• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Replicant said:
Finished the main game. The last boss(es) were relatively easy to defeat that I wonder why I even hesitated taking him on before. I didn't even have important accessories or weapons except for Lightning's Ultima Weapon at its lowest level.

Now I just have to see if I have the patience to do the side-quests. BTW, when the trophy say level up all the characters, do they mean just each character's 3 main roles or all 6?

All six baby. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
CruxisMana said:
Where is the best place to grind on Pulse? Just to max out the Crystarium for Chapter 13.
adamantoise using death are the most foolproof way.taking out enemies on your way too hunts are another. I'd definitely go to all the main areas of pulse and activate the teleport stones if nothing else (the brown ceith stones on your map).

firehawk12 said:
The Behemoth near Mission 17 is the fastest if all you care about is CP.

Sure is. Thanks - I'll go check that out.

EDIT: I did manage to get around 200,000 CP from just backtracking to do missions 2-30, so I might do a combination of both.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CruxisMana said:
Sure is. Thanks - I'll go check that out.

EDIT: I did manage to get around 200,000 CP from just backtracking to do missions 2-30, so I might do a combination of both.

With the growth egg and a high powered team, you can get 12k CP in less than 30 seconds. It's just boring as heck. :lol

firehawk12 said:
With the growth egg and a high powered team, you can get 12k CP in less than 30 seconds. It's just boring as heck. :lol

Haha. I'm not looking to get that powerful, just have a bit of an advantage over the final encounters.

Oyashiro

Ugh, final boss is so annoying. It's taking me way too long just to beat the first form, and he keeps getting me with either Death or spamming status ailments and then doing his strong attack. I dunno what to do anymore :( I read somewhere that if you make Vanille the party leader and stagger him, you have a 60% success rate if you use Death on him... is that true? Sounds like a pretty good way to end the fight quickly.

SonComet

Oyashiro said:
Ugh, final boss is so annoying. It's taking me way too long just to beat the first form, and he keeps getting me with either Death or spamming status ailments and then doing his strong attack. I dunno what to do anymore :( I read somewhere that if you make Vanille the party leader and stagger him, you have a 60% success rate if you use Death on him... is that true? Sounds like a pretty good way to end the fight quickly.
I used lightning, fang, hope. Main trees maxed for that point in the game, max tier 2 weapons for each, 3 anti-death items on lightning. Used evened odds to buff. Relentless assault to stagger. Combat clinic to heal. Aggression once staggered. First form died in 2 staggers. Really quick and surprisingly easy. Unless you are talking about some random mission and not the final boss.

Replicant

firehawk12 said:
All six baby. :lol

GAAAAAHH!!! Ugh, I think I'll be playing Resonance of Fate first....

Oyashiro said:

The first form was very easy for me because I use the two ???-sols (aegisols and ??) prior to battle. That means all of my characters are buffed up right away so I can go right into Relentless Attack mode. It didn't take long for me to stagger the boss since Lightning has Omega Weapon and her Army of One skill. Hope and Fang just increase the odds. After that, it's combo heaven. I maybe wrong about this but while using Army of One, Lightning has the tendency to skip status ailment when it's being cast. And oh, my Crystarium is already maxed out at level 4 back then.

Synless said:
Maybe I should wait to kill these things until everyone has Genji Gloves then....I only have one at the moment.

You only need 1 Genji Glove for Fang so Highwind does full damage.

Using Fang/Vanille/Hope

You could replace Vanille with Lightning but she has the habit of using physical attacks as a Ravager which means she'll probably get squashed (KO)

Make sure to get your Earth resistance as high as possible and also equip Sprint Shoes and a Catalog if you want (give it to Fang).

1.SAB/RAV/RAV
2.COM/RAV/RAV
3.COM/RAV/MED (in case things go awry)
4.SYN/SAB/SYN
5.COM/COM/COM (If you have it otherwise use Relentless Assault)

Start out by getting some status ailments on one of the legs (Imperil is the most important) then switch to 2 and wait for the stagger on the leg to get to around 500% and use Highwind to take it out. Make sure not to use Highwind as it's stomping because it does less damage. Switch to 3 and heal up if you want and repeat.

Once it's toppled switch to 4 and re-haste everyone and caste Faithra, Bravera yourself. If you don't have SYN for Fang help out Vanille with the status ailments. Once Imperil sticks wail on it with 2 until it's stagger reaches about 850-900% and switch to 5 (if you have it) otherwise continue. Once it has about 1mil health remaining Highwind should be able to finish it off.

This strategy worked for me after finishing the main role Crystarium with a few non-main ones as well although they aren't absolutely necessary.

Almost platinumed it.

Loved:

Character (Best in the series), Music, Battle System (Best in the genre), world/myth/lore

Liked:

Story but screams lost potential, Music (very good but not the best in FF, nowhere near)

Meh:

Ugly Chocobo's, Linearity (didn't mind it tbh except for the bore that is chapter 5), VA's

Disliked:

Vanille, Beginning of the game, first 5 hours are disappointing big time

Hated:

No minigames wtf, no distractions

________

So overall its my 2nd best in the series behind FF6 due to it being the most fun game with a cast of amazing character and the most interesting world the FF people have ever made. Its a shame the plot never gets as epic as it could/should have. But its extremely strong in places that matter to me a lot, its not perfect like FF6 was and its tied 2nd with FF10, but its better than the rest and definetely an improvement over FF12 in departments that matter to me.

Oyashiro

Thanks for the tips, guys. I ultimately ended up just Poisoning the guy :lol Made the battle ridiculously easy. The very last boss was a lot easier. So yeah, game beaten. I enjoyed it, but I was expecting more. Still one of my favorite Final Fantasy games, though.

Can someone please explain to me what happened at the end? I mean, I get what happened at the very end and all, but what the fuck was up with
the whole Fang betrayal thing?
I didn't really understand that. And the thing where
the others turn into Cie'th and then suddenly come back
seems really lazy and not thought out at all. Very anti-climactic and disappointing :|

Hung Wei Lo

toasty_T said:
You only need 1 Genji Glove for Fang so Highwind does full damage.

Using Fang/Vanille/Hope

You could replace Vanille with Lightning but she has the habit of using physical attacks as a Ravager which means she'll probably get squashed (KO)

Make sure to get your Earth resistance as high as possible and also equip Sprint Shoes and a Catalog if you want (give it to Fang).

1.SAB/RAV/RAV
2.COM/RAV/RAV
3.COM/RAV/MED (in case things go awry)
4.SYN/SAB/SYN
5.COM/COM/COM (If you have it otherwise use Relentless Assault)

Start out by getting some status ailments on one of the legs (Imperil is the most important) then switch to 2 and wait for the stagger on the leg to get to around 500% and use Highwind to take it out. Make sure not to use Highwind as it's stomping because it does less damage. Switch to 3 and heal up if you want and repeat.

Once it's toppled switch to 4 and re-haste everyone and caste Faithra, Bravera yourself. If you don't have SYN for Fang help out Vanille with the status ailments. Once Imperil sticks wail on it with 2 until it's stagger reaches about 850-900% and switch to 5 (if you have it) otherwise continue. Once it has about 1mil health remaining Highwind should be able to finish it off.

This strategy worked for me after finishing the main role Crystarium with a few non-main ones as well although they aren't absolutely necessary.

not saying that one method is better than another, but here's what I did:

Fang/Light/Hope
1. SEN/SYN/SYN
2. MED/MED/MED
3. SAB/SAB/MED
4. RAV/RAV/RAV
5. COM/COM/COM
6. COM/RAV/MED

Started with 1 so the damage is minimized, while getting buffed. Depending on your HP you should be able to withstand 1 or 2 stomps.

Switch to 2 to heal.

Switch to 3 to debuff one leg (while the med cleans up any lost hp) and (mind you, this is dependent on the strength/magic of your team and how much damage you can do - I only had 1 genji glove at the time) I honestly didn't care what debuffs stuck on each leg, just more to get the stagger bar up to around 130-140%, then went to 4 to wail away on it. Reason I did this, was that with my team, at 140%, one attack round of 4 would stagger the leg to about 450-500% then I'd switch to 6 to use Highwind and take down the leg in one shot. back to 2 to heal, then rinse and repeat. it's a little more risky because i left my hp in the red a lot, but that's easily compensated by #2.. I eventually got into the rhythm to knock it on its ass before it Roared or did that other thing that hurts (can't remember what it's called :p)

when the turtle's down, debuff as mentioned above (imperil being the most important) and 4 it until the stagger bar is at 999% then 5 until it's near death then highwind

gosh...i feel like a Friends episode... Monica "you could, uh, start out with a little one, a two, a one, a two, three, a three, a five, a four, a three, two, two, a two, four, six, two, four, six, four, two, two, four, seven, five, seven, six, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven........" ..not that i've watched the show or anything

All I hear about for months is how easy this game is, and here it is kicking my ass again and again. Damn ambling bellows. There is no way in hell I can beat that thing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Trent Strong said:
All I hear about for months is how easy this game is, and here it is kicking my ass again and again. Damn ambling bellows. There is no way in hell I can beat that thing.

You have to level up a bit. Also, preemptive strike is your friend here.

I suggest you COM/COM/RAV or COM/COM/COM the Ambling Bellows. Then if the stagger ends, you can go SEN/MED/SYN or SEN/MED/SAB. Then stagger him again with COM/RAV/SEN.

spidye

Oyashiro said:
Can someone please explain to me what happened at the end? I mean, I get what happened at the very end and all, but what the fuck was up with
the whole Fang betrayal thing?
I didn't really understand that. And the thing where
the others turn into Cie'th and then suddenly come back
seems really lazy and not thought out at all. Very anti-climactic and disappointing :|
you can read everything here. I had my problems with the ending too. (beware: link contains massive spoilers for those who didn't finish it.)
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII

ULTROS! said:
You have to level up a bit. Also, preemptive strike is your friend here.

I suggest you COM/COM/RAV or COM/COM/COM the Ambling Bellows. Then if the stagger ends, you can go SEN/MED/SYN or SEN/MED/SAB. Then stagger him again with COM/RAV/SEN.

I'll try it. Thanks.

eznark

Banned
badcrumble said:
By the way, you can use a summon to cancel Doom. I don't remember if it cures it outright or if you're supposed to summon right before the counter runs out, because I haven't done it, but I know that it works.
I tried that, but I think I must have tried it too early or something. Thanks for the tips, hopefully I can get it done today

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So i finally got to chapter 13. I already did missions 1-31/32 or so, how many more can i realistically do before i beat the game ? I have all 3 main roles maxed and then some, and tier 3 weapons maxed for main team.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably most of them, if you're not worried about 5 starring them.

You would only really have trouble with the post 50 missions and even then, they are doable.

ultron87

Is there an advantage to using multiple elements on an enemy? Because when you auto battle on an enemy that is weak to say, ice and fire, it always picks something along the lines of Fire - Blizzard - Fire - Blizzard. Is this better than Fire - Fire - Fire - Fire?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ultron87 said:
Is there an advantage to using multiple elements on an enemy? Because when you auto battle on an enemy that is weak to say, ice and fire, it always picks something along the lines of Fire - Blizzard - Fire - Blizzard. Is this better than Fire - Fire - Fire - Fire?

I know that they do the same damage.

Aru

ultron87 said:

The combo gauge grows faster when you take advantage of all enemies' weaknesses.

Is it possible to beat Ch 8 summon without Haste? I fucking leveled up Ravanger for Sazh to the max, I wasnt concentrating on SYN and Vanille is maxed Medic and not much else, I simply cant beat this pos.

Lightning

Banned
MoxManiac said:
So after beating the game, where do you guys suggest starting, with the post game content? I feel kinda overwhelmed
I farmed Adamantotises until I had covered the Crystalium and then focused on missions.

Lion Heart said:
Is it possible to beat Ch 8 summon without Haste? I fucking leveled up Ravanger for Sazh to the max, I wasnt concentrating on SYN and Vanille is maxed Medic and not much else, I simply cant beat this pos.

Use shrouds instead? Haste is very helpful for that battle.

Lightning

Banned
CruxisMana said:
Use shrouds instead? Haste is very helpful for that battle.
If one is needing to use Shrouds for that easy fight then I can't wait for the plan for the actual hard fights ahead.

Haste helps in this fight, haste helps in any fight but what is essential in this fight is Fire protection and to buff your characters up to max. The more you buff the better because it raises the gesault gauge, then just have Vanille and Sazh go to town with Ravanger and Vanille does healing when necessary. With fire protection one should not be taking extreme damage.

Wazzim

Banned
eznark said:
Wow, fuck the boss at the end of 11. 25 minutes of kicking his ass just so he can doom me in the end. I really, really, really don't want to go through that again.
This.

He keeps casting doom around 1.000.000HP D:

Lightning

Banned
Wazzim said:
This.

How the fuck is this fight taking people so long? Are you guys playing with Sentinals or Medics active at all times?

Are you guys debuffing the enemy properly? Are you buffing yourself?

Wazzim said:
This.

If its taking 25 minutes or even longer than 10 minutes then your strategy isnt agressive enough. Cast Haste, then immediately just start pummeling him, for the most safest route always switch to a healing paradigm when the boss prepares to do his big move. Lastly, relentless assault is your friend.

Dedication Through Light said:
If its taking 25 minutes or even longer than 10 minutes then your strategy isnt agressive enough.

My problem was that I was being too reserved, using a Sentinel at all times, which really isn't needed as long as you keep on top of healing.

Wazzim

Banned
CruxisMana said:
My problem was that I was being too reserved, using a Sentinel at all times, which really isn't needed as long as you keep on top of healing.
Ok thanks, I guess that's my problem too. I always have a sentinel, I'll try being more aggressive now.

eznark

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
If its taking 25 minutes or even longer than 10 minutes then your strategy isnt agressive enough. Cast Haste, then immediately just start pummeling him, for the most safest route always switch to a healing paradigm when the boss prepares to do his big move. Lastly, relentless assault is your friend.
I'm nowhere near leveled enough to take him down in ten minutes, unless there is some super secret technique I don't know about. I'm using relentless and combat clinic back and forth, so I don't think I can get much more freaking aggressive. He just Doomed me a second time and this time he was pretty much one ATB charge from going down.

GAH.

And my apologies to Lightning. Exactly how much money is the FFXIII pro tour champion raking in these days?

Lightning

Banned
eznark said:
I'm nowhere near leveled enough to take him down in ten minutes, unless there is some super secret technique I don't know about. I'm using relentless and combat clinic back and forth, so I don't think I can get much more freaking aggressive. He just Doomed me a second time and this time he was pretty much one ATB charge from going down.

GAH.

And my apologies to Lightning. Exactly how much money is the FFXIII pro tour champion raking in these days?
Is Vanille in your party? Because having the boss under Deprotect and Deshell at all times will make the battle go WAY faster.

eznark said:

GAH.

I went into the battle with the main roles for each of the characters at the max (Lightning Hope and Fang). I believe that the target time it gave me (and this is without having done any quests and such to upgrade weapons) was around the 10-12 minute mark.

eznark said:

GAH.

Go Fang/Snow/Hope

SAB/SEN/SYN

Then SAB/RAV/RAV

Stagger, build with SAB/RAV/RAV

Then switch to COM/COM/RAV

Switch to SEN/SEN/MED for healing
Switch to SAB/SEN/SYN for buff/debuff
Switch to COM/SEN/MED for removing debuffs or use items to remove debuffs

Use Summons when you're in deep trouble.
Use shrouds if you are getting doom'd.
Always stay buffed and always keep the boss debuffed
Use magic/physical resistance accessories so you can stay aggressive and heal less.

eznark

Banned
Lightning said:
Is Vanille in your party? Because having the boss under Deprotect and Deshell at all times will make the battle go WAY faster.
NEVER!!

I use Lightning/Hope/Fang only for whatever reason.

Thanks guys, I beat this asshole with 1 second left. My ATB was zero and the guy needed 1-2 more hits with 1.7 left, so I jammed on square hoping that bitch Vanille would hit him one more time. Hell it was probably less than 1 second left.

This is really the only time I've struggled tbh, I mean, I had everyones main maxed out but apparantely I needed a lot more than that cause I am missing a lot of buffs. Also had to use a fortisol.

I should have equiped fire protection gear though, that was stupid of me.

i had a funny thing happen to me..

so right when i was about to finish playing the game, getting my last trophy and so on.. i thought, "wow over 130 hours on the clock and the game never froze on me or glitched or anything, that's pretty impressive nowadays!"

then... i had the weirdest glitch. one of my party members (Lightning) just vanished while just walking around at Archylte Steppe. first i thought it's nothing, she's just behind a hill or something. but i waited and waited and nothing. then i decided to switch in Lightning as the leader... and yea she came back, but my previous leader Snow disappeared! lol. and that kept going on, whoever was the leader before switching someone else in, just disappeared into thin air. wtf?!

of course it had no effect on gameplay, when i was in a battle all three were present. it was just bizarre.

happened to anyone else?

jax (old)

Banned
one of the worst games I've played. Agreed 100% with destructoid/edge.

I finished this and promptly traded it for store credit. Pretty to look at but souless and tedious. I really don't get why people even like this. Linear, boring and, mechanically and unchallenging.

Sydle

Is there a way to make characters stay away from the Sentinel, or get the Sentinel to keep a certain distance from anyone else?

Lightning

Banned
Paco said:
Is there a way to make characters stay away from the Sentinel, or get the Sentinel to keep a certain distance from anyone else?
No, not really.

Fang and Lightning are the only Sentinals that I use and they are most mobile. I just don't put them into the Sentinal role until they are away from my other characters.

For example. Vanille and Hope basically don't move at all, Sazh moves very little so you need to get the other characters who move around away from these characters if you don't want them attacked.

Sydle

Lightning said:
No, not really.

Fang and Lightning are the only Sentinals that I use and they are most mobile. I just don't put them into the Sentinal role until they are away from my other characters.

For example. Vanille and Hope basically don't move at all, Sazh moves very little so you need to get the other characters who move around away from these characters if you don't want them attacked.

Ugh, this game.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom