• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Thrakier said:
Please tell me the names of the weapon for Fang, Hope and Lighting I should upgrade. I just want to finish this game, it's annoying.
You don't need to upgrade to finish the game.

desverger

Thrakier said:
Please tell me the names of the weapon for Fang, Hope and Lighting I should upgrade. I just want to finish this game, it's annoying.

I upgraded Taming Pole, Vidofnir and Lionheart, respectively. At the end of the game, I had a tier 3 weapon on Fang (Kain's Lance), tier 2 on Hope and Lightning (Ultima Weapon and Hresvelgr) and had absolutely no troubles at the end boss.
(except with debuffs)

Almost felt like a bit of an overkill :p

desverger

radiantdreamer said:
man... I've been hanging around the Resonance of Fate thread for a while, and decided to come here just to check out how everyone is doing, and hearing you guys' impressions is depressing... :(

I haven't even broken the seal from my copy yet (since I'm too busy playing RoF) but wow, this is quite discouraging to hear...

Hopefully the high quality of FFXIII's production value will be able to sustain me through it when I finally play it...

This thread's responses are complete opposite to the RoF thread...

For all you poor souls that felt ripped off by FFXIII, join us... RoF welcomes you with open arms and flat bosoms...

Nah, only the 50 or so latest pages have been depressing. I think some people like to talk about the game more than actually play it, but let them :p

I've been playing and definitely enjoying both games. Don't let the internet let you down, son!

Talon- said:
Ugh. I'm guessing you're but a child.
I am but its not like I haven't played VI and IV to the end. They just don't resonate with me like those who played them when they were a kid.

Don't see the problem with that.

Son of Godzilla said:
I hope that when I finally get to the credits, there's nothing listed under Level Designer.
That would explain so much! I don't remember, but I sure do want to check now.

Ballistictiger said:
I think I'm done with traditional JRPGs. All I want now is action RPGs like Demon Souls.
Well, this game ain't nothing like a traditional JRPG... but I'd still say my tastes these days are leaning towards SRPGs and hybrids like Demon's Souls more than the traditional stuff.

Lince

Banned
I loved both FFXIII games, yes, to me post-game was a totally different affair from the main game (I didn't do missions or grinding on Chapter 11 before finishing the game). I enjoyed thinking strategies and paradigms, changing leaders and toying around with the upgrade system, I died a couple of times for my own mistakes (paradigms setups) and it never got frustrating or a chore. Didn't care too much about the story so it neither impressed or disappointed me. On the other hand FFXII remains unsurpassed as the best FF ever.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gonna fight the final boss tonite... hopefully it goes pretty smoothly. Then it's onto the postgame stuff, I didn't do many of the hunts at all. Ideally I will end the game with all the hunts finished, that's my goal... not gonna bother upgrading all the weapons. I want to move on to RoF :p

Widge

Christ, I just completely stumbled across some new areas in the early parts of Pulse! Thats rather satisfying, also resulted in an epic fight against an Ochu. One instance where you can see the Sentinel role at work.

The Sentinel sits, soaking up attacks from 5 or 6 of the irritating little plants that roam around, Medic keeps us alive while an Enfired Commando chips away at the big green bastard. Hard fight. 0 stars but fun to do.

Good fun though, I like the way little things keep on surprising me.

Lince said:
I loved both FFXIII games

Holy shit you've played Vers...

Lince said:
, yes, to me post-game was a totally different affair from the main game (I didn't do missions or grinding on Chapter 11 before finishing the game). I enjoyed thinking strategies and paradigms, changing leaders and toying around with the upgrade system, I died a couple of times for my own mistakes (paradigms setups) and it never got frustrating or a chore. Didn't care too much about the story so it neither impressed or disappointed me. On the other hand FFXII remains unsurpassed as the best FF ever.

...oh. Never mind then.

robot

Finally maxed out the 2nd teir of Hope, Snow and Lightnings weapons but the material needed to upgrade to the 3rd teir is nowhere to be found. Is this something I shouldnt be worried about until after I finish the game? I can check the names of them when I get home if that helps.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm having a difficult time getting into this game. Still on chapter 1, no empathy for the characters thus far. Will still keep playing.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm having a difficult time getting into this game. Still on chapter 1, no empathy for the characters thus far. Will still keep playing.
What got me hooked was reading the datapad or whatever. It just flat out says some stuff that isn't really conveyed well in the cutscenes. Plus reading it makes it so much easier to wrap your head around the stupid names, although that's not mostly till chapter 2.

I must say, I went into this game expecting a jrpg and all the horrible shit that comes with, and so far I've been pleasantly surprised. Granted I'm only like 5 hours in, but I really like all of the characters. Snow is the only one that's kinda grating, but I can stomach the awkwardness and appreciate what they tried to do. I'm still kinda shocked that they managed to make Vanille tolerable. Everything about that archetype is the kind of thing about jrpgs that makes me want to drown myself instead of playing, but she's downright great. Hell, I can say that for every character so far. Cliched, but not embarrassingly so.

Sure this game has plenty left to make me hate it, but it's been a damn long time I've been this enthused about playing a jrpg.

Lince said:
anyway, my ranking

FFXII >>> FFVI >> FFVII > FFXIII > FFX >> FFVIII >> FFIX >>>> FFIII

currently playing War of the Lions
get on that shit, son, no proper ranking of the series can be complete without FFT right at the top! followed by the girly goodness of 10-2! and then > [insert inferior installment here] = [insert inferior installment here] etc.

Fimbulvetr said:
More proof for my theory?
:lol Seems like it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So it's the anti-JRPG for JRPG lovers?

Fimbulvetr said:
Chrono Trigger is supposed to be that game('cept it's also one of the greatest JRPGs ever), what the hell.
It's so good everyone loves it.

PS: 12 (Ivalice works) > all FF's; simple.

Ricker

robot said:
Finally maxed out the 2nd teir of Hope, Snow and Lightnings weapons but the material needed to upgrade to the 3rd teir is nowhere to be found. Is this something I shouldnt be worried about until after I finish the game? I can check the names of them when I get home if that helps.

Yeah,don`t sweat it now,you need one item,unless you have 2 million to spare hehe and it`s,as you would guess,a hard drop to get,unless you are lucky...this is why i`m only doing Lightning`s weapon,from a star Helter Skelter.

Rpgmonkey

V>XII>X-2>VII>X>VI>VIII>IV>XIII>II>IX>I>III

Eh, guess this game really is in the low-tier...

Rahxephon91 said:
I rather play FFXIII for the rest of my life then more Tri Ace crap.

And I'm sure if RoF was actually a big deal it would get a level of hate.

:/

Fimbulvetr said:
Chrono Trigger is supposed to be that game('cept it's also one of the greatest JRPGs ever), what the hell.
It's simple. You take Chrono Trigger, subtract all of the good stuff, and you have Final Fantasy 13. They're basically the exact same game!

If I wasn't explicit enough about it, lemme get out my top hat and a cigar and do the obligatory ranking:

Final Fantasy Tactics > Final Fantasy 10-2 > *

*: 6 = 4 > 9 = 12 > 13 = 7 >>>>>>>> 8 and I don't remember anything about 1

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rpgmonkey said:
He has a point though. FF games are big mainstream affairs and they basically get criticism from all different kinds of people.. A more niche RPG like RoF is usually only sought out by those few who are predisposed to liking It.. And when it is judged, it's judged as an underdog.

this is not a defense of XIII, though. Just pointing out that niche RPGs are not loved more by the fans... It's just that only fans play them.

icarus-daedelus said:
It's simple. You take Chrono Trigger, subtract all of the good stuff, and you have Final Fantasy 13. They're basically the exact same game!

If I wasn't explicit enough about it, lemme get out my top hat and a cigar and do the obligatory ranking:

Final Fantasy Tactics > Final Fantasy 10-2 > *

*: 6 = 4 > 9 = 12 > 13 = 7 >>>>>>>> 8 and I don't remember anything about 1

You forgot 2. :lol

Also I just realized that Mass Effect 2's mission structure is similar to X-2's.

Rpgmonkey

BocoDragon said:
He has a point though. FF games are big mainstream affairs and they basically get criticism from all different kinds of people.. A more niche RPG like RoF is usually only sought out by those few who are predisposed to liking It.. And when it is judged, it's judged as an underdog.

this is not a defense of XIII, though. Just pointing out that niche RPGs are not loved more by the fans... It's just that only fans play them.

Was more towards the first sentence than the second. I find the comparisons/defensiveness with this game to be a little too...impulsive?

The second was included just because I don't place much emphasis on the game's audience over the game's own merits in most cases.

Fimbulvetr said:
You forgot 2. :lol

Also I just realized that Mass Effect 2's mission structure is similar to X-2's.
Nope, I've never played 2 or 5. I'm saving the best for last, baby! And 3, which I know nothing about.

I've never played Mass Effect 2, but yeah, from what I hear it (mission structure/story progression) sounds a lot more like 10-2 than Star Control 2 (which was completely free form, story was progressed by wandering around the galaxy until you bump into aliens) in spite of the comparisons that come up between ME and SC. Also, I don't know why I'm still spoiler tagging this. :lol

edit: yeah star ocean 4 and infinite undiscovery are more niche than this too and those games are regularly eviscerated by (some) JRPG fans soooo

charsace

Rahxephon91 said:
I rather play FFXIII for the rest of my life then more Tri Ace crap.

And I'm sure if RoF was actually a big deal it would get a level of hate.

Anyway I rank them:

X>XII>XIII>IX>VII>VI>IV>VIII>XI>II>I
I haven't played III or V
You think this game is much better than the japanese rpgs we got previously? I don't think so. The only reasons this game got the scores it did are:

1)Names of the people that made it
2)Final Fantasy main series game
3)Graphics.

If this game didn't have those things it would have gotten lower scores. FF13 has an incoherent story, terrible writing, supped up Team Ninja doll look, and barely qualifies as an RPG.

This game is the biggest dud of the generation. A completely linear, story driven experience with a terribly handled plot and script. 5+ years was spent making this linear RPG and the writing is just as bad as every RPG associated with Square this gen. I really don't understand how SE's writing has gotten worse with every new FF game, but it has. The only thing Square can do is great graphics. The other aspects that make an RPG great is something you can't count on them being able to pull off anymore. I wish they would take a look at their SNES games (Square's golden era IMO) and use the games from that era to figure out where the company fucked up.

charsace said:
You think this game is much better than the japanese rpgs we got previously? I don't think so. The only reasons this game got the scores it did are:

1)Names of the people that made it
2)Final Fantasy main series game
3)Graphics.

If this game didn't have those things it would have gotten lower scores. FF13 has an incoherent story, terrible writing, supped up Team Ninja doll look, and barely qualifies as an RPG.

This game is the biggest dud of the generation. A completely linear, story driven experience with a terribly handled plot and script. 5+ years was spent making this linear RPG and the writing is just as bad as every RPG associated with Square this gen. I really don't understand how SE's writing has gotten worse with every new FF game, but it has. The only thing Square can do is great graphics. The other aspects that make an RPG great is something you can't count on them being able to pull off anymore. I wish they would take a look at their SNES games (Square's golden era IMO) and use the games from that era to figure out where the company fucked up.

I disagree with nearly everything you said but this stands out the most. The character models are excellent minus the sausage fingers.

charsace

cosmicblizzard said:
I disagree with nearly everything you said but this stands out the most. The character models are excellent minus the sausage fingers.
I never said the game didn't look great. I said it has a DOA look to it and it does imo. Characters all have that flawless, doll looking skin that is a staple of team ninja. This game has some action game style straight path -> cutscene -> straight path level design with the difference being the style of combat; turnbased vs realtime. I think all the writing in this is crap and the script tries too hard to be "cool" and "push it past the limit"and just ruins cutscenes at times, especially some of the ones without action.

StuBurns

Banned
The Team Ninja girls have this horrible marble sort of finish to them though don't they? Kind of shiny or something? The FF characters are smooth 'matte' finish.

charsace said:
I never said the game didn't look great. I said it has a DOA look to it and it does imo. Characters all have that flawless, doll looking skin that is a staple of team ninja. This game has some action game style straight path -> cutscene -> straight path level design with the difference being the style of combat; turnbased vs realtime. I think all the writing in this is crap and the script tries too hard to be "cool" and "push it past the limit"and just ruins cutscenes at times, especially some of the ones without action.

Disliking the script/story/battle system is fine but I really wouldn't say the characters look anything like dolls. The models are leagues ahead of Team Ninja and Tri-Ace ones. Skin isn't the only factor in whether a character model looks bad or not.

charsace

cosmicblizzard said:
Disliking the script/story/battle system is fine but I really wouldn't say the characters look anything like dolls. The models are leagues ahead of Team Ninja and Tri-Ace ones. Skin isn't the only factor in whether a character model looks bad or not.
Didn't even say the models looked bad. Just said they have a supped up team ninja look and they do imo. They have that perfectly symmetric, flawless doll look up close.

In theater terms, FFXIII has been moved out of the matinée and into a single 10pm showing.

I no longer play daily and now just play FFXIII on Sundays for several hours. I finished chapter 7 last Sunday, GOOD LORD that chapter was long. Everytime I thought it was over, it would just keep going.

I want to get to at least Chapter 11 but I don't know if I can stomach 16 - 20 more hours to get there. Anybody have a rough estimate how long it takes to get from Chapter 8 to Chapter 11?

BeeDog

Anyone have any suggestions on the 34th mission (it's the
Tonberry fight
)? He manages to knife my whole team to death before I can do anything effectively.

The Chosen One said:
In theater terms, FFXIII has been moved out of the matinée and into a single 10pm showing.

I no longer play daily and now just play FFXIII on Sundays for several hours. I finished chapter 7 last Sunday, GOOD LORD that chapter was long. Everytime I thought it was over, it would just keep going.

I want to get to at least Chapter 11 but I don't know if I can stomach 16 - 20 more hours to get there. Anybody have a rough estimate how long it takes to get from Chapter 8 to Chapter 11?
It took me about 25 hours total to get to chapter 11, don't remember how much of that was ch. 1-7. Also, chapters 9 and 10 are longer and more nauseous than 7, so you might just want to bail out now if you're having no fun at this point.

Yes.
The story even though it falls apart pretty badly is way better then Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and whatever from Tri Ace.
This game is the biggest dud of the generation.
For you maybe. Not for me. I love it. I've probably already put more time into it then any game this gen. Some say GTAIV was pretty bad, me I also like that one. Yeah I've had way more fun then any rpg this gen. It ranks up pretty highly with me. I can see how people wouldn't like it, but that doesn't mean its bad.
A completely linear, story driven experience with a terribly handled plot and script. 5+ years was spent making this linear RPG and the writing is just as bad as every RPG associated with Square this gen.
I don't mind the linearity. I quite like it. Besides thats not the problem with the game anyway. Regardless the game is super fun to play. Badly written? Compared to what? Mass Effect. Game writing in general is bad and FFXIII is just as good as genre darling Mass Effect 2, a game with a worse plot. At least FFXIII had an interesting plot and characters, they just fall apart at the end.
I really don't understand how SE's writing has gotten worse with every new FF game, but it has.
Thats because it hasn't. FFX had one of the better game stories in general and XII had some of the best written and subtle writing in games. It also falls apart sadly.
The only thing Square can do is great graphics. The other aspects that make an RPG great is something you can't count on them being able to pull off anymore.
I gotta disagree as I feel like I can't even go back to any other rpg this gen that I've already played. XIII blows them all out of the water. Well I guess Lost Odyssey can still be played.
I wish they would take a look at their SNES games (Square's golden era IMO) and use the games from that era to figure out where the company fucked up.
Fine you can keep wishing that, I'll just keep enjoying what they currently make and after the good FFXIII I'm very excited.
Didn't even say the models looked bad. Just said they have a supped up team ninja look and they do imo. They have that perfectly symmetric, flawless doll look up close.
Um what? I don't know about the doll look. I think they look more lively then most games ,but yeah FF characters have ALWAYS been pretty and unrealistic looking. This is nothing new. Its not a gritty franchise. Its a FANTASY franchise and not Dragon Age type fantasy either.

icarus-daedelus said:
It took me about 25 hours total to get to chapter 11, don't remember how much of that was ch. 1-7. Also, chapters 9 and 10 are longer and more nauseous than 7, so you might just want to bail out now if you're having no fun at this point.

Damn...

Thanks.

Zoe

BeeDog said:
Anyone have any suggestions on the 34th mission (it's the
Tonberry fight
)? He manages to knife my whole team to death before I can do anything effectively.

Speed is the key. You need to drive up his bar and then kill him while he's staggered. Otherwise he'll keep regenerating.

jiggle

Platinum Trophy get :D

dark matter farming was luckily very painless
shaolong gui fell pretty easily
long gui was a bitch but i cheated with this trophy by using 2 elixirs XD

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
charsace said:
This game is the biggest dud of the generation. A completely linear, story driven experience

An rpg that is story driven linear? Who would have thunk?
I mean, Holy shit what the fuck do you play jRPGS for?

The other aspects that make an RPG great is something you can't count on them being able to pull off anymore. I wish they would take a look at their SNES games (Square's golden era IMO) and use the games from that era to figure out where the company fucked up.

*Looks at the SNES golden era RPGS*

A few towns that barely added anything & you only visit once. A world map, which you only can't fully access until towards the end of the games ( for which Gran Pulse essentially takes it's place in FFXIII).
Outside the different story driven point of the characters being on the run, FFXIII is exactly what FFIV-X where.

Firestorm

BocoDragon said:

He doesn't. Calling all tri-Ace games crap without playing the game in question is completely irrational when Resonance of Fate is getting tremendous praise. The people I've seen criticizing Final Fantasy XIII include people I've seen in every RPG thread this generation and those people who only play Final Fantasy. The ones defending it tooth and nail seem to be mostly people who only play Final Fantasy and have absolutely no idea what else has been released in the genre on 360 or PS3.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
FTWer said:
*Looks at the SNES golden era RPGS*

A few towns that barely added anything & you only visit once.

wut

Hey I'm in the 'loves FF13 camp' but that statement is just wrong. FF6 alone smacks that statement around like crazy.

Firestorm

FTWer said:
An rpg that is story driven linear? Who would have thunk?
I mean, Holy shit what the fuck do you play jRPGS for?
I play for:
- interesting battle systems
- sense of discovery (ooh where does this branch lead, yay treasure chest at the end!, go back. Random battles totally hamper this though and I hate random battles as a result)
- traditional jRPG pacing (leave town on quest/next objective, tension in dungeons leading up to boss battle climax, relatively safe world map with town in sight for falling action, and then reach the town which acts as the denouement for that particular subsection of the game, then repeat)
- pretty pictures

Final Fantasy XIII half-hits "interesting battle system", misses point two and three completely, and delivers on "pretty pictures" although it doesn't seem to have enough variety.

I don't have a problem with the linearity of Final Fantasy XIII so much as the pacing.

I don't see whats so wrong with the pacing other then chapter 10 goes on way to long and that its all just battle and battle.

And yes I've played most jrpgs and a few wrpgs released this generation for the PS3 and 360. The only supposedly hyped good one I haven't touched is Demon Souls and that doesn't really look like my kind of game.

Firestorm said:
The ones defending it tooth and nail seem to be mostly people who only play Final Fantasy and have absolutely no idea what else has been released in the genre on 360 or PS3.

I disagree. I see a lot of JRPG fans defending the game in here (including me). Posters that have probably played games very few people have even heard of. It's a polarizing game for both fans and haters of the genre/series.

Honestly though, the haters in this thread are a lot more vocal than the lovers. Come in at any time and you'd think gaf absolutely hates the game when in reality it's more of an even split.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Firestorm said:
- traditional jRPG pacing (leave town on quest/next objective, tension in dungeons leading up to boss battle climax, relatively safe world map with town in sight for falling action, and then reach the town which acts as the denouement for that particular subsection of the game, then repeat)

About this. It has not changed for 30 years ever since Dragon Quest 1.
It's so ancient & outdated & nothing has been added & changed to that formula in 99% of jRPGS.

Town (talk to one person to advance the to the next location) > World map > Dungeon > World map > Town > World map > Dungeon repeat x10 until you finish the game.

At least in this game, when you visit a town, it fits in with the story naturally rather than a predictable & systematic way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom