• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

I don't really know if I can really put it into words. It's more of a feeling that something's completely off. In FFXIII the main party just looked like they fit together from an aesthetics point of view (with Vanille and Fang being the obvious standouts due to plot reasons).

In FFXIII-2, it just doesn't mesh well together for me. It's just all over the place with the Pulsian aesthetic, the pop/hooker aesthetic for Serah, the weird ass bird aesthetic for Lightning, and the slightly futuristic real world aesthetic.

Well fair enough.

I myself am too poor for DLC and will just deal with the regular costumes.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Namdai-esque DLC prices. Damn this crap. If this game is not harder or as hard as FFXIII then I don't know if I want to play this.... It sounds like it'll be easy mode or something...

xxczx

Namdai-esque DLC prices. Damn this crap. If this game is not harder or as hard as FFXIII then I don't know if I want to play this.... It sounds like it'll be easy mode or something...
It's harder from what I've seen on streams.

Edit: I wonder if people would be able to do a monster-less run through.

Famassu

No, he mentioned in his past interview that his game schedule is move because of FF13-2 and the FF on PSP, to launch those games first.
Yeeeeah... no. That had nothing to do about delaying Versus in favor of Type-0 & XIII-2. Square Enix just has a policy of hyping their games in order of their releases, so Versus has still had to take the backseat when it comes to media hype. They knew in the beginning of 2011 when they showed the Versus trailer that Type-0 & XIII-2 would be finished before Versus and so they said that those would be marketed before Versus. It's as simple as that.

Also, before you throw around too much more of that vaporware BS, take into account that 1) Type-0 is a PSP game yet it also took "5 years" after its initial announcement to be actually made into something and 2) FFXIII-2 HEAVILY recycles all kinds of stuff from XIII, so of course it can be made much quicker than a much bigger original game like Versus.

Anyway after FF10, the FF franchise is dead , What i mean about dead is not about sales but quality.
:lol

Except FFXII is about ten times better than FFX, especially the International Zodiac Job System version.

Except FFXII is about ten times better than FFX, especially the International Zodiac Job System version.

Agreed....

I'd pay good money for a localized IZJS FF XII....

---

I am not sure what problem are having with Serah's default costume. I am only looking at the main promotional image of her.

Petrichor

Yeeeeah... no. That had nothing to do about delaying Versus in favor of Type-0 & XIII-2. Square Enix just has a policy of hyping their games in order of their releases, so Versus has still had to take the backseat when it comes to media hype. They knew in the beginning of 2011 when they showed the Versus trailer that Type-0 & XIII-2 would be finished before Versus and so they said that those would be marketed before Versus. It's as simple as that.

Also, before you throw around too much more of that vaporware BS, take into account that 1) Type-0 is a PSP game yet it also took "5 years" after its initial announcement to be actually made into something and 2) FFXIII-2 HEAVILY recycles all kinds of stuff from XIII, so of course it can be made much quicker than a much bigger original game like Versus.

I preferred the gameplay systems of FFXII, but the story and characters are some of the weakest in recent memory for me, FFX certainly wins out on that front.

jackdoe

I preferred the gameplay systems of FFXII, but the story and characters are some of the weakest in recent memory for me, FFX certainly wins out on that front.
I definitely agree with this sentiment. It was one of the most content packed FF's. However, the story and characters had potential, but it went nowhere with a lot of plot points. Like Balthier's
"Yeah that crazy old dude is my father and I was a Judge at some point, but let's not talk about the Judge thing ever again."

Toth

All of the paradox endings are loosely referenced with spoiler criteria on how to get them over in the FFXIII-2 wiki.

Someone who isn't streaming/recording their progress has confirmed that an additional ending sequence plays following the end credits after beating the game with 160 fragments (Leta is still at 159).

Only vague details have been posted about it, however. I'm still not sold on it
salvaging XIII-2 from being nothing more than a commercial for FFXIII-3... this is Xenosaga all over again except Square isn't being up front with their sales pitch like Namco/Monolith were when they went this route

Still leaning towards going the $20 bargain bin route here.

I am also not on board with the idea of a 13-3 especially since this was marketed to be the finale to 13. However, if the DLC continues the story from the ending (the developers have claimed that scenario DLC is coming), I will be satisfied. It would be an effective way of keeping the game going for a few months. I just want a finale for what looks like a fantastic game.

no story spoilers in my post but just in case.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I definitely agree with this sentiment. It was one of the most content packed FF's. However, the story and characters had potential, but it went nowhere with a lot of plot points. Like Balthier's
"Yeah that crazy old dude is my father and I was a Judge at some point, but let's not talk about the Judge thing ever again."

I'ma disagree. Balthier's past really had nothing to do with the plot of the game, its just an interesting tidbit thats never really explored and no reason for it to be. XII's biggest flaw is how Vayne essentially disappears the second half of the game, which is too bad.

RPGCrazied

How much are the costumes each on the Japan PSN? Not yen, the US dollar amount? I have 5 in my wallet, is that enough for one costume? Don't really care for Serah, so it'll be all Noel. If its $5 for one costume, I'll pass.

UberTag

For those of you looking forward to seeing
"the ending after the ending"
, Leta just earned the final 160th fragment in his playthrough stream.

FFXIII Twitch.tv Stream

I believe he may be going after some additional trophies prior to beating the game again to see the "A World Without Goddess" post-credits ending teaser

His delight at conquering this game is downright infectious.

RPGCrazied

For me, thats like skipping to the last chapter in a book and reading it. Oh well, to each his own. :)

I play for story, shit or not, lol.

UberTag

Why would you want to watch endings before you get to play the game? 0_o
Normally I wouldn't but after I
heard (and then saw) how downright awful this game's ending was the possibility of something... anything... better being delivered upon full completion
is going to be the ultimate factor in whether I purchase this game brand new or wait for it to hit the junk bin.

It's THAT bad. It's an unprecedented level of "slap the gamer in the face" awful. And I enjoyed FFXIII's ending. Don't want to even acknowledge this game's existence in a void of story-rectifying DLC / FFXIII-3 being available as it stands in its current form.

On the bright side, FFXIII-2 has an amazing soundtrack.

Foffy

Banned
heard (and then saw) how downright awful this game's ending was the possibility of something... anything... better being delivered upon full completion
is going to be the ultimate factor in whether I purchase this game brand new or wait for it to hit the junk bin.

It's THAT bad. It's an unprecedented level of "slap the gamer in the face" awful. And I enjoyed FFXIII's ending. Don't want to even acknowledge this game's existence in a void of story-rectifying DLC / FFXIII-3 being available as it stands in its current form.

Oh man. Are you serious? Like, I was made at the DLC scenario idea...

Knowing this could be a total breaker on me even liking the game.

RPGCrazied

I'm not highlighting that! :p But I want to be on a media blackout for this game, I've only seen a couple trailers. Specially since I'm spending over $100 for this game. I'm getting the NA CE and the CE guide book. I might buy a costume or 2, depending on price.

Toth

Hold on a sec. The ending (no story spoilers)
is not THAT bad as it stands now because it actually offers quite a surprise twist and brings the mythos of the series full force.

Now for a somewhat storyline spoiler,
I just am not sure where it can go considering this was always the end of the world scenario that was predicted if things went wrong.If this leads to a final battle with Lindzei and the 'Maker' in a download DLC, I am totally sold.

UberTag

is not THAT bad as it stands now because it actually offers quite a surprise twist and brings the mythos of the series full force.

I just am not sure where it can go considering this was always the end of the world scenario that was predicted if things went wrong.If this leads to a final battle with Lindzei and the 'Maker' in a download DLC, I am totally sold.
I have no problem with
"things go wrong"
endings.
I have a problem with a "now please buy this other thing for the real ending from out of nowhere" endings.

It's like forking out $50 to watch an Impact wrestling pay-per-view only to have the main event go to a time-limit draw and you have to tune in the next week to watch the ending of the match on TV for free (to borrow from a real-life example).

Except in this case you have to wait months (for DLC) or two years (for a sequel that most folks buying this game will probably go in not expecting).

Incidentally, I'm fine with episodic storytelling. I just don't like it when a company is hamfistedly blatant about it and acts in a disingenuous fashion about their intent. Even a small change like pitching this as "the next chapter in the FFXIII trilogy" would be an improvement.

7Th

Who will fight in said final battle? They're all dead!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why would you want to watch endings before you get to play the game? 0_o
Because I really don't care about the story or FFXIII's mythos anymore. Might as well get it out of the way so I can skip the cutscenes when I play it in English... and chuckle away as my friends wonder wtf is going on with the story when they play it.

For those of you looking forward to seeing
"the ending after the ending"
, Leta just earned the final 160th fragment in his playthrough stream.

FFXIII Twitch.tv Stream
Well... I just got home. Does Leta have that up recorded yet?

RPGCrazied

Because I really don't care about the story or FFXIII's mythos anymore. Might as well get it out of the way so I can skip the cutscenes when I play it in English... and chuckle away as my friends wonder wtf is going on with the story when they play it.

$60 and you'll skip the cutscenes? Unless you're going to get it used? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I liked XIII, story isn't bad as everyone seems to make it. It's a little complicated. I'm easily amused I guess, this coming from someone that actually liked Star Ocean 4's story. :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What the flying fluck? That was it?

Even Leta doesn't know what the hell to do! Neither do I. So...
Caius is alive, and says he wants to make a new world, one without a goddess? Edit: Oh, I know why this happens now, lol. Mmkay. It has to do with Caius and his relationship to someone else in the game.

Heh. Hahahahahahahahahaha! Unbelievable! It really does seem like FFXIII-3 is pretty much a given here.

Psi

Caius is alive, and says he wants to make a new world, one without a goddess?

Heh. Hahahahahahahahahaha! Unbelievable! It really does seem like FFXIII-3 is pretty much a given here.

Either that or DLC for the real ending. Lame.

UberTag

That 160 fragment ending actually made the first one even worse than it already was.

Clearly paying full retail to Square isn't GOOD enough for them. They want more of our money than just that. They think they're telling Star Wars. This is their Empire Strikes Back. They even froze Lightning in carbonite just like Han Solo. And instead of cutting off Luke's hand, Toriyama figured he'd just kill off Leia and R2-D2.

I'm so not paying full retail for this. Hell, I have good mind to hold a draw for my NTSC copy of Xenoblade Chronicles for anyone on GAF that commits to following my lead.

So...uh...guessing from the responses, trilogy confirmed then?

No matter, too hyped. Will spend hours and hours playing when Jan 31st rolls around.

MechaX

Keep watching the stream. It's actually getting pretty damn crazy right now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
$60 and you'll skip the cutscenes? Unless you're going to get it used? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I liked XIII, story isn't bad as everyone seems to make it. It's a little complicated. I'm easily amused I guess, this coming from someone that actually liked Star Ocean 4's story. :p
Gosh, I don't even know anymore. I want to play around with the battle engine/monster system, though. D:

But I've noticed that I've started to play RPGs moreso for the battle engine/ability system than the story because... uh, a lot of stories haven't really been engaging other than Trails and Radiant Historia. The games where I usually seem to be engaged in the storytelling seem to be Genso Suikoden, Fire Emblem, Trails, Tactics Ogre, other Matsuno stuff, Mother or some other RPGs/SRPGs like those. *shrug*

Edit: oh my god, GameFAQs is turning into a minefield.

UberTag said:
I'm so not paying full retail for this. Hell, I have good mind to hold a draw for my NTSC copy of Xenoblade Chronicles for anyone on GAF that commits to following my lead.
Wait a minute... What leta's playing through right now is
slightly different from the original! Caius's eyes are now red. I wonder if he's going to unlock those first three nodes?

Edit: Nevermind.
What about those nodes on the left? Those are driving me nuts.

Top Bottom