• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzim

Banned
schennmu said:
With a little bit of distance I can say:

- Best battle system in any "modern" JRPG
- Amazing presentation.
Oerba
and outside of Taejin Tower are a site to behold.

- Everything else: Crap

And Leona Lewis represents everything that is wrong with the series IMO.

Considering how important the battle system is for any RPG, it is still a good game in my book though.
This.

The only thing letting me play it right now is the fact that my friends call me a fake fan because I'm still at chapter 11/12 lol

Shadow780 said:
well, after 84hrs, I'm plat.

Minamu said:
No one cares but woo Platinum, 95 hours!

I must be doing it wrong since I'm at 100 and just started farming for Dark Matter :lol

I really don't know if I can be bothered with Treasure Hunter tbh

Rahxephon91 said:
Maybe in crazy land.

FFXIII's OST pretty forgettable bar a few tracks. XII despite not having anything catchy had a lot of tracks that still resonate with me and it had Clash on the Big Bridge which automatically makes it better.

Oyashiro

I finally reached the grinding spot at the end of Chapter 13. I think I will be doing some grinding for a bit before I attempt to go on. I'm not sure if it's worth it though... I'm definitely not planning on getting all the achievements because it seems like a huge waste of time. I'll be doing all the missions and giving this game a rest.

I really wish I would have gone back to Gran Pulse when I had the chance :| Getting the Growth Egg would have made this boring grinding section go by a lot faster...

Arjen

Thanks for al the tips on mission 54 guys, managed to beat him the non-cheap way.
Two more missions and i'm done with this game.

Choopy

Neo Member
Phew.

Platinum at 87 hours. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. :lol

Gonna miss playing. Enjoyed (almost) every minute of it!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFVI-FFX soundtrack > FFXII and FFXIII's soundtrack :p

Synless

Choopy said:
Phew.

Platinum at 87 hours. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. :lol

Gonna miss playing. Enjoyed (almost) every minute of it!
How are you guys doing this so fast? I've been trying to kill turtles for hours and never get shit. Also the spamming death trick sucks ass. I easily have to restart the battle 6 times to every 1 win, I'm sure I'm strong enough to be doing it too.......and when I do win I don't get shit, no plat ingots, I did get 1 trap though.

Amir0x

Banned
darkwings said:
how is crappy background music and leona lewis good?

I think it goes without saying that if I think the music is good, I do not think it has "crappy background music." I think the soundtrack is diverse and memorable, has one of the best boss battle themes of all time, and fits the mood of scenes and levels more perfectly than most FF games.

I think it is a top 5 FF soundtrack.

That said, you're free to disagree. I think you'd need a better argument than "crappy background music and leona lewis."

Leona Lewis sucks, absolutely. But it's hardly the defining point of the soundtrack.

Darkatomz

Synless said:
How are you guys doing this so fast? I've been trying to kill turtles for hours and never get shit. Also the spamming death trick sucks ass. I easily have to restart the battle 6 times to every 1 win, I'm sure I'm strong enough to be doing it too.......and when I do win I don't get shit, no plat ingots, I did get 1 trap though.
You using the catalogues at all? I literally got Ingots like every other fight, and death spam works well, I usually win matches under 2min every time.

Synless

I have the connessieour catalog equipped. All my characters have mastered 4 out of 6 classes and are about to master another...I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Battles take like 5 minutes or so and that's if I win them.

Once you're strong enough it's better to kill them the normal way instead of by death spamming because you don't need to grind TP in order to summon. Gaia Rings really, really help with this.

BeeDog

badcrumble said:
Once you're strong enough it's better to kill them the normal way instead of by death spamming because you don't need to grind TP in order to summon. Gaia Rings really, really help with this.

I should be strong enough, but I still don't have a good tactic to kill them with (relative) ease. :/ Got any good tips for the -toises?

entremet

Synless said:
I have the connessieour catalog equipped. All my characters have mastered 4 out of 6 classes and are about to master another...I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Battles take like 5 minutes or so and that's if I win them.
Are you using the summon trick? Also are using Sazh or Fang as the party leader? Genji Gloves too? It sounds like you're strong enough, to be honest.

BeeDog said:
I should be strong enough, but I still don't have a good tactic to kill them with (relative) ease. :/ Got any good tips for the -toises?
-Fang/Hope/Lightning
-One maxed Gaia Ring on each character
-as many Genji Gloves and +STR/MAG accessories (str/mag depending on the character)

Start off with syn/med/syn, fully buffing everybody (it's better to control Fang and do as much of it manually as you can, otherwise she'll often only cast one buff per turn, which is slower than casting several of them at once).

Then, switch to rav/med/rav, go after one of the legs, once it staggers, raise its damage% a little bit (once Fang's got a maxed Stagger Lock weapon and maxed crystarium, you won't need to raise the damage% past the stagger point), and then switch to com/med/rav and Highwind it, it should take the leg out. Repeat this process for the other leg (you might want to stay in com/med/rav and target the other leg, THEN switch to rav/med/rav, otherwise Lightning might start attacking the Adamantoise's head instead of going after the leg right off the bat, and that'll slow you down).

Once it goes down, IMMEDIATELY switch to sab/sab/sab and land slow/imperil/deshell/deprotect on it as fast as you can, and then switch to rav/rav/rav to drive it up to 999% damage multiplier, then com/com/com to finish it off. If you're strong enough, one round of this ought to suffice to kill the damn thing. If it recovers and stands up again, or if your damage multiplier looks like it's running out, immediately Highwind the head for massive damage as a last-resort attack.

I've got all three characters maxed in every role, and three fully maxed ultimate weapons (quick stagger/siphon boost/stagger lock) and can do this process in about 2:30 and don't need to grind any TP between battles, just reload the Adamantoise. If you're having too much trouble, go from:

rav/med/rav
com/med/rav
syn/med/syn
sab/sab/sab
rav/rav/rav
com/com/com

to taking out com/med/rav (you can switch to Cerberus when you need to Highwind a leg, it'll also raise your total damage boost and make the move more powerful) and replace it with Sen/Sen/Sen for surviving stuff like Howl and Quake (although the Gaia Rings ought to do it for the former).

I'm thinking of maxing out Lightning's Attack: ATB Charge weapon, though, since Quick Stagger really isn't such a great ability upon closer examination of how it works, and speeding her up significantly (same as what Hope's Siphon Boost weapon does for him) would be fantastically handy.

Synless

entrement said:
Are you using the summon trick? Also are using Sazh or Fang as the party leader? Genji Gloves too? It sounds like you're strong enough, to be honest.
I am using the summon trick. Fang has the Genji Gloves, but she is not in my party for the Summon/Death spam method. I am using Vanille, Sazh, and Hope for this method. I tried to just outright kill them with Fang, Lighting, and Hope after staggering it, but no luck because I don't even get half of his life down before he kicks my ass. Fang has her Stagger lock Final Weapon maxed out too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's my strategy for tortoise killing:

Fang/Lightning/Hope

SAB/SYN/SYN - Fang should be hasted then summon, then sab all the way till staggered then...
COM/COM/SYN - Keep attacking (even in summon mode) till everyone gets boosted up (at least having atk up + haste) then...
COM/RAV/RAV - Use this until staggered then...
COM/COM/COM or COM/COM/RAV.

Make sure you have genji gloves and strength increasing items. :p

Synless

ULTROS! said:
Here's my strategy for tortoise killing:

Fang/Lightning/Hope

SAB/SYN/SYN - Fang should be hasted then summon, then sab all the way till staggered then...
COM/COM/SYN - Keep attacking (even in summon mode) till everyone gets boosted up (at least having atk up + haste) then...
COM/RAV/RAV - Use this until staggered then...
COM/COM/COM or COM/COM/RAV.

Make sure you have genji gloves and strength increasing items. :p
Maybe I should wait to kill these things until everyone has Genji Gloves then....I only have one at the moment.

ULTROS!

Genji gloves would be useful if your attacks are 2200-2500+

Synless

ULTROS! said:
Genji gloves would be useful if your attacks are 2200-2500+
Yea, the only missions I have left to do are 62, 63 and 64. I'm just going to get those gloves and then try all this again.

ULTROS!

62 is the worst mission ever. Let alone 5-starring it. :p

BeeDog

ULTROS! said:
62 is the worst mission ever. Let alone 5-starring it. :p

Even worse than the last mission? I managed to kill them on my first try; of course, they put up one hell of a fight, but I kept my cool and managed fine (4-starring the battle, though).

Oh, and thanks guys for the -toise strategies.

entremet

Synless said:
I am using the summon trick. Fang has the Genji Gloves, but she is not in my party for the Summon/Death spam method. I am using Vanille, Sazh, and Hope for this method. I tried to just outright kill them with Fang, Lighting, and Hope after staggering it, but no luck because I don't even get half of his life down before he kicks my ass. Fang has her Stagger lock Final Weapon maxed out too.
Forget about the Death spam method.

It doesn't look like you're debuffing the oretortoise's when they're down. It's a essential to get deprotect, deshell, imperil and slow before attacking them. you also need to use brave/bravera and faith/faithra on Fang, along with Haste on all characters. Once you break the turtle, go on COM/RAV/RAV or COM/COM/COM.

Look up the Sazh methods as well, they work better with a lower leveled party, but you're levels are pretty decent.

Shadow780

Synless said:
Maybe I should wait to kill these things until everyone has Genji Gloves then....I only have one at the moment.

You don't, an alternative way is with Sazh's Blitz and summon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_A_NHo0AeU

Equip Energy Sash on all three characters. Conn. Catalog/Collector's on whoever you like.

Champion's badge, Survival Catalog and Speed Sash on Lightning with her Lionheart (so she gets Gestalt TP Boost), go to Eden Hall and kill the toise, defeat the two groups of soldiers near where the turtle is, you should have 3 TPs again with all those equipments.

Save/Load, repeat.

ULTROS!

Mission 64 looks hard and intimidating but its personally one of the easiest I've encountered because
all you need to do is heal/poison/defend all the way

entremet

BeeDog said:
How did you use Army of One in that fight?
I used Army of One to get the stagger meter up quickly. They have ridiculous stagger resistance, but Army of One cuts right through that resistance. The trick is to concentrate on one at time. Shrouds are also essential.

eznark

Banned
Wow, fuck the boss at the end of 11. 25 minutes of kicking his ass just so he can doom me in the end. I really, really, really don't want to go through that again.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
By the way.. this jumped out at me instantly, so if everyone else noticed it, don't jump down my throat for pointing out something obvious :D I just wanted to acknowledge it, just in case anyone missed it.

This early promotional picture
is set in the last hallway before the final boss. Somehow I doubt Light would just have a seat there and pose all cool... :) Still, I thought it was a nice reference. I bet they didn't really know where to put this section so they just stuck it at the end. Does Orphan really need a waiting room?

3624196853_48f9b5bf52.jpg

BocoDragon said:
is set in the last hallway before the final boss. Somehow I doubt Light would just have a seat there and pose all cool... :) Still, I thought it was a nice reference. I bet they didn't really know where to put this section so they just stuck it at the end. Does Orphan really need a waiting room?

Maybe
that's why we never see the Cavalry, Orphan had too many people to fight and had Lightning's group take a number.

BocoDragon said:
By the way.. this jumped out at me instantly, so if everyone else noticed it, don't jump down my throat for pointing out something obvious :D I just wanted to acknowledge it, just in case anyone missed it.

When I saw that, I said to myself
I bet that's the room before the final boss. It's ALWAYS the white room.
When I got to that point, I felt awesome for being right for once.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
cosmicblizzard said:
When I saw that, I said to myself
I bet that's the room before the final boss. It's ALWAYS the white room.
When I got to that point, I felt awesome for being right for once.
I assumed it was Light's apartment or office or something, and you'd get to explore it along with her whole town. :/

Synless

Shadow780 said:
You don't, an alternative way is with Sazh's Blitz and summon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_A_NHo0AeU

Equip Energy Sash on all three characters. Conn. Catalog/Collector's on whoever you like.

Champion's badge, Survival Catalog and Speed Sash on Lightning with her Lionheart (so she gets Gestalt TP Boost), go to Eden Hall and kill the toise, defeat the two groups of soldiers near where the turtle is, you should have 3 TPs again with all those equipments.

Save/Load, repeat.
Shit, I can't believe that with such low specs that that person took that thing down. I clearly needed to change my strategy.

Three stupid, noobish Hope questions: (I'm currently mid Ch. 11)

Does he ever learn Haste?
Can I somehow change it so he casts Bravery and Faith before other buffs as a synergist?
I still hate him. (not a question, I guess)

Revengeance said:
Three stupid, noobish Hope questions: (I'm currently mid Ch. 11)

Does he ever learn Haste?
Can I somehow change it so he casts Bravery and Faith before other buffs as a synergist?
I still hate him. (not a question, I guess)

Yes - He can unlock it once the Crystarium expands in Chapter 11.
No - The AI will just cast the most suitable first.
Boo - Your hatred is wrong. Hope is awesome. ;p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
Wow, fuck the boss at the end of 11. 25 minutes of kicking his ass just so he can doom me in the end. I really, really, really don't want to go through that again.
:( worst.

if it's any consolation, and it probably isn't, it means that you were taking too long, so if you try again with a better strategy, you should be able to get through it much quicker.

eznark

Banned
Rez said:
:( worst.

if it's any consolation, and it probably isn't, it means that you were taking too long, so if you try again with a better strategy, you should be able to get through it much quicker.

It's a shame because I was really having a decent time with the battle and didn't mind the length. If he would have killed me on one of those machine gun type moves I would not have been bothered, but doom? Fuck you, pal!

Guess I'll go back to grind. Should probably have the three main roles leveled all the way up anyway.

Since there are a bunch in this area, what's the fastest way to kill a Vetala? So darn annoying.

eznark said:
It's a shame because I was really having a decent time with the battle and didn't mind the length. If he would have killed me on one of those machine gun type moves I would not have been bothered, but doom? Fuck you, pal!

I hated that boss battle too for the exact same reason.

Took me ages to beat him.

eznark said:

Guess I'll go back to grind. Should probably have the three main roles leveled all the way up anyway.

Since there are a bunch in this area, what's the fastest way to kill a Vetala? So darn annoying.
By the way, you can use a summon to cancel Doom. I don't remember if it cures it outright or if you're supposed to summon right before the counter runs out, because I haven't done it, but I know that it works.

Lightning

Banned
eznark said:

I killed Vetala by Rav/Rav/Rav until it was staggered, then switched to Com/Sab/Rav to have Vanille debuff the boss for Hope and Lightning to finish the enemy off.

The key for the boss of chapter 11 is to keep him under Deprotect/Deshell status you are under Faith/Bravery. You don't need to fill your 3 main roles for this fight, I didn't.

When he starts status effecting you, Med/Med/Med and they will be gone real quick. While the boss is under status effects and you are buffed this battle will just flow. You should not even come close to seeing doom.

Sydle

Need urgent help on the chapter 9 boss:

Destroyed the four heads and now I'm about half way through its health. It just casted Doom on Lightning. There's no way I can kill it before Doom gets her. Is this automatic game over?

Just read that the game typically casts Doom on the party leader when taking too long to defeat it. That's such bullshit. I hate this game. If that's the case, then what strategy did you use to defeat it faster? My crystarium is maxed out for now, so maybe my weapons and accessories aren't leveled up enough?

:(

Lightning

Banned
Paco said:

Destroyed the four heads and now I'm about half way through its health. It just casted Doom on Lightning. There's no way I can kill it before Doom gets her. Is this automatic game over?
Taking too long.

Use a Librascoope and destoy those heads fast with Com/Rav/Rav.

After that, buff your characters and be aggressive. Equip your characters with Magic resistance armor to avoid taking mass damage allowing more time to be devoted to attacking.

Basically be aggressive.

Your setup should be Com/Rav/Rav for majority of the fight, swich to Com/Med/Rav if he starts spamming Ruin on 1 character, switch to Med/Med/Med after his mega gun attack for extra quick healing but basically you want to be in Com/Rav/Rav for most of the fight.

Lighting/Vanille/Hope is my party.

Paco said:

Apparently there's a technique to summon at just the right moment, which will cancel Doom, but I'm not sure how it's done.

If you're only half way through his health though, it pretty much is game over.

Sydle

Lightning said:
Taking too long.

Use a Librascoope and destoy those heads fast with Com/Rav/Rav.

After that, buff your characters and be aggressive. Equip your characters with Magic resistance armor to avoid taking mass damage allowing more time to be devoted to attacking.

Basically be aggressive.

Your setup should be Com/Rav/Rav for majority of the fight, swich to Com/Med/Rav if he starts spamming Ruin on 1 character, switch to Med/Med/Med after his mega gun attack for extra quick healing but basically you want to be in Com/Rav/Rav for most of the fight.

Lighting/Vanille/Hope is my party.

Save for the different party (have Fang instead of Vanille), I used the strategy you detailed. Unfortunatley, I'm having to spend A LOT of time healing.

I'll switch out my accessories for the next round. :/

CruxisMana said:
Apparently there's a technique to summon at just the right moment, which will cancel Doom, but I'm not sure how it's done.

If you're only half way through his health though, it pretty much is game over.
Well, if you die with a summon out, the summon will vanish but revive you. That's probably it. I thought that maybe the summon would also just cure you of Doom, but if not, the prior method I just mentioned definitely ought to work.

Replicant

Finished the main game. The last boss(es) were relatively easy to defeat that I wonder why I even hesitated taking him on before. I didn't even have important accessories or weapons except for Lightning's Ultima Weapon at its lowest level.

Now I just have to see if I have the patience to do the side-quests. BTW, when the trophy say level up all the characters, do they mean just each character's 3 main roles or all 6?

I just beat the final mission, hugely disappointed that a)
he's just a flying Cie'th
, and b)
he can be cheesed to death with Poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom