that you know that's going to happen somehow. Both Serah dying (because she's like Yeul and has visions, her life consumed) and Caius winning (if he dies, etro dies). And I'm glad the heroes didn't find an easy solution to it like in most of the endings I've seen in jRPGs... to name one, XIII itself. Where just a "miracle" happened. Caius was destined to die and he died. So did Etro. Big questions remain of course, but I think the ending manages to close XIII-2 and opens the part to a possibile sequel. I'm way more satisfied by this "open" ending than XIII's one or XII to name the last two. It felt so "original" somehow. The heroes didn't save the day. How many times did you see that?

It's kind of foreshadowed in the last dungeon as well. During the fight between the fire and ice unicorn things Yeul even says that if they continue, something terrible will happen/disaster. I think it's because this kind of ending is new for a FF game. The good guys win in all the games before this IIRC.

laika09

If I learned nothing else from this experience it's that my taste in RPGs has wildly diverged from the Western critical mainstream.

Perfo

It's kind of foreshadowed in the last dungeon as well. During the fight between the fire and ice unicorn things Yeul even says that if they continue, something terrible will happen/disaster. I think it's because this kind of ending is new for a FF game. The good guys win in all the games before this IIRC.

Yeah that too.
In the last chapters there was an aura of defeat and loss all throughout the end. What I liked the most in general is the heavy atmosphere this game has. Apart from some lighter moments at start, it was a very depressing story the one told, and the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon too felt darker and lost with that destined future incoming. I think the game manages pretty well in letting you fight a battle you can't possibily win, hinting at it more than once but leaving you with a little hope to solve the situation. A situation that in the end, you couldn't solve. Like foretold.

Top Bottom