• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

komorebi

Glad to see so much love for the amazing music in this game. I've seen simpletons dismisss the entire OST (and game) just because of Wild Chocobo or Limit Break when the rest of the soundtrack is loaded with incredible songs. Its really one of the best JRPG scores out there.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Glad to see so much love for the amazing music in this game. I've seen simpletons dismisss the entire OST (and game) just because of Wild Chocobo or Limit Break when the rest of the soundtrack is loaded with incredible songs. Its really one of the best JRPG scores out there.

Wait you mean those aren't incredible? I demand satisfaction.

My favorite FF XIII game.
Also I'm biased because I like complicated time-travel stories.

I would argue it's not even a complicated time-travel story. The reasons why the characters are mucking around in time itself are well explained and make sense, well as much sense as a time travel story can possibly make. It certainly doesn't go off the deep end like the end of FF 13.

I was a big fan of XIII-2, felt like it fixed all the major flaws of the first game and I was really surprised at how good Serah and Noel were as characters.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I would argue it's not even a complicated time-travel story. The reasons why the characters are mucking around in time itself are well explained and make sense, well as much sense as a time travel story can possibly make. It certainly doesn't go off the deep end like the end of FF 13.

I was a big fan of XIII-2, felt like it fixed all the major flaws of the first game and I was really surprised at how good Serah and Noel were as characters.

The game has trouble defining the time travel rules and keeping it consistent though. The whole
"if you change the future you change the past"
thing can be confusing.

Caffeine

if people are having issues with 13 running at 30fps after it dips i wonder if a program like forcefix set to 60hz would fix that? i know metal gear rising had a similar issues where it could dip to 24fps and stay there but with force fix it never dipped below 60 in my latest playthrough. this is where that fix was http://steamcommunity.com/app/235460/discussions/0/630802344702757872/

I would test it but i don't have 13 installed anymore after i beat it for space reasons.

i noticed last night at midnight 13-2 had a 100mb update still not unpacking though gotta wait another hour i guess :/

Corpekata

Banned
Out in a few minutes it appears. I hope people come back with reports that it does not have a wildly fluctuating FPS like 13 did.

Mohasus

if people are having issues with 13 running at 30fps after it dips i wonder if a program like forcefix set to 60hz would fix that? i know metal gear rising had a similar issues where it could dip to 24fps and stay there but with force fix it never dipped below 60 in my latest playthrough. this is where that fix was http://steamcommunity.com/app/235460/discussions/0/630802344702757872/

I would test it but i don't have 13 installed anymore after i beat it for space reasons.

i noticed last night at midnight 13-2 had a 100mb update still not unpacking though gotta wait another hour i guess :/

MGR detected your resolution @24Hz, it wasn't dropping frames.

edit: it's happening!

Mohasus

1F288AB63CC7DBA810698F9E230E3735BAC379CD

DLC.

Adaren

Kind of odd that it's not the full DLC list, but I guess the AC/Mass Effect outfits must have some special agreements behind them.

They got the best looking outfits, so that's what counts!

Are the DLC weapons there too?

How's the frame rate looking?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Kind of odd that it's not the full DLC list, but I guess the AC/Mass Effect outfits must have some special agreements behind them.

They got the best looking outfits, so that's what counts!

Are the DLC weapons there too?

How's the frame rate looking?

DLC outfits and weapons in question feature designs provided by other parties, which is why they aren't in.

Adaren

DLC outfits and weapons in question feature designs provided by other parties, which is why they aren't in.

Never realized that the DLC weapons were designed by people outside Square Enix! I guess that makes sense then.

It's probably for the better not to have them anyway, since they'd only further disrupt the game's questionable balancing.

Mohasus

Noel's DLC
A7C6499F287A6A5247EB4A5D64C73C297C1EDF0B

Random screenshot (there are tons of mog costumes!):
F749D80C7CA83A7FF6E556E8FC71D4A1C7B2CFCB

The framerate is WORSE than FFXIII's, I'm not joking. I barely saw the game hit 60FPS and GPU usage didn't go over 50%.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Framerate is woeful. Generally sags in intensive cutscenes which is how it was on consoles. What the everloving.

Also, the overcompressed audio problem persists from the first game.

komorebi

Why does it disable the Steam overlay? I can't get any screenshots to work and all it shows are keyboard prompts, no controller buttons. Is this normal? I didn't play the PC port of 13.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Unbelievable

Framerate is woeful. Generally sags in intensive cutscenes which is how it was on consoles. What the everloving.

Also, the overcompressed audio problem persists from the first game.

Framerate was expected, unfortunately. But how the fuck do you get compressed audio with a 28 GB download? Is the opening CG compressed again as well? What the ever loving fuck, Square?

Mohasus

For some reason it isn't showing RivaTurner's OSD in screenshots, but the framerate is way worse than XIII's (I played it today to test the new patch).

30fps for a good while and under 40% GPU usage, then it goes to 40~50fps and locks again at 30.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Is the opening CG compressed again as well? What the ever loving fuck, Square?

CG is the same but there's really only two FMVs, one at the start and one at the end. I don't think they could really do much with FMVs here considering they were probably forced into using Bink.
FPS issues are just mindboggling. It must be stated that this is still strikingly better than console release which at times slideshowed so much I could scarcely tell what's going on, but... Oh wow.

Dr Dogg

Well it's been a little wonky for me so far. Tutorial battle glitched out on my first attempt which let me carry on issuing commands whilst the screen was just showing the ocean bobbing up and down. Then I got a couple of hangs that I had to quit out of.

Performance looks to be the same dealio with XIII, if you can't hold a steady 16.6ms update at around 70% gpu usage you'll get dropped to a 33.3ms update. Was bouncing between the both all through the opening section. Also you'll need to have Power Management (GPU Drivers and Windows) set to maximum or you'll more than likely get downclocked and under utilization.

Still arbitrary resolution support out the box is a step up from XIII.
3840x2160>1920x1080 said:
Also there's setting for shadow map resolution and MSAA sample count to a mind boggling (and GPU frying) x16!

Watch Lightning Returns' framerate somehow be worse than the PS3 version. Loved that game but the framerate was bad. You'd think they'd be using this as a means to iron this stuff out instead of the other way around.

CG is the same but there's really only two FMVs, one at the start and one at the end. I don't think they could really do much with FMVs here considering they were probably forced into using Bink.
FPS issues are just mindboggling. It must be stated that this is still strikingly better than console release which at times slideshowed so much I could scarcely tell what's going on, but... Oh wow.

Would it kill them to use Libavcodec? That's open sourced and allows them to use the superior MP4 PS3 FMVs

squall211

People crap on FFXIII-2's music but I love it. Sure its more popish techno whatever but its catchier then most of the songs in FXIII aside from a few. Plus with a good pair of headphones the tracks sound even better.

You and me both. I'd put XIII-2's OST in my top 5 of that generation. I've listened to it countless times.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Watch Lightning Returns' framerate somehow be worse than the PS3 version. Loved that game but the framerate was bad. You'd think they'd be using this as a means to iron this stuff out instead of the other way around.

It's not gonna be worse, it's better in the two games that are out, it's just it's unstable for no particular reason.

Would it kill them to use Libavcodec? That's open sourced and allows them to use the superior MP4 PS3 FMVs

Can it just be freely used in commercial products?

leazo

Banned
No matter what settings are picked it just turns into a black screen and gets stuck there after the Square-Enix logo, anyone else with this issue?

Top Bottom