• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rataven

Vect said:
Will FFXIII's music be making its appearance in Distant Worlds concerts or is it just saved for Nobuo's own scores?
I think it may have recently been added. Don't know what pieces, but saw it on the DW facebook page. Here

Finally beat the game last night. Now to do some grinding and maybe go for platinum. I honestly can not see how I will ever get the trophy for fully developing all my characters. CP is so hard to find in large doses.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rataven said:
I think it may have recently been added. Don't know what pieces, but saw it on the DW facebook page. Here

Finally beat the game last night. Now to do some grinding and maybe go for platinum. I honestly can not see how I will ever get the trophy for fully developing all my characters. CP is so hard to find in large doses.

Hmm, that's odd. He only did his one track from XII in the show I saw.

rataven

Kagari said:
Hmm, that's odd. He only did his one track from XII in the show I saw.
I noticed the announcement was on the same day as XIII's NA release. Probably added a few tracks to coincide with the hype. Hopefully he'll slip something from XIV in there too.

Cep

Banned
Vanille said:
Or, you know, maybe just accept that people have different opinions...

I do accept that people have different opinions.

This fact does not validate their opinions, it just allows them to exist.

ZephyrFate said:
OPINIONS ARE TERRIBLE AND SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO EXIST

get over yourself

Makes no sense.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rataven said:
I noticed the announcement was on the same day as XIII's NA release. Probably added a few tracks to coincide with the hype. Hopefully he'll slip something from XIV in there too.

If you read the preview for the Stockholm show, it looks like they will be.

Cep said:
I do accept that people have different opinions.

This fact does not validate their opinions, it just allows them to exist.

Makes no sense.
Sarcasm flew over your head like an eagle soaring into the heavens

The only problem I had with the ending was it was too short and it wasn't as satisfying as if we were able to
see the wedding or how the citizens of Cocoon were adapting to life on Pulse. An epilogue if you will.
Other than that, I liked the ending a lot.

Cep

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Sarcasm flew over your head like an eagle soaring into the heavens

Or perhaps you are too willing to think little of others, did it occur to you that I may have been responding to the implication behind the sarcasm?

I did not disparage the posters opinion(even though I have no problem with doing so), I told Kagari that it was best not to.

I mean, little point in attacking someones opinion (even if you think it stupid), unless they try to pass it off as fact.

rataven

Kagari said:
If you read the preview for the Stockholm show, it looks like they will be.
Nice. So you've been to a previous show? Is it worth it? Have always wanted to go, and hearing new FF music live is really tempting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
rataven said:
Nice. So you've been to a previous show? Is it worth it? Have always wanted to go, and hearing new FF music live is really tempting.
It's very worth it.

cosmicblizzard said:
The only problem I had with the ending was it was too short and it wasn't as satisfying as if we were able to
see the wedding or how the citizens of Cocoon were adapting to life on Pulse. An epilogue if you will.
Other than that, I liked the ending a lot.
I liked it too. My Hands actually made the ending even better, strangely enough.

Shadow780

rataven said:

They didn't play a lot of musics prior to VI, so if you like old school musics in orchestral arrangements you'll be disappointed. Alot of VII and VIII tracks, since they're the most popular.

It's still a great great experience, YOU GET TO MEET UEMATSU FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES.

Cep

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I liked it too. My Hands actually made the ending even better, strangely enough.

Not very strange at all, the song is not that bad.

I very much enjoyed it in the trailer(even though it was poorly edited) as well as the game.

rataven

Yoshichan said:
It's very worth it.
Shadow780 said:
They didn't play a lot of musics prior to VI, so if you like old school musics in orchestral arrangements you'll be disappointed. Alot of VII and VIII tracks, since they're the most popular.

It's still a great great experience, YOU GET TO MEET UEMATSU FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES.
Awesome, thanks. I love VII on, so that's actually perfect. I know it's a bit overplayed, but to hear those tracks live would be insane. I would probably pass out.

Wait, how do you get to meet Uematsu?!?! How do I do this?!

Shadow780

rataven said:
Awesome, thanks. I love VII on, so that's actually perfect. I know it's a bit overplayed, but to hear those tracks live would be insane. I would probably pass out.

Wait, how do you get to meet Uematsu?!?! How do I do this?!

I bought the VIP tickets, so I went to the meet n' greet sessions after the concert. Shake hands, take pictures, get your stuffs signed, etc. Comes with a signed copy of DW CD too.

Not sure about yours, check the site to see if such an opportunity can be purchased.

Cep

Banned
Shadow780 said:
I bought the VIP tickets, so I went to the meet n' greet sessions after the concert.

Not sure about yours, check the site to see if such an opportunity can be purchased.

Soooo jealous.

rataven

Shadow780 said:
I bought the VIP tickets, so I went to the meet n' greet sessions after the concert. Shake hands, take pictures, get your stuffs signed, etc. Comes with a signed copy of DW CD too.

That's really awesome that he's so accessible to his fans. He must see some crazy stuff though :lol

Feep

Banned
Just beat the game.

It's almost more painful to see flashes of brilliance come through than a numbing experience throughout, in my opinion, and to me, FFXIII is a perfect example.

The characters, writing, and dialogue in this game were absolutely destructive beyond measure. Shit makes even less sense at the finale approaches, and it relies heavily on a literal encyclopedia to get across vital points of information. Regarding gameplay, despite the relative success of the battle system, I have never seen more repetitive pacing in an RPG: walk, fight, small cutscene, walk, fight, small cutscene. There was no appreciable variety in gameplay for well over fifty hours, an absolutely damning number.

There were moments of greatness, but overall, four and a half years of development time and a sixty million dollar budget may have hurt this game more than helped it.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Feep said:
Just beat the game.

It's almost more painful to see flashes of brilliance come through than a numbing experience throughout, in my opinion, and to me, FFXIII is a perfect example.

The characters, writing, and dialogue in this game were absolutely destructive beyond measure. Shit makes even less sense at the finale approaches, and it relies heavily on a literal encyclopedia to get across vital points of information. Regarding gameplay, despite the relative success of the battle system, I have never seen more repetitive pacing in an RPG: walk, fight, small cutscene, walk, fight, small cutscene. There was no appreciable variety in gameplay for well over fifty hours, an absolutely damning number.

There were moments of greatness, but overall, four and a half years of development time and a sixty million dollar budget may have hurt this game more than helped it.

There were diversions sprinkled throughout the game. The walk > fight > cutscene > repeat is pretty much the formula all rpgs relay on alongside a town in between & a few sidequest thrown at the end of the game & I did not miss them in this game at all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FTWer said:
There were diversions sprinkled throughout the game. The walk > fight > cutscene > repeat is pretty much the formula all rpgs relay on alongside a town in between & a few sidequest thrown at the end of the game & I did not miss them in this game at all.

It still shouldn't be hard to atleast see WHY people missed bigger diversions like towns, though. They needed more to break up the pacing of constant action, instead you have a 40-50 hour game that is constantly fighting, which is really grueling.

I took a week long break right at chapter 11, a couple days after starting chapter 13, and forced myself to make one final push to beat it today, but the only reason I took breaks was because I knew I'd just be fighting shit everytime I played the game again. I usually just straight play through a game without stopping aside from a few days where I might be busy doing stuff.

With other RPGs, there's a lot of downtime. You might not miss it, but I did...I feel accomplished getting to rest in a town, or being able to go back to older dungeons to get stuff you may have missed. In FFXIII you're always moving forward, even if you go back to Pulse you're still fighting enemies that are always atleast some sort of an obstacle, you never actually get a point where you can return to area with extremely easy enemies and steamroll through getting items, which I always like doing. It's sorta similar to level scaling in something like oblivion, which also got tiring to me.

Firestorm

FTWer said:
Hey look it's some of that variety he was missing.

Cep

Banned
Feep said:
Just beat the game.

I use to think FF12 and Dragon Age to be the pinnacle of poor pacing.

Then came FF13.

Dresden

Just go play any RPG after FFXIII. Resonance of Fate starts you off in a town and hands you a quest. Then it sets you loose.

Felt good, bro. Felt good.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
Just go play any RPG after FFXIII. Resonance of Fate starts you off in a town and hands you a quest. Then it sets you loose.

Felt good, bro. Felt good.

Is RoF truly that great or is the reaction mainly due to FF13 disappointment?

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
I think it's a great game. To each his own, though. It seems to be hit-or-miss with most people.

I have not yet played, just wanted an honest opinion.

Gaf seems really positive about the game. Suspiciously so.

The game guaranteed itself a purchase from me when I found out I could dress stuff up (Not to mention that I love me some steam punk).

Belfast

So, I've finally hit Ch. 11 and I've been tooling around a bit. I did the missions that were available to me, but people are talking about a post-game. Many guides seem to suggest finishing the story first then coming back, is that the wise thing to do? I mean, is it necessary to unlock most of the missions or something?

BeeDog

Belfast said:
So, I've finally hit Ch. 11 and I've been tooling around a bit. I did the missions that were available to me, but people are talking about a post-game. Many guides seem to suggest finishing the story first then coming back, is that the wise thing to do? I mean, is it necessary to unlock most of the missions or something?

Try doing the first 15 missions or so before moving on, they'll prepare you better for some of the harder regular encounters later on.

Zzoram

So I am really hating the cutscenes now. Most of them don't even move the story forward, it's just idle chatter forcing me to listen to those awful voices and that awful dialogue yet again.

Chapter 11 has been awesome though. The game should've skipped from Chapter 3 to 7 to Chapter 11, and just played cutscene in between to bridge the story. Any tutorials or Eidolans from the missing chapters could be moved to 3 or 7.

I just got past the tower in Chapter 11. How close am I to the end of the chapter?

I have Missions 1-15, 17-27 all 5-star. I couldn't get to 16 because it was behind a giant turtle. I think I could've reached the stone for 16 with a Chocobo but I didn't bother to keep looking. I figured I'd just go back for it later.

Cep

Banned
BeeDog said:
Try doing the first 15 missions or so before moving on, they'll prepare you better for some of the harder regular encounters later on.

Agreed, though I think one can reasonably go all the way to 20.

Zzoram

Cep said:
Agreed, though I think one can reasonably go all the way to 20.

It's not hard, only 21-26 are mandatory, but 1-20 are pretty easy to 5-star with very minimal grinding, you just have to repeat a lot of the earlier ones because you're still a bit weak.

Zzoram

So are the 3 main roles cheaper in CP than the 3 other roles for any given character? Because buying low level abilities in one of the other roles for my characters is costing as much as, or more than abilities at the top of the 3 main roles (up to the cap in Ch11).

Oichi said:
Christian Nutt's FF13 review... near 10,000 words, and a fantastic read. Having finished the JPN version back in January, I pretty much agree with everything he says.

http://ferricide.livejournal.com/884751.html

Someone who dislikes grinding and enjoys linearity and scoring systems will enjoy the majority of FFXIII. This guy on the other hand loves the RPG staples of grinding, customizing, and exploration, so it's natural he wouldn't like FFXIII. His preconceived notions of genre are getting in the way of judging the game on its own merits.

I'm not sure why he's complaining about the combat systems complexity ramping up too slowly when he doesn't even bother talking about things like autobattle or the scoring system. He seems to be satisfied with the combat system after it 'ramps up' while skilled players tend to find the whole game wanting in terms of its combat and scoring.

On the other hand, if you are really interested in complex, strategic, brain twisting challenges/puzzles, you should try a hard SRPG/turn based tactics game or puzzle game.. traditional RPGs are just not that relatively complex or difficult.

hamchan

mjemirzian said:
Someone who dislikes grinding and enjoys linearity and scoring systems will enjoy the majority of FFXIII. This guy on the other hand loves the RPG staples of grinding, customizing, and exploration, so it's natural he wouldn't like FFXIII. His preconceived notions of genre are getting in the way of judging the game on its own merits.

I'm not sure why he's complaining about the combat systems complexity ramping up too slowly when he doesn't even bother talking about things like autobattle or the scoring system. He seems to be satisfied with the combat system after it 'ramps up' while skilled players tend to find the whole game wanting in terms of its combat and scoring.

On the other hand, if you are really interested in complex, strategic, brain twisting challenges/puzzles, you should try a hard SRPG/turn based tactics game or puzzle game.. traditional RPGs are just not that relatively complex or difficult.
I assume people who dislike grinding dislike how repetitive it is. A lot of FFXIIIs levels are insanely long and repetitive, it might as well be grinding.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
There's some grinding involved in pretty much every Final Fantasy-title, and more than ever in FFXIII. I suppose it's just like the poster above says though; the repetitive nature of the levels and the uneven difficulty of some enemies make it feel like grinding. The levels all seem far too long and there's little but a corridor with enemies you work your way past. Unlike earlier FF-games (for the most part) there's no sense of exploration or "I gotta earn money to buy that cool sword" and etc. You just fight to get points and items to upgrade your weapons with.

Feep

Banned
mjemirzian said:

The scoring system is irrelevant. It's a number that is determined by some formula every battle; the value is not used, saved, or utilized in any metric beyond the determination of which pixels to use to display said number.

The star ranking system is based solely on time. The scoring system is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom