• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Chapter 11: How do I beat
Hecatoncheir
? I start out with RAV/SAB, then switch to MED/MED when HP gets low, try to sneak in RAV/COM for a bit if I can, then go back to RAV/SAB. I can't think of any other valid strategy since he is seriously in the mood to wipe me out as soon as possible.

Zzoram

Cep said:
Not the best of ideas.

Chap 11 is only good because chapter 10 (the worse in the game) was right before it.

The general idea was good, but it was basically FF12 implemented really poorly.

And FF12 already had serious issues as-is.

I never played FF12, but Ch11 is definitely by far my favourite part of FFXIII.

Diablos

nubbe said:
23 hours to reach a place one can explore!

and it has shitty elevator music!

The music in this game is so bad it is unbelievable.
Uh. FFXIII's OST is amazing. Probably the best in the series thus far, definitely top 3...

Garjon

Zzoram said:
Making the Med the party leader should fix AI concerns.
It's the same with any class; the AI will not change/cancel an attack if circumstances change, unless you change paradigm. Next to the linearity, it's the biggest complaint I have with the game.

Zzoram

Garjon said:
It's the same with any class; the AI will not change/cancel an attack if circumstances change, unless you change paradigm. Next to the linearity, it's the biggest complaint I have with the game.

But if you manually control the Med, you can Ensuna/Raise to your heart's content. You don't need to manually control a Com or Rav, they do quite well on their own since all they do is spam whatever attack does the most damage.

Amir0x

Banned
Zzoram said:
But if you manually control the Med, you can Ensuna/Raise to your heart's content. You don't need to manually control a Com or Rav, they do quite well on their own since all they do is spam whatever attack does the most damage.

Not even true though.

That's another deficiency of the A.I. They'll often choose an attack that does less damage, just because the A.I. is not intelligent enough to be able to differentiate between abilities which do different types of damage.

For example, say an enemy is weak to Physical Attacks and the element of Fire. Now, performing a Flamestrike is significantly more useful than casting Fira in this case. The damage dealt is more with Flamestrike and everything (I test out various abilities on enemies and see the differences in damage dealt on average, it's the way I find the fastest ways to take down enemies).

But instead, they'll mix it up like this ->

Flamestrike -> Fire -> Flamestrike -> Fire

When we're trying for speed and you take a thousand or so HP difference per hit average, it adds up.

These little details are not so important in day-to-day battles, but rear its ugly head during hunts and high level play.

Diablos said:
Uh. FFXIII's OST is amazing. Probably the best in the series thus far, definitely top 3...

Definitely top 10 material.

I wish they'd take out the vocals for Sunleth Waterscape, but it wasn't really that bad(certainly not an Eyes On Me).

Fimbulvetr said:
Definitely top 10 material.

I wish they'd take out the vocals for Sunleth Waterscape, but it wasn't really that bad(certainly not an Eyes On Me).

But without the vocals, it's just the title screen theme (Serah's theme?)

Amir0x said:
Not even true though.

That's another deficiency of the A.I. They'll often choose an attack that does less damage, just because the A.I. is not intelligent enough to be able to differentiate between abilities which do different types of damage.

For example, say an enemy is weak to Physical Attacks and the element of Fire. Now, performing a Flamestrike is significantly more useful than casting Fira in this case. The damage dealt is more with Flamestrike and everything (I test out various abilities on enemies and see the differences in damage dealt on average, it's the way I find the fastest ways to take down enemies).

But instead, they'll mix it up like this ->

Flamestrike -> Fire -> Flamestrike -> Fire

When we're trying for speed and you take a thousand or so HP difference per hit average, it adds up.

These little details are not so important in day-to-day battles, but rear its ugly head during hunts and high level play.

Alternating between Flamestrike and Fire is the most efficient method of building up the chain. If you're using a RAV to deal damage, you're playing the game wrong.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1317

For example, if there was an enemy and his weakness was thunder attacks, a normal person might just use a series of thunder spells and chain that. But actually, what's more effective in battle is to alternate that with Sparkstrike [an elemental attack]. Going back and forth between those two is the most effective way to fill up the chain gauge. So if you chose the auto function it will calculate that and fill in the most accurate and efficient way to defeat enemies.

On another note, Raise is an awful spell. You should use a Phoenix Down, it recovers 70% of HP and keeps the ATB bar filled.

Diablos said:
Chapter 11: How do I beat
Hecatoncheir
? I start out with RAV/SAB, then switch to MED/MED when HP gets low, try to sneak in RAV/COM for a bit if I can, then go back to RAV/SAB. I can't think of any other valid strategy since he is seriously in the mood to wipe me out as soon as possible.

Sentinel is an absolute requirement. Use it when he attacks and switch to offensive paradigms when he is charging up.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so despite a rocky start im staring to enjoy this game quite a bit now. i have 2 days to beat though and im at chapter 11. can i do it?

also, where the hell do people get money for upgrading things? i blew all my gil on lights gladius just before the chapter 9 bossfight and the chapter 11 monsters are rocking me

Shadow780

marathonfool said:
Alternating between Flamestrike and Fire is the most efficient method of building up the chain. If you're using a RAV to deal damage, you're playing the game wrong.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1317

Interesting, but I feel like using spells (thunder especially) save more time than alternating between -strikes and spells, especially if the enemy is far away.

I can probably get two rounds of spells with Haste out of every round of alternating attacks.

Canti

So it seems like my last 20 hours of grinding on turtles was for nothing T_T

Many people have said the game has no missable trophies. After selling my rings around 50 hours back (seriously why would I want to keep an item that takes up an essential slot just to have a marginal resistance against a particular elemental type) and any charms, and emptying every Pulse chests for spoils (and selling them), I created the perfect storm in which to miss the Item Collector trophy. Around 120 hours, upgraded every single item but missing a Nereid ring I can't synth, buy, obtain from drop or upgrade to. Screw this game :/

EDIT: should mention it was my last trophy before platinum, only now I find out I grinded countless ingots for nothing. What are my chances of a shop patch. 1%? 0.5%? Back in the box it goes.

Zzoram

Canti said:

Many people have said the game has no missable trophies. After selling my rings around 50 hours back (seriously why would I want to keep an item that takes up an essential slot just to have a marginal resistance against a particular elemental type) and any charms, and emptying every Pulse chests for spoils (and selling them), I created the perfect storm in which to miss the Item Collector trophy. Around 120 hours, upgraded every single item but missing a Nereid ring I can't synth, buy, obtain from drop or upgrade to. Screw this game :/

I don't think I've sold any accessories but I'm super afraid that I missed one in a loot orb somewhere.

Beat the game again and grind again for that trophy?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Canti said:

EDIT: should mention it was my last trophy before platinum, only now I find out I grinded countless ingots for nothing. What are my chances of a shop patch. 1%? 0.5%? Back in the box it goes.
:\

when your showing off your trophy collection to your grandkids just be like "i couldnt synth the nereid ring, i hope you understand."

Amir0x

Banned
marathonfool said:

Unfortunately they do the same thing whether the enemy is staggered or not.

Canti

Zzoram said:
I don't think I've sold any accessories but I'm super afraid that I missed one in a loot orb somewhere.

Beat the game again and grind again for that trophy?
You'll be fine as you can get many of the rare items again on Pulse or as primary mission rewards on beating them the first time over. I could continue from a save around 70 hours back but think I'll leave it; it's just unenjoyable now and Splinter Cell/SSF4 are on the horizon. Ce la vie.

:\

when your showing off your trophy collection to your grandkids just be like "i couldnt synth the nereid ring, i hope you understand."
Maybe I should have that engraved on my tombstone ;p

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Rahxephon91 said:
Final Fantasy XIII, the game some of us like.

I don't dislike FFXIII. It has problems but it isn't necessarily bad. I sure as hell wouldn't desribe it as a rollercoaster ride, thats for sure. That is something I save for a game like Resident Evil 4 or something.

Amir0x said:
Unfortunately they do the same thing whether the enemy is staggered or not.

RAVs should be driving up the chain gauge whether the enemy is staggered or not. With the higher chain gauge, COMs will deal more damage.

I usually go with SAB/RAV/RAV after an initial stagger on high HP enemies to debuff and drive up the chain gauge. Then switch to COM/COM/RAV for maximum damage.

zoukka

_tetsuo_ said:
I don't dislike FFXIII. It has problems but it isn't necessarily bad. I sure as hell wouldn't desribe it as a rollercoaster ride, thats for sure. That is something I save for a game like Resident Evil 4 or something.

vwqxk9.jpg

Meier

Mother fuck!! That 3 Tonberry hunt is infuriating. Killed 2 and the 3rd somehow healed to full. Pounding away at it and he 1-shot Light. Argh!!

shas'la

Just finished!!
Can't say i understand the cutscene before the last battle all too well, something about something wanting to die?.. but then why put up a fight?>

Answers on a postcard please ( spoilered txt :p).

sam27368

Banned
Jesus
fucking
Christ

30 hours of tortoise GRINDING and I finally have the treasure hunter trophy. For anyone thinking this is an easy game to platinum, it is BUT IT WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE in the process.

The fact that Square-Enix got you to kill giant turtles for 30 hours proves something. I don't know what, but it does. However, you can rest assured that it has more to do with the shitty game design than your sanity.

Meier

Finally got the Tonberry earlier. Last one healed to full with it almost dead but I changed Hope to a Sab and deprotect made the difference. Deceptisol plus Quake to start off the fight made it possible. 4 min fight with a 33 min target. :D

sam27368

Banned
Believe me, every hour I was thinking "why am I doing this?" in the end my conclusion was "I've poured in 60+, 70+, 80+ hours, lets just stick it out". I used to be a huge Square Enix fan, I loved the story mode of FF13. But 30 hours of gameplay has just made me loathe Square Enix for the first time in ... well ever.

sam27368 said:
Believe me, every hour I was thinking "why am I doing this?" in the end my conclusion was "I've poured in 60+, 70+, 80+ hours, lets just stick it out". I used to be a huge Square Enix fan, I loved the story mode of FF13. But 30 hours of gameplay has just made me loathe Square Enix for the first time in ... well ever.

I'm guilty as charged as well. I make it a point to do everything I can in an FF game, always have, and I enjoyed the 250 hours I put into doing everything in FFXII quite immensely. But killing the same fucking turtle over and over and over for one thing you need to make a weapon is pretty ridiculous. I loved things about FFXIII but in the end I hated way more about it than what I liked. This is just one reason why.

Amir0x

Banned
the money system definitely needs revamping. Just needs more ways to make money. There's like five legitimate ways to really make any serious money in the game, and they're all really boring :(

Amir0x said:
the money system definitely needs revamping. Just needs more ways to make money. There's like five legitimate ways to really make any serious money in the game, and they're all really boring :(

Kill Sacrifices for perfumes. Kill Adamantoises for Platinum Ingots. Run around on Pulse with a chocobo and hope to find a Gold Nugget.

Seriously, what a crock of shit.

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Kill Sacrifices for perfumes. Kill Adamantoises for Platinum Ingots. Run around on Pulse with a chocobo and hope to find a Gold Nugget.

I mean they already had monsters drop all type of random shit in order to contribute to a really fucking retarded weapon upgrading system, so I think I would have preferred them to just drop stuff for sale. Furs and what not. Just, all the monsters instead of just five legitimate enemies that have only a CHANCE of dropping something that can make you money at any speed...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
brandonh83 said:

Yeah.

Fuck, I kind of liked this game. But then came the ending and all the postgame shit, that also showed me how fucking blinded by all those CGs I was.

What the deep fuck, SE.

SpokkX

on chapter 12 i have to fight a admantatoise or whatever their name is.. an unavoidable fight...

Sometime I really hate this game..This f**ker kills me in 30 secods. Any tips how to defeat it? A Shive summon does about 60% damage but after that I die immediately, regardless if i use healers..

Is there any way to use two summons in a row?

jiggle

SpokkX said:
on chapter 12 i have to fight a admantatoise or whatever their name is.. an unavoidable fight...

Sometime I really hate this game..This f**ker kills me in 30 secods. Any tips how to defeat it? A Shive summon does about 60% damage but after that I die immediately, regardless if i use healers..

equip the 3 clay rings you got
and the 2 entite rings
switch to sen/sen/sen paradigm shift when he's about to stomp

u can use elixir to do another summon but not worth wasting it on an adamantchelids

Amory

7 or so hours in. Can someone tell me, does Hope get killed at some point? Because I'm less than a 5th of the way into the game, and I really, really want him to shut the fuck up already.

jiggle

Amory Blaine said:
7 or so hours in. Can someone tell me, does Hope get killed at some point? Because I'm less than a 5th of the way into the game, and I really, really want him to shut the fuck up already.

don't worry, ur hatred will be diverted to another character soon

SpokkX said:

It's the smaller turtle. If you have Clay Rings, equip them. I would upgrade it if you can. Physical resist accessories can help as well. Make sure to include a SEN in your party to reduce stomp damage. Debuff with SAB, use shrouds if you need it, and keep the buffs up.

justjohn

Okay forget what I said earlier on. I'm totally loving this game. Just put in about 9 hrs straight; something I've never done before. It has it's flaws but it's so fucking fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
justjohn said:
Okay forget what I said earlier on. I'm totally loving this game. Just put in about 9 hrs straight; something I've never done before. It has it's flaws but it's so fucking fun.

All part of the emotional rollercoaster. I loved this a lot at spots, but I'm at the last chapter am finding a ton of trouble to just turn it on and finish it off already.

TofuEater

SpokkX said:

After the first stomp, heal straight away

I had Fang, Light and Hope on COM/MED/MED

Then after that plummel away, with COM/RAV/RAV

Just remember to heal every time he stomps or does something damaging, or you get trampled.

justjohn

Papercuts said:
All part of the emotional rollercoaster. I loved this a lot at spots, but I'm at the last chapter am finding a ton of trouble to just turn it on and finish it off already.
At least it's made up for the abomination that was xii for me. I like the characters(well, some), the battle music is awesome and the battle system is just so much fluid.

Xii had none of those so for me this is already better.

dramatis

justjohn said:
At least it's made up for the abomination that was xii for me. I like the characters(well, some), the battle music is awesome and the battle system is just so much fluid.

Xii had none of those so for me this is already better.

Well, then you should love XIII. It has a boatload of emo drama, a super thin line for you to run from one story piece to the next, some poppy music tracks, and a system that controls most of your battle for y—oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom