• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

i just knew this would happen!
after getting 1 trapz out of 70+ turtles
now that i don't need it anymore
got 2 more out of 5 turtle kills =.=

Cep

Banned
Himuro said:
I agree the FF10 vs 13 argument is dumb. I'm just tired of reading,"well, ff13 is the SAME THING as FF10! Hyuck derrrrppppppppp".

I don't even *like* FF10 that much.

I know what you mean, I was not a big fan of it either.

And you are right.

Papercuts said:
I actually think it's better to not get a pre-emptive, but I seem to be in the minority. Just focus on staggering from the start with a few Com/Rav/Rav rounds and then Rav/Rav/Rav, switching to a Med set if you need it. Then go Com/Rav/Rav and kill it before the stagger is off, doing it like this always let me stagger it when it got nearish the middle and I always bypassed the second form(which is the only hard part). If I staggered at the start and didn't kill it, then it stands up, heals, and molests your party.

I'm still at the beginning of chapter 11, and am absolutely raping behemoth kings with pre-emptive strike. Granted, I have upgraded accessories out the wazoo but pre-emptive striking them is definitely the way to go.

pre-emptive strike, stagger, launch in the air and kill him there before he even gets a chance to think about a second form. No clue why you'd do it any other way if you had a choice.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Himuro said:
Taking the formula of a 10 year old game and stripping it of its previous features isn't going to win me over.

Well I guess story presentation that is the standard for games, amazing graphical advancement & grandiose designs mean jack to you in a RPG because FFXIII has all that in spades. It's probably the best in terms of that out of any RPG in years & that's what I honestly look for when buying a jRPG.
I sure as hell don't want to spend 60 hours doing random turn-based battles in some repetitive random dungeon generator, even if it had a bunch of shitty mini-game, tons of towns & optional backtracking out the ass.

If you want an extra gimmick or two to a static 10+ year old game then there are plenty for you to choose from. FFXIII set out to do a excellent job in the main gameplay mechanic, graphics, presentation, length & story (debatable, even though I thought it was better than all the recent animu jRPG crap).

Cep

Banned
FTWer said:
Well I guess story presentation that is the standard for games, amazing graphical advancement & grandiose designs mean jack to you in a RPG because FFXIII has all that in spades. It's probably the best in terms of that out of any RPG in years & that's what I honestly look for when buying a jRPG.
I sure as hell don't want to spend 60 hours doing random turn-based battles in some repetitive random dungeon generator, even if it had a bunch of shitty mini-game, tons of towns & optional backtracking out the ass.

If you want an extra gimmick or two to a static 10+ year old game then there are plenty for you to choose from. FFXIII set out to do a excellent job in the main gameplay mechanic, graphics, presentation, length & story (debatable, even though I thought it was better than all the recent animu jRPG crap).

No words can describe how much fail is in this post.

No words.

I mean fuck...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Holy fuck, finally got my Platinum trophy and the Serah theme... which I'm switching out because she looks 12.

Thankfully Shaolong Gui farming isn't as bad as Adamantoise farming, but Christ... Bay is such a mother fucking cheap spell. :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Can anyone give me some tips on what to upgrade and what's the best way to do it? I just got to chapter 10 and haven't touched anything, although I did dismantle a couple starting weapons, Lightning's and I forget the other.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NameGenerated said:
Can anyone give me some tips on what to upgrade and what's the best way to do it? I just got to chapter 10 and haven't touched anything, although I did dismantle a couple starting weapons, Lightning's and I forget the other.

You shouldn't dismantle anything if you want to get the all items trophy... but I guess they're relatively cheap.

As for upgrading, it just depends on what abilities you want to carry over.

I will say though, Light and Fang's best weapons are only available much later in the game unfortunately.

Use these two links for reference:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928790&topic=53941597
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=214099

Cep said:
No words can describe how much fail is in this post.

No words.

I mean fuck...

I would've put it more delicately but I actually agreed with him until he started dissing turn based and random encounters.

I love FFXIII but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't have some glaring issues. Now those issues don't bother me as much as some but they're still issues. Towns and mini games are still vital to the genre even if it's nothing more than filler for some people. Some games are totally okay without them but it just doesn't work most of the time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
He's right though. FFXIII is the least animu JRPG we've gotten this gen. It's all been Tri-Ace stuff and Tales. After playing those, you don't even notice it.

It's less obvious, but it's still fairly animu. They even managed to through in the weirdly loli looking 18 year old.

Fimbulvetr said:
Strange Journey.

Console gen.
I still need to play it.

firehawk12 said:
It's less obvious, but it's still fairly animu. They even managed to through in the weirdly loli looking 18 year old.

But the dialogue isn't really that animu-ish (animuey?). It's just melodramatic and cheesy whereas games like SO4 and Infinite Undiscovery are obviously animu.

Rpgmonkey

cosmicblizzard said:
He's right though. FFXIII is the least animu JRPG we've gotten this gen. It's all been Tri-Ace stuff and Tales. After playing those, you don't even notice it.

Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant.

In comparison to FFXIII, anyway.

I would say Demon Souls just to make the "IT'S NOT A JRPG" people rage, but not this time.

Cep

Banned
Y'all are actually agreeing?

I mean, really?

Demon's Souls?
LO?
Last Remnant?
ToV?
VC?

At the least, they are just as 'animu.'

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
firehawk12 said:
You shouldn't dismantle anything if you want to get the all items trophy... but I guess they're relatively cheap.

As for upgrading, it just depends on what abilities you want to carry over.

I will say though, Light and Fang's best weapons are only available much later in the game unfortunately.

Use these two links for reference:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928790&topic=53941597
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=214099
Thanks, what do you mean by "it just depends on what abilities you want to carry over"?

Cep

Banned
As for the rest of FTWer's post, It fails because it insinuates that the model that FF13 followed is the best one and that we should turn a blind eye to some of its issues as they either do not exist or should be excused. It fails even worse when it starts to disparage other turn-based games.

I mean, I certainly can understand liking a game despite its flaws, but he is just willfully ignorant.

I and Fimb are pretty much some of the biggest FF12 fanboys on this board, but we could deconstruct the shit out of the game at the drop of a hat.

Rpgmonkey

NameGenerated said:
Thanks, what do you mean by "it just depends on what abilities you want to carry over"?

Most weapons have special abilities. The final form of a weapon takes the properties of the previous one.

So if my Lightning has an Ultima Weapon (its ability is Quick Stagger), and I upgrade that to Omega Weapon it'll have Quick Stagger. The final form of all of her weapons is Omega Weapon, but its properties depend on what you chose to upgrade.

jiggle

NameGenerated said:

First u toss in organic components to create a X 3 multiplier
then toss in a bunch of the same machine component(with high xp)

not much tips for ch10, hope's hawkeye and fang's taming pole are really the only things worth doing

when u get to ch11

start doing missions until u hit mission 7

Easy fight with Van/Fang/Hope
each retry gets u 5 bomb cores
u can cap tier 2 of the above 2 weapons easily with a bunch of bomb cores

also a good time to use the bomb cores to turn 1 of ur collector's catalog (dont' buy this!) ino a connoisseur's catalog

mission 7 common item drop is tiadric crown
which u can cap its with xp, dismantle into hermes sandle
then cap the xp of that, and dismantle it into sprint shoes (auto-haste)
u should make 3 of these

mission 7 rare item drop is a tiadric tiara
auto pro/shell/veill/something
u'll want at least one of this (u get 2 more guaranteed drop from other mission/story)

can get a lot done on this mission :)

edit: make sure to get 99 spare bomb cores before leaving
since u'll get lightning's lionheart soon

Skilletor

What? These characters are all ripped out of a Shonen Manga. This is about as Animu as it comes, now with Nomura character designs.

Cep

Banned
Skilletor said:
What? These characters are all ripped out of a Shonen Manga. This is about as Animu as it comes, now with Nomura character designs.

Seriously.

I cannot believe that more people did not call him out.

Fimbulvetr said:
That's the joke.

But that's not the essence of animu. It's overusing ellipses, saying a character's name then going silent, saying stuff the player/viewer already knows, using TOO MANY DAMN TSUNDERES. Now I won't deny that FFXIII has some animu stuff like the quirky optimistic girl but overall, it isn't generic animu crap like SO4 where every damn line can be predicted before the scene even begins.

Edit: And yes, the main cast is very shoneny, but they have enough originality to set them apart. The only characters in the main cast that are overused cliches are Vanille and Snow.

Cep said:
Y'all are actually agreeing?

I mean, really?

Demon's Souls?
LO?
Last Remnant?
ToV?
VC?

At the least, they are just as 'animu.'
Demon's Souls isn't 'animu' at all, what the hell? Did you even play it?

Skilletor said:

Im inclined to agree
Maqui.png

Cep

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Demon's Souls isn't 'animu' at all, what the hell? Did you even play it?

Sorry for not being clear.

He said FF13 was the least 'animu' of all the JRPGs released.

That is a list of RPGs that contradict that statement, as at their worse, they are are just as.

Cep said:
Sorry for not being clear.

He said FF13 was the least 'animu' of all the JRPGs released.

That is a list of RPGs that contradict that statement.
Well that list contradicts itself because Demon's Souls is the only jRPG aside from Strange Journey that is out right there isn't even remotely 'animu'. All the others have anime tropes out the wazoo.

Cep

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Well that list contradicts itself because Demon's Souls is the only jRPG aside from Strange Journey that is out right there isn't even remotely 'animu'. All the others have anime tropes out the wazoo.

The point is that his statement was fallacious.

Also, I apologize for putting DS in such company. Please forgive me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
But that's not the essence of animu. It's overusing ellipses, saying a character's name then going silent, saying stuff the player/viewer already knows, using TOO MANY DAMN TSUNDERES. Now I won't deny that FFXIII has some animu stuff like the quirky optimistic girl but overall, it isn't generic animu crap like SO4 where every damn line can be predicted before the scene even begins.

Edit: And yes, the main cast is very shoneny, but they have enough originality to set them apart. The only characters in the main cast that are overused cliches are Vanille and Snow.

Well, what about when Snow tells everyone he's a HERO all the time because he's such a HEROic man who acts like a HERO all the time. Oh, and just in case, HERO HERO HERO. :lol

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that FF13 is tamer than a lot of JRPGs while retaining some semblance of personality, but it's so on the head that it feels like I was watching a shounen anime at times.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Himuro said:
No it isn't. FF13 is hella animu. Even Tales of Vesperia is less animu than FF13 because while it has animu tropes and cliches, it tends to flip them. For example, typically in games like this villians get away all the time. In Vesperia, the main character takes it upon himself to kill them.

That alone is less animu than anything in FF13, which proposes it has mature and deep themes, but is about well written as Naruto.

There is a dog that smokes cigarette's...

Pooya

Himuro said:
How is it tamer?

"That's what HEROES do."

"I'm the HERO."

"Aren't you supposed to save her, HERO?"

*punches fist*

*punches fist*

hero hero hero

"Mom's are tough!"

naruto.jpg
:lol :lol :lol :lol NOW your HERO is BACK!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Himuro said:
Story presentation means very little if the story is crap. Anyways, the presentation of the story in FF13 is not very good at all as we have covered numerous times.

If by "not very good at all" you mean completely subjective & your opinion, yes.
If by "we have covered numerous times" you mean YOU talking about how you disliked numerous times, then yes.

Fact: most jrpgs these days do not have random encounters or even random dungeon generators.

I was mostly referring Shin Megami Tensei & Persona interchangeable cut & paste dungeon design in that.

And there's a teenager with asperger's in FF13. What's your point?

...and you know what, he is a teenager. A pretty damn regular one. Not a teenager scourging the world for treasure or a teenager with skilled magic or swordsmanship power or a teenager with a talking animal buddy or a teenager who is secretly royalty.

Yeeeeah boiii

Finally killed a turtle without summoning :D

While I usually hate grinding, slaying these big bastards is kind of fun. Almost done with the Crystarium, final level of everyone's last remaining role.

This will be must first platinum trophy. I would have platinum'd Uncharted: Drake's Fortune but I switched to Crushing difficulty at the start first chapter. It doesn't count unless you start a fresh game on Crushing. Now way I'm doing that shit again.

Alex

Final Fantasy XIII is the least sifting of the anime dregs? I would argue it's one the most along with Star Ocean 4 and whatever bullshit Gust and NIS are currently churning out. Vanille ALONE would drag this down to the creepy tier!

It's also got that special kind of evil where it rolls out the whole barn full of modern day anime creepiness then attempts to take itself seriously.

That's the damning mark right there. You can get away with a lot and still manage to redeem it through some other forms of goodwill like some general levity or parody or whatever but when you hit that SRS BSNS button, it's all lost to the wind.

It's not inherently evil to have an anime aesthetic or mold, it's what you do WITH it. They're games, they're not shooting for deep literature.

Tales games are always very samey, very run of the mill, not too terribly offensive. They almost always have a sense of light heartedness and levity and some OK humor. It's not terribly good, but it's not terribly offensive either. This is why people never really go to town talking about those parts of these games. It's just very standard and...there.

Valkyria is remarkably tame outside of some of the wonky ass designs, it's about as offensive to the senses as Skies of Arcadia, which isn't very. The whole vibe is very tame and 90s, I dont think this really has a point coming up, Valkyria should be seared a bit for SCOUT RUSH and ENEMY TURN - AFK SANDWICH (I watched half of an episode of the office during one of the last battles enemy turns), not it's fluffier aspects.

Resonance of Fate (which is bar none the second best console RPG this generation after Demons Souls, by the by!) for all of it's goofiness and awkwardness in certain spots walks away with a GREAT cast with a lot of humor and charm. This is how you do this shit right.

Tri-Ace has one great dev team, the other two should be forgotten along with their games, invoked with the "Law of Suikoden IV", which I don't know why it's called that because there is no Suikoden IV.

If by "not very good at all" you mean completely subjective & your opinion, yes.

When you have a script that is;

padded to the brim with repeated plot points and terminology, to the effect of acting as filler in nearly EVERY LINE

has little occurrence in the narrative beyond the first and last few hours. (leading to the next point)

attempts to be a character drama and presents less hurdles and backstory than 15 year old entries in the series, often to the point of completely abandoning plot points that come up for characters because the game design won't support expanding upon them.

attempts to go for a big, spanning, dual world design, the first of which has little lore and consequence and acts more like your average Mario themed marzipan of stages

have general dialogue that is often compound to the breaking point with grunts, groans, sighs trying it's damnedest to create tension where there is none

that's all pretty things to be objective about bud.

FTWer said:
I was mostly referring Shin Megami Tensei & Persona interchangeable cut & paste dungeon design in that.

P3 and P4 are the only SMT games at all with random dungeons. Even then their level design is better than XIII's.

But really, what about Strange Journey is animu?

I said with the exception of Snow. He's more cliche than pretty much the entire Final Fantasy cast.

Anyway, I can't really comment on Vesperia since I haven't played it but flipped tropes are still tropes. I'd almost go so far to say that underused archetypes like Fang are better than doing the opposite of an established cliche just for the sake of being opposite.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Fimbulvetr said:
Seriously though, what's animu about Strange Journey?

I take it back, the Shin Megami Tensei story aren't animu. Just the way the story is told is so archaic in that game. It was just laughable from that quick look.

FTWer said:
I take it back, the Shin Megami Tensei story aren't animu. Just the way the story is told is so archaic in that game. It was just laughable from that quick look.

What are you talking about? How is it archaic? Please explain? Were their not enough datalogs explaining things that should have been said in cutscenes?

Alex said:
Final Fantasy XIII is the least sifting of the anime dregs? I would argue it's one the most along with Star Ocean 4 and whatever bullshit Gust and NIS are currently churning out. Vanille ALONE would drag this down to the creepy tier!

ABSOLUTELY NOT! There is NO WAY you can put FF13 on the same level as SO4. I'm flabbergasted that you would even consider this. I try to be as polite as I can in the debates here but you are flat out wrong in this instance.

SleazyC

Just beat the game, probably a 6/10 or 7/10 from me. Just much too linear and boring for the first 25 hours and then hitting Chapter 11 opens the world up but it really is just repetitive Monster Hunter type missions.

Oerba was beautiful and it's a shame SE couldn't work in more locations like it.

Cep

Banned
FTWer said:

:lol

cosmicblizzard said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT! There is NO WAY you can put FF13 on the same level as SO4. I'm flabbergasted that you would even consider this. I try to be as polite as I can in the debates here but you are flat out wrong in this instance.

Yeah, I sort of agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom