• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

RPGCrazied

So, without spoiling, it pretty much confirms another XIII game? or at least true ending DLC? From the ending. I ain't watching that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Leta just died for our sins.

Peff said:
Almost certainly DLC.
Yeah... that thought just occurred to me. :/

:lol :lol @
the fast forwarded speech
option. This is the best part of the game. Edit: I think FFXIII-2 broke Leta's brain.

MechaX

So, do you get like a big fat "To be continued..." after the ending or something?

If you really want an answer,
Yes, but the "Secret Ending" really only compounds the "WTF" factor by ten-thousand fold.
That spoiler contains some pretty vague spoilers, so it won't give away anything specific about the plot.

UberTag

So, do you get like a big fat "To be continued..." after the ending or something?
Yes. Yes you do. Please buy the sequel. Which may or may not be a commercial for FFXIII-4. We don't know yet.

Meanwhile, Versus remains indefinitely delayed in exchange for more games recycling the FFXIII assets.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you really want an answer,
Yes, but the "Secret Ending" really only compounds the "WTF" factor by ten-thousand fold.
That spoiler contains some pretty vague spoilers, so it won't give away anything specific about the plot.
Unless the game is supposed to be a complete time loop and he might have to beat it again. Nahhhh... FFXIII-3/DLC is more plausible.

Yes. Yes you do. Please buy the sequel. Which may or may not be a commercial for FFXIII-4. We don't know yet.
What's hilarious about this is that people actually wanted an FFX-3, but they never got it. I think people, if they were interested in FFXIII's narrative, expected closure here. But instead they got a poorly-written wtf-worthy ending which ends up setting something else up for either DLC or FFXIII-3... or Time Loop.

RPGCrazied

Even after 100% the game?

Oh well, I'm still getting the CE guide and game. :p Didn't they already confirm a Saszh DLC? Why would they do XIII-3? I liked the universe and all, but I think they should just focus on Versus now.

Eh I'll take XIII over versus. I haven't followed the streams so I don't know what the commotion is all about. While I was hoping XIII-2 would be the end of the XIII games, I have no problem with a XIII-3 as long as they keep making the game better. First step, no monsters.

MechaX

Unless the game is supposed to be a complete time loop and he might have to beat it again. Nahhhh... FFXIII-3/DLC is more plausible.

It would be funny if after beating the game for what... the third time now, he gets another scene with Caius, and he turns to the screen and says to the player "To find out why I'm alive, you have to uncover the secret of the time loop. To do so, please buy FINAL FANTASY XIII-2(Trademark) Downloadable Content and FINAL FANTASY XIII-3(Trademark), coming soon.

Foffy

Banned

What's hilarious about this is that people actually wanted an FFX-3, but they never got it. I think people, if they were interested in FFXIII's narrative, expected closure here. But instead they got a poorly-written wtf-worthy ending which ends up setting something else up for either DLC or FFXIII-3... or Time Loop.

I know I wanted closure with the game. Or at least a solid ending. I was the only one among my friends who liked XIII, and was on the XIII-2 camp to persuade them into giving the game a try.

I will no longer be doing such a thing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
FFXIII-3 sounds absolutely desperate, subtitle should be "you are the ones keeping us afloat".

Yeah, I'd be amazed personally if there was a 13-2.

I dont want to be spoiled here but from the way you all are talking they leave the ending open ended or on a cliffhanger? Is there any sort of satisfying conclusion? At least with x-2, even though the whole game was crap, the special ending concluded the series nicely and gave warm fuzzies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: LOL, Leta just despairquit streaming the game. The game broke him.

It would be funny if after beating the game for what... the third time now, he gets another scene with Caius, and he turns to the screen and says to the player "To find out why I'm alive, you have to uncover the secret of the time loop. To do so, please buy FINAL FANTASY XIII-2(Trademark) Downloadable Content and FINAL FANTASY XIII-3(Trademark), coming soon.
Based on the writing so far in this game, I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened. :lol

Oh Toriyama...

~Kinggi~ said:
I dont want to be spoiled here but from the way you all are talking they leave the ending open ended or on a cliffhanger? Is there any sort of satisfying conclusion? At least with x-2, even though the whole game was crap, the special ending concluded the series nicely and gave warm fuzzies.
I liked X-2... probably my favourite version of the job system in the series because of its flexibility and number of combinations of jobs you can have during battle. Plus it was quick. *shrug*

Anyway, to answer your questions in order...
First question: yes, it did. Second question: absolutely not; far from it.

Why would they do XIII-3? I liked the universe and all, but I think they should just focus on Versus now.
Don't they have to release a new game every 2 years or something now?

