• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Lima

Really don't get the love for the voiced tracks in this game. The singing is all so awful. Just about no music in the game is offensive, but it's more like enjoyable elevator music in my opinion.

So you think you can ride this chocobo?

Saddle up if you think you can ride in this rodeo.

Damn I love this song. It is so stupid and out of place. It's hilarious.

bubnbob

Banned
So, what's the point? I tought I would get to use her at least half of the game, at least I won't have to buy those 400 spacebucks.

It's an optional challenge? That's why I bought it. Plus Lightning is apparently a pretty beefy monster, so earning her now would be pretty overkill.

kaioshade

OK to everyone saying this game is easy. I dont know if i am doing things out of order or what. I am fighting
the feary in archleytte steppe
. It is handing me my ass on a plate. Am i fighting it too early or something. I beat
Caius in Oerba
without too much difficulty.

mr. puppy

Banned
Well, i like FF13 more than this one.

dYs6a.gif

xxczx

Hm, not sure if this has been mentioned but you can capture the same type of monster by just renaming your other one.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I wish that the 'auto-battle' commands were more intelligent when in a paradigm with multiple medics.

It's like both medics will prioritize casting cure 5 times on someone with 85% of their HP still remaining rather than casting Raise on the dead target or casting Esuna to cure poison.

I have nooooo idea what I should be doing with the monsters. Not a clue. I haven't infused any of them yet and I don't know how I should even go about doing that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have nooooo idea what I should be doing with the monsters. Not a clue. I haven't infused any of them yet and I don't know how I should even go about doing that.

You can leave them untouched and level the ones who looks strong. Mine were mostly untouched.

My Monster Paradigms were Gold Chocobo (COM), Munchkin Boss (RAV), and Flanitor (SEN).

bubnbob

Banned

You can recapture monsters, so just infuse the stronger monster with the weaker ones who have a passive ability you want. You earn passive abilities by beefing up the monsters. Pretty straight-forward.

RPGCrazied

So, infusing my silver chocobo makes him win a lot more, but still some of the high end races he comes in 2nd even 3rd. Do I infuse him again, or do I need to start over from a level 1 chocobo?

Lima

So, infusing my silver chocobo makes him win a lot more, but still some of the high end races he comes in 2nd even 3rd. Do I infuse him again, or do I need to start over from a level 1 chocobo?

Get the gold chocobo for the races. Level it to level 45 and it will pretty much win every race. It is a beast on the track.

RPGCrazied

Get the gold chocobo for the races. Level it to level 45 and it will pretty much win every race. It is a beast on the track.

I thought silver was the best? Anyways, defeated long gui. Damn that was a long battle. 26 minutes, of course 0 stars an no drops. :p Oh well, just wanted the fragment anyway. Now all that is left is Yomi here. Uggh. Also, I couldn't get 99,999 dmg with Noel during the fight. I was mostly seeing 32kish.

Robin64

I think people are just saying silver chocobo is best because you can get it a lot earlier and start chocobo racing during the main questline, rather than waiting til right near the end for a gold one.

Riposte

Sorry I spoiled some information on the ending, but it was hard to consider it important to conceal when I've seen it talked about openly a lot in the passed week. I'll spoiler it if you move to edit the quote.

http://i.imgur.com/dYs6a.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I too think FFXIII is the better game. It took its combat system way more seriously. FFXIII-2 simply brought it back as a crutch and made it pointless through careless design (which is the to say "no design" - best way to describe encounter design in JRPGs with overpowering character progression). The sad thing is that FFXIII-2 should have been the game that made the battle system more than just novel and good relative to Final Fantasy/JRPGs, it should have made it great. The opposite happened. There are a few more areas where FFXIII is better(or areas where FFXIII-2 takes on the appearance of a lazy sequel), but I think if you stop specifically judging "JRPGs" in weird ways which is more focused on spectacle over the game then it becomes clear why one would think FFXIII is better than its sequel. Am I allowed to blame Tri-ace for this?

jimmypython

I think people are just saying silver chocobo is best because you can get it a lot earlier and start chocobo racing during the main questline, rather than waiting til right near the end for a gold one.

My white chocobo is dominating the race...never lost a single one

well yes, silver is easier to get...
what am I doing here ;)

Really don't get the love for the voiced tracks in this game. The singing is all so awful. Just about no music in the game is offensive, but it's more like enjoyable elevator music in my opinion.

I agree that a lot of them are awful and out of place, but there are a few that are ok in my opinion, like Noel's theme in a dead world or even the one on the steppe when it's sunny.

Just finished the main story, though I don't know what sort of ending people get the first time they play. Is it always the same? But yeah, it's...interesting. I liked all the events leading up to it; all the cutscenes, the fights and whatnot; but the actual plot of the ending is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Still though, I thoroughly enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought I would, so good going SE I guess. But let's have more of a traditional FF next time, yeah?

hamchan

6 hours in and this game is much better than XIII. It's a bit easy so far though. Also I don't fully get the leveling system. I'm just leveling up one class at a time and ignoring the other roles until I max my first class, am I doing it wrong?

rybrad

6 hours in and this game is much better than XIII. It's a bit easy so far though. Also I don't fully get the leveling system. I'm just leveling up one class at a time and ignoring the other roles until I max my first class, am I doing it wrong?
Kind of, but the game is so easy you don't have to min/max to win. The big spheres give extra bonuses (COM = STR, RAV = MAG)and there are a finite number of those spheres so you want to use those to level your main role. The exception is SAB which gives STR at even levels and MAG at odd levels.

Edit: Forgot SYN, even level is health and odd level is MAG.

RPGCrazied

Thought it was harder with
Noel alone
^^.

@RPGCrazied

Did you beat Yomi now?

Not yet, taking a break for lunch. I did beat long gui though. Hardest thing in the game for me so far. It took 26 minutes! Of course I did no debuffing. lol Also, trying to 100% the Acamedia 500 AF map, ugh.

RS4-

Fought Omega and Lightning twice each, no luck taming them. Boring fights, 5 mins each at my levels. I suppose getting their crystals is the only thing to come out of it as there isn't much of a reward in gil and monster materials.

RS4-

Beef up Noel (Odinblade, etc.) with STR, stagger monster, deprotect (optional), use Meteor Javelin, cross fingers

So, how do you go about getting the 99k damage trophy?

I had uhh, a weapon you get from Ochu but my STR was up to or close to 900 I believe with three bangles (the ones that give you 10% STR boost).

Then used javelin on long gui that was nearly come out of stagger.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I had uhh, a weapon you get from Ochu but my STR was up to or close to 900 I believe with three bangles (the ones that give you 10% STR boost).

Then used javelin on long gui that was nearly come out of stagger.

Javelin won't work. Here's what you should do:

1. Equip the Odinblade
2. Reach all 99 roles
3. Equip 2 Power Wristbands + 1 Durable Power Wristband (I don't remember which is which but they should total 100)
- This should make your STR over 1100.
4. Put a synergist monster with Brave in your paradigm
5. Fight a Long Gui and break its legs.
6. Have a saboteur put its defense down
7. Get Brave-d
8. Stagger the Long Gui till 999%
9. Perform scourge (attack before stagger resets to obtain max damage).
Profit!

Edit: Oh and don't forget to finish the battle so that the trophy will pop out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I honestly think that everything except the linearity was better in FF XIII.

Agreed as well.

Then again FFXIII was also kind of shit, but FFXIII-2 really messes up the few fundamental strengths of its predecessor.

RPGCrazied

1. Equip the Odinblade
2. Reach all 99 roles
3. Equip 2 Power Wristbands + 1 Durable Power Wristband (I don't remember which is which but they should total 100)
7. Get Brave-d
Profit!

Thanks, but fighting him again? Eww.. no way! :p I don't even have a SYN monster. Both Serah and Noel are 99 SYN's though.

Fought Raspatil yet?

Nope. :p

laika09

Thanks, but fighting him again? Eww.. no way! :p I don't even have a SYN monster. Both Serah and Noel are 99 SYN's though.

Nope. :p

Noel and Serah don't get bravery. Once you can kill him in one leg cycle the fight takes like two minutes.

It also helps if you use en-anything and imperil on top of deprotect.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm kinda surprised people are saying this game is too easy, just hit episode3 and got stonewalled by the big flan, backed up, used the eclipse fragment and am now getting murderized by Behemoths and the mid-boss in Yashas Massif...

Time to back up and grind I guess...

RS4-

1. Equip the Odinblade
2. Reach all 99 roles
7. Get Brave-d
Profit!

Edit: Oh and don't forget to finish the battle so that the trophy will pop out.

Which one is javelin? Isn't that the one that you use before stagger resets? I must've mistaken that for scourge then

Or is javelin Serah's skill lol.

bubnbob

Banned
I'm kinda surprised people are saying this game is too easy, just hit episode3 and got stonewalled by the big flan, backed up, used the eclipse fragment and am now getting murderized by Behemoths and the mid-boss in Yashas Massif...

Time to back up and grind I guess...

I was in the same position. Do the Yaschas Paradox monster first. It's probably the first major speedbump in the game. Do your grinding at Bresha Ruins for a bit.

Top Bottom