• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
-COOLIO- said:
im at chapter 11 and its still on hope

everyone else is fine. especially sazh, who rocks.

Even the hero?

But yeah, Sazh is the best character writing wise(if only because most of the cast is so annoying). If only they would get rid of his afro and stop using him as comic relief(though this does occur much less after chapter 3).

Thrakier

I don't understand why I still get owned in chapter 12 by some of the enemies besides that I have one ultimate weapon, three maxed out weapons and a lot of progress on the leve 9 paradigm. Seriously?

hamchan

dramatis said:
Well, then you should love XIII. It has a boatload of emo drama, a super thin line for you to run from one story piece to the next, some poppy music tracks, and a system that controls most of your battle for y—oh wait.

Emo drama is awesome, the soundtrack is great and the battle system, even though it's a simplified version of FFXIIs gambits, still gives enough control back to the player where it feels really nice to play. I love the FFXIII battle system but FFXII put me to sleep.

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Even the hero?

But yeah, Sazh is the best character writing wise(if only because most of the cast is so annoying). If only they would get rid of his afro and stop using him as comic relief(though this does occur much less after chapter 3).

How else do you design a black man?

Everyone knows we all have afros.

/Racist mode

In all honesty, I still love his character design, just perhaps not in this game.

Cep said:

/Racist mode

In all honesty, I still love his character design, just perhaps not in this game.

I imagine an afro would be wonderful insulation for keeping a chocobo nice and comfortable.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All the FF characters have these fantastic hairstyles... I think it makes perfect sense that Sazh rocks a fro. A short or shaved head wouldn't really be all that fantastic... and having some sort of straight hair would actually be kind of offensive.

Zoe

Meier said:
Finally got the Tonberry earlier. Last one healed to full with it almost dead but I changed Hope to a Sab and deprotect made the difference. Deceptisol plus Quake to start off the fight made it possible. 4 min fight with a 33 min target. :D

Were you doing the first or second Tonberry mission? Cause
it's super easy to pre-empt the second fight without using anything.

Korey

Cep said:

/Racist mode

I dunno, I love Sahz's design and character in general. He's the most normal of all of them, including his dialogue. And everyone in SE games have crazy stylized hair, I thought his was an awesome take on the Afro.

BocoDragon

Korey said:
I dunno, I love Sahz's design and character in general. He's the most normal of all of them, including his dialogue. And everyone in SE games have crazy stylized hair, I thought his was an awesome take on the Afro.
They used to consider the Afro a proud black hairstyle... But I feel like some people these days would imply that it's a negative stereotypical black hairstyle!

That just aint so, even if it has fallen out of favor to short african hair.

Cep

Banned
Korey said:

That was my point exactly. The most 'different' of them all is the black guy. I am not yelling racism or anything, I just find it really irksome, and out of place.

His general art design is also the least stylized and the most realistic. I just feel that he should have been in a game where the other characters were not mostly caricatures.

BocoDragon said:
They used to consider the Afro a proud black hairstyle... But I feel like some people these days would imply that it's a negative stereotypical black hairstyle!

That just aint so, even if it has fallen out of favor to short african hair.

Less of it being a negative thing and more of it being out of sync with the present. Not entirely their fault. They must have thought the only way to make it obvious that he was black was to either give him a fro or dreads.

Zoe

Cep said:
His general art design is also the least stylized and the most realistic. I just feel that he should have been in a game where the other characters were not mostly caricatures.
I'd say he fits in well in the Japanese version.

Cep said:
Less of it being a negative thing and more of it being out of sync with the present. Not entirely their fault. They must have thought the only way to make it obvious that he was black was to either give him a fro or dreads.

Apparently he was originally bald, but they felt his design didn't have enough of an impact that way.

IronFistedChampion said:
Uhm...help?

I suggest you just go back the way you came. It should let you, and it isn't really that far IMO. Finish the 1st mission, and get up to like the 15th or so mission and then go back to where you are now for the story-line stuff. I say this because the chapter's boss might prove to be kind of difficult if you go right away.

Amory Blaine said:
7 or so hours in. Can someone tell me, does Hope get killed at some point? Because I'm less than a 5th of the way into the game, and I really, really want him to shut the fuck up already.

Curses! Hope is going to be the most awesome character, cause he is awesome throughout, how can you hate the kid, lol.

hamchan

Anyone also notice that Sazh and
his son
were the only black people in the whole game? I don't remember seeing anyone else :lol

dramatis

hamchan said:
Emo drama is awesome, the soundtrack is great and the battle system, even though it's a simplified version of FFXIIs gambits, still gives enough control back to the player where it feels really nice to play. I love the FFXIII battle system but FFXII put me to sleep.

I should hope you are kidding, or you just don't know any better. Awesome is the territory of characters and plot entwined into something genuinely worth awe and admiration. Emo drama does not qualify.

Too be honest though, there hasn't been an FF I played where I haven't fell asleep while playing, and that includes 13. Does that mean they are all equally bad and boring? No.

Firestorm said:
Sazh is also the gun-using character.

I'd actually give him a pass on that since it's a logical weapon. Where everyone else has fishing horns and technicolor boomerangs.

hamchan said:
his son
were the only black people in the whole game? I don't remember seeing anyone else :lol

Everyone knew it would go down that way.

It's technically a step back from VII since that has, like, 3 black people(two were random NPCs).

hamchan

dramatis said:
I should hope you are kidding, or you just don't know any better. Awesome is the territory of characters and plot entwined into something genuinely worth awe and admiration. Emo drama does not qualify.

Many people would consider The World Ends With You to be one of the best games this generation and that game is pretty much all emo drama. I think that game is what made me like emo drama in the first place.

Awntawn

The difference between drama and emo is that emo lacks the justifiable reasons behind it. If someone is feeling like shit due to certain events, and you know why and can feel their pain, you can say that person has a lot of drama in his/her life. If someone is feeling like shit but you don't know why, or the reason they give you is stupid, you mark him/her down as emo and tell them to fuck off.

FFXIII's characters were written to have drama. But the way it was presented, it came out as emo because they did a poor job in building up the drama.

hamchan

Awntawn said:
The difference between drama and emo is that emo lacks the justifiable reasons behind it. If someone is feeling like shit due to certain events, and you know why and can feel their pain, you can say that person has a lot of drama in his/her life. If someone is feeling like shit but you don't know why, or the reason they give you is stupid, you mark him/her down as emo and tell them to fuck off.

FFXIII's characters were written to have drama. But the way it was presented, it came out as emo because they did a poor job in building up the drama.

Well Hope's reasons for being depressed are pretty obvious and he's the character that supposedly has the most emo drama.

I don't know about Hope...

Normally in an RPG if the 16 year old kid is the hero, he's damned near almost as tall as the biggest guy in the group. Now, I understand that Hope isn't the hero in this game, but why the hell is Vanille taller than him?

And his voice actor sounds like he has a bunch of slobber in his mouth.

Probably my least favorite character but I'll probably end up trading Vanille for him cause he has shield or protect and she is pretty much redundant.

Also, wow SE good job on Sazh...well besides the whole Chocobo thing.

I completely understand the hate this game is getting, but I just wanted to add that I finally got my platinum yesterday and I loved every second of it.

I should also say that FFX is my favorite entry in the series, and the linear nature is part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. That isn't to say that I want every RPG to be as straight forward as X and XIII, but I think there's room for RPGs of all types.

Everyone is getting bent out of shape because of the limited number of current-gen RPGs available and they expect the immense world of FFXII with the graphics of FFXIII. While I don't doubt Square-Enix is capable of such a game, it's a bit unreasonable to expect it with their first current-gen Final Fantasy game, considering the already massive budget of FFXIII.

Also, while some people claim that certain websites and magazines have given the game a better score since it contains the words "Final Fantasy" in the title, I think the opposite is true. If this exact game had been released as a new IP, I think many more people would be blown away. Just my 2 cents.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
hamchan said:
his son

Kinda like Barrett...

hamchan

Talking about the main hero of the game doesn't it seem that Fang fits this role much more than Lightning? Lightning didn't seem to do much other than act like a bitch most of the time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
To be honest, I felt that Lightning was like Vaan in terms of main character usefulness. :p

Rpgmonkey

hamchan said:
Talking about the main hero of the game doesn't it seem that Fang fits this role much more than Lightning? Lightning didn't seem to do much other than act like a bitch most of the time.

Fang is the hero and Vanille is her heroine love interest.

The best part is that I'm not really joking when I say this.

dramatis

hamchan said:
Many people would consider The World Ends With You to be one of the best games this generation and that game is pretty much all emo drama. I think that game is what made me like emo drama in the first place.

There is no fault with liking emo drama. But calling it awesome? No.

Lightning

Banned
hamchan said:
I dunno, I lean more towards Vanille being the main hero personally.

Zoe

Dark Octave said:
I don't know about Hope...

Normally in an RPG if the 16 year old kid is the hero, he's damned near almost as tall as the biggest guy in the group. Now, I understand that Hope isn't the hero in this game, but why the hell is Vanille taller than him?

Cause he's only 14 and Vanille is 19.

dramatis

Rpgmonkey said:
Fang is the hero and Vanille is her heroine love interest.

The best part is that I'm not really joking when I say this.

Major part of why the damn story sucks. The plot was essentially
Vanille's Inner Drama Soap Opera
, when it could have gone somewhere with the Sanctum and Cocoon fal'Cie and whatnot.

hamchan said:
Lightning didn't seem to do much other than act like a bitch most of the time.

What are you talking about? *karate chops Sazh**punches Snow**shoves Hope**slaps Fang* Her actions are 100% rational.

Awntawn

hamchan said:
Well Hope's reasons for being depressed are pretty obvious and he's the character that supposedly has the most emo drama.
Except Hope was never depressed. His mom died, but instead he acted like his dog was kicked. That whole "I have something I need to clear up with you!" "Sorry Matt Damon, we've run out of time in this cutscene, now have to wait until the next one!" thing that happened over and over was just stupid.

Shapingo

hamchan said:
his son

Two people work at
Nautalis
and one female is injured on the streets of
Eden

BocoDragon

hamchan said:
his son
Star Wars syndrome.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
minimumhippo said:
I completely understand the hate this game is getting, but I just wanted to add that I finally got my platinum yesterday and I loved every second of it.

I should also say that FFX is my favorite entry in the series, and the linear nature is part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. That isn't to say that I want every RPG to be as straight forward as X and XIII, but I think there's room for RPGs of all types.

Everyone is getting bent out of shape because of the limited number of current-gen RPGs available and they expect the immense world of FFXII with the graphics of FFXIII. While I don't doubt Square-Enix is capable of such a game, it's a bit unreasonable to expect it with their first current-gen Final Fantasy game, considering the already massive budget of FFXIII.

Also, while some people claim that certain websites and magazines have given the game a better score since it contains the words "Final Fantasy" in the title, I think the opposite is true. If this exact game had been released as a new IP, I think many more people would be blown away. Just my 2 cents.

YES! Thank you. Nice to hear from someone making sense from all the massive outcry's from the the smallest nitpicks they find with the game.

BocoDragon

minimumhippo said:

I agree.. If this was some obscure RPG it would have a defense force like mad.

And also, back in the day with earlier FF entries, they never, ever received 10s or anything like that. It was common to see 7-9s but it's always "It's FF so I expected more, and this isn't perfect". There was a ceiling just short of perfection, so it's not like critics have just gone easy on FF... they also grade it harder.

Cep

Banned
FTWer said:
YES! Thank you. Nice to hear from someone making sense from all the massive outcry's from the the smallest nitpicks they find with the game.

Had these arguments been mostly about VA and art direction (both of which I have low thresholds for BTW) I would agree.

But most of these issues are a hell a lot more than 'nitpicks.'

BocoDragon said:
I agree.. If this was some obscure RPG it would have a defense force like mad.

And also, back in the day with earlier FF entries, they never, ever received 10s or anything like that. It was common to see 7-9s but it's always "It's FF so I expected more, and this isn't perfect". There was a ceiling just short of perfection, so it's not like critics have just gone easy on FF... they also grade it harder.

Both of these arguments are just not true.

Games with issues are games with issues, the brand name changes things, but not so much that the first assertion can be said to be valid.

As for the second, FF receives a gamut of scores. It is not graded 'harder,' if anything, it gets a by when many other games would be crucified.

Dresden

Oh, Japan.

2u7pxr8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom