• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
So just a question guys. I'm halfway through Chapter 10 right now and been having trouble deciding on my party. I'm going with Lightning and Fang for now, but I can't decide on the last character. Sazh with Haste or Hope as my Medic/Synergist? I know Haste is a must, but I need Hope to be my Medic. So can I survive long without using Haste or should I just replace Hope with Sazh for now?

Cep

Banned
survivor said:
So just a question guys. I'm halfway through Chapter 10 right now and been having trouble deciding on my party. I'm going with Lightning and Fang for now, but I can't decide on the last character. Sazh with Haste or Hope as my Medic/Synergist? I know Haste is a must, but I need Hope to be my Medic. So can I survive long without using Haste or should I just replace Hope with Sazh for now?

Use lightning as your medic and keep Sazh. Hope should learn haste soon anyways.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cep said:
Both of these arguments are just not true.

Games with issues are games with issues, the brand name changes things, but not so much that the first assertion can be said to be valid.

As for the second, FF receives a gamut of scores. It is not graded 'harder,' if anything, it gets a by when many other games would be crucified.
In the case of the first argument: more niche RPGs will have smaller audiences which are mostly made up of people who are predisposed to liking it, and have sought it out specifically because it conforms to their taste. And when they are judged, they are judged as underdogs rather than massive productions which we "expect" will entertain us in a big way. Simply by making the audience smaller, and lessening brand expectations, you will see the critical response rise.

And in the case of the second argument: I am simply stating that for those FF games which were more universally loved, they rarely received any kind of over-the-top score, so I don't think we can say that XIII is overrated now. I never saw FFVII-XII recieve a 10 anywhere... it was the usual 8 or 9. So now that people are claiming that XIII is over-rated because of the FF name, I don't buy it. I thought the good ones years ago were under-rated because of the FF name!

I am only 20 or so hours into the game. So far I have been made to wonder if it is possible that Square may have created some of these characters as a quiet statement regarding the FF series in general.

For instance Serah may be representative of an earlier FF game (or games). Cherished, loved by all. A game (or games) that has accomplished what it has set out to do but remains frozen in time.

Vanile perhaps represents a FF game that is a return to form from past games.

Maybe Hope is how Square views its fans and Snow is how Square views itself. Square (Snow) blindly charges on trying to recapture or revive whatever magic it had in previous games (Serah). In that process it has to "let go" of elements of past games that the fans love most. Therefore enraging fans (Hope) who in turn will whine uncontrollably and want to stab Square to sleep.

Dresden

Sylvrfonic said:
I am only 20 or so hours into the game. So far I have been made to wonder if it is possible that Square may have created some of these characters as a quiet statement regarding the FF series in general.

For instance Serah may be representative of an earlier FF game (or games). Cherished, loved by all. A game (or games) that has accomplished what it has set out to do but remains frozen in time.

Maybe Hope is how Square views its fans and Snow is how Square views itself. Square (Snow) blindly charges on trying to recapture or revive whatever magic it had in previous games (Serah). In that process it has to "let go" of elements of past games that the fans love most. Therefore enraging fans (Hope) who in turn will whine uncontrollably and want to stab Square to sleep.
Didn't want to type this, but... Squall dies.

This is me and this is your post:

Me

Your post

Your post flies over my head

Conclusion: subtlety is lost on me.

GrumpyAlien said:
I suggest you just go back the way you came. It should let you, and it isn't really that far IMO. Finish the 1st mission, and get up to like the 15th or so mission and then go back to where you are now for the story-line stuff. I say this because the chapter's boss might prove to be kind of difficult if you go right away.
Well I tried to go back, but once I boarded Atomos it took me to what appears to be the right place, but it has a different layout with different (more difficult) enemies and there doesn't appear to be a way out back into Gran Pulse. :/

Dresden said:
Oh, Japan.

2u7pxr8.jpg

Cute.

Sylvrfonic said:

Maybe Titan represents Matsuno and FFXII.

He's awesome and you want to experience him but you know it can no longer be done by SE.

Or maybe Square just has mediocre writing talent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Oh, Japan.

2u7pxr8.jpg

I don't know why, but I like it. It almost figures that there are Lightning/Hope shippers though, probably because they don't really have anyone else. :lol

fna84 said:
So I just maxed out Nirvana...

Should I dismantle it for the 3xtraps or continue farming the Adamantoise?

Unless you absolutely need the traps, just keep farming. Save yourself the money.

-Winnie-

Argghhhh, are you supposed to get a trophy in chapter 11 when
you arrive on Pulse? I got up to the bit where you have to find Hope.
WTF is wrong with my game? I didn't get the third story trophy either. >_<

[edit] Actually, does anybody have save files for:
-
When you fight Anima, before coming l'Cie
-
When you fight Bahamut.

Hopefully I can get those missing trophies by replaying those bits, but I only have one save. >_>

Amir0x said:
the money system definitely needs revamping. Just needs more ways to make money. There's like five legitimate ways to really make any serious money in the game, and they're all really boring :(
Or they could change the treasure hunter trophy into 'gather 50 different accessoires and weapons'.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know, I'm still wondering if Fang and Vanille are together.

Zoe said:
Cause he's only 14 and Vanille is 19.
Worst 14 year old ever.

hamchan said:
Anyone also notice that Sazh and
his son
were the only black people in the whole game? I don't remember seeing anyone else :lol
Did you expect anything different? I called this back when he was first announced. I'm just thankful he's not an oversized idiot with stereotypical one liners who drops out of the story halfway through the game.

Baby steps...

Dresden

miladesn said:
:lol Is there more?
That's the only one I've seen. The rest are either Vanille getting raped, Vanille in compromising positions, Vanille getting dominated by Fang, or Lightning molesting Hope.

I guess I should just be glad that I have yet to come across Snow x Sazh pics. Heroes don't need condoms!

Meier

Uggghhhh, so I kept dying at the final boss ad put the game down a few weeks. Came back the other day and did almost every mission but just died again on my first try. Was crusing but merciless judgement came earlier than I expected and I died, sigh.

Do resist items do anything on him? They don't seem to...should I just go all HP?

Meier

Saw a recommendation to use Vanille for her poison...changed my party to have her instead of Hope and put her as my controlled player. Crushed it no problem. Guess it helps to have a real Sab in the party, hah.

Holy hell, final cut scene on the 360 is a pixellated mess...

Meier said:
Uggghhhh, so I kept dying at the final boss ad put the game down a few weeks. Came back the other day and did almost every mission but just died again on my first try. Was crusing but merciless judgement came earlier than I expected and I died, sigh.

Do resist items do anything on him? They don't seem to...should I just go all HP?
Have a MED/SEN/MED paradigm ready to recover after merciless judgement.

The last boss is a lot easier if you switch between extremely aggressive and defensive paradigm setups instead of keeping one or two balanced setup.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
im at chapter 11 and most of my party is sub 1000 hp. how much grinding am i going to have to do? :[

i dont think i could progress by dodging everything even if i wanted too.

-COOLIO- said:
im at chapter 11 and most of my party is sub 1000 hp. how much grinding am i going to have to do? :[

You don't need to grind. Just focus on flans, small groups of those tigers and avoid anything that's bigger than a trailer. Only attack the behemoths if you can pre-emptive them.

-Winnie-

RAAAGGEE, so apparently I won't be able to get those trophies I'm missing by loading another save.

Am I the only person who's not getting the story trophies when you're supposed to? So annoying. :(

Cynar

-COOLIO- said:

:lol oh boy, there's a camp of bat gremlin things in the top left of the central area that are easy to take out and should help you grind.

Meier

Wow, I couldn't take out Neochu on Titan's Challenge and the one on 55 isn't any easier. :lol

Hah, talk about lucky. Death worked on the first cast of one or my attempts. Vanille's Eidolon just got me the 100k damage plus achievement in the same fight to boot.

Finished chapter 4 last night. Good stuff. Odin was pretty tough for me, took me about 10 tries to complete that fight. About half the time I'd be dead in the first 30 seconds. :)

AwesomeSyrup said:
Just wondering, how is this selling? I hope it's good so maybe we'll see more big budget JRPGs like this game.

I think there was one report that said it was the fastest selling Final Fantasy to date, it already passed 1 mln in the US, and they shipped 5 mln units.

yeah i think i'm gonna just youtube the ending. i'm at the final showdown and can make it to the second round easily but i keep getting doom casted on me while there is still a third left on the enemies health bar.

and, unless i'm missing something, there is no way to leave the final area.

i'm screwed.

WickedLaharl said:
yeah i think i'm gonna just youtube the ending. i'm at the final showdown and can make it to the second round easily but i keep getting doom casted on me while there is still a third left on the enemies health bar.

i'm screwed.

Just use relentless assault, heal yourself with the technique Renew, and use combat clinic. The goal is to stagger as quickly as possible and do as much damage as possible in that period, it should really take no more than 10 minutes. For protection purposes, i used like combat clinic cause of two medics to recover from the daylight darkness attacks, though i relied more on renew since its faster. Haste, shell, and protect are beneficial too.

Pooya

WickedLaharl said:

i'm screwed.
poison him, his HP goes down ridiculously fast if you do it.

BeeDog

Finished the game today, phew. The last boss was surprisingly easy (
except for when that Merciless Judgment or whatever attack killed Lightning immediately, or when he insta-killed her with a Death(?) spell)
), and I managed to 5-star
every form
. Chapter 13 is definitely the most annoying part of the entire game, so I'm glad I can explore Gran Pulse again.

I have done a decent amount of missions, but have barely upgraded any of my stuff. This was my plan now:

- Finish mission 55 to get the Growth Egg, but I'm afraid I have no chance against the mark there. I heard that one should spam Death and hope for the best, but could anyone please give some more specifics? Thanks.
- Start grinding CP (I guess the northwest part of the Steppe is the best?)
- Some way of getting more Gil and essential upgrade components, like Trapezos and Dark Matters. I have no idea of how to do this, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

i've tried twice and it just doesn't seem like i have the right equipment? until this point the game has been a breeze. so much so that i barely spent anytime at all upgrading equipment.

i do however have all of my primary classes as far as they will go at this point.

BeeDog said:
except for when that Merciless Judgment or whatever attack killed Lightning immediately, or when he insta-killed her with a Death(?) spell)
every form
. Chapter 13 is definitely the most annoying part of the entire game, so I'm glad I can explore Gran Pulse again.

you never had doom cast upon you?

BeeDog said:
every form

I have done a decent amount of missions, but have barely upgraded any of my stuff. This was my plan now:

- Finish mission 55 to get the Growth Egg, but I'm afraid I have no chance against the mark there. I heard that one should spam Death and hope for the best, but could anyone please give some more specifics? Thanks.
- Start grinding CP (I guess the northwest part of the Steppe is the best?)
- Some way of getting more Gil and essential upgrade components, like Trapezos and Dark Matters. I have no idea of how to do this, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I don't think I can help you with the Growth Egg, but I can with the other two;

-The best place to grind CP seems to be in the Northern section of the Steppe, where the Behemoth King and that big dog enemy are fighting each other. You will always get a preemptive strike on them, and they already have half of their HP depleted, so they should go down pretty quick, for pretty decent CP. They respawn pretty easily too.

-Stupidly, the most efficient way to get Gil seems to be killing Adamantoise and Adamantortoise

WickedLaharl said:
I didn't even know bosses outside of the Eidolons (and one other pretty specific one) could cast Doom on you.

Aru

ScrabbleDude said:
Finished chapter 4 last night. Good stuff. Odin was pretty tough for me, took me about 10 tries to complete that fight. About half the time I'd be dead in the first 30 seconds. :)

The next Eidolon is the hardest of the game. I won with a few seconds remaining, after a lot of tries.

Gattsu25

Banned
Green Mamba said:
I didn't even know bosses outside of the Eidolons (and one other pretty specific one) could cast Doom on you.
Casts doom on you if you let the fight drag on for over 20 minutes. Some people like laboriously slow battles of attrition and were annoyed by this.

BeeDog

WickedLaharl said:

Only on (last boss spoiler)
the third form, and that's scripted; still managed to kill him during the first stagger, which took a bit over one minute. Can he even cast Doom in the second form? If so, didn't know, since I offed him in 4-something minutes.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
This game has really managed piss me off today and I'm seriously contemplating just selling it. I've played through, I think, every FF-game since FF4 and while I wasn't fond of the battle system in FFXII I enjoyed both the characters and the story.

Now I'm playing through chapter 11 and it feels like I'm getting my ass kicked in every other fight. Either its bombs that self-destruct next to my main character, enemies calling in a couple of extra enemies -- the makings of an awesomely long boring fight -- or it's me being stupid and fighting an enemy I thought was a boss (Juggernaut) for nearly an hour without beating it. Then of course I realized it wasn't, but yeah. Annoying.

But what really gets to me is that I'm not interested in seeing what happens and the only reason I'm still playing is because I used to enjoy these games a lot, despite their obvious flaws. It's painfully linear, the story is just bad (bad in a worse than the past FF-way, then), the battles seem to very uneven in terms of difficulty and so far I've mostly worked my way through repetitive caves, factories and ships that each take twice the amount of time to finish than they should.

Amory

I just battled
Odin
. First real hiccup I've had, in that it took me several tries, but once I got the hang of it and won it felt incredibly rewarding.

It's weird how literal the love-hate roller coaster is with this game. It felt like work for a long while in the beginning, and then all of a sudden a switch flipped in my head and now I'm loving everything about it.

hamchan

Amory Blaine said:
I just battled
Odin
. First real hiccup I've had, in that it took me several tries, but once I got the hang of it and won it felt incredibly rewarding.

It's weird how literal the love-hate roller coaster is with this game. It felt like work for a long while in the beginning, and then all of a sudden a switch flipped in my head and now I'm loving everything about it.

Prepare for more ups and downs.

-Winnie-

Zoe said:
Instrument of Hope is for beating the game.

Uh... trophy description is
"Traveled to the world below, seeking a way to alter fate. "
. Sounds like
arriving on Pulse
, and it's the trophy directly after the last one I got.
But in any case, I'm still missing Instrument of Tragedy so something funky is going on. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom