• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihku

Finished Chapter 12 and didn't get a trophy. Normal or bugged? Don't really want to look up an achievement list because I don't want any end-game spoilers.

Himuro said:
FF10 is repetitive it's true. But you're pretty wrong on the other stuff. Towns do not comprise of only four people, and while it is arguably as linear as FF13 it has 10 times as many distractions and variety that makes the linearity point almost moot (collecting monsters for the arena, blitzball, cloister of trials and more).

Your argument that "FF10 is just as linear or repetitive as FF13" is stupid. Hey, FF13 is just as linear and repetitive as a ten year old game! What an compelling argument.

No, you missed half of my message. It's FF10 is just as linear AND MUCH MORE repetitive than 13.

Last time i checked, 13 didn't hat invisible random encounter each 10 seconds, making any movement from A to B (even if it's only a 30 second movement to get a chest) a boring 5 minutes slow battle fest.

Also, i get the possibility of surprise attacks, checking the movement and the facing of the enemies, like an stealth game, over a "capture monster minigame" that is based in random encounters, that means hours of going back and for in a small place hoping that the next random encounter will be with that kind of enemy that you want to capture.

DangerousDave said:
No, you missed half of my message. It's FF10 is just as linear AND MUCH MORE repetitive than 13.

Last time i checked, 13 didn't hat invisible random encounter each 10 seconds, making any movement from A to B (even if it's only a 30 second movement to get a chest) a boring 5 minutes slow battle fest.

Also, i get the possibility of surprise attacks, checking the movement and the facing of the enemies, like an stealth game, over a "capture monster minigame" that is based in random encounters, that means hours of going back and for in a small place hoping that the next random encounter will be with that kind of enemy that you want to capture.
The difference is that FF10 doesn't restrict you to Inside Sin and the Calm Lands at the end of the game. (also, it has better characters, a better story, and better music)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
At least in FFX you can go back to 90% of the places, visit and explore towns, and most of all: do good number of sidequests.

ZephyrFate said:
Better music is super debatable. I know I could not stand the battle music in X after the first ten or so battles. Ugh.
Yeah, FF13's battle music is WAY better, I'll definitely give it that, and it's probably the single song you spend the most time hearing in each game. I still feel like having one piece of battle music at all is a step backward from FF12 - if anything, I'd rather they adopt the Kingdom Hearts solution, in which every area of the game has its own battle music that transitions fairly naturally from the area's normal music.

Himuro said:
And I'm definitely disappointed by Hamauzu's output in this game. He can do better; this soundtrack is completely hit and miss. It's like a random assortment of tracks rather than a cohesive string of tracks that feel like they belong in the same world.
Likewise - this is far from his best work. There are some very good tracks in there, but it's not particularly memorable and some of it doesn't even hit the mood particularly well. I look forward to seeing what Shimomura can do with FF Versus XIII, at any rate. I've admired her work since Parasite Eve.

Himuro said:
Likewise, I'm at the point now where I hate FF13's battle music. I've heard it for years, and yet the game continues to reuse the music, even in cutscenes and in-game environments as a central theme.

FF13's battle music is the prime example of a good song just flat out getting annoying with overuse.

And I'm definitely disappointed by Hamauzu's output in this game. He can do better; this soundtrack is completely hit and miss. It's like a random assortment of tracks rather than a cohesive string of tracks that feel like they belong in the same world.

One moment you have a trance pop song with vocals that does not fit the area in the least, the next moment you have an orchestral track and some blues song. Some consistency would be nice, but if there's one thing we've learned from our dissection of FF13, consistency is not its forte.
The trance pop song fits the fact that you are using the happy-go-lucky Vanille, so that track is fine. Blues and jazz are fine, particularly in regards to the fact that you're using Sazh, and jazz/blues is awesome.

FFXIII has VARIETY, and I LOVE that. Also, Defiers of Fate, aka the electric guitar version of the main battle theme, is totally awesome.

I am so done with Uematsu's simple melodies. Hamauzu knows musical dynamism.

Himuro said:
I feel his work in FF10 was better but the music in 13 can definitely own sometimes.
Right, his FFX work was fantastic, and a lot of the tracks in FF13 feel like they're trying to remind me very specifically of better tracks from FFX. The ones that don't attempt to do that are pretty good, though - I like basically any of the background tracks with vocals in them especially because that's so atypical to FF.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The only tracks in the entirety of FFX that were even mildly noteworthy were People of the North Pole, Decisive Battle (final boss theme) and Beyond the Darkness. Everything else was meh-tastic.

Gattsu25

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
The only tracks in the entirety of FFX that were even mildly noteworthy were People of the North Pole, Decisive Battle (final boss theme) and Beyond the Darkness. Everything else was meh-tastic.
Wandering Flame is the best song in FF history, fool

ULTROS!

Himuro said:
:lol This killed me. FF8 has plenty of variety but I think the tracks themselves are far better. Variety is definitely good in a soundtrack and I don't really take issue with the soundtrack itself, as the soundtrack can be amazing. I'm mostly talking about the placing of certain tracks. For example, when you fight the boss in chapter 6, you have Sazh's theme playing, which makes the fight feel ridiculous.

This song is pretty meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZj9Wj9vgI

But then you have this, which are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDjtKfwTI1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmsKy-4Cd64

I do feel it's the best FF soundtrack since 10, though.

Yaschas Massif was pretty amazing too despite sounding like Elevator music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze_h6DK2jps
Kinda like Besaid Island theme. :D

The chapter 6 boss fight with Sazh is not his theme, but instead Can't Catch a Break, which is one of the most interesting and awesome jazz themes ever made in a videogame. Fucking ADORE that track. I LOVE jazz with fights.

All of those songs put me to sleep, thanks Himuro!

Himuro said:
Likewise, I'm at the point now where I hate FF13's battle music. I've heard it for years, and yet the game continues to reuse the music, even in cutscenes and in-game environments as a central theme.

FF13's battle music is the prime example of a good song just flat out getting annoying with overuse.

Totally disagree. It's as wonderful as ever.

100 hours in with a lot of extra time since I leave it on other than at night. I have been watching TV while grinding the turtle at Eden and racked up 6 mil in gil after upgrading most accessories, I might not even have to grind Dark Matter at this rate.

I just need to finish and 5 star Missions 62-64, upgrade to get all the weapons and top HP/STR/Mag accessories and kill a Sha Long Gui.

Overall, the game was enjoyable but disappointing since it won't have any lasting impact at all. It will just probably slowly fade from my memory till I barely remember playing it.

At least my preorder from Amazon was good for something, $10 off Resonance of Fate which will be coming in on Saturday.

Himuro said:
Different strokes. I find the main riff to be less than ideal and what's more, they used it for a boss fight. Certainly not a bad track, though.
I LOVE the fact that they used something atypical for a boss fight. Makes it that much more interesting atmospherically.

This game really makes me miss the FFX/XII summons. Granted, the summons in FFXIII are MOSTLY tactically valuable as a total-recovery tool (and they're damn useful for that), but I felt that the FFX ones fit into the battle system quite well (although they were kinda cheap and basically broke the game on several boss battles), and while the FFXII ones were pretty useless, I thought they easily had the best art design and 'finishing moves' of any FF summons ever. These ones are just kind of weird and feel like an afterthought, though I love having Bahamut as a summon again.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Himuro said:
One moment you have a trance pop song with vocals that does not fit the area in the least, the next moment you have an orchestral track and some blues song. Some consistency would be nice, but if there's one thing we've learned from our dissection of FF13, consistency is not its forte.
That's what's good about it :lol I love the diverse soundtrack. IMO this is one of the beat soundtracks in gaming.

Magnus

Himuro said:
So baysuckly, no. Your ultra negative attitude towards FF10 is starting to get hilarious.
Haven't caught the theme yet? 'FFXIII is amazing in every way. Nothing comes close. Except Shakespeare's FF IX'.

Not worth the discussion time anymore!

That said, XIII's battle themes were one of it's only high points for me. Different strokes :p

Pooya

Zoe said:
No they didn't
***link contains major spoilers!***
wikia says they did
Lyrics

Make my wish come true, let darkness slip aside
Hiding all our hope, mocking what we treasure
Battles we can win, if we believe our souls
Hang in for the light, till dawn
Fate will not leave you, hate will not heal you
Pray and one day, peace shall flow everywhere

English Version

Make my wish come true, let darkness fade to light
Show me there's still hope, show me it's not over
Battles we can win, our struggle lies within
Hope we live to greet the dawn
Love will not leave you, hate will not heal you
Now please make one day that peace shall reign

Himuro said:
Basically, your argument stems from your hate for random battles. Disliking random battles is a valid criticism, but it doesn't make for a good argument that FF10 is more repetitive than FF13 when FF13 arguably has a higher frequency of battles to begin with.

Not really. FF XIII don't have battles each 10 seconds even if you go rushing any enemy during the storyline. Also, the problem is that you can't avoid enemies in FF X when those enemies are not worthy in px and objects.

Also, the same fact that you can stealth (to avoid or to surprise), and different enemies have different movement routes, vision archs and sound sensibility, gives more variety (and that's even without comparing the combat modes)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well guys, after about a week of being at the start of chapter 9, I'm finally at the boss. I've barely had time to play.

Holy shit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Relix said:
Status: Still at Chapter 5 after two weeks or so. I can't bring myself to beat this. Can anyone give me a tip of anything... "AWESOME"... that's coming up so i get inspired again? =P

4 + 5 are slow but it picks up in 6 and then chapter 7 is fucking awesome.

On that note, just beat chapter 9, putting in disc 3! :D A lot of people said the chapter 9 boss was super hard but I didn't die. I just had to be careful and heal a lot.

grumble

DangerousDave said:
Not really. FF XIII don't have battles each 10 seconds even if you go rushing any enemy during the storyline. Also, the problem is that you can't avoid enemies in FF X when those enemies are not worthy in px and objects.

Also, the same fact that you can stealth (to avoid or to surprise), and different enemies have different movement routes, vision archs and sound sensibility, gives more variety (and that's even without comparing the combat modes)

Also the upside that FFXIII battles often take a few seconds, while FFX battles take much longer. They are usually a chore.

In fact, most of that game was a chore. Horrible voice acting and cutscenes, boring battle system, and linear walking with token town that were usually useless. Had fun sidequests though (outside of chocobo and lightning).

ZeoVGM

Banned
grumble said:
Also the upside that FFXIII battles often take a few seconds, while FFX battles take much longer. They are usually a chore.

In fact, most of that game was a chore. Horrible voice acting and cutscenes, boring battle system, and linear walking with token town that were usually useless. Had fun sidequests though (outside of chocobo and lightning).

Don't agree at all. I mean FFXIII's battles are awesome, but FFX had an incredibly fun battle system.

Lince

Banned
YES! Platinum trophy get! (105 hours...)

excellent game, a bit too easy with the auto-battle stuff but solid game overall and quite beautiful, grinding Pulse wasn't so tedious after all as I was constantly thinking and testing new strategies and paradigms/equipments to do things faster. Maybe following a guide would have made it more efficient but less interesting on the other hand.

focus achieved... *turns into crystal*

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Himuro said:
I don't see how that makes 10 more repetitive. It's the same thing except you can't see the enemies. Big whoop, and in many cases FF13's battles are so frequent they might as well be random. That said FF10's enemy variety is pretty shoddy, but so is 13's.

Different strokes, but it's still less repetitive: more variety in locales, more variety in things to do period that makes the linearity and repetition almost a non-issue. If FF13 were more than FF10's bare bones, we would not be having this argument.

-Weather changing.
-Robot riding.
-Generator switch flipping.
-Chocobo finding mini-game.
-Correct elevator arrangement.
-Optional electronic gate opening.
-Mark hunts with different gameplay requisitions for some of them.
-Chocobo riding.
-Robot parts collecting.
-Specific stealth segments.

Then there are the vastly different designs of the levels that switch up the feel & variety a lot.
FFX might have had more, but you are deluding yourself if you are saying this game has no variety.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Question: did the weather changing actually do anything in that section? I just let it rain the whole time without switching it back to good weather. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FTWer said:
-Weather changing.
-Robot riding.
-Generator switch flipping.
-Chocobo finding mini-game.
-Correct elevator arrangement.
-Optional electronic gate opening.
-Mark hunts with different gameplay requisitions for some of them.
-Chocobo riding.
-Robot parts collecting.
-Specific stealth segments.

Then there are the vastly different designs of the levels that switch up the feel & variety a lot.
FFX might have had more, but you are deluding yourself if you are saying this game has no variety.

Seriously? Are you not laughing your ass off or being sarcastic by saying this stuff? It's been the same exact stuff up to the end of chapter 11 for me. The only thing that happened that classifies as variety are doing the optional hunts, the rest is all diversions. Seriously, stuff like weather changing was used for about one 5 minute segment and did nothing but determine what enemies you fight. All you do in the game is run around, and fight--none of that changes, even marks are still just going and doing optional fights. Collecting parts, really? You just examine stuff marked on your map, which usually involved fighting to get to, not to mention was also just another couple minute diversion. Every dungeon has been nothing but running forward, the only one that stood out is the tower, which was the exact same, just with a little bit more backtracking.

The game doesn't have variety. That might not matter to you, but you don't need to try and cover for a potential fault with an argument that holds no real point.

Davedough

I've tried defending FFXIII and I've tried liking it, and I do like it... kind of. I still feel however that there's something fundamentally wrong with it.

I'm at the beginning of Chapter 10 in the game. I have been for 2 weeks, because thats how long its been since I've loaded up the game. I just dont feel the pull anymore and there's something wrong with that as well. I remember past FF games causing me to call in sick to work so I could sit at home playing it. Normally, I should have already completed the game and be deep into my 2nd playthrough, but I'm having troubles getting the motivation to even play it again.

I have Final Fantasy 9 (my favorite) on disks and made an image out of it to play on my homebrewed PSP. I also loaded up SNES Emu to play FF6. I'm having more fun playing these classic FF games than I have with Final Fantasy Tutorial... I mean XIII. I find myself playing through both those games in tandem (when I get bored with one, I load the other) than I am from the entire experience of FFXIII.

I didn't want to accept it, but I think Square-Enix has jumped the shark on Final Fantasy titles. They're just too far and away from the classics that Squaresoft made staple for JRPGs. I'm sure I'll pick it back up again just for completion, but I can officially say that I'm underwhelmed by this release. Gorgeous, but just not right.

</livejournal></TL;DR>

Peff

luxarific said:
Question: did the weather changing actually do anything in that section? I just let it rain the whole time without switching it back to good weather. :lol

Changes the enemies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I seriously can't believe he's actually trying to make a variety argument like that. Also surprised he didn't mention the "follow the light" gimmick on chapter 5 that did absolutely nothing since that level was just as linear. :lol

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Does anyone have any tips for C'ieth Stone #27? It is the one you get at the top of the tower. I get eliminated in about 30 seconds every time despite being as leveled up as I can at this point in the game. Is it better to move on to Chapter 12 and come back to this later?

RaGe_pt

Just bought the game today. Have been enjoying it a lot till now :D though I find hope to be annoying, hope his character gets better lol

Himuro said:
In FF13, there's not really different types of encounters. In FF10, you can be bum rushed by a group of enemies without warning. In FF13, there is no such encounter, it is either pre-emptive attack or a normal battle, even if an enemy touches you first there is no downside or penalty. FF10 allows you to customize weapon and accessory skills, want turn a monster to stone when you counter attack? Go ahead. FF13's concept of customization is far less up to the player.

It's not really true. The way as preventive attack works makes a huge difference. There is no real difference in FF X if you get a preventive attack, a normal attack or you get surprised, except a single turn of attack.

But in XIII, there is a lot of difference in normal enemies, being much more difficult (or even impossible without previous grinding) to defeat a lot of enemies without stealth. In the 3 sides battle, where you can get attacked by both sides, is a must. Try to fight some of the chapter 4 or chapter 12 3-side battles

So the stealth is not something about preferences, it's a huge improvement in the gameplay, compared with the forced invisible random encounters with random preventive-surprised-normal results that nearly don't affects the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom