• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli

Question I need some advice on;

Been wanting to get the soundtrack from Square's official game store, but in the cart it says it's out of stock. It doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon... So should I just place my order? How long am I going to have to wait? I can't imagine they themselves would be so short supplied...

Haunted

Ending left a bad taste in my mouth (like most of the story related stuff, actually).

Battle system is good, great art design. Wish all of the game would've been like Chapter 11 and onwards. Not a disappointing game, but also not the best RPG this gen or somesuch.

Cloudy

Banned
WTF, I thought
Cid
was supposed to be hard? I beat him on my second try and it was only because I didn't have any paradigm with SAB on the first try. Just used Scouting Party and Even Odds (when he guarded) with Tireless charge.

ps: I did use a shroud to give me haste/faith/bravery etc. right before. So that helped a bit :lol

wow, got a Trapezohedron with my second try spamming Death on an Adamantoise :D my luck is just great sometimes.

so what to do with my very first Trap? i've heard you can multiply it by upgrading some weapon and then dismantling it, so you get 3 Traps. but then i also read that you shouldn't do that for some reason.

sooo... some smart person here must know what's the best thing to do! i'm thinking of upgrading Vanille's weapon because i dont use her outside of Death spamming, and then dismantle that for 3 Traps and use them to get the best weapons for my main crew (Light/Fang/Hope). is there anything wrong with this strategy?

Joei

survivor said:
So just a question guys. I'm halfway through Chapter 10 right now and been having trouble deciding on my party. I'm going with Lightning and Fang for now, but I can't decide on the last character. Sazh with Haste or Hope as my Medic/Synergist? I know Haste is a must, but I need Hope to be my Medic. So can I survive long without using Haste or should I just replace Hope with Sazh for now?

Through most of Chapter 10 I used Lightning/Vanille/Sazh.... This group worked well since I was able to use Sazh for Syn and Rav, Vanille was able to use all her abilities with Rav/Sab/Med, and I used Lightning for Com and emergency Med.... once Hope got Haste I moved the party around to Hope/Snow/Vanille which gave me a little more flexibilty with Sentinal.

On a side note, I just got to chapter 13 and have the ability to go back to Pulse or Eden and I'm assuming I'm close to the end and I have a few questions. Once I go back to Pulse, is there any place really to explore or am I correct assuming that that's a"no"? Is there a way to keep track of the mark's that I've completed? And are the mark's anything more than blah blah, go fight this monster? Also, where do I find a chocobo to ride on? Are there "ultimate weapons" or quests or something along the lines of what FFX had?

RedBoot

astroturfing said:
so what to do with my very first Trap? i've heard you can multiply it by upgrading some weapon and then dismantling it, so you get 3 Traps. but then i also read that you shouldn't do that for some reason.

sooo... some smart person here must know what's the best thing to do! i'm thinking of upgrading Vanille's weapon because i dont use her outside of Death spamming, and then dismantle that for 3 Traps and use them to get the best weapons for my main crew (Light/Fang/Hope). is there anything wrong with this strategy?

People recommend against doing that because the limiting factor by end game is always going to be money, not lack of traps. This is, of course, if you're going for the Treasure Hunter trophy. There's no point in going so far to get extra traps when you'll likely get plenty to drop as you farm for platinum ingots (unless you're tragically unlucky). Plus, you won't want to spend the 1.5mil or so minimum gil to level the ultimate weapon to level 100 for the 3 traps when you could spend that money on other weapons/accessories.

Of course, as I said, this is all only relevant if you're going for the trophy. If you don't plan to get it, or don't care about being super efficient, then there's nothing wrong with dismantling for traps. Be sure you have the right weapon, though, only certain weapons (some of Vanille's and some of Fang's) will dismantle for 3 traps. I think I read that the Mistletinn (or whatever it's called) is the cheapest to level up out of the viable weapons.

Haunted

Joei said:
1) Once I go back to Pulse, is there any place really to explore or am I correct assuming that that's a"no"?

2) Is there a way to keep track of the mark's that I've completed?

3) And are the mark's anything more than blah blah, go fight this monster?

4) Also, where do I find a chocobo to ride on?

5) Are there "ultimate weapons" or quests or something along the lines of what FFX had?
1)
You are correct.
2)
Press Square on the map screen
3)
nope
4)
Complete Mark 12, then 14
5)
You can upgrade each of your character's weapons twice, the third form is the final weapon for each character. Its stats differ depending on which weapon you upgraded.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cloudy said:
WTF, I thought
Cid
was supposed to be hard? I beat him on my second try and it was only because I didn't have any paradigm with SAB on the first try. Just used Scouting Party and Even Odds (when he guarded) with Tireless charge.

ps: I did use a shroud to give me haste/faith/bravery etc. right before. So that helped a bit :lol

Cid
wasn't hard actually. I beat him in my first try. :lol

All you have to do is shroud yourself, RAV/RAV/COM, then COM/COM/RAV. I think that was how I did it.

RedBoot said:
People recommend against doing that because the limiting factor by end game is always going to be money, not lack of traps. This is, of course, if you're going for the Treasure Hunter trophy. There's no point in going so far to get extra traps when you'll likely get plenty to drop as you farm for platinum ingots (unless you're tragically unlucky). Plus, you won't want to spend the 1.5mil or so minimum gil to level the ultimate weapon to level 100 for the 3 traps when you could spend that money on other weapons/accessories.

Of course, as I said, this is all only relevant if you're going for the trophy. If you don't plan to get it, or don't care about being super efficient, then there's nothing wrong with dismantling for traps. Be sure you have the right weapon, though, only certain weapons (some of Vanille's and some of Fang's) will dismantle for 3 traps. I think I read that the Mistletinn (or whatever it's called) is the cheapest to level up out of the viable weapons.

one of the most helpful and informative replies i've ever gotten. thank you :)

and oh yea im going for the trophy... lol. so i'll probably take your advice and not spend 1,5mil gil just to upgrade and dismantle a weapon.

though i'm wondering, is farming platinum ingots really the best way to earn gil? i've been farming the easy as hell enemies at
Edenhall
and they drop some really nice items, that sell for a decent price. i got dozens of Perfumes that each sell for 12,000gil i think. is farming platinum ingots for gil still less time-consuming and/or frustrating..?

BeeDog

FUCK YOU mission 55! Took like 7 attempts before the Death spell nailed him; even then, those small fuckers were annoying as hell (mind you I did this mark when my characters were still sub-10k-HP).

Haunted

BeeDog said:
FUCK YOU mission 55! Took like 7 attempts before the Death spell nailed him; even then, those small fuckers were annoying as hell (mind you I did this mark when my characters were still sub-10k-HP).
Bad design decision to hide this classic/crucial item behind such a tough fight, imo.

If a player progresses normally and arrives at Mark 55 after the final boss, it basically lost its purpose for the main game already -
don't need double CP after beating the game except for maxing out characters post-game, which really shouldn't be it's only use.
I guess it's congruent to the other design choices which constantly limit and control player/character progression. One of my major complaints about the game.

BeeDog said:

yeah i did that hunt a few hours ago. goddamn vile little bastards.

but hey you got the Growth Egg now! it's awesome, double CP for the win.

Emonk

Banned
ScrabbleDude said:
Finished chapter 4 last night. Good stuff. Odin was pretty tough for me, took me about 10 tries to complete that fight. About half the time I'd be dead in the first 30 seconds. :)

But you can beat the first ten chapters of the game just by hitting X!

StuBurns

Banned
I just beat Odin, was the first real challenge in the game so far for me, really had to rethink how I was playing it. It took about five tries I think. I've really enjoyed the game so far, and I think it's getting better as it goes on (with the exception of the
shitty mech bit
).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How long is the last chapter if I just use deceptisols and run past as much as I can? Pretty much the only way I can see me beating the game is if it won't take very long.

RedBoot

astroturfing said:
one of the most helpful and informative replies i've ever gotten. thank you :)

and oh yea im going for the trophy... lol. so i'll probably take your advice and not spend 1,5mil gil just to upgrade and dismantle a weapon.

though i'm wondering, is farming platinum ingots really the best way to earn gil? i've been farming the easy as hell enemies at
Edenhall
and they drop some really nice items, that sell for a decent price. i got dozens of Perfumes that each sell for 12,000gil i think. is farming platinum ingots for gil still less time-consuming and/or frustrating..?

Heh, I've been going for Treasure Hunter and the last few trophies lately, so I've been asking myself the same questions. :D

Farming for perfumes is another method people like to use, and it's a perfectly good way to get money. I've been going for the ingots though since that's also where you get the Traps and Dark Matters needed for upgrading. If I can get the last few Traps I need, I'll probably switch to fighting for Perfumes myself since it's much less stressful and annoying than fighting the Adamantoises and
Long Guis
since most of the methods for downing them require a summon, and building up that 3 TP between fights is annoying.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Papercuts said:
How long is the last chapter if I just use deceptisols and run past as much as I can? Pretty much the only way I can see me beating the game is if it won't take very long.
you rented it too?

chapter 11 is a grind if youve been avoiding crap till now tho

edit: oh you said last

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any tips to beat the
Long Gui
?

Currently 2nd tier Level 25 weapons. Life is between 15k-20k.

Darkatomz

Well I manged to beat the game last night, clocked in a few hours under 60.

Firstly, I can say that, for the most part, I preferred FFX over this one. The story was better, and the game itself as a whole was a lot more fun imo. As repeatedly mentioned over and over through the thread, the music, battle system, and (maybe) visuals are the highlights of the game.

The biggest weakness would clearly be the linearity (for some reason, FFX didn't seem as linear to me for some reason, even though the game was somewhat straightforward), in terms of the practically nonexistent minigames and sidequests, as well as the long ass corridors with no exploration and towns.

A few of the things that bothered me were a few of the characters, Snow and a little bit of Vanille to be exact. Snow just comes off as really annoying to me, more so than Vanlile, while everyone seems to be complaining about.

The story is another one. While it is a little more convoluted than more FF entries, it made some more sense to me after I went back and read the storyline in the back of the guide after finishing the game. It's no more 'cheesy' than other FF games, so I didn't have an issue with that. But perhaps what I longed for more was a love story revolving around the main main characters
(if there even was one, if you consider the ending)
. It's probably why I feel FFX is my favorite Final Fantasy game. But then again, I regard FF6, 7, 8 highly as well, even though their stories deal less with love.

Overall, if I had to rank all the newer FF games (the ones past 6, excluding 11), it would probably go X >VI=VII > XIII > VIII > IX > XII. I've played most of the older ones, but I don't think it's too fair to compare them to modern FF games as much, nor do I remember as much about them since it's been some time since I've played them. :lol

I'm not the type of person to even care for trophies (Uncharted 2 is the only game that qualified, because the game was plain sick, and there was a game incentive to actually get it), and I won't be bothering to get it for this game either. But, I suppose I'll go back and do some marks. I've got all of them done up to the
Faultwarrens
, and in between that I'll be trying to get some ultimate weapons and equipment for my main party.

Which I fear will bug me, as there seems to be a lot of whining about item and gil farming in this game (rightfully so too, from everything I've read). Who knows how much longer I'll spend playing this game, since I don't have anything else on my rarely-existent current-gen backlog since I finished God of War III and UC2's multiplayer has since been shot with 1.05. My next game will be ModNation Racers, but I don't see myself investing hundreds and hundreds of hours into it. Luckily summer is approaching, and I use it to play PSX games I never finished. Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, one of the older FF games, and (maybe...) FFX-2!

Meier

ULTROS! said:
Any tips to beat the
Long Gui
?

How can you be that far in the game and not have higher leveled weapons let alone tier 3?!

jiggle

ULTROS! said:
Any tips to beat the
Long Gui
?

are u trying to farm him or just going for the trophy/achievement?

Meier said:
How can you be that far in the game and not have higher leveled weapons let alone tier 3?!

quite possible actually
some of the weapons are better at maxed out tier 2
and a 6th atb bar is nice, but it doesn't really make THAT big of a difference imo
you get a lot of damage out of crystarium and accessories

ULTROS!

Just for the trophy. :lol

Well, I saw a vid of someone killing it with 2nd tier weapons and no summons and it took him/her 2 minutes. :p

ULTROS!

Meier said:

Coz I'm awesome. :D

I dunno really, maybe because I switch paradigms very very fast? I was able to 5 star a lot of the Level 40+ missions though.

Meier

BeeDog said:
I got my first death to land miraculously. Vanille and Light had about 9k with Snow around 10.5. I am not sure i could have beat them without using her Eidolon. Them being weak against Earth was a lifesaver. So excited to have double CP now!

jiggle

ULTROS! said:
Just for the trophy. :lol

Well, I saw a vid of someone killing it with 2nd tier weapons and no summons and it took him/her 2 minutes. :p

ah
then it's SUPER easy

save your game first
you should have 1 elixir already
max xp on all 3 of your doctor's code
then dismantle them into 3 more elixirs

start the fight as lightning or sazh
make sure everyone has haste before summon
debuff him (including poison)
put enfire on lightning
then go at it

when summon goes away
put enfire on everyone else

pop an elixir in the mean time

when it get up, just summon again
and repeat until it dies

trophy get, reset game :p

Meier

jiggle said:
quite possible actually
some of the weapons are better at maxed out tier 2
and a 6th atb bar is nice, but it doesn't really make THAT big of a difference imo
you get a lot of damage out of crystarium and accessories
I just don't know what someone would be doing with their money if they have nearly 20k hp and lvl 25 weapons. Before passing 10k I had like 5 or 6 capped lvl 2 weapons. Tried my first adamantoise yesterday and died immediately. :lol

Zzoram

itsinmyveins said:
This game has really managed piss me off today and I'm seriously contemplating just selling it. I've played through, I think, every FF-game since FF4 and while I wasn't fond of the battle system in FFXII I enjoyed both the characters and the story.

Now I'm playing through chapter 11 and it feels like I'm getting my ass kicked in every other fight. Either its bombs that self-destruct next to my main character, enemies calling in a couple of extra enemies -- the makings of an awesomely long boring fight -- or it's me being stupid and fighting an enemy I thought was a boss (Juggernaut) for nearly an hour without beating it. Then of course I realized it wasn't, but yeah. Annoying.

But what really gets to me is that I'm not interested in seeing what happens and the only reason I'm still playing is because I used to enjoy these games a lot, despite their obvious flaws. It's painfully linear, the story is just bad (bad in a worse than the past FF-way, then), the battles seem to very uneven in terms of difficulty and so far I've mostly worked my way through repetitive caves, factories and ships that each take twice the amount of time to finish than they should.

You're probably just not playing correctly. What paradigms and characters are you using? What weapons/accessories are you using? The difficulty goes up a lot in Ch11, but once you experiment a bit you can start succeeding again. I still haven't found Oerba but I've gotten 5-star on ~17 missions so far (all the ones I've completed). I beat that Juggernaut monster in ~2-3 minutes.

RedBoot said:
If I can get the last few Traps I need, I'll probably switch to fighting for Perfumes myself since it's much less stressful and annoying than fighting the Adamantoises and
Long Guis
since most of the methods for downing them require a summon, and building up that 3 TP between fights is annoying.
If you stick to farming the Adamantoise in Eden, you can get back to 3 TP easily by simply fighting two battles with the nearby grunt soldiers and returning right back to the save point. Takes no time at all.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Zzoram said:
You're probably just not playing correctly. What paradigms and characters are you using? What weapons/accessories are you using? The difficulty goes up a lot in Ch11, but once you experiment a bit you can start succeeding again. I still haven't found Oerba but I've gotten 5-star on ~17 missions so far (all the ones I've completed). I beat that Juggernaut monster in ~2-3 minutes.

It's been fairly easy so far, with the exception of certain enemies or bosses who've suddenly kicked my ass badly. But in general it's not been that bad, it's more that a lot of the enemies annoy me. I'm mainly playing with Lightning/Sazh/Vanille and the weapons and accessories I've been using are the "optimal" defense equipment, but I've chosen weapons depending on what status attachment they've got (I've only leveled Lightnings Axis sword though, it's at lvl 18).

Arjen

Just finished it.
I enjoyed the story up to chapter 11, but after that i had no clue what the fuck was going on.
Chapter 13 was just awfull really REALLY hated it, so boring.
Final boss took me 2 try's, was pretty tough but do-able.
Overall i had a great time with the game, but i wished there were some tougher battles that forced you to change your strategy. I ran with the same party and paradigms set-ups the entire game.

Magnus

brandonh83 said:
"everything"
would have sufficed, too.

This. God those images are awesome.

Exterior shots of Cocoon are awesome. It has the look of RotJ's incomplete Death Star. Is Cocoon incomplete itself?

Mikey Jr.

Ok guys, I'm 30 hours in and made it to
Gran Pulse...............

Found a great place to grind where I get 2200 CP for a 24 second battle.

The question I have is, How much do I grind?

I dont want to be so powerful that the rest of the game is a pushover but I also dont want to get my ass handed to me. How do I know when I'm ready to go on the story?

Magnus

Mikey Jr. said:
Ok guys, I'm 30 hours in and made it to
Gran Pulse...............

Found a great place to grind where I get 2200 CP for a 24 second battle.

The question I have is, How much do I grind?

I dont want to be so powerful that the rest of the game is a pushover but I also dont want to get my ass handed to me. How do I know when I'm ready to go on the story?

A lot of people capped the three main roles per character, but I only went to the point of nearly capping 2 per character, and did just fine for the rest of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom