• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrakier

This game really starts pissing me of. Not just because it's so fucking bland and linear but if that isn't enough, it's frustrating as hell!!! Chapter 12:

Although I maxed out almost the 9th circle and I upgraded Lights weapon to ultimate and Hopes and Fangs weapon to max, I still get my ass kicked by some regular mobs. But alas, I can avoid them. I can't avoid that fucking huge robot which is healing itself after 10 minutes in the fight! And after another 20 minutes of fighting, I die because Lights healing Hope instead of herself *fuautobattle*. Do I REALLY need to grind again although I made like 30 missions already which felt a lot like grinding? Bah, this game is making me sick. Why is it so fucking hard if itÄs supposed to be more casual friendly? Annyoing as hell. I'm thinking about selling it without finishing it, I'm hating it so much right now...

Zzoram

Mikey Jr. said:
Ok guys, I'm 30 hours in and made it to
Gran Pulse...............

Found a great place to grind where I get 2200 CP for a 24 second battle.

The question I have is, How much do I grind?

I dont want to be so powerful that the rest of the game is a pushover but I also dont want to get my ass handed to me. How do I know when I'm ready to go on the story?

You should try to complete missions 1-15, 17, 18 before going to Oerba. If you can 5-star all of those missions, you are good. Note that it usually takes a 2nd or 3rd attempt to 5-star, since your first attempt you need to Libra and figure out the attack pattern and best paradigms to use.

Right when you first enter the massively open Steppes area, there is a Behemoth King to the right of the save point. He's really hard to beat normally, but if you can get a pre-emptive strike, stagger him with Com/Com/Rav then stick with it or switch to Com/Com/Com if you can and you might be able to kill him without giving him the chance to transform to his stronger form, and it's worth 4000 CP. To respawn nearby enemies, run into an enemy, press Start then Select and choose to Retry. It spawns you just before you ran into that enemy, but it also respawns all nearby enemies. You lose nothing when you pick Retry, and it's a good trick to respawn nearby easy enemies.

Zzoram

I got the Mission 18 waystone unlocked, all my characters have their main 3 roles maxed at lvl4, and are starting to work on one of their other roles. I still kinda want to go back to the Steppes to ride a Chocobo around and dig up some gold so I can upgrade my gear more.

Magnus

Zzoram said:
You should try to complete missions 1-15, 17, 18 before going to Oerba. If you can 5-star all of those missions, you are good. Note that it usually takes a 2nd or 3rd attempt to 5-star, since your first attempt you need to Libra and figure out the attack pattern and best paradigms to use.

Right when you first enter the massively open Steppes area, there is a Behemoth King to the right of the save point. He's really hard to beat normally, but if you can get a pre-emptive strike, stagger him, then switch to Com/Com/Rav or Com/Com/Com you might be able to kill him without giving him the chance to transform to his stronger form, and it's worth 4000 CP. To respawn nearby enemies, run into an enemy, press Start then Select and choose to Retry. It spawns you just before you ran into that enemy, but it also respawns all nearby enemies. You lose nothing when you pick Retry, and it's a good trick to respawn nearby easy enemies.

I used amirox's spot that he highlighted in his video. You kill the Behemoth King near the save point (4k CP), then go kill the BK sparring with a larger dog-mob (6.6k CP), then just go back and the BK has spawned, kill it, then go back and the BK vs Dog has respawned, etc. Didn't have to do anything to get them to respawn except engage in another nearby fight and come back. One nice advantage to the game regressing to separate battle and field screens.

