• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Huh? I meant that it's shocking that a new niche IP sold as much as a hugely popular franchise.

How much did LO sell WW?

Assuming it sold nearly 1m... EU PS3 LTD = LO WW.

Zoe

Huh? I meant that it's shocking that a new niche IP sold as much as a hugely popular franchise.

Putting "only" in there would have been a better indicator of your intent.

And almost everybody knew the PS3 version was the version to get anyway. Not to mention all those people who bought PS3's when it was thought to be exclusive...

RPGCrazied

Had my Christmas early, cause family is going out of town. Got some GS gift cards, will go towards paying off the game CE and the CE guide. :) Can't wait, regardless of negative impressions the game has been getting. This isn't the first game that uses cliffhanger endings. That doesn't bother me that much. It's really easy? Well, that will be a nice change from the difficulty in XIII. I saw the game over screen way to much for my liking.

jorgeton

Isn't the difficulty adjustable? I keep reading it's easy, but can't you just bump it up to hard?

Also, damn you SE for holding on this for a month. We should've had this in our mitts last week.

chri5t

Isn't the difficulty adjustable? I keep reading it's easy, but can't you just bump it up to hard?

Also, damn you SE for holding on this for a month. We should've had this in our mitts last week.

The only difficulty levels are Easy and Normal IIRC.

Grisby

FF magic is gone, not the same as before because of fallen quality. Multiplatform FF killed the quality of the game and since most of there great developers and designers are gone(Sakaguchi, amano, etc), FF is dead. Thank you MS for killing the quality of FF. Moving on.
Tee-hee.

"Run" is probably my favorite track. It's so awesome. Where does it play? An escape scene? Most of my favorite tracks aren't even from Hamauzu--they're from Naoshi Mizuta. I've never heard of him before but he's gooooood, at least from what I hear in this soundtrack.

If you like Naoshi Mizuta, I highly recommend checking out the soundtracks to FFXI and its expansions. They are wonderful, especially the battle themes.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
My Japanese isn't good but I thought/assumed
the team named themselves such as a tribute to her
?

Yes, you're right. I haven't been paying much attention to what people have been saying now that I've finished the game and are just going through the extra stuff, but I read through the Fragments to check.

Seriously? I lost a quiz because of a "luck" question?

This right here is what I've been raging about. I can deal with the other questions (as long as I have a guide) but the random screw you over questions are the worst. I got messed up three times in a row because of those and I gave up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well.. that's dumb. They should patch in a tougher difficulty, for those of us who like a challenge.
Watch extra difficulties be
paid
DLC difficulties. Or they'll come with the inevitable International Version.

Sonic 2006 had the Very Hard Difficulty option as DLC, for example. I think it was free. I dunno. I didn't want to play Sonic 2006 again, so I didn't care to download them. :lol

Lissar said:
A simpler story may have been more compelling.
It's funny you say that... (To be entirely fair to him, there are less in-game vocabulary items to learn in comparison to the first game, it seems).

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It's funny you say that... (To be entirely fair to him, there are less in-game vocabulary items to learn in comparison to the first game, it seems).

Well I suppose it is simpler by having fewer unusual vocabulary and by having clearer goals than the original game, but at the same time it is a time travel story (which is a complicated concept in itself) AND they don't seem to have clearly defined the boundaries of the world and its lore, which can run into problems (which can be swept under the rug as caused by Paradox... convenient.)

Did anyone ever figure out how to get to the other side of the Archylte Steppe...

Jump Fragment Skill allows you to jump over the barrier. There seems to be conflicting sources about how you get that one, but you probably have it already.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Kagari, just out of curiosity, which one are you enjoying more between Type-0 and XIII-2?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone ever figure out how to get to the other side of the Archylte Steppe...

There's one cactuer statue at the south part of the area you have access to. I can't remember which weather effect it is. Just try your luck. And remember there are 2 levers so 4 weather settings.

Jump Fragment Skill allows you to jump over the barrier. There seems to be conflicting sources about how you get that one, but you probably have it already.

This works too. But you have to activate 5 teleport statues and 3 statues that summon
Jumbo saboteur and beat them
before you can start doing the requests of there. It's just their way of working in the weather to effect things (other than having different monsters appear)

desu

So we're about 40h into the game, have unlocked quite some optional endings and have like ~115/160 fragments. I think the next 20-30 fragments will be totally easy too. Dont know about the rest.

How many hard enemies are there in the game? Only one I can think of is Adamntoise right now.

Perfo

I'm sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but lol, are there really random encounters? I don't believe it. No way.

Don't get it wrong. With random encounters we usually mean that you're forced randomly into battles. This is not the case. Simply the enemies ambush you, that is they appear randomly in front of you and "try" to attack you. You can evade and skip the battle whenever you want if the level design gives you the space to. Sort of Dragon Age II if you get what I mean.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
So we're about 40h into the game, have unlocked quite some optional endings and have like ~115/160 fragments. I think the next 20-30 fragments will be totally easy too. Dont know about the rest.

How many hard enemies are there in the game? Only one I can think of is Adamntoise right now.

There are another 3
at the steppes and some stronger, harder to meet enemies (like Tonberry) littered in various areas

I wonder how many hard enemies are they planning to add through DLC...

Since we're talking about DLC I've unlocked all the nodes except the 2 that's planned DLC. After using the view (of the Historia Crux) that arranged them into areas, the planned two DLC areas should be
Valhalla and Xanadu
. I'm hoping that the
Xanadu one isn't just card games..... And that the Valhalla one is more than just Lightning Coliseum fight. Lightning fight should share the same space as Omega

I'll have to wait for it to be in the bargain bin. A bad story is mandatory for SE but I wasn't expecting the game to sound as shallow, that the difficulty seems non-existence and the game is small (for FF standards)

It's a shame. The time-travel, updated Crystarium, paradigms, battle system and monster-raising made it sound like the game would be promising, also was looking forward to exploring the towns as well as playing the mini-games.

It seems SE just can't go forward without being catapulted back.

Perfo

I'll have to wait for it to be in the bargain bin. A bad story is mandatory for SE but I wasn't expecting the game to sound as shallow, that the difficulty seems non-existence and the game is small (for FF standards)

It's a shame. The time-travel, updated Crystarium, paradigms, battle system and monster-raising made it sound like the game would be promising, also was looking forward to exploring the towns as well as playing the mini-games.

It seems SE just can't go forward without being catapulted back.

You just listen to a couple of opinions on a forum and you immediately decide if you like it or not? Especially on regard to difficulty that is something related to the player's ability too. Sometimes I really don't get "fans".

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you just go in the opposite direction when the mog clock appears to skip the battle .??

You can except when the spaces are tight. You need to get away from the enemies that pop up. Some might chase you. Some will dodge when you try to pre-emp strike them. Some move rather slowly while others are fast.

Perfo

Can't you just go in the opposite direction when the mog clock appears to skip the battle .??

You can do it most of the times, the fact is that sometimes the level design is closed so your forced to battle. But I don't see what's bad about this, I don't know a single jRPG in which you can skip all the battles especially in the latest dungeons.

dramatis

You just listen to a couple of opinions on a forum and you immediately decide if you like it or not? Especially on regard to difficulty that is something related to the player's ability too. Sometimes I really don't get "fans".
Your defense of the game is cute, but you can choose to argue the game on its own merits instead of being derisive about people who are unswayed.

Zoe was referring specifically to the last dungeon, which is a bit tight in running space, and being on isolated platforms with no way out for longer than the mog clock time (timed platform movements...) make it more difficult to run away.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I will never read "X(number) inches of snow" the same, ever again.

WE GOT 7 INCHES OF SNOW TODAY GUYS

Lol...

Or "I've got Hope inside me" or "Lightning sure hits the right spots".

Zoe was referring specifically to the last dungeon, which is a bit tight in running space, and being on isolated platforms with no way out for longer than the mog clock time (timed platform movements...) make it more difficult to run away.

I like the look of the last dungeon but didn't like platforming either. There's still one chest that I can't get but I've decided to leave it since it's nothing great...Can't seem to get to it.

Perfo

Your defense of the game is cute, but you can choose to argue the game on its own merits instead of being derisive about people who are unswayed.

Lol, I didn't want to be derisive at all. I was just saying that everyone in the end is going to judge a title with his meter, experience, expectations and criticism. I read alot of bad things about XIII, still is one of my favorite games ever. This is to say that is always best to try by ourselves the games we're interested in. Of course, I'm speaking of who's really interested in a game, not who's just searching for a filler before titles for him more interesting come. It never happened to me to read about a couple of opinions, even if legit, and decide on that only to not play a game. I was just surprised by seeing so many people saying for example "too easy? ok I'll skip".

Look at NieR, considered a shit by every reviewer in the world... and many of us loved it. If you're interested in a game, just give it a shot, maybe you'll like it in the end.

Only those who finished the game already please answer this question, but please know that I don't know ANYTHING about the endings so please don't spoil anything for me.

is it true that there is a
"to be continue..." message after the ending?

If it is true... then I'm so F**KING MADE AT SE!!!

WTF?

So now what? they make
uncompleted FF games to make rooms for sequels and stories DLCs? a FINAL FANTASY game always ends with a fitting ending for the story.... not with a "to be continue..." message :\

Seriously, I'm very VERY happy now for the low sales the game got.... it make me sad because this is my favorite franchises and they took the right direction with FFXIII-2 to make a better game.... but they got very greedy and they needed to be shoot in the foot.

I hope they
ends it with only ONE DLC for the story
and THAT'S IT.

^^
Yes, it just ends with a 'to be continued' sign then followed with credits.

It just makes me want to wait until there is a GOTY edition or something of the game that includes all the DLC in it.

Mr YuYu

FF magic is gone, not the same as before because of fallen quality. Multiplatform FF killed the quality of the game and since most of there great developers and designers are gone(Sakaguchi, amano, etc), FF is dead. Thank you MS for killing the quality of FF. Moving on.

lol. I thought Square-enix made this game?
I feel you on the FF magic being gone but MS killing FF is kinda retarded...

FreeMufasa

I haven't read/watched much in fear of spoilers but regarding the endings. Are they successive in that each one builds off the other? For example you get an ending, do something and you get more to that ending, do a little more and you get the full ending.

Or is it like WRPGs where you have a good ending, neutral and bad ending, with neither being the true ending. Hope it's former.

Neki

You can do it most of the times, the fact is that sometimes the level design is closed so your forced to battle. But I don't see what's bad about this, I don't know a single jRPG in which you can skip all the battles especially in the latest dungeons.

FF13 lets you skip alot of battles.

one of the reasons I really liked it.

Zoe

I wouldn't mind the random encounters if the encounter rate weren't so high in the places where it's really hard to run.

dramatis

I haven't read/watched much in fear of spoilers but regarding the endings. Are they successive in that each one builds off the other? For example you get an ending, do something and you get more to that ending, do a little more and you get the full ending.

Or is it like WRPGs where you have a good ending, neutral and bad ending, with neither being the true ending. Hope it's former.
The short answer? No.

The long answer? No. The "optional endings" are not "beat the final boss with Evil maxed or Good maxed", but rather as someone described it, endings that occur under certain conditions in the story that can be fixed by doing XYZ. See Radiant Historia and Corpse Party. There is only one ending after the initial ending, and HOHOHOHO regarding that ending.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

The Paradox endings are more like, "That's how it could have happened, but...!" endings. Mostly they just seem like "oops, you messed up, try again" type endings. Though the real ending already seems like a bad ending...

On the other hand, Pudding ending is best ending. FFXIII-2 redeemed (sort of.)

All this talk about a story that is apparently several light years beyond FF13 in terms of shittiness has really put me off this game. I decided to check out descriptions of the 'canon' ending.

Good lawd, I need a link to a video of this(if anyone has one, PM it to avoid having a mega-spoiler in the thread).

Toth

I wonder when SE is going to address the lower sales of the title and the future of the 13 series? Again I am comfortable if the story is continued in DLC but I would like to know what I am waiting for ><

Desmond

What world map.

KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom