• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I don't know what you're smoking, but Caius's Theme is definitely not a good track. It's very mediocre, you would have better luck choosing a different track.

I thought we were speaking of the genre :)
One thing I absolutely don't miss from the previous FFs is the lack of Uematsu. I'm very pleased with Hamauzu's work in XIII (and I think his contributions in FFX were amazing) and I'm especially fascinated by Suzuki, Mizuta and Hamauzu's new works in XIII-2. From what I heard 'till now, I can almost be close in saying that XIII-2 will feature my favorite soundtrack in the series.

Korigama

Nojima and Watanabe I believe.
The credits mention only Nojima in that role.

Scenario - Kazushige Nojima
Chief Character & Motion Coordinator - Shinji Watanabe
Directors - Motomu Toriyama (Event), Takayoshi Nakazato (Map), Toshiro Tsuchida (Battle)

...But then, I'm going by the instruction manual's credits, which neglect to credit Nobuo Uematsu with Masashi Hamauzu and Junya Nakano for the soundtrack as it is.

Toth

One thing I absolutely don't miss from the previous FFs is the lack of Uematsu. I'm very pleased with Hamauzu's work in XIII (and I think his contributions in FFX was great) and I'm especially fascinated by Suzuki, Mizuta and Hamauzu's new works in XIII-2. From what I heard 'till now, I can almost be close in saying that XIII-2 will feature my favorite soundtrack in the series.

As much as I love Uematsu-san (he is and will always be my favorite composer), I was glad he took some time off from the series and let others try out their skills. The results of FFX, XI, XII, and XIII were very successful IMHO (though Uematsu's Hymn of the Fayth theme is a masterpiece). 13 and now 13-2 especially are the best FF soundtracks in years.

fatty

I just made it to Chapter 11 on FFXIII and XII-2 snuck up on me, really snuck up on me. I didn't know much at all about it (including it was coming out) until Kagari's OP.

So Amazon is having a sale on the hard guide for pre-ordering so I came in here to get impressions to see if the game is worth it. I figured I would get the guide now and the game later when I got around to playing it (I'm really behind, I actually bought FFXIII when it came out).

Story still seems to be garbage, FFXIII is so convoluted and confusing and it doesn't appear that XIII-2 is any better. You would think that Square would get a clue at some point, especially considering how bad Final Fantasy The Spirits Within was, but their stories are just terrible, even for a videogame and that is saying something.

Game's difficulty also worries me. I would think that it would be on par with XIII since this game is geared to those familiar with the previous installment but if it really is as easy as people are saying then that doesn't bode well. Good battles are what is supposedly drawing me to the game and if they are too much on the easy side I don't see what the point in purchasing the game.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Several staff members contributed to the FFX's story (Kitase, Nojima, Toriyama, Watanabe, maybe more), but it was Nojima that wrote it. The core concept also came from him, I believe, and maybe from Kitase as well.

Maybe that's why FFX's story style is so similar to FFXIII's, even thought the writing was distinctly better for the former.

RaijinFY

Nojima and Watanabe I believe.

Motomu Toriyama and daisuke Watanabe need to get the fuck out of there, as simple as that. But look, here's the major issue at SE who else is capable of directing a project of this size in this fucking company? The reality is there's little to no one capable of handling a project of this magnitude.

Zoe

I still can't wait for this game...the only thing that scares are the QTE or Cinematic Actions as they call them...how are they? how bad does it mess you up if you miss some?,how fast do they appear on screen and how long do you have to react?...if you miss,do they come back with the same react button in the same fight or are they random...can I just ignore them and still be able to beat the ennemy just the same?

I don't know what it's like to miss them because they're ridiculously easy.

Pooya

I've played for like 42 hours now, some of my thoughts (spoiler free)

- mog clock/random enemies: I really don't like the new encounter system, I'm the kind of player that likes to stop and look around a lot, read text on the walls, watch the scenery etc, overall I play with a slow pace. The enemies popping on the map kind of ruined that feel for me here, I still could do that mostly but in some areas it gets really annoying.

The other thing for me personally, I like watching monsters roaming around in the map, I get the impression of 'wild life' in world from that, the world feels more alive to me like that, I personally thought Archlyte Steppe in FF13 was really cool first time I saw it, so was FF12. Now walking through empty spaces and enemies appearing doesn't feel good to me at all, there are still very few visible enemies, mostly the more bigger ones, but it doesn't feel as good as before at all, ymmv.

- graphics: some areas look very good, most are ok, some are just ugly, there are some very bad textures in this game. Framerate if you watched that analysis, it's the cut-scenes that can get bad sometimes, normal gameplay runs well mostly.

- battle system: as was said by others, yeah I think the game is easier than XIII too and I thought XIII was easy, so much that I don't even need to bother much with changing or customizing paradigm mostly. What I really liked in XIII was that buffs and debuffs were really important, I think they were handled the best there in the series, managing them and exploiting enemies weaknesses I thought it was very fun, here though they don't matter much for the most of the game so far that I played, I hope there are some more optional enemies that take more than usual to defeat, most battles here end very quickly for those things to matter. Omega battle was ok but nothing hard, I wish the colosseum was in the game already with a dozen of really hard enemies. I hope they consider a hard mode in future, just add something to stats of all enemies or something. again ymmv, depends on the player I think. overall FF games are not hard games but still I like more challenge.
There is the monsters inheritance system that lets you give new abilities from one monster to another by sacrificing one, I haven't really experimented with it yet because there was no need to, I wish the game encouraged these more with better battles for example, there are few cool monsters to get, customizing them is pretty good but still I'd rather have just another character.

- very few characters: I personally like plots involving quite a few faces, I like to meet new characters as story progresses, I thought XIII had a good balance, not too many, not too few. XIII-2 has very few characters relevant to the story, and the story part of the game is pretty short, I did it in 21-22 hours I think. I'm not going to say the story is bad or good, you have to see it for yourself and form your opinion on something like this, I think it was kind of entertaining for me personally but I prefer XIII's story and themes overall if I had to pick.

- Level design: some of the areas are pretty big, there are lots of branches to get around. some areas are comparable to hub cities in Mass Effect games if you played those. level design is better, you can go in whatever direction in some areas, some areas are more linear. I think it's a pretty good improvement over XIII.

- Costumes: they said they made the cut-scenes realtime so that you can see the changes in it but it doesn't look like there is any costume in the game right now (anyone?), looks like all of it is DLC, I don't think I will return to this game in a couple of months just because of a new costume, kind of waste, they should have had a couple in the game at least, there are just two characters, it's not much work.

- Music: I wasn't a fan of vocals at first but in the game they don't sound bad, I like that they experiment new things but I hope next time they don't do this. theme songs are good. Lots of returning music from XIII used very well in the game, overall I think it's better than XIII.

- Live triggers and cinematic action (dialog choices and battle QTE) they are pretty cool, they add nothing meaningful to the game though but still good to have I guess. QTEs are too easy and some of them in battle cut-scenes give a choice and change the scene a bit.

- Mini games: Xanadu only has chocobo racing and slots right now, then there are time labyrinth mini games. I never cared about mini games in RPGs, they are ok I guess, nothing special.

overall I think XIII does battles and encounters better and that was what I really cared about in the game, here it's a bit disappointing. I still prefer XIII between the two.

I don't care about review scores but right now I'm wondering what scores this is going to get from western critics, if I had to predict, I'm thinking 7.0-8.5 range.

MechaX

What I really liked in XIII was that buffs and debuffs were really important, I think they were handled the best there in the series, managing them and exploiting enemies weaknesses I thought it was very fun, here though they don't matter much for the most of the game so far that I played, I hope there are some more optional enemies that take more than usual to defeat, most battles here end very quickly for those things to matter. Omega battle was ok but nothing hard, I wish the colosseum was in the game already with a dozen of really hard enemies. I hope they consider a hard mode in future, just add something to stats of all enemies or something. again ymmv, depends on the player I think. overall FF games are not hard games but still I like more challenge.

This is the biggest thing I was actually worried about. I can deal with a bad-story, but some of these issues strike at what I considered to be strengths for the original XIII. Despite my issues with XIII in terms of pacing and its story, I think the main thing that kept me staying with FFXIII even during its post-game was the optional boss fights. A lot of those battles gave XIII's battle system infinitely more justice than any part of the main game; each role had its use and the higher difficulty also made said battles fun. While the optional enemies weren't impossible, there was simply a lot of them.

This is kinda what I was afraid of happening in XIII-2 when I learned that they were moving most of the Colosseum stuff to DLC. It's also disappointing to hear that Omega isn't really that bad. For someone who has fully completed the game or is pretty late in their fragment collecting, is there a pretty decent amount of optional enemies that pose a challenge, outside of the Paradox Ending-related enemies?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This is the biggest thing I was actually worried about. I can deal with a bad-story, but some of these issues strike at what I considered to be strengths for the original XIII. Despite my issues with XIII in terms of pacing and its story, I think the main thing that kept me staying with FFXIII even during its post-game was the optional boss fights. A lot of those battles gave XIII's battle system infinitely more justice than any part of the main game; each role had its use and the higher difficulty also made said battles fun. While the optional enemies weren't impossible, there was simply a lot of them.

This is kinda what I was afraid of happening in XIII-2 when I learned that they were moving most of the Colosseum stuff to DLC. It's also disappointing to hear that Omega isn't really that bad. For someone who has fully completed the game or is pretty late in their fragment collecting, is there a pretty decent amount of optional enemies that pose a challenge, outside of the Paradox Ending-related enemies?

I'm going through the game for the last fragment for enemy report right not and sadly even the trophy related monsters aren't that difficult. Do keep in mind that I've already maxed out Noel and Serah's roles. Especially if you played 13. I think the battle system, while good, somehow restrict the difficulty once you know how the stagger system works. They did make use of the new blood damage to create some new challenges for the seasoned 13 players though.

Overall it would have been nice if they had more challenging fights and give more meaning to building monsters. The monster system is actually quite engaging due to their many unique abilities and ways you could build them through decisions on what stat to boost and what abilities to inherit. They could have reduce the number of recruitable monsters though.

Rad-

Motomu Toriyama and daisuke Watanabe need to get the fuck out of there, as simple as that. But look, here's the major issue at SE who else is capable of directing a project of this size in this fucking company? The reality is there's little to no one capable of handling a project of this magnitude.

Hiroyuki Ito worked as a director on IX and XII, the two highest rated FFs! He still works there, doesn't he?

Psi

Seems like a really poor choice to make the combat easier. I thought the combat in XIII was best when it was more difficult and I had to switch paradigms frequently to make use of different classes.

7Th

I really don't get the love for Nomura. He hasn't directed a genuinely BIG project in his entire career other than Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, and the second was a rather mediocre game. Why are we saying that he is S-E's last hope, again?

MechaX

I really don't get the love for Nomura. He hasn't directed a genuinely BIG project in his entire career other than Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, and the second was a rather mediocre game. Why are we saying that he is S-E's last hope, again?

Because Versus at least shows some promise. That, and besides Ito, who does Square really have left that's not Watanabe or Toriyama?

7Th

Because Versus at least shows some promise. That, and besides Ito, who does Square really have left that's not Watanabe or Toriyama?

What promise does Versus show? The only bits of gameplay we've seen don't look particularly hot.

MechaX

What promise does Versus show? The only bits of gameplay we've seen don't look particularly hot.

Combat notwithstanding, more people are interested in the realistic setting, the large environments, and promises of a legit open-world map. Whether or not Nomura can actually deliver on this, it still shows some promise for most of the fans.

One thing I absolutely don't miss from the previous FFs is the lack of Uematsu. I'm very pleased with Hamauzu's work in XIII (and I think his contributions in FFX were amazing) and I'm especially fascinated by Suzuki, Mizuta and Hamauzu's new works in XIII-2. From what I heard 'till now, I can almost be close in saying that XIII-2 will feature my favorite soundtrack in the series.

Yeah, I love Caius' Theme. Appropriately brooding and epic.

The story is garbage.

Ugh.

Nojima is the best there...get him to write stuff. *sigh* Although, I think he is the main writer for Versus XIII, no? NO TORIYAMA OR WATANABE IN THAT ONE. YET.

I have no problems with Kingdom Hearts except being a little over-the-top and convoluted. Still, as a director, I think he leads the KH series pretty well. The games are very fun to me, the story is pretty good to me, and I just can't say the same thing when Toriyama directs.

In terms of directors, I guess I'd go: Ito>Kitase>Sakaguchi>Nomura>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toriyama.

Amir0x

Banned
Don't really know why you guys are surprised or angry, I knew it was going to be crap as soon as I heard things like Serah being the MC.

I'm certainly not surprised. One can safely assume any story associated with the FF brand will be crap, since they all are. I just thought it was funny how blunt Kagari was about it.

Zoe

I think some motivations are a little ridiculous, but overall I wouldn't say I hate the plot.

Then again, I was okay with the first game.

Don't really know why you guys are surprised or angry, I knew it was going to be crap as soon as I heard things like Serah being the MC.

I'd be more up in arms if I hadn't heard that Noel was a good a character and that the ending, at the very least, makes sense.

That said, I'm looking forward to everything else more.

7Th

I have no problems with Kingdom Hearts except being a little over-the-top and convoluted. Still, as a director, I think he leads the KH series pretty well. The games are very fun to me, the story is pretty good to me, and I just can't say the same thing when Toriyama directs.

KH 2 was as flat and linear as XIII, except with a much worse battle system.

Famassu

He might have not directed much, but he's more or less involved in quite a lot of projects around Square Enix nowadays. He's a bit like Miyamoto that way.

Also, while KHII might've been a bit disappointing with its world designs and difficulty (which was mostly because they listened to fan feedback from the first), they fixed most of the game's problems in Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, which is really a superb action RPG.

I also find the level design of both KH2 and BBS to be extremely bland. Another reason I'm unsure of Versus talk of big open worlds and such.

All these negative impressions about this game are making me want to cancel my pre-order...
I can't believe they would fuck up the best thing about XIII and make the game way too easy. :(

Amir0x

Banned
just play it yourself and decide. If you were excited enough to pre-order it, chances are you'll be able to overlook the flaws anyway.

faridmon

All these negative impressions about this game are making me want to cancel my pre-order...
I can't believe they would fuck up the best thing about XIII and make the game way too easy. :(

To be honest with, I see those impressions as positive ones considering the blacklash FF XIII had. Granted, I haven't read the whole thread, but from the small comments here and there, it sounds good.

Can anyone give me the link of the impressions I should read?

dramatis

Some people like Nomura because his name is attached to concepts and ideas they like from the games he shows. Other people think that he is SE's last hope not because he brings the sales but because he is at least pulling up the talent left at SE with him.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The story is garbage.
That made me laugh harder than it should have. I didn't expect you to be so blunt about it.

Ice cold. :lol

And people think floaty controls are bad....

Yep, when it faded to black.
Thanks--went back and watched it and things make more sense now. And yeah, even with the "feathery bits" or the floaty thing that both characters do when you hold down the button for jumps, it isn't working very well.

He got super-frustrated with the last dungeon. Especially the random encounters.

The other thing for me personally, I like watching monsters roaming around in the map, I get the impression of 'wild life' in world from that, the world feels more alive to me like that, I personally thought Archlyte Steppe in FF13 was really cool first time I saw it, so was FF12. Now walking through empty spaces and enemies appearing doesn't feel good to me at all, there are still very few visible enemies, mostly the more bigger ones, but it doesn't feel as good as before at all, ymmv.
Nope, that's what I like to do too. If the game gives me free camera control, I like to look around a lot. That's why FFXIII--both versions--took me a while. But since the spaces look emptier it doesn't really seem like anything's interacting with anything.

Oh--can you just stand around and look, or will random encounters be triggered 3-5 steps? My friend literally used the words "every 3 steps". Enc rate can't be that bad. I can understand it being bad in the tower, though. That place looks like it sucks.

- battle system: as was said by others, yeah I think the game is easier than XIII too and I thought XIII was easy, so much that I don't even need to bother much with changing or customizing paradigm mostly. What I really liked in XIII was that buffs and debuffs were really important, I think they were handled the best there in the series, managing them and exploiting enemies weaknesses I thought it was very fun, here though they don't matter much for the most of the game so far that I played, I hope there are some more optional enemies that take more than usual to defeat, most battles here end very quickly for those things to matter. Omega battle was ok but nothing hard, I wish the colosseum was in the game already with a dozen of really hard enemies. I hope they consider a hard mode in future, just add something to stats of all enemies or something. again ymmv, depends on the player I think. overall FF games are not hard games but still I like more challenge.
AUGH. This is exactly what I began to fear for when I saw people not using the other jobs. My friend's not even using the buffing/debuffing jobs because he doesn't think he needs to use them at all; he's winging his way through "harder" battles just with the offensive jobs.

This hurts the most. I didn't really care for CSB in FFXIII, but I genuinely loved that it enforced to the player that Defender, Jammer and Enhancer were essential to certain battles in the game for pure efficiency. If this game does not enforce that then the battle system might be boring. :/

Is it entirely possible to go for a Noel/Serah party without a monster to add to the difficulty or no? It also seems like the balancing that FFXIII had has disappeared in this game...

just play it yourself and decide. If you were excited enough to pre-order it, chances are you'll be able to overlook the flaws anyway.

That's probably true, Amir0x. That's what I'm gonna do. I thought XIII was a great game while most people hated it... so who knows what I'll think of this one. I'll just have to find out when I play the game myself

I think there's more positive impressions than negative ones, really.

Maybe, I'm just getting hung up on all the ones saying the game is way too easy. My favourite thing about XIII was the battle system and how challenging some fights were, so if XIII-2 really is a lot easier that would be pretty disappointing for me.

Neki

people don't want to get burned again though!

even though every game you play can't be perfect, or will be perfect.

Amir0x

Banned
man I thought FFXIII was so easy it was comical, so I can't imagine how they'd make it easier. In this one does the game prompt you be blindfolded when you're autogaming and autowinning? Maybe it just automatically chooses the right paradigm for you or something, instead of having a multiple choice of three viable options

Most of the negative talk is from people I don't share opinions with anyway and other then the game being easy, I'im not hearing much bad. Then again being easy dosent nesccairly mean bad and most FF's already easy. XIII was easy, but the fun came form killing the enemys as quickly as possible, so if that's still there, there's no problem. Either way, I'm going to buy the game and make up my own opinion.

Top Bottom