Thoraxes

I guess the "10 years of Nova Crystallis" really wasn't a lie, huh?

Also based on non-spoilery things posted here, I love crazy endings that make no sense and break people, so now i'm just hyped more.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I guess the "10 years of Nova Crystallis" really wasn't a lie, huh?

Also based on non-spoilery things posted here, I love crazy endings that make no sense and break people, so now i'm just hyped more.
I think the thing that most people seem to be dissatisfied with is that
the main ending itself is like a slap to the player's face, especially after fulfilling the requirement for the extra scene since that requirement in itself is very time-consuming.

Toth

the main ending itself is like a slap to the player's face, especially after fulfilling the requirement for the extra scene since that requirement in itself is very time-consuming.

Pretty much. However, nothing is going to be really clear until more people play the game or the Ultimania comes out with definite answers. Even after the 'secret ending', new things were popping up so...its anyone's guess at this point. For all the good will the game has had restoring 13's name in the community, the story issue needs to be addressed by them ASAP (confirming continuing DLC or a FF13-3) to avoid losing some of their international audience.

UberTag

In many ways, it's a double whammy of an ending because
it effectively stomps on all of the warm fuzzies induced by FFXIII-1's bittersweet ending while rendering all of the effort spent on FFXIII-2 to get an actual conclusion pointless. I would be hard-pressed to think of another ending that trolls its fanbase so effectively. The extra bit unlocked following the additional 50+ hours of grinding slots and monsters is just the icing on the cake.

Change the Future indeed.

7Th

Ending:

-Caias is defeated, everything is fine and dandy. Hope's plan worked, they're going to be able to wake up Vanille and Fang or something.
-Sazh gets Vanille and Fang's statues from inside Cocoon and then saves Serah and Noel from falling to their deaths. They meet up with Hope.
-Serah and Mog suddenly die without a single explanation.
-No mention of Snow is ever made.
-Killing Caius was the wrong choice, now the world is fucked. Everything is getting destroyed.
-Close up to a frozen Lightning
-TO BE CONTINUED
That's literally it.

Thoraxes

This all makes me pretty excited to play the game. I really like the concept of the universe they created, so i'm sure this will be great for me. Also, i'll have plenty of time to play the game, so i'm not too worried about what you mentioned in the spoilers, but yet again, I never really get uptight about those things anyways, so maybe i'm just easy-going.

anaron

Ending:

-Caias is defeated, everything is fine and dandy. Hope's plan worked, they're going to be able to wake up Vanille and Fang or something.
-Sazh gets Vanille and Fang's statues from inside Cocoon and then saves Serah and Noel from falling to their deaths. They meet up with Hope.
-Killing Caius was the wrong choice, now the world is fucked. Everything is getting destroyed.
-TO BE CONTINUED
That's literally it.

Looooooool

Please let this game bomb.

Well they said XIII-2 would be dark. If that's the actual ending then that sounds pretty bad ass to me.

Looooooool

Please let this game bomb.
Why? Tons of games end on cliffhangers? Why can't FF? The sounds like an ending that is radically different then the other FF games. Jesus, FF fans are never happy, this entire thread proves it.

"I want DLC"-XIII-2 Has DLC-FUCK YOU SQUARE

"I hate the FFXIII characters"-FF XIII Characters are killed-FUCK YOU SQUARE.

"I wanted FFXIII to have more puzzles and be less linear"-XIII-2 has puzzles and pretty open structure-FUCK YOU SQUARE.

"I hate the story off XIII and how it was cliche"-XIII-2 has insane story with dark ending-Fuck You Square.

MechaX

Ending:

-TO BE CONTINUED
That's literally it.

Hey, remember there is an addendum to that, as the stream today has pointed out.
Caius is actually alive. How and why he's alive? Dunno, but all that stuff that happened because Caius died? Seemingly didn't happen. Also, the end of the game after unlocking all of the fragments is actually the beginning section with Lightning, so the game is an eternal time-loop.

Rahxephon91 said:
Why? Tons of games end on cliffhangers? Why can't FF? The sounds like an ending that is radically different then the other FF games. Jesus, FF fans are never happy, this entire thread proves it.

Except for the fact that the game ends up backtracking on the entire "cliffhanger" part in a way that satisfies absolutely no one.

Eh I'll take XIII over versus. I haven't followed the streams so I don't know what the commotion is all about. While I was hoping XIII-2 would be the end of the XIII games, I have no problem with a XIII-3 as long as they keep making the game better. First step, no monsters.

Not up to date with the spoilers ...but ...you want a FF without monsters ???

is that even possible ?

so much blasphemy here

SOLDIER

I don't like all this negativity :(

Don't visit GAF.

While it's entirely plausible the endings are as bad as everyone says, it's clear the majority here just like to shit on the FF series any chance they get. That includes retroactively going back and shitting on the older games as a sort of "Now that I'm older and more sophisticated with my RPGs, I can see now the FF games as a whole are terrible."

Notice how the people who clearly don't have the game are the ones bitching the most about it, and how basic questions about "how is this" or "is this better" go mostly ignored.

Not to mention the constant comments about "I bet Versus doesn't exist anymore" even though it's been reported several times recently that it's still on track.

I'll wait to read impressions from people who are actually reasonable and not trying to add extra braids on their neckbeards as if harping on Final Fantasy is some sort of Mardi Gras "show me your tits" equivalent.

Except for the fact that the game ends up backtracking on the entire "cliffhanger" part in a way that satisfies absolutely no one.
It's the middle game, I don't expect to be satisfied. I expect to go wtf.
And wtf indeed with Light now a crystal and the world ending and then going back into a loop, obviously these things are not supposed to be.
. So does the ending set up a XIII-3 where hopefully you will be making sure none of those events happen?
Isn't that the point of Light saving Noel? I mean he wasn't in the original opening was he?
I mean I have no idea whats going on since I don't speak Japanese, but it seems like a XIII-3 will be about stooping this time loop.

Not up to date with the spoilers ...but ...you want a FF without monsters ???

is that even possible ?
I mean no monster party members. That's pretty much the only negative I can see for XIII-2.

Not to mention the constant comments about "I bet Versus doesn't exist anymore" even though it's been reported several times recently that it's still on track.
Jesus, I think you're taking jokes about the game a little too seriously.

so much blasphemy here
XIII was good. XIII-2 looks good. I can believe a XIII-3, while maybe pushing it would be good. I have no reason to believe Versus XIII will be good other then blind faith in the FF brand.

I'm still pumped for this game, I don't really care about the ending. And anyone who's not buying the game because of it is seriously making some weird priorities about their game choices.

MechaX

Don't visit GAF.

While it's entirely plausible the endings are as bad as everyone says, it's clear the majority here just like to shit on the FF series any chance they get. That includes retroactively going back and shitting on the older games as a sort of "Now that I'm older and more sophisticated with my RPGs, I can see now the FF games as a whole are terrible."

Notice how the people who clearly don't have the game are the ones bitching the most about it, and how basic questions about "how is this" or "is this better" go mostly ignored.

I'll wait to read impressions from people who are actually reasonable.

To be fair, judging from the reaction on various other boards, this definitely isn't just a GAF thing.

But more so, your reaction seems pretty scattershot; yeah, people in this very topic have acknowledge the improvements made for the gameplay. Some liked the changes, others have voiced that it was a step-back from FFXIII based on what they have been hearing. Most people have been complaining about the story, in which "well, you guys haven't even played it yet!" only go so far when considering that quite a few players have already sat through multiple Toriyama-written games as it is. I don't know what "reasonable" verdict you're going for, since it's most likely going to come down to "Gameplay has improved, story has not."

And I think the Versus comments are supposed to be pretty tongue-in-cheek.

Thoraxes

I don't like all this negativity :(

Just be like me and play games to enjoy them regardless of what others say. Don't let other people create your personal opinion on something.

GAF (or the internet for that matter) is hardly the place to go to if you want to see people like the same games you do and have people not call you a liar for liking something they hate for some inherent reason.

Himself

For the folks playing, my main question is: does anything interesting happen?

I mean something along the lines of the
Sazh/Vanille moment with the Chocobo and clock tower in Ch. 8 (I think it was)
from XIII? I couldn't finish XIII (gave up somewhere in Ch. 10, I think) because I just felt like nothing interesting ever happened even though I enjoyed the way the world was set up. There was just no...substantial personality to any of the characters (other than Sazh and Vanille) and absolutely no interesting scenarios other than "Run from here to here! Now do it again! And again! And again!"

Himself

I'm still pumped for this game, I don't really care about the ending. And anyone who's not buying the game because of it is seriously making some weird priorities about their game choices.

True. I'd say actual good videogame endings are very few and far between.

Yes that's the real question. Does the story have actual things going on throughout the game and are the characters developed well? Is Noel a good lead?

I literally lol'd at the ending. Oh, Toriyama.

But you know what? They killed Lightning. Christmas has officially come early. And Noel's still alive, bonus points. Maybe he'll be main character of the third one that nobody will play because they already got burned three times by Toriyama (this, FFXIII and The Third Birthday).

Yes that's the real question. Does the story have actual things going on throughout the game and are the characters developed well? Is Noel a good lead?

To my understanding, most people think Noel is pretty awesome in terms of being a main character.

Top Bottom