• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What's the most efficient way to use summons?
Can't say since it happens so fast I really can tell what's the best way. It's vague how the system works. Keep them normal till their Hp almost expires, go Gestalt then move down that move list? wait till 1 point then go super crazy mode?

I can't tell what does more damage or whats the difference between the individual moves etc, or does triggering the super moves with 1 point vs max points do more?

John Harker said:
Can't say since it happens so fast I really can tell what's the best way. It's vague how the system works. Keep them normal till their Hp almost expires, go Gestalt then move down that move list? wait till 1 point then go super crazy mode?

I can't tell what does more damage or whats the difference between the individual moves etc, or does triggering the super moves with 1 point vs max points do more?

I for one, think the summons are retarded. The only time I've interacted with them the whole game is when I was forced to for story purposes. Wait, I used Odin ONCE during a boss fight. I'm in chapter 12 now.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
DigitalDevil said:
I for one, think the summons are retarded. The only time I've interacted with them the whole game is when I was forced to for story purposes. Wait, I used Odin ONCE during a boss fight. I'm in chapter 12 now.
This is how it was for me in FFXII. Sad to see them so far out of the limelight imo.

Choopy

Neo Member
John Harker said:

They fully res/heal your party when they leave. Nice to use when you're in a pinch :D.
As for the super move thing... I've tried both (max points/1 point) and I've noticed no difference.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
You guys lied to me. There IS a way to get back to Pulse after you leave. Anyway, I'm happy about this.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
DigitalDevil said:
did you even have summons in FFXII? I just beat the game about 6 months ago, and I don't remember any...
They were called Espers iirc. You had to have one to open a gate or something at some point in the game, I remember that. Other than that, never really used them.

After how grossly overpowered they were in FFX, FFXII and FFXIII nerfed summons so much that they are barely useful as anything but an additional barrier against a Game Over. I like that they can't be summoned overly frequently anymore, but they shouldn't make you LESS powerful than your normal party. It'd make more sense if they didn't dismiss the rest of your party when summoned; that way they'd be purely additive instead of weakening you. FF12's weak summons would be perfectly acceptable if they didn't temporarily boot two other party members; likewise for FF13.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh Himu's leaving? It's been a blast :lol see you around.

DigitalDevil said:
I'm actually quite ok with having the summons be far in the background of importance. I thought they were played out in FFVII-X.

Kinda takes it back to FFVI.. I don't know about anyone else, but summoning Espers was an uncommon occurance in that game for me. I'm fine with that. They're just really pretty spells.

Joei

I have a quick question regarding the parts. Is there any point in keeping the components that say "Can be sold for a premium?" I was selling a lot early on because it was the only way for me to get money, but I just recieved a few that I could sell for a nice chunk of change (the plat. ingots) and would like to know if I should keep them. I also have some moogle charm that can be sold, but again, I dunno if I'd need it later or not.

Godspeed Himu. I should've been done with this thread for weeks but I'm still here for some reason. Guess it being the first FF where I'm part of an actual online community was exciting enough for me to stay here.

Kronotech

So there has been a few discussions on weapon upgrading. From what I'm reading, no one upgrades their weapons until they're at end-game.

I feel lacking as the weapons I'm using for most of my characters are only level 3. Will it be a waste of money to upgrade those weapons? Should I be waiting for a certain weapon to start pumping my money into? I have around 56,000gil or so.

Zoe

Kronotech said:
So there has been a few discussions on weapon upgrading. From what I'm reading, no one upgrades their weapons until they're at end-game.

I feel lacking as the weapons I'm using for most of my characters are only level 3. Will it be a waste of money to upgrade those weapons? Should I be waiting for a certain weapon to start pumping my money into? I have around 56,000gil or so.

The problem with starting early is you'll get the 3x multiplier, but then you won't have enough materials to max it to * level. You'll lose the multiplier and then have to waste materials to get it back up there when you finally do have enough to max it out.

jiggle

Kronotech said:

the reason ppl recommend waiting is because
1) lack of gils early on = lack of components
2) lack of weapon choices

you wouldn't want to waste components on junk weapons, and most characters don't get their good weapons until later on

hope's hawkeye and vannile's belladona are good options for early upgrades if u want to do it
there's actually no point saving those components u got from drops(just read up on how to use them)
since later on u can buy most efficient ones in large quantity

ch7, ch9, and ch11 are good spots to start farming gils for upgrades

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It was fun Himuro, take care :)

I'm in the camp where you can upgrade to your heart's content before Chapter 11.

The components you have aren't going to be THAT good to not use. You'll get much better components later. The Sturdy Bones and Oils are moderately cheap to buy for the 3x bonus.

If I were to do another play through, I would upgrade my physical/magic/elemental resistance accessories. Use my Wristbands and Marks to deal more damage instead of upgrading weapons.

Epcott

I'm up to chapter 6.
I did so much grinding the previous chapter
by going up and down the elevator in the Research Corridor, beating the 6 frag leaches over and over
that I completed the Crystarium for Vanille and Sazh in the first 5 minutes of chapter 6.

With that said, I don't care much for the pointlessness of fights in the early chapters (if you're maxed out), since it only serves to give you CP for the Crystarium, which is pretty much capped to certain points in those chapters. I know they wanted to streamline the experience system, but that's just too much.

Anywho...

Any word on the other games in the Fabula Nova Crystallis compilation?
I'm hoping to hear something on Agito for the PSP, but it's like they forgot about it

>:-(

And just to clarify, even though the idea is that:
FFXIII: The Future
Versus: The Present
Agito: The Past

They're not at all remotely connected story-wise... right?

Epcott said:
And just to clarify, even though the idea is that:
FFXIII: The Future
Versus: The Present
Agito: The Past

They're not at all remotely connected story-wise... right?

There is no timeline because the games do not even take place in the same world.

Whoo, one hour in. I'm gonna become the world's best runner down of straight corridoors.

But really, this is absurd. I hope that when I finally get to the credits, there's nothing listed under Level Designer.

Chris R

Still can't kill King Behmoths all the time with a preemptive strike :( I get them to like 10%-5% in the stagger, but then they stand up and regain all their HP :(

Guess I just need to get more +magic/+str on my three characters :| Right now I have Lightning/Hope/Fang with Rav/Rav/Com setup

try using COM/COM/COM after you stagger them (Light, Snow, Fang) they do massive damage against them. And do you know how to paradigm swap to obtain full ATB every 2nd round? Makes you attack a lot faster overall.

Chris R

Ya I might switch to rav/rav/sab then back to rav/rav/com to juggle. I'd bring Snow in but Hope has a level 20ish T2 weapon and is doing ~5k per single cast. I was able to kill one, but that was because I started to juggle it with no damage on anyone and my ravagers have Vigor I think it is called. I'm also close to my first pair of Sprint Shoes, and once I get those I shouldn't have any problem I would think :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So if Versus XIII is better than XIII, can we claim that Versus XIII is the FFXIII? :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, I felt that FFXIII will be the disappointing one after the E3 09 show. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Fimbulvetr said:
There is no timeline because the games do not even take place in the same world.

I'm gonna guess the "plot twist" at the end of each game is that, yes, they occured before FFXIII.

Hell I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that we visit Oerba some time before the ending of Versus. I just don't trust what those motherfuckers at SE say.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rahxephon91 said:
I kind of doubt Persona 4 is the answer to someone fed up with the jrpg part of FFXIII. Probably something like Demon Souls.

It was the answer for me.

FFXIII made me feel nauseous. P4 is my pepto-bismol.

P.S. An even better alternative would be The World Ends with You.

Actually feel like finishing up Mass Effect again and jumping into ME2 afterward. Kinda put than plan on the backburner with everything coming out =/

I do have Persona4, but I'm waiting to play P3Portable. Yeah I'm we

P.S. An even better alternative would be The World Ends with You.
ird...

I did actually finish that and it was alright. Got a bit repetitive towards the end.
Yeah, handheld jRPGs seem more and more the thing that works for me...

Footos22

So im about halfway through chapter 12, I sold the platinum ingots i got from that little robot dude in chapter 11 and got a hefty amount of Gil, so i started to upgrade my weapons for the first time.

Although i didnt really need to sell them although i now have 686000 I had plenty of gil to buy maximum sturdy bones multiple times beforehand, also the amount of high exp componenets i had was pretty decent.

I managed to upgrade lightnings lionheart up to a level 38 ultima weapon.
fangs taming pole up to a level 36 venus gospel
and hopes hawkeye up to a level 31 eagleton.

and that was without using my ultracompact reactors

Am i doing ok im at about 40 hours give or take and have the crystarium maxed out bar a few outer spheres to tidy up on the last level of each character. I remember fighting the juggernaut guarding the platinum bangle in mahaabraa pass for the first time and it took me 10 mins. In chap 12 now and there is 2 which i killed in under 1.30secs each
I think i might be overpowered and don't feel ive grinded as such. i just never run past any enemies in my way. apart from the beginning of chapter 11. Only slight bit of grinding i've done was running up and down a certain part of mahaabraa pass a few times farming bomb cores.

ULTROS!

Rahxephon91 said:
I kind of doubt Persona 4 is the answer to someone fed up with the jrpg part of FFXIII.

I dunno but personally, Persona 4 had one of the best JRPG characterizations I've ever experienced. And the battles are fast paced if you press the rush/speed button

Zzoram

BertramCooper said:
As others have stated, it's the monotony. It's the same rooms and passageways copy/pasted over and over and over again. Other areas that preceded it were every bit as linear, but they at least had some variety in the environments.

And what made it worse was the placement of the Cid battle. Being the most intense and difficult boss battle up to that point, you naturally expect it to be placed at the end of the chapter so that you can get a bit of a breather afterward. But instead, they inexplicably decided to put it in the middle of the chapter, making the endless tedium that follows even more excruciating.

Seriously, fuck Chapter 10. I don't think I've ever hated a game level so much (which is quite an accomplishment on Squeenix's part).

I agree. The copy and paste nature of that level drove me nuts. Linear with constantly changing environments/enemies can be ok, but linear with constantly repeating segments is infuriating. I too was massively disappointed that there was more after the boss battle. Considering that they just repeated the level over again, why couldn't they just cut that out? It seems like they artificially lengthened the game at several points just to be able to claim to have a longer game.

Zzoram

140.85 said:
If you don't like cut-scenes why are you playing an FF game?

I play Pokemon for the gameplay, not the cutscenes/dialogue. The cutscenes/dialogue is what eventually made the games unbearable for me. I hate it when I lose control so my guy can have a really long and boring chat with someone about something meaningless.

However, I really like catching Pokemon and grinding them up in levels.

Zzoram

rhfb said:
Still can't kill King Behmoths all the time with a preemptive strike :( I get them to like 10%-5% in the stagger, but then they stand up and regain all their HP :(

Guess I just need to get more +magic/+str on my three characters :| Right now I have Lightning/Hope/Fang with Rav/Rav/Com setup

When you stagger them, use Com/Com/Rav. Time it so your Com starts attacking just as the other Com is finished, to keep him juggled so he can't transform.

Zzoram

Rahxephon91 said:
I kind of doubt Persona 4 is the answer to someone fed up with the jrpg part of FFXIII. Probably something like Demon Souls.

Demon's Souls is great because it focused on the gameplay instead of the story. My experience is that the vast majority of video game stories are embarassingly bad, especially Japanese stories.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
couple questions. can you pick your leader or party members at any point in the game?

also, can i set autobattle to be less dumb and pick physical elemental attacks for all 4 atb slots when my char has waaaaay more strength that magic points?

Zzoram

-COOLIO- said:
couple questions. can you pick your leader or party members at any point in the game?

also, can i set autobattle to be less dumb and pick physical elemental attacks for all 4 atb slots when my char has waaaaay more strength that magic points?

1. Yes, at the end of Chapter 10 maybe, definitely in Chapter 11.

2. No, autobattle is completely automated. They pick their attacks based on what you've scanned about the enemy's weakness. They might be using Fira instead of Flamestrike because the enemy is resistant to phsyical attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom