• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

brandonh83 said:
So there's room for over 100 FMV's in the game but they can't... oh fuck it.
:lol I was thinking about this a few days ago. the game has like 7-8 hours of cut-scenes maybe more I'm not sure, and even then they just completely fail to tell this very simple story. all of that wasted on HERO, HERO, HERO, fal'cie, L'cie, fal'cie',focus, blah blah blah.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
at least the cutscenes look pretty. :D

Heck muting it would probably be better? :p

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just started the chapter 11, tried killing some things, farmed that behemoth king for a bit and did 3 missions. Is there a point of no return, i mean can you always come back here and hunt after you continue the storyline or are you stuck and can only go back after you beat the game ?

Guess now would be a good idea to start upgrading the gear too :lol

darkwing

miladesn said:
:lol I was thinking about this a few days ago. the game has like 7-8 hours of cut-scenes maybe more I'm not sure, and even then they just completely fail to tell this very simple story. all of that wasted on HERO, HERO, HERO, fal'cie, L'cie, fal'cie',focus, blah blah blah.

it's more like fallacy, fallacy, fallacy, lazy, lazy, lazy

i'm just tired of all those words being drilled to my head, plus the constant battle in a tunnel path xD

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kandrick said:
Just started the chapter 11, tried killing some things, farmed that behemoth king for a bit and did 3 missions. Is there a point of no return, i mean can you always come back here and hunt after you continue the storyline or are you stuck and can only go back after you beat the game ?

Guess now would be a good idea to start upgrading the gear too :lol

You get told when you're about to leave and are forced to stick it through chapter 12. You can return at the start of 13 if you want.

Pimpbaa

Are the cutscenes that use in-game assets prerendered? Hard to tell on the PS3 version because the quality of the FMVs is so high.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pimpbaa said:
Are the cutscenes that use in-game assets prerendered? Hard to tell on the PS3 version because the quality of the FMVs is so high.

IIRC, they're in real time... Except for the CGI :p

Pooya

Pimpbaa said:
most of them are FMV, I was sitting very close to TV, less than a 1m (I know:lol, my room is small ), while playing and I could tell when it was FMV or not, pretty much 70-80% of cut-scenes are FMV, all the good looking ones that lots of thing happens with many characters on screen with high poly models are all FMV. only very short ones are real time from what I remember.

Cep

Banned
Feep said:
That's actually right where I went to check.

Ironically, I am making an RPG, and the RPG contains a ranking system (see below). I *do* think it's a good idea, I was just confused on that number. Why bother with that?

5zkzh5.jpg

Tell me more of this RPG.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
miladesn said:
:lol I was thinking about this a few days ago. the game has like 7-8 hours of cut-scenes maybe more I'm not sure,

Er, what? Not really. It actually feels like it's less than previous games. Besides, FF is mostly about story and characters so I say bring 'em on.

and even then they just completely fail to tell this very simple story.

Really? Completely fails? Not sure where you're getting that. Maybe you weren't paying attention?

all of that wasted on HERO, HERO, HERO, fal'cie, L'cie, fal'cie',focus, blah blah blah.

Uh huh. The characters are thrust into this situation within a world where these subjects play a central role and you expect them not to talk about it? :lol

ULTROS!

miladesn said:
most of them are FMV, I was sitting very close to TV, less than a 1m (I know:lol, my room is small ), while playing and I could tell when it was FMV or not, pretty much 70-80% of cut-scenes are FMV, all the good looking ones that lots of thing happens with many characters on screen with high poly models are all FMV. only very short ones are real time from what I remember.

Well for one I know the PS3 cutscenes are in-game since some of the cut scenes "merge" with the battle scenes like
the first battle, the 2nd Barthandelus battle in Oerba, and probably the first battle in Ch 12
. Don't know for the 360 version though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
miladesn said:
I never particularly liked this argument. Yes, the story is a bit hollow and limp.. I agree with your actual point. But it's not because the game threw jargon at you: every fantasy or sci fi does this (Jedi, Force, Sith, padawan... Blah blah blah).

I actually thought the jargon was pretty simple and it's all explained in the datalog in the beginning of the game, and elaborated on by further scenes. There are these god things, Falcie. They get humans to do things, who are called L'cie. What they want them to do is called a focus. It was pretty simple.

Now did the story lack a great narrative? Well yes. Just thought I'd say that the whole jargon thing doesn't really speak to a real problem with it.

Peff

The main problem with the story is that it is too clearly split in two. The first half is all about the characters and their problems and there's really no progress at all with the fugitive thing and their Focus, and by the time the "LET'S SAVE TEH WORLD" actually starts there's so little game left the characters are basically interchangeable and the events themselves are extremely simple, without twists or anything
The premise for chapters 10, 11, 12 and half of 13 is the same, "The Evil Pope says we have to destroy Orphan but we have to find a way not to destroy Cocoon as well"

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Peff said:
The main problem with the story is that is too clearly split in two. The first half is all about the characters and their problems and there's really no progress at all with the fugitive thing and their Focus, and by the time the "LET'S SAVE TEH WORLD" actually starts there's so little game left the characters are basically interchangeable and the events themselves are extremely simple, without twists or anything
The premise for chapters 10, 11, 12 and half of 13 is the same, "The Evil Pope says we have to destroy Orphan but we have to find a way not to destroy Cocoon as well"
Well said.. I agree completely.

ULTROS!

Peff said:
The main problem with the story is that it is too clearly split in two. The first half is all about the characters and their problems and there's really no progress at all with the fugitive thing and their Focus, and by the time the "LET'S SAVE TEH WORLD" actually starts there's so little game left the characters are basically interchangeable and the events themselves are extremely simple, without twists or anything

I agree too. I felt like the story was stagnant all throughout and when the game ended I was like "oh, it ended? what happened?"

sam27368

Banned
something tiny i've noticed that is bugging me
taijins tower apex area is called cloven spire in all the guide books, i wonder why :s
like i said, tiny.

squall211

Choopy said:
Seriously? Can anyone confirm this?
I farm the ones roaming around the Steppes on and off, and while they've dropped plenty of ingots I've only ever gotten 1 Trap from them. And I'm almost done all the missions too :(

I can honestly say that I got 2 traps from killing about 150 turtles on Pulse, and 4 traps from killing about 40-50 turtles on Eden.

squall211 said:
I can honestly say that I got 2 traps from killing about 150 turtles on Pulse, and 4 traps from killing about 40-50 turtles on Eden.

So most agree that the Eden turtle works best, is there a consesus on the catalogs? Is it better to only have the connesuire catalog by itself? or is it fine to have both that and the collector equipped? I have both on right now. Does increasing the catalog to star effect the drops much?

BeeDog

Whoa whoa whoa.

I'm post-end now; is there a way to go back to the Adamantoise area in Eden? Or does the Eden gate not stretch back there?

kiun

BeeDog said:
Whoa whoa whoa.

I'm post-end now; is there a way to go back to the Adamantoise area in Eden? Or does the Eden gate not stretch back there?

Yea you can backtrack to Eden gate area even after u beat the last boss. As for traps, I find farming Long Guis faster.

SquallASF said:
So most agree that the Eden turtle works best, is there a consesus on the catalogs? Is it better to only have the connesuire catalog by itself? or is it fine to have both that and the collector equipped? I have both on right now. Does increasing the catalog to star effect the drops much?
If you're going for Traps, roll with both catalogs. Unequip the Connoisseur if you're just content farming ingots. Maxing out its experience doesn't make any difference.

The Eden turtle works best for the sake of convenience (i.e. TP recharge) and you CAN get back to it easily enough via a quick backtrack through Edenhall.

As for whether it boasts a higher Trap drop %, I farmed it just as much as the adamants down on Pulse and bagged an identical 2 Traps. 5th trap was bagged off a Long Gui, 6th from dismantling a Genji Glove once all the mission trophies were completed. In terms of drop %, Long Guis do pay off the best in terms of odds.

One thing I will stress is to not go with the weapon dismantling method until you've earned enough credits to clear through absolutely everything else on your Treasure Hunter hitlist. It's just a waste of Gil otherwise.

Lince

Banned
squall211 said:

wow that sounds irritating to say the least, I got 8 traps after killing 59 turtles (yes I was counting), with both collectors and connoisseur catalogs equipped.

flyover

Peff said:
Really good post. I agree. Neither the characters nor the world felt fully realized to me (despite the backstory mentioned in the datalog). In fact, it felt like the characters lives all began about two weeks before the game opens.

And the story really was simple, so much so that the same conversations cropped up again and again, as if there was nothing to add.

Then again, maybe all of Vanille's goddamn chirps, grunts, and giggles were some secret language, telling an epic tale that was the equivalent of Joyce's Ulysses + Homer's Ulysses + Ulysses S. Grant.

justjohn

I assume male pattern baldness doesn't exist in nomura's world.

Btw this game is so fucking addictive. I just had to buy the official guide today as I see myself spending a crazy amount of time on this.

BeeDog

B-Rad Lascelle said:
If you're going for Traps, roll with both catalogs. Unequip the Connoisseur if you're just content farming ingots. Maxing out its experience doesn't make any difference.

The Eden turtle works best for the sake of convenience (i.e. TP recharge) and you CAN get back to it easily enough via a quick backtrack through Edenhall.

As for whether it boasts a higher Trap drop %, I farmed it just as much as the adamants down on Pulse and bagged an identical 2 Traps. 5th trap was bagged off a Long Gui, 6th from dismantling a Genji Glove once all the mission trophies were completed. In terms of drop %, Long Guis do pay off the best in terms of odds.

One thing I will stress is to not go with the weapon dismantling method until you've earned enough credits to clear through absolutely everything else on your Treasure Hunter hitlist. It's just a waste of Gil otherwise.

Some peeps say that having both catalogs equipped decrease the drop rate for a Trapezohedron. Which is it? I only have the Connossieur Catalog equipped now, and would love to know. :D

Lince: What turtles did you farm, the Eden one or Gran Pulse turtles?

C.T.

Meier said:
I only need to beat the Neochu (sp?) and then the guy who unlocks for beating all the others and I'll have defeated all the Titan missions. Should I not beat Mission 51 first? I haven't even figured out how to beat a regular Adamantoise let alone worrying about harder ones. :lol Do they only replace the Adamanechild's?

It will replace adamanechilds and Adamantoise. Well one "old" Adamantoise will be left. Are you sure you have the right strategy for defeating an Adamantoise? It's not that hard. I just Fang/Light/Vanilla or Hope
start with Sync/Sync/Sync or Sync/Sync/Heal
Buff (haste, protect, faith on all three)
change to Rav/Rav/Heal and attack a leg till it breaks, increase till damage is at 500-600 procent depending on your strength and change to
Com/Heal/Heal and use Highwind attack the other leg so the AI doesn't attack the body and cancel to Rav/Rav/Heal and repeat the process
He will fall down
change to Sync/Jam/Jam (what is it in the english version again?, debuffer)
change to RAV/RAV/RAV and when he breaks till 999%
change to RAV/RAV/RAV

You should make it in time when you have 3rd tier weapons and have your main roles maxed.

@ Choopy

It worked for me. I defeated tutles for hours an grand pulse and didn't get anything. Just Platinum Ingots. While I got a lot of traps in eden.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
flyover said:
And the story really was simple...

I keep reading this and I just can't reconcile it with the game I played. It's definitely simplER than past FF plots but I don't think it's to the point where it's a dramatic difference.

What's the 'best' way of playing Gran Pulse... Go and do a load of missions, do the main story? Bit of both... Can you go back and complete other missions throughout the remaining chapters?

B-Rad Lascelle said:

Thanks, guess I'll stick to what I'm doing (Eden turtle with both catalogs on). I only did a handful or so and got ingots most of them. Hopefully I'll get lucky and receive some traps next time.

AdamChrisH said:
What's the 'best' way of playing Gran Pulse... Go and do a load of missions, do the main story? Bit of both... Can you go back and complete other missions throughout the remaining chapters?

Are you going to try to get all the achievements/trophies? or just want to make sure you're strong enough to beat the game?

SquallASF said:
Are you going to try to get all the achievements/trophies? or just want to make sure you're strong enough to beat the game?
Strong enough! But, I want to 'see' as much as possible... Not bothered about getting everything achievement-wise, but want to be able to make the most of the game without it becoming obsessive about getting absolutely everything!

AdamChrisH said:
Strong enough! But, I want to 'see' as much as possible... Not bothered about getting everything achievement-wise, but want to be able to make the most of the game without it becoming obsessive about getting absolutely everything!

In that case, you won't have to go through the measures to get the growth egg early. I'd say do at least the first 14 missions to get access to the chocobo so you can get around most of the areas and access some of those out of reach treasure orbs. Probably the right amount to get you strong enough to make it through the chapter. You'll also see a king behemoth battling one of those giant wolves when you decide to progress, that's a great place to grind. You get pre-emptive strike no matter what and both only have half their life and our distracted on each other, just make sure to kill the behemoth first. This is probably the best place to farm CP in the game too so feel free to power up as much as possible before moving on if that's your style. When you get to Chapter 13, two portals will open up near the beginning and one of them takes you back to Pulse. You can also beat the game to unlock the final level of crystarium and then load the post game save to run back to the portal I just mentioned. I can tell you that you'll need to grind and be really strong to beat 'All' of the missions but you can do most of them without grinding much.

SpokkX

FINALLY completed the game (40 hours)

I refused to grind anywhere so I had a lot of problems with many bosses. Seems like you almost NEED to grind to make the ride smooth? Bad design imo

After FF12 I really expected more. The game looks good, has a good battle system and the music is great.

Other than that.. Worst FF-story ever? Except maybe FF8/10. Dialoge was FF10-class-bad most of the time also.

Last Nomura FF i will play

Skilletor

SpokkX said:

I refused to grind anywhere so I had a lot of problems with many bosses. Seems like you almost NEED to grind to make the ride smooth? Bad design im

What? You think it's bad game design that you could beat the game without grinding, but it was challenging? :lol

140.85 said:
Er, what? Not really. It actually feels like it's less than previous games. Besides, FF is mostly about story and characters so I say bring 'em on.

Wasn't the official statement 9 hours of cutscenes?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SpokkX said:

I refused to grind anywhere so I had a lot of problems with many bosses. Seems like you almost NEED to grind to make the ride smooth? Bad design imo

After FF12 I really expected more. The game looks good, has a good battle system and the music is great.

Other than that.. Worst FF-story ever? Except maybe FF8/10. Dialoge was FF10-class-bad most of the time also.

Last Nomura FF i will play

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

dramatis

-COOLIO- said:
last boss

so hard

going to have to

pay $1 late fee :[

You can do it! You just have to believe! You made a promise!

No seriously what's your characters, paradigms, setup, etc. You can wipe him off the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom