• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Therein lies my issue with the situation because what I see of the story. it is not too bad at all. I was hoping for
the main story to be resolved and then new DLC scenarios focusing on side stories.
Due to the nodes on the left not being filled in at all, the next step is certainly story DLC (possibly to fill those in).

I don't really want to say why parts of the entire ending happened that I'm going back and watching a few scenes (since it'll probably spoil people), but...
the closure criticism still sticks. My bf is saying that the website registration points directly to a sequel happening, but they still have scenario DLC to hand out, so I'm not totally committing to the idea of a third game just yet. I'd rather have something new at this point.

~Kinggi~

Banned
All i gotta say is they are damn near obligated now to make a 13-3 if the ending impressions are that unsatisfying. It just doesn't seem like a SE move to release a proper ending as DLC, unless it was free. Who am i kidding. SE fucking sucks.

MechaX

All i gotta say is they are damn near obligated now to make a 13-3 if the ending impressions are that unsatisfying. It just doesn't seem like a SE move to release a proper ending as DLC, unless it was free. Who am i kidding. SE fucking sucks.

The ideal scenario is SE pushing some pretty substantial DLC. Or at the very least, something that's more episodic but still story-heavy, more along the lines of Fallout New Vegas's DLC. But considering that SE is probably pretty new to this kind of DLC as it is...

I take it none of you saw FF Type-0's ending.

What, the
"everybody in the class dies" ending or the other alternate endings that some were discussing?

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know i may not be at all happy with FF 13 but knowing a Final Fantasy game exists that doesnt wrap itself with a bow makes me die inside.

Edit: And i know FF 13 had a fairly complete ending, but they ruin it with a sequel.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The ideal scenario is SE pushing some pretty substantial DLC. Or at the very least, something that's more episodic but still story-heavy, more along the lines of Fallout New Vegas's DLC. But considering that SE is probably pretty new to this kind of DLC as it is...

What, the
"everybody in the class dies" ending or the other alternate endings that some were discussing?

Dammit!!! I read the Spoiler!!! ARG!!!!!

kayos90

Everyone except Rem and Machina are dead.

And yes, they are coming!

Can you want to explain the ending in a quick paragraph? I don't care now since I know the ending.
Why are those two the only ones that live and Class Zero dies

Why did I highlight that. D:

Same thought here. ARGG!!! I'll be so angry when the official announcement for the localization comes. Dang it!!!

You know i may not be at all happy with FF 13 but knowing a Final Fantasy game exists that doesnt wrap itself with a bow makes me die inside.

Edit: And i know FF 13 had a fairly complete ending, but they ruin it with a sequel.

FF13 ended with enough of a cliffhanger to justify a sequel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I take it none of you saw FF Type-0's ending.
I didn't see it, but I heard about it from a friend of mine, lol. Outside of that, I don't know much about the game's scenario other than the stuff in the second demo.

Though I heard that
on the first playthrough... it was pretty messy, which included time loops and everyone but Machina/Rem dying in the classroom?

Edit: beaten.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FF13 ended with enough of a cliffhanger to justify a sequel.

FFXIII seemed to conclude pretty decently. FFXIII-2 plots feels like FFX-2; an overextended story to a decently concluded game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just to get this out of my chest, how would you rank the convoluted-ness + interesting-ness of these games?

1. Final Fantasy XIII-2
2. Final Fantasy type-0
3. Chrono Cross
4. Kingdom Hearts

I do like my RPGs with convoluted stories... As long as it's interesting.

xion4360

Just to get this out of my chest, how would you rank the convoluted-ness + interesting-ness of these games?

1. Final Fantasy XIII-2
2. Final Fantasy type-0
3. Chrono Cross
4. Kingdom Hearts

There's nothing more convoluted than Kingdom Hearts =P

Zoe

I already own XIII-2? So the obvious answer is Versus.

I think he's asking back before XIII was even released.

@Oemenia, the majority of the regulars here have always been more interested in Versus.

Edit: my game's in the States!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:
But I like Chrono Cross. Narrative has its share of problems (ie: confusing if you don't pay attention) but it's not the absolute worst out there. Honestly, parts of the sidequests and narrative (ie: Home World characters vs their Another World counterparts) the presentation, the amazing soundtrack (like, my favourite soundtrack ever), the wonderful Honne art and the battle system make up entirely for the shortcomings of the plot.

(inb4usernamequote)

Anyway, I think CC got more dislike than it deserved, much like how I think FFXIII gets more dislike than it deserves. And I think FFXIII-2 is getting more dislike than it deserves at this point, lol (because much of the dislike stems from the ending).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think he's asking back before XIII was even released.

@Oemenia, the majority of the regulars here have always been more interested in Versus.

Edit: my game's in the States!

Ah. Back before XIII's release it was also Versus. Versus has appealed the most to me since its reveal because I love modern fantasy settings.

ULTROS!

Ah. Back before XIII's release it was also Versus. Versus has appealed the most to me since its reveal because I love modern fantasy settings.

Same. XIII looked interesting for awhile but Versus XIII takes the cake.

I really enjoyed the January trailer though (especially that crazy dragoon girl spinning down from a plane).

kayos90

I agree. Plus the Shakespeare quote fits so well. I feel the drama and the weight of the story from just the trailer alone. It appeals to me waaaaay more.

Famassu

Meanwhile, Versus remains indefinitely delayed in exchange for more games recycling the FFXIII assets.
Versus isn't "delayed". As Kitase says in that Edge interview, Nomura & Co are working hard on finishing it. It's a big game, how hard is it to understand games like it aren't made in 2 or even 3 years (especially given that they've been making it with a somewhat small team until somewhat recently)?

chri5t

Given how much work they have put into Versus, I'm really thinking we're going to get the sequel treatment for Versus as well...

Given how much work they have put into Versus, I'm really thinking we're going to get the sequel treatment for Versus as well...

I honestly am fine with games companies doing this. While I'm no tech wiz, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to re-use assets already created.

SOLDIER

Just want to mention: You know what other game had a really terrible, abrupt ending that was also a bit of a downer?

Final Fantasy VII

PK Gaming

Seriously?

Dead serious. It looks like

The monsters don't carry it either. Now I know someone will come in here preaching about "balance" but my god, haste was such a fun spell to use and the game is already pretty easy. Haste was also really important in low level games too :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dead serious. It looks like

The monsters don't carry it either. Now I know someone will come in here preaching about "balance" but my god, haste was such a fun spell to use and the game is already pretty easy. Haste was also really important in low level games too :(

ffffffffff no wonder I haven't gotten it yet.

StuBurns

Banned
A Versus XIII-2 would almost certainly have to be a next-gen release, which would put it in a fairly different position than X-2 and XIII-2 have been in terms of their public perception I think.

kayos90

A Versus XIII-2 would almost certainly have to be a next-gen release, which would put it in a fairly different position than X-2 and XIII-2 have been in terms of their public perception I think.

A title change will happen long before that. They'll decide that Versus just doesn't fit in the Fabula Nova Crystallis installation and the FNC will die as we know it.

Pooya

1. Final Fantasy XIII-2
2. Final Fantasy type-0
3. Chrono Cross
4. Kingdom Hearts

"convoluted-ness"

"interesting-ness"

overall Type-0 has best balance imo followed by XIII-2 :p

XIII-2 plot is certainly interesting and convoluted :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kagari said:
ffffffffff no wonder I haven't gotten it yet.
Yeah, seems to be limited to Pre-emptive Strike buffs. The last skill Noel gets is グッドタイム.

Though what I want to know is if you're having more fun with it than FFXIII, and that's why you're enjoying it more than FFXIII? Like... what in particular about it is making it fun to you?

And I finally "get" the ending now. And now that I know what's going on and I kind of see what they were trying to get at, it was an interesting approach. I still maintain that it's kind of funny, partly because of
how people are going to react to it when they see it for real... and if they get 100% completion... and because of the stuff that happens in a 'wow, lol, this is pretty batshit' way.

ULTROS!

"convoluted-ness"

"interesting-ness"

overall Type-0 has best balance imo followed by XIII-2 :p

XIII-2 plot is certainly interesting and convoluted :p

Good enough for me. Can't wait for Semi-Convoluted Fantasy XIII-2

ULTROS!

b3e2dce8.png

e4de9a00.png

Holy macroblocking.

a1cb96a0.jpg

ab6d9d02.jpg

Ingame looks very close, which is good.

Wow... that sucks. I honestly didn't notice what you were talking about at first glance, though. I bet most 360 players won't notice either... unless that kind of thing is going on all the time in the 360 version. It's not, is it?

Glad I'm a PS3 owner anyway

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Aw Ultros, you didn't have to remind me how terrible Lightning's in-game model is.

This is a better comparison:

e0b48461.png

153c193f.png

Easier to see the slight differences here without that ugly model being in the way :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wow... that sucks. I honestly didn't notice what you were talking about at first glance, though. I bet most 360 players won't notice either... unless that kind of thing is going on all the time in the 360 version. It's not, is it?

Glad I'm a PS3 owner anyway

It will be most prevalent during high motion scenes. The issue lies within Bink video... a codec that can work great, if you have a good amount of disc space.

Top Bottom