Ricker

jiggle said:
hawt
but only serves to remind me what a fucking waste
Nautilus
was

They should of made that the `traditional` town where you could buy stuff,barge in peoples houses without any consequences etc etc hehe....those 2 arts are very nice.

entremet

Thrakier said:
This game really starts pissing me of. Not just because it's so fucking bland and linear but if that isn't enough, it's frustrating as hell!!! Chapter 12:

Although I maxed out almost the 9th circle and I upgraded Lights weapon to ultimate and Hopes and Fangs weapon to max, I still get my ass kicked by some regular mobs. But alas, I can avoid them. I can't avoid that fucking huge robot which is healing itself after 10 minutes in the fight! And after another 20 minutes of fighting, I die because Lights healing Hope instead of herself *fuautobattle*. Do I REALLY need to grind again although I made like 30 missions already which felt a lot like grinding? Bah, this game is making me sick. Why is it so fucking hard if itÄs supposed to be more casual friendly? Annyoing as hell. I'm thinking about selling it without finishing it, I'm hating it so much right now...

You should not need to grind. Something is wrong with your strategy. Are you rocking the med/med/sen paradigm deck? It is essential with bosses later in the game. Both to recover and to get ready for powerful attacks.

Magnus

Thrakier said:

You're far stronger than I was when I beat the game. Strategy must be off. Combat Clinic paradigm ftw (MED/MED/SEN)

edit - lol, highfive entrement :lol

jiggle said:
hawt
but only serves to remind me what a fucking waste
Nautilus
was

At the Chocobo stable place you get told about how you can't enter certain paths because the attractions are not ready yet etc.
This gave me the impression I could come back later and the place would be FFXIII's Gold Saucer.. HA! :(

Magnus said:
This. God those images are awesome.

Exterior shots of Cocoon are awesome. It has the look of RotJ's incomplete Death Star. Is Cocoon incomplete itself?

Ragnarok scarred it. The fal'Cie rebuilt it by turning material from Pulse into crystal and using it to fill in the hole.

Mikey Jr.

Zzoram said:

Right when you first enter the massively open Steppes area, there is a Behemoth King to the right of the save point. He's really hard to beat normally, but if you can get a pre-emptive strike, stagger him with Com/Com/Rav then stick with it or switch to Com/Com/Com if you can and you might be able to kill him without giving him the chance to transform to his stronger form, and it's worth 4000 CP. To respawn nearby enemies, run into an enemy, press Start then Select and choose to Retry. It spawns you just before you ran into that enemy, but it also respawns all nearby enemies. You lose nothing when you pick Retry, and it's a good trick to respawn nearby easy enemies.

Thanks, but I guess I'm not even close. Preempted him, and within the stagger time, got him down to only 30% health left. Then he transformed and kicked my ass. Guess I'm not ready yet.

Zzoram

SolidusDave said:
At the Chocobo stable place you get told about how you can't enter certain paths because the attractions are not ready yet etc.
This gave me the impression I could come back later and the place would be FFXIII's Gold Saucer.. HA! :(

If Gran Pulse had a Gold Saucer type place, this game would be 10x better.

Zzoram

Mikey Jr. said:
Thanks, but I guess I'm not even close. Preempted him, and within the stagger time, got him down to only 30% health left. Then he transformed and kicked my ass. Guess I'm not ready yet.

The idea is to offset your Coms so that he's always in the air and can't transform. Let the AI com launch him and finish attacking before your controlled Com attacks to keep him in the air. If he never lands, he can't transform.

burgerdog

Magnus said:
I used amirox's spot that he highlighted in his video. You kill the Behemoth King near the save point (4k CP), then go kill the BK sparring with a larger dog-mob (6.6k CP), then just go back and the BK has spawned, kill it, then go back and the BK vs Dog has respawned, etc. Didn't have to do anything to get them to respawn except engage in another nearby fight and come back. One nice advantage to the game regressing to separate battle and field screens.

It's a waste of time to kill the behemoth by the save crystal, all you have to do is run past the save crystal to respawn the behemoth fighting the big wolf.

Zzoram said:
The idea is to offset your Coms so that he's always in the air and can't transform. Let the AI com launch him and finish attacking before your controlled Com attacks to keep him in the air. If he never lands, he can't transform.

Snowboarding to
Oerba
instead of taking an elevator? :lol

Aru

Arjen said:
Just finished it.
I enjoyed the story up to chapter 11, but after that i had no clue what the fuck was going on.
Chapter 13 was just awfull really REALLY hated it, so boring.
Final boss took me 2 try's, was pretty tough but do-able.
Overall i had a great time with the game, but i wished there were some tougher battles that forced you to change your strategy. I ran with the same party and paradigms set-ups the entire game.

I hated chapters 9 and 10, but loved the rest.
Great game, my third fav in the main series after VII and X.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Aru said:

People keep saying this, but they are the as traditional as you can get with Final Fantasy dungeon design.

Mikey Jr.

Magnus said:

This doesnt work for me. I cant preempt the dogs fighting the monster. As soon as I get close, they go into warning mode.

jiggle

Mikey Jr. said:
This doesnt work for me. I cant preempt the dogs fighting the monster. As soon as I get close, they go into warning mode.

you are at the wrong spot
the spot everyone is talking about is in the NW corner of the map
where a behemoth fight a GIANT dog
it's 100% preemptive, you can't not preemptive this fight

Zzoram

Mikey Jr. said:

There is 1 area in particular where a Behemoth King is fighting a single giant dog monster. You can pre-empt them and they will continue to mostly ignore you until one of them dies. Focus on the Behemoth King first since the giant dog is much easier to kill.

Amir0x

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:

You're at the wrong location.

Here is where to do it.

Of course, you can simply pass the save point to keep fighting the big wolf fucker and behemoth, but that gets too boring for me. At least I like to mix it up a little, only adds a few more seconds to the CP gain circuit.

leader die = game over keep pissing me off the end boss with the wrath move got me two time pan in the ass to start over when you get it HP so low then they use a move like that on the leader

Rpgmonkey

FTWer said:
People keep saying this, but they are the as traditional as you can get with Final Fantasy dungeon design.

I'm pretty sure the problem most have with chapters 9 and 10 (not speaking for Aru here though) is that they're boring, have several areas with ugly or uninteresting art direction, and/or go on forever, not that they're "unlike traditional FF dungeon design".

Thrakier

entrement said:
You should not need to grind. Something is wrong with your strategy. Are you rocking the med/med/sen paradigm deck? It is essential with bosses later in the game. Both to recover and to get ready for powerful attacks.

There is not so much strategy one could use! Med/Med/Sen, Rav/Rav/CMD, RAV/CMD/MED and for status med and the status guy classes. I'm constantly changing between those paradigms like I did it for the last 20 hours now with almost every enemy. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. BTW, even normal grunts like the white behemoth like guys (two of them) totally kick my ass.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Rpgmonkey said:
I'm pretty sure the problem most have with chapters 9 and 10 (not speaking for Aru here though) is that they're boring, have several areas with ugly or uninteresting art direction, and/or go on forever, not that they're "unlike traditional FF dungeon design".

The art direction in the game is uneven in terms of environments. Some places like The Vile Peaks and OMFG Eden are beautiful. Other places are dull and some have surprisingly awful texture work. Gran Pulse is oddly "flat"; its greens and browns look too much like repeating textures.

But really, what makes certain chapters boring is the bad call to limit the player to two man parties for like, half the damn game. That's uncalled for, and truly makes several chapters feel like nothing more than a forced, extended tutorial. (Which, I guess they are.)

I think what could have helped FFXIII a lot without entirely changing the game design would have been to slice out a few dull locations and chapters (and virtually the entire Hope / Snow drama fest), drop the party on Gran Pulse in say, chapter 8, then make Gran Pulse more of the meat of the game. Put some freakin' life on it (human life), put a few more dungeons in it besides the one it has. The finale of the game, those two chapters, is actually very spectacular and intense. Ironically, part of what saves FFXIII from the scrap heap is that unlike many JRPGs, including several FFs, its story ramps up at the end and finishes on an epic note rather than fading out into random nonsense.

Mikey Jr.

Thanks everyone for helping me out. Found the place.

Btw, possibly stupid question. With one enemy, is thundara stronger than thunder? Like say 4 thunders versus 2 thundaras?

Aru said:

FFXIII goes in the middle. FFVII/IX/VI are the best in my eyes, and FFII/X-2 are the worst. Yeah, XIII is in the middle.

Meier

I'm assuming no, but if someone on my bench has the growth egg equipped, do I get the benefit of it since they get the bonus too?

Lince

Banned
Thrakier said:
There is not so much strategy one could use! Med/Med/Sen, Rav/Rav/CMD, RAV/CMD/MED and for status med and the status guy classes. I'm constantly changing between those paradigms like I did it for the last 20 hours now with almost every enemy. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. BTW, even normal grunts like the white behemoth like guys (two of them) totally kick my ass.

lol you're too negative about FFXIII to win :p
really, just debuff the grunts and buff your party a bit, let a SEN take the damage until you're good to switch to ravers and cmds. It's not rocket-science, that or you're under-leveled.

Meier said:
I'm assuming no, but if someone on my bench has the growth egg equipped, do I get the benefit of it since they get the bonus too?

growth eggs have to be attached to one of the main three in order for it to affect the whole party

Meier

FateBreaker said:
growth eggs have to be attached to one of the main three in order for it to affect the whole party
Thanks, figured it was wishful thinking. I am trying to do the stupid death spam thing and this sucks. :( Probably about done with the game..want to at least master the classes though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat it, yay. Final boss was amazingly easy. :lol

I am sorta sad it's over but I'm not sure why, I loved a few parts and HATED a few others and barely pushed myself to beat it.

Choopy

Neo Member
Is there any purpose to leveling up growth egg? It doubles exp at level 1... What benefits would I have from starring it?

flyover

Papercuts said:
Beat it, yay. Final boss was amazingly easy. :lol

I am sorta sad it's over but I'm not sure why, I loved a few parts and HATED a few others and barely pushed myself to beat it.
Just beat it today, too. I agree with your sentiment about being a little sad it's over, despite having to force myself to push through, at times.

Ultimately, I thought it was a disappointment for a FF game. I've liked every numbered game in the series -- including this one -- but it's near the bottom of the pack for me. There's no way I'm playing through it again, and I always replay FFs.

That said, I will probably play some from my postgame save, because the battle system was so much fun. I loved the gameplay. The more I played, and the tougher the enemies became, the more I liked it. (I also occasionally enjoy pummeling formerly tough monsters after I've souped up well past their level.)

In a way, that's what made the game so frustrating. I couldn't explore anything until I was 20-25 hours in (or whenever Chapter 11 rolls around). I mean there were rarely even branching paths that lead to the same location.

Once I got to
Gran Pulse
-- or, more accurately, returned in Chapter 13 -- I had a great time. It's much more of what I wanted the game to be. Too bad it took so long to get there.

I also appreciated how each character was designed to change over the course of the story. But I thought the dialogue and story were pretty bad. I just never got invested. The plot was an interesting idea that was botched. And the dialogue... well, maybe I got spoiled with FFXII's dialogue.

I perked up a bit when the story started to hint at gnostic motifs (
an absent Maker and fal'Cie demiurges and all that
), but I thought the ultimate mythology, motivations, and resolution were a stitched-up mess.

Finally, I never cared much about Serah, so it was tougher to empathize with those characters who did. I think the beginning of the game should have had you controlling her, so you as the player would form an immediate attachment to her. Kind of like how you started FFXII as Vaan's brother.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I thought most of the music was really good. I've had quite a bit of it running through my head in the nights after playing.

Dragon

Banned
Just beat
Bahamut
, how much longer do I have to go? I just got through a section of about an hour and a half of no dialogue straight grinding and I'm taking a break.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Choopy said:
Is there any purpose to leveling up growth egg? It doubles exp at level 1... What benefits would I have from starring it?

Nothing. You could star it to break it down, but it doesn't give anything interesting from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom