• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
IronFistedChampion said:
My Lightning doesn't have Renew and using Combat Clinic is pointless as she's a Lvl.1 MED. Only Hope and Snow have Renew, but they can't use it because I'm controlling Lightning.

Wow what have you been spending your Crysterium Points on? You could switch to Hope or Snow to play, Renew was a near always must use for me in all the fights. I guess one more strategy is to use the paradigm where you always have a healer and sentinel, and always switch to that when someone dips into the red for health. The problem with taking too much time on the boss is that after around 14+ minutes it will cast Doom :(

lupin23rd

IronFistedChampion said:
My Lightning doesn't have Renew and using Combat Clinic is pointless as she's a Lvl.1 MED. Only Hope and Snow have Renew, but they can't use it because I'm controlling Lightning.

Combat Clinic is a paradigm - Medic / Sentinel / Medic

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow what have you been spending your Crysterium Points on? You could switch to Hope or Snow to play, Renew was a near always must use for me in all the fights. I guess one more strategy is to use the paradigm where you always have a healer and sentinel, and always switch to that when someone dips into the red for health. The problem with taking too much time on the boss is that after around 14+ minutes it will cast Doom :(
COM and RAV. I never thought I'd have to use Lightning as a Medic so I didn't bother. :(

Edit: I'm gonna grind a bit so I can upgrade my MED.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
finally got time to play..i thought that chapters 3-6 were punishments from god..thankfully the game seems to have opened up and is finally getting fun

ZephyrFate said:
Medic is one of Lightning's primary roles -- you very well SHOULD be upgrading that.
She's a shitty medic compared to Hope and Vanille, but yes you absolutely should be because you'll need her as one anyway.

ZephyrFate said:
She's fine in the endgame when her MAG is so high anyway.

Having her known Renew though is pretty much needed if one doesnt want to be healing quite so often when they could deal maximum damage. The medic role also had nice HP crystals on the crysterium.

sonitii

Yeah. A paradigm with multiple healers like Combat Clinic is really useful when you need to quickly heal your party after a devastating boss attack. You can then quickly switch back to damage dealing with little downtime.

leng jai

grumble said:
It's not a thirty minute boss fight at all. Here's how to do it (using light/hope/fang):

1. Use COM/SYN/SAB to start. After Libra, sit in this until you've got a bunch of buffs/debuffs going.
2. Use RAV/RAV/COM. Get right up to stagger, then switch to
3. MED/MED/SEN. Once healed, switch to
4. RAV/RAV/COM. Stagger, get the meter up to a decent level, then
5. COM/RAV/COM. Pound away until the stagger's done, then
6. MED/MED/SEN.
At this point, either the boss uses thanosian laughter and you'll need to reapply buffs/debuffs, or you can get back to RAV/RAV/COM until he does. Don't ever let your HP get low or the super beam spray will game over you. When staggered, use COM/RAV/COM, but don't prioritize damage over healing.

I beat the boss in a few minutes. I actually found that boss very easy using that strategy. Try it out.

I went back to grind a bit and then tried your strategy. Worked straight away (thanks) but it still took me 20 minutes, and for some reason he never cast Doom on me. The strategy they teach you in the official guide is crap and makes you use Fang as a sentinel 80% of the time.

Is it just me or does FFXIII get AWESOME at chapter 12. The opening cinematic is a 10 minute jizzfest and the in-game visuals are easily the best in the game yet. Your characters also seem to get a bunch of cool moves in the expanded Crysterium. Lighning gets Army of One (not sure how useful it is but it certainly looks swell), Fang gets Highwind and Hope finally gets Haste. Loving it.

Claire
is absolutely useful to upgrade as a Medic. She gets Raise, Esuna, and Cura. Those are all really useful in almost any situation you encounter, and especially against bosses unless you are controlling Vanille or Hope as the party leader, you NEED to supplement the main Medic with your own healing or your party is fucked due to the AI never doing what you need it to do in many healing situations.

As for the Chapter 11 boss, I don't know why some of you guys are so hellbent on tackling him with half-filled (or unfilled) Crystariums or your starter weapons from Chapter 1 of the game. I mean, seriously, you NEVER upgraded Medic on
Claire
at all even though it's one of her 3 main jobs? And now you're pissed that he's raping your face?

Before I tangled with
Pope Fal'cie
for the second time at the end of Chapter 11, I finished the Stage 8 Crystarium and I didn't even upgrade my weapons, my party was
Claire
, Fang, and Vanille. I didn't even have a buffer in my party because I don't like Hope, this party was pretty suboptimal since I had 2 SAB and no SYN, I was using Lv.1 Blazefire Saber, Bladed Lance, and Belladonna Wand, and I had him down my first try in just under 7 minutes. This game isn't a cake walk like FFX was, but it's certainly not Shin Megami Tensei bullshit hard either. :lol

Irnbru

Hey guys, any way to get Light to use army of one more often when Im not controlling her? She never seems to use it, even in the best situations ( staggered enemies ). Ugh I wish there was more control over your teammates.

Edit: Yeah Light/Hope/Fang is my best. Although I wish I could Sazh, but him being a limited healer is a nono compared to Hope :X

Edit 2: Would anyone else liked to have seen a double dungeon ala FF6? God, seeing everyone get the same exp makes me wish there were a couple dungeons where you had to switch between two teams to finish a dungeon.

Styles

vicktormerv said:
Hey guys, any way to get Light to use army of one more often when Im not controlling her? She never seems to use it, even in the best situations ( staggered enemies ). Ugh I wish there was more control over your teammates.

Edit: Yeah Light/Hope/Fang is my best. Although I wish I could Sazh, but him being a limited healer is a nono compared to Hope :X

You can only use it when you're in control of her.

ZephyrFate said:
In terms of covering all the bases and dealing great damage, Fang/Lightning/Hope is the overall best team.

I've been running the YuRiPa trio of Light/Fang/Vanille. No buffs, but it's funny seeing the boss with an entire row of red debuff icons as long as his life bar is. :lol

ZephyrFate said:
Hah, god I miss X-2.
Pop it in! If you haven't saved your New Game+ save you're a bad person.

edit: seriously does anyone like using Snow in battle at all because he's a good Sentinel but is basically boring in all other ways. Sazh may have crappy stats, but all of his multi-hit attacks mean you can basically do without a Genji Glove for him and still pump out more than 99,999 damage per Attack turn taken.

burgerdog

Vect said:
In order to get the Treasure Hunter Trophy do I have to equip them or just have them in my inventory?
They just have to be in your inventory. Use yoshisan's method: make all the accessories then sell them to get a lot of your gil back. Create a separate save file if you wish to save.

Unknown Soldier said:
I've been running the YuRiPa trio of Light/Fang/Vanille. No buffs, but it's funny seeing the boss with an entire row of red debuff icons as long as his life bar is. :lol

So wait, if Vanille is Rikku then who's Yuna and who's Paine?

Styles

burgerdog said:
They just have to be in your inventory. Use yoshisan's method: make all the accessories then sell them to get a lot of your gil back. Create a separate save file if you wish to save.

Excellent, thanks.

vicktormerv said:
Edit 2: Would anyone else liked to have seen a double dungeon ala FF6? God, seeing everyone get the same exp makes me wish there were a couple dungeons where you had to switch between two teams to finish a dungeon.

Isn't that pretty much the first half of the game? There are certainly several locations where you actually do have to swap between different parties at various points in a dungeon.

Dedication Through Light said:
How did you get past the Protoclod with that team?

I'm assuming you mean the Proudclad. Yeah, he's not susceptible to ANY debuffs, the son of a bitch. I just beat the shit out of him until he fell over, it took forever and I only got 2 stars for it. It took me 3 Staggers to wear him down, and that Retaliatory Strike he does after the Stagger ends is total bullshit. He didn't have a rare drop anyways, and you always get the common drop, so I didn't care about my star rating for it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fimbulvetr said:
So wait, if Vanille is Rikku then who's Yuna and who's Paine?

Lightning is obviously Paine
Snow is obviously Yuna.

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm assuming you mean the Proudclad. Yeah, he's not susceptible to ANY debuffs, the son of a bitch. I just beat the shit out of him until he fell over, it took forever and I only got 2 stars for it. It took me 3 Staggers to wear him down, and that Retaliatory Strike he does after the Stagger ends is total bullshit. He didn't have a rare drop anyways, and you always get the common drop, so I didn't care about my star rating for it.

lol, I could imagine it would be a struggle too, lol. Retaliatory Strike was probably the only time in the game where I was in suspense cause its just, in my opinion over the top, powerful, and just probably made my mind blown at, if it were real, how brutal an assault would be. Haste was definitely help

Unknown Soldier said:
This is incorrect: I've gotten Deshell, Deprotect, and Slow on him, but Slow didn't do shit.

B.K. said:
I've got a question about crystallization.
When Serah became a crystal, why did she literally turn to crystal, but when Dazh became one, it just looks like he's stuck inside one?

Maybe its the difference between
Pulse and Cocoon l'cie

YEEEESSSSS. Tonight was a fantastic night for ingot hunting for me.

I now have all the weapons for all characters maxed out at their 1st level aside from 4 tier 3 weapons already made. Now i just have to upgrade most of them to teir 2 and im almost done!!!

My problem is though it looks like there is only 3 transformational items i can buy. How do i get most of them. Is there a guide out there for this specifically?

The fight lasted 23 mins, but I finally managed to beat
Barth

This is only like my second Final Fantasy game and the last one I played (didn't finish) was X. I suck at this.
:lol :lol

Gamer @ Heart said:
YEEEESSSSS. Tonight was a fantastic night for ingot hunting for me.

I now have all the weapons for all characters maxed out at their 1st level aside from 4 tier 3 weapons already made. Now i just have to upgrade most of them to teir 2 and im almost done!!!

My problem is though it looks like there is only 3 transformational items i can buy. How do i get most of them. Is there a guide out there for this specifically?
You can get all transformational items, for the most part, at The Motherlode.

Rpgmonkey

vicktormerv said:

Something like that would've been a nice way to spice up Chapters 10-13.

leng jai

IronFistedChampion said:
I just started Chapter 10. My battle team consists of Lightning as COM/MED, Fang as SAB/SEN, and Sazh as SYN. Any tips/suggestions or changes I should make?

Sazh IMO is the most useless character in the game. Fang is an excellent Commando as well, and by the last third of the game you're going to have to get used to using all 3 roles for each character.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
leng jai said:
Sazh IMO is the most useless character in the game. Fang is an excellent Commando as well, and by the last third of the game you're going to have to get used to using all 3 roles for each character.

I'm near the end of chapter 11 and pretty much always use Sazh, even if most of that is because he has Haste. I'm guessing Hope will be able to do that soon, and then I'll drop him, but I found him to be incredibly useful up to this point.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
leng jai said:

I heard Sazh is underrated as a Commando.
His Blitz attack is instantaneous(?) & hits everyone regardless how far away they are.

leng jai said:
Sazh isn't useless at that point, though, because he's the only character who has haste. Personally I never used Snow unless I was forced to, not because I dislike the character (although I do) but because he didn't seem to have much use outside of being a bullet sponge sentinel, and Fang is perfectly adequate at that anyway.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sazh has Haste very early on!

But no, I haven't really used him either. Great personality though. :lol

desverger

IronFistedChampion said:
I just started Chapter 10. My battle team consists of Lightning as COM/MED, Fang as SAB/SEN, and Sazh as SYN. Any tips/suggestions or changes I should make?

Despite what you might think, Sazh makes and excellent COM and a good SYN. Sure, he might not get Launch, but I've been running Fang-Light-Sazh as COM-RAV-COM or even COM-COM-COM. Totally annihilates groups of enemies. Ruingaaaaaa!!

icarus-daedelus said:
Sazh isn't useless at that point, though, because he's the only character who has haste. Personally I never used Snow unless I was forced to, not because I dislike the character (although I do) but because he didn't seem to have much use outside of being a bullet sponge sentinel, and Fang is perfectly adequate at that anyway.

Yeah, the game rewards pure aggression far more than taking your time and playing defensively. I haven't used Snow much either, Fang makes a much more better Commando. Actually the best!

fake edit: Oh hai, member ding! Guess I just reached 10000 posts!

Welp, there goes my battle team. We got completely annihilated by the damn
Pulsework Knights
. :lol

Guess I'm switching back to Light, Snow, and Hope. Although I might change Snow for Sazh because of his Haste ability, but I'm not sure.

desverger

IronFistedChampion said:
Guess I'm switching back to Light, Snow, and Hope. Although I might change Snow for Sazh because of his Haste ability, but I'm not sure.

Use Haste. Love Haste! It's pretty much the best buff in game. Try making a paradigm where Sazh starts out as SYN, then when Haste is up on all characters switch him to COM or RAV. Works wonders!

IronFistedChampion said:
Are you comfortable with your healing? They say Light is a poor MED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom