• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
Epix said:
Help:

I'm at Orphan just after the part where you get ported to jabbawonky dude, kill him, and come back. There seems to be three ways to go: Up the middle which is guarded by a big ass dude who summons a blade that one-shots you for 10k on each person, to the left which is guarded by two hover bikes that you can sneak past but also a caped dude + big ass dude you can't sneak past that kick your ass, and to the right with a sea of walking fish and Cie'th mobs that come in packs of 14 and overwhelm you. I've tried each way several times and I'm quickly dispatched to the point I think I'm doing something wrong. I've managed every other boss along the story so far with at most maybe 3 attempts but I've died to these fuckers 10+ times now not even getting close to success.
Equip Fulmen Rings and have someone cast Bar Ligntning on you and you will reduce the damage of that move by a lot. He is certainly worth taking down.
Some very nice items await through the portal he is guarding

Rpgmonkey

B.K. said:
It's not like his music for the game was very good either.

Agreed.

Totally disappointing since I usually really like an OST with Hamauzu involved. The majority of this game's OST was completely uninteresting, even the "atmospheric background" tracks.

After hearing those samples, really excited for the Plus soundtrack. Seems like its going to have some songs that I wanted that were missing from the actual OST.

XIII's soundtrack was awesome and the best in the franchise imo. Way better then most game soundtracks this gen.

Rahxephon91 said:
After hearing those samples, really excited for the Plus soundtrack. Seems like its going to have some songs that I wanted that were missing from the actual OST.

XIII's soundtrack was awesome and the best in the franchise imo. Way better then most game soundtracks this gen.

Your post is all truth!

Arjen said:
Ugh, so it's another one of those impossible to beat unles you get a lucky stagger/ Death.
What a load of horsecrap.
Thnx for the advice though.

You don't have to, I didn't. I tried that stagger thing but it didn't work for me. I ended up just using the shrouds and then casted enfire and went to town on him with RAV RAV RAV until stagger and then COM COM RAV to finish him off. You can quickly switch over to heal when needed. Don't recall if I bothered debuffing his defense or not. I only had a tier 2 weapon with Fang, had tier one with Light and Hope. I did however, have more HP than you. I'd recommend maxing your grid if you can first unless you keep trying for that random stagger crap.

B.K.

Rpgmonkey said:
The majority of this game's OST was completely uninteresting, even the "atmospheric background" tracks.

Not to mention completely forgettable. The only song I remember from the game is the battle theme and the only reason I remember it is from hearing it a thousand times.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Don't worry everyone.. be assured that someone will troll every FF soundtrack at some point. It even happened back in the Uematsu days.

Please understand, I respect you crazy peoples' wrong opinion... you should just know that you're crazy and wrong. :lol

<3 <3 <3 the Hamauzu XIII soundtrack

...and for that matter eff the haters who didn't like Sakimoto's XII either :lol I actually thought the last two soundtracks were some of the best in the series.

XII's soundtrack was great. Never understood the hate it got in reviews. It really fit the game.

If you want a forgettable FF soundtrack, go listen to FFIX.

or a lot of Uematsu's stuff

Meier

Few more hours of turtles and stalk only 2 traps. Fucking ridiculous.

Soundtrack is completely forgettable/average btw.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rahxephon91 said:
XII's soundtrack was great. Never understood the hate it got in reviews. It really fit the game.
Some of the discontent is because this series evolved out of simple catchy chiptunes, and the move to more atmospheric, symphonic tracks divides people (I, for one, have gobbled it up).

Another reason is that music has never been something all people will agree on :p

edit: ohhhh I quoted you before you edited. I can't co-sign on FFIX music hate :lol (not that it's particularly a favorite of mine)

Rpgmonkey

BocoDragon said:
Don't worry everyone.. be assured that someone will troll every FF soundtrack at some point. It even happened back in the Uematsu days.

Please understand, I respect you crazy peoples' wrong opinion... you should just know that you're crazy and wrong. :lol

<3 <3 <3 the Hamauzu XIII soundtrack

...and for that matter eff the haters who didn't like Sakimoto's XII either :lol I actually thought the last two soundtracks were some of the best in the series.

Maybe not "bad", but it's certainly in the lower spectrum of how I would rank the series's OSTs. I actually really enjoy XII's and it's on the higher spectrum of my ranking, but find most of what XIII had to offer to be quite disappointing.

I think Sakimoto's way better at what I feel Hamauzu "failed" at, and he was good enough for the various other tracks that XII's stands far higher than XIII's imo.

Hamauzu'll always have a place in my heart though, just not most of what he did with this. :lol

j-wood

j-wood said:
When using a weapon with instant chain ability, is that only affective from the commando role? Or does it work as a ravenger too?

Sorry guys, I meant quick stagger not instant chain. The ability of Lionheart. Does that work with any role?

Minamu

Meier said:
Few more hours of turtles and stalk only 2 traps. Fucking ridiculous.

Soundtrack is completely forgettable/average btw.
It's just as well. You'll be spending an awful lot of hours there if you're going for the platinum/1000 points even after getting 6 traps. Dunno if it's true but I think you need like 45 platinum ingots to afford all the materials.

Vanille

Dust to Dust, Gapra Whitewood, Test of the l'Cie and Saber's Edge are easily some of the best tracks in the entire series. The rest of the OST ranges from "great" to "merely good". I really don't get the hate at all. =/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The soundtrack fucking owns.

ryan13ts

I'm needing some help, hoping you guys can help me out.

I've just got the part where I've picked up Snow again (After his grand entrance on Shiva) and I haven't played with him since before I obtained the upgrade system. To make a long story short, Basically, I'm trying to decide which weapon I should pour my EXP into upgrading for him.

The weapons I have for him currently are the Power Circle, Paladin, and Wild Bear, all of them are Level 1. The Paladin sounds like the best choice since it's the only one that has an added ability to it (Improved Guarding), but is it really worth the EXP needed to upgrade it at this point.... and do I need to be in the Sentienal paradigm for Improved Guarding to work? Or should I just save my components altogether and wait for a better weapon to come down the line?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Chris R

So I'm almost done with chapter
Endish game spoilers below I guess.

Should I return to GP and start to farm stuff now, or beat the game once, and then return? In my CE Guide it says that there is a great area for farming in chapter 13, but you can only get there once, but there is a trophy for beating the final boss with 5 stars... that bit is confusing me :lol

Also, what happens if you get multiple "Ultimate" weapons on a single character? Starting from different base weapons I mean, aka Axis Blade and Organyx? Right now my main three characters are using maxed out T2 weapons, but it would be nice to have multiple options for each character.

jiggle

ryan13ts said:
The weapons I have for him currently are the Power Circle, Paladin, and Wild Bear, all of them are Level 1. The Paladin sounds like the best choice since it's the only one that has an added ability to it (Improved Guarding), but is it really worth the EXP needed to upgrade it at this point.... and do I need to be in the Sentienal paradigm for Improved Guarding to work? Or should I just save my components altogether and wait for a better weapon to come down the line?

Weapon special effects are always active.
IMO Paladin is his best weapon. But at this point in the game, you'd get more mileage out of upgrading Vanille or Hope's weapon.

rhfb said:
So I'm almost done with chapter
Endish game spoilers below I guess.

Should I return to GP and start to farm stuff now, or beat the game once, and then return? In my CE Guide it says that there is a great area for farming in chapter 13, but you can only get there once, but there is a trophy for beating the final boss with 5 stars... that bit is confusing me :lol

Also, what happens if you get multiple "Ultimate" weapons on a single character? Starting from different base weapons I mean, aka Axis Blade and Organyx? Right now my main three characters are using maxed out T2 weapons, but it would be nice to have multiple options for each character.

Wladislaus, and Jabawok+Bandersnatch will each give you close to 70k CP per fight
so this is a great place to completely max out all 6 jobs to lv4 AND get 999,999 points in reserve before finishing the game
you can't fight these again after you beat the final boss

Also a good place to kill Sacrifice to farm perfume, which sells for 12,000gils each. Once you beat the boss, there are less of these you can fight, slowing down the farming.

It's not necessary to farm here though. Farming in gran pulse is just as good, once you beat the game. Not only will you get 1 extra stage of crystarium to upgrade, but you could also work on final weapons at the same time.

You can get a trophy by 5starring final boss.

Multiple final weapons = a bunch of weapons with the same name but different stats.

neoism

Meier said:
I swear, the rarity of the traps is just absurd. There is absolutely no reason they should have made it this bad.
Its not that bad..... sucks it took so long before you could kill them without TP. But, I think it's addicting, I've played 20 hours in the last 3 days doing nothing but farming Plat Ing's which shouldn't be as bad as they are... I've killed at least 100 turtles and only gotten 3 trap, and 20 plats. What is it as 25% drop for commons... It's a good thing this game has the funnest RPG battle system I've ever played... but I'm used to item farming from Ragnarok Online! Cards are .01 in that game!:lol :lol :lol :lol 125 hours and counting I love this game sooo much!

neoism

B.K. said:
It's not like his music for the game was very good either.
woow really I'm looving the soundtrack to death, probably my seconf favorite to date.... But I haven't listed the 7,8,9, or 10s in a long time. 12's my favorite, but I did listen to beside island from X a few weeks ago, and remembered who the real master is...

At what point does the story actually get interesting? I've had this game for awhile now but I find it hard to play for more than an hour or two because nothing seems to happen or be explained. That and I keep getting side tracked by all the new releases. I always find it hard to get over that initial hump when it comes to JRPG's because it takes so long for the story to actually develop and go somewhere. I think I'm only about 18 hours in, but it feels like nothing has really grabbed me story wise to keep me playing.

Rpgmonkey

GillianSeed79 said:
At what point does the story actually get interesting? I've had this game for awhile now but I find it hard to play for more than an hour or two because nothing seems to happen or be explained. That and I keep getting side tracked by all the new releases. I always find it hard to get over that initial hump when it comes to JRPG's because it takes so long for the story to actually develop and go somewhere. I think I'm only about 18 hours in, but it feels like nothing has really grabbed me story wise to keep me playing.

Stuff actually starts happening about ~18-20 hours in (assuming you're at or close to Chapter 8 or 9), so if it still hasn't gotten your attention, it probably never will.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
darkwings said:
how is leona lewis good?

fix'd

Background music at least seemed easy to hear compared to her song.

Styles

darkwings said:
how is crappy background music and leona lewis good?

So everything about FFXIII is mediocre to bad(not terrible)... even the music by gaf standards. Hopefully it'll be one of the nominees for 'most disappointing game of the year'!:lol
I joke, for the most part. Best soundtrack ever!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd honestly say she's good but the song doesn't match FFXIII.

Hows waking up in the morning and putting on make up related to *VERY MAJOR SPOILER*
Lightning and group decrystalizing and seeing the brand new Cocoon who was saved by Vanille and Fang?

Styles

I agree that they should have left the Japanese theme song in, it really fit the scene instrumental wise, at the beginning anyway, (spoiler)
after Vanille and Fang did their 'thing and the theme song kicks in.

ULTROS!

I like the feel of Kimi Ga Iru Kara. It feels more... Final Fantasy? :p

I wonder if the Chinese version is using Kimi Ga Iru Kara...

darkwings

Banned
Vect said:
So everything about FFXIII is mediocre to bad(not terrible)... even the music by gaf standards. Hopefully it'll be one of the nominees for 'most disappointing game of the year'!:lol
I joke, for the most part. Best soundtrack ever!

well FFXII annihilates this soundtrack.

ULTROS!

The final boss theme sounds cool though.

Also the battle theme "Blinded by Light".

ULTROS! said:
I'd honestly say she's good but the song doesn't match FFXIII.

Hows waking up in the morning and putting on make up related to *VERY MAJOR SPOILER*
Lightning and group decrystalizing and seeing the brand new Cocoon who was saved by Vanille and Fang?

Yeah, the fucking Folger's coffee jingle would've been more fitting than that.

THE BEST PART OF WAKING UP..

After hearing so much good and bad about this game, finally gave it a shot last night.

About 2 hours in. I know they slowly dole shit out to you, but when will the battle system become something more than mashing x and selecting a potion now and again?

Nice graphics....

Whoompthereitis said:
About 2 hours in. I know they slowly dole shit out to you, but when will the battle system become something more than mashing x and selecting a potion now and again?

Start of chapter 3.

And where is the best place to grind on Pulse? I just want to try and max the Crystarium for everyones 3 main roles before I tackle chapter 13/the final boss.

With a little bit of distance I can say:

- Best battle system in any "modern" JRPG
- Amazing presentation.
Oerba
and outside of Taejin Tower are a site to behold.

- Everything else: Crap

And Leona Lewis represents everything that is wrong with the series IMO.

Considering how important the battle system is for any RPG, it is still a good game in my book though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom