• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Is that picture with a big bright blue tank on Pulse fake? I was kinda hoping to fight that thing :lol

5 Dark Matters away from Platinum (unless I've missed some accessory). Drop rate is bullshit :( I don't have to actually equip every weapon & accessory for the trophy, right? I'd be pretty screwed if that's how it works...

flyover said:
Seriously. I'm having way more fun with the game, now that I'm only playing the non-essential parts of it. I always like the optional stuff, but this is the first Final Fantasy where I've enjoyed that content more than the main game itself.

After the plot progression in chapters 9 and 10 I decided to skip the Pulse sidecontent in chapter 11 to get on with the plot, but then nothing much happens in chapter 11 or 12...

I'm just glad I can go back and take a brake from the straight lines of constant battles and annoying bosses.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
part of the reason I liked Gran Pulse so much as an environment is because of how interconnected everything felt.

the beginning of the game, or rather, the middle of the game, felt like such a smattering of random locations the art team felt like designing, whereas Pulse felt like a world.

Zzoram

jiggle said:
YES!
Most of the stagger lock weapons come with a hidden trait of "Random:Instant Chain" if paired with the right accessories (energy sash, speed sash, hunter's friend, survivalist catalog)
this will completely fill up your chain meter randomly(but not stagger it)

and some of these weapons also have the highest stats for that character

if you keep only 1 out of 3 characters using it, it shouldn't affect the battle negatively

Sazh (Rigel) and Fang (Taming pole) are two great candidates for this type of weapons

Wait, so stagger lock just means the wielder of the weapon doesn't stagger, but other party members can still trigger a stagger?

I think you don't even need a stagger lock weapon to get instant chain modifier, I think Lightning can get it even when using Axis Blade (ATB recover).

jjasper

jjasper said:
Man I haven't had any problem with the game till just now. Just got my ass handed to me by
Cid
like 8 times in a row before I turned it off.

25 times in a row I have died. I died 1 time the whole game before this fight. WTF I don't get it, I am clearly missing something.

jjasper said:
25 times in a row I have died. I died 1 time the whole game before this fight. WTF I don't get it, I am clearly missing something.
Anything specific giving you trouble in the fight? What party are you using?

jjasper

Green Mamba said:
Anything specific giving you trouble in the fight? What party are you using?

Not really I just keep getting caught with low health and getting sucked into one of his combos that go on forever after the metamorphosis.

jiggle

what about sentinel+med on permanent standby?
pretty hard to kill with that
just use 1 character to deal damage
might take forever to kill but at least u'll win?

jjasper said:

Ouch! I think I definitely used a sentinel in this one and had one person do physical attacks and another do the magical ones since he alternates with what type of damage he can accept.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Use debuffs.
Buff yourself.
Use SEN/MED-combo when shit's going bad.

jjasper

jiggle said:
what about sentinel+med on permanent standby?
pretty hard to kill with that
just use 1 character to deal damage
might take forever to kill but at least u'll win?

:lol Yeah I suppose I could do that.
Yoshichan said:
Use debuffs.
Buff yourself.
Use SEN/MED-combo when shit's going bad.

Usually use Hope/Fang to buff/debuff. I guess it has just been me not paying attention and being lower on health than I thought and not getting the MED/SEN/MED up in time (or any other SEN/MED combo).

For the Cid battle I started off with Light,Vanilie, and Hope. They were on com, rav, and rav, I switched to sab and synth and after I was done with those I switched to rav rav com and after one turn of com I switched to rav rav rav, which staggers the enemy quickly. It then turned and basically the same plan but vanile was mostly a healer and I didn't have as much time to bother with buffs and debuffs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rahx, spoiler tags.

Rahxephon91 said:
For the
Cid
battle I started off with Light,Vanilie, and Hope. They were on com, rav, and rav, I switched to sab and synth and after I was done with those I switched to rav rav com and after one turn of com I switched to rav rav rav, which staggers the enemy quickly. It then turned and basically the same plan but vanile was mostly a healer and I didn't have as much time to bother with buffs and debuffs.
Fixed

Choopy

Neo Member
firehawk12 said:
If you already have the ultimate weapons, then you should be fine as long as you farm the Dark Matter. The biggest expense after that are the 6 Adamantites you need (200k each).

Ah, thanks. Can't farm the Adamantites I'm guessing?
And how many Dark Matters do I need exactly? 5? 6?

I hope it's 5... Nothing is dropping :(

Threi

notag
Cid
was hard? I beat him on my first (or second) try :lol

Sazh man, Sazh.

My party is usually Sazh(Leader)/Lightining/Fang (Sazh as leader because he stays out of trouble and won't get his ass killed)

Start the match off with Syn/Med/Sab for buffing (HASTE!)

Rav/Rav/Com for regular attacking (Rav/Med/Com to play it safe)

Syn/Med/Sen for when he feels like attacking the hell out of you or when he does Gill's super art and debuffs you.

and Com/Com/Com for when he's staggered for massive damage.

Haste so far has been by far the most useful buff.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
darkwings said:
judging from that small footage, didnt the battle system seemed deeper? It had more menu options it seems.

Actually it seemed too confusing for me. I'm glad it was simplified. :lol

But I'm sad that the battle graphics didn't look like that in the final game, it looked so cool. ;_;

Lightning

Banned
Threi said:
Cid
was hard? I beat him on my first (or second) try :lol

Sazh man, Sazh.

My party is usually Sazh(Leader)/Lightining/Fang (Sazh as leader because he stays out of trouble and won't get his ass killed)

Start the match off with Syn/Med/Sab for buffing (HASTE!)

Rav/Rav/Com for regular attacking (Rav/Med/Com to play it safe)

Syn/Med/Sen for when he feels like attacking the hell out of you or when he does Gill's super art and debuffs you.

and Com/Com/Com for when he's staggered for massive damage.

Haste so far has been by far the most useful buff.
Haste is the most useful buff but Sazh for the most part just sucks. His crappy stats and slow attacking sequences really hold him back.

His blitz move rocks though, especially against Adamantotises.

Arjen

Any tips on beating mission 54?
giant cactus thing
Sentinels don't work at all, can't even heal fast enough with two medics.
Have around 15k hp for ligh/fang/hope with tier 2 weapons.
Tried tow use shrouds to, but the fucker destroys me all the time.
I must be missing something, cause it's a B mark and i kill most A marks easy..

Arjen said:
giant cactus thing

Camp it up like I did. Just equip the correct weapons/accessories for Random: Instant Stagger and keep going at it. I got the stagger on the 2nd round of attacks and just COM/COM/RAV'ed him to death. Five-star as well so I don't have to go through that bullshit again.

BeeDog

Arjen said:
giant cactus thing

As ichinisan said, an Instant Stagger setup is pretty much essential. Use Lightning/Fang/Snow (or anyone else with good Magic and Strength), drop two shrouds, immediately start attacking with RAV/RAV/RAV, hope that you stagger him fast, then start attacking him with COM/COM/COM. If you're lucky, the fight will fly by extremely fast.

Arjen

Ugh, so it's another one of those impossible to beat unles you get a lucky stagger/ Death.
What a load of horsecrap.
Thnx for the advice though.

Pooya

OST Plus official site
You can listen to some samples and there is a message from Hamauzu.

andriasang

Andriasang said:
As previously detailed, this second Final Fantasy XIII soundtrack includes music that was added for the overseas version of FFXIII. Additionally, the soundtrack includes prototype music that cannot be heard elsewhere.

* 1. PV Final Fantasy XIII 2007 JFS
* 2. PV Final Fantasy XIII 2006 E3
* 3. M1 No.2 title αVersion
* 4. M3 No.4 BossA αVersion
* 5. M306 OPN2 Unmei he no Hanmei Paramekia Totsunyuu Version
* 6. Hope_PfNer3
* 7. M42E Sunleth Waterscape Overseas Version
* 8. M36A Gapra Whitewood Instrumental
* 9. M74_2 PRO Shukumei e no Aragai No Chorus Version
* 10. M64E Cocoon de Chocobo English Version
* 11. M33 Lightning NW Version
* 12. M181 Shugeki2 Prototype
* 13. M44B Sazh B+ Prototype
* 14. M106 Last Battle Prototype+
* 15. M5_2 Senkou Long Version
* 16. M42 Sunleth Waterscape Instrumental

desverger

Arjen said:
giant cactus thing

Instant chain on all chars. Took me only a few tries.

Also, the thing you want to know is that his attack does exactly 10000 damage, and is NOT affected by buffs, debuffs, guard, sentinels or anything else. So you'll want at least one char with 20k+ hp, who you'll be controlling. Of course the other chars in your party should have at least 10k hp :p

Well, I finally made it to Gran Pulse last weekend, but I haven't done much playing at all this past week. I've done a few missions, but really, I've pretty much lost all desire to finish this game.

I think part of it is Chapter 10 totally burning me out, but the dull story and lifeless world aren't helping either.

On a related note, you really don't appreciate NPCs in video games until they're gone, as is the case in FF13. This game has been streamlined to the point of absurdity.

Lince

Banned
Arjen said:
Ugh, so it's another one of those impossible to beat unles you get a lucky stagger/ Death.
What a load of horsecrap.
Thnx for the advice though.

I beat it the non-cheap way and still got 5 stars by casting Daze on it (SAB/MED/MED), then RAV/RAV/RAV and COM/COM/COM, no need to get lucky.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Just beat the game. Used pretty much Lightning/Hope/Vanille the whole game

Medic/Medic/Medic saved my arse so many times.

Also, this is another game that is almost unplayable on a SDTV due to horrible & unreadable text.

Epix

Help:

I'm at Orphan just after the part where you get ported to jabbawonky dude, kill him, and come back. There seems to be three ways to go: Up the middle which is guarded by a big ass dude who summons a blade that one-shots you for 10k on each person, to the left which is guarded by two hover bikes that you can sneak past but also a caped dude + big ass dude you can't sneak past that kick your ass, and to the right with a sea of walking fish and Cie'th mobs that come in packs of 14 and overwhelm you. I've tried each way several times and I'm quickly dispatched to the point I think I'm doing something wrong. I've managed every other boss along the story so far with at most maybe 3 attempts but I've died to these fuckers 10+ times now not even getting close to success.

desverger

Oh maaan. Killed a Long Gui!

I'm pretty much done with the game. 890/1000, but I had my fun :lol

Would you think I was crazy if I said the post-game was way more fun than the story portion of the main game? With post-game, I also include the missions. It seemed like there was more challenge to the missions, at least a few specific ones, than the any of the story fights could muster.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
firehawk12 said:
English lyrics for the Chocobo song. :lol

I'm surprised they couldn't get the rights to that Leona Lewis song though.

Good thing they didn't. Don't need that song tainting Masashi Hamauzu's work.

Epix said:
Help:

I'm at Orphan just after the part where you get ported to jabbawonky dude, kill him, and come back. There seems to be three ways to go: Up the middle which is guarded by a big ass dude who summons a blade that one-shots you for 10k on each person, to the left which is guarded by two hover bikes that you can sneak past but also a caped dude + big ass dude you can't sneak past that kick your ass, and to the right with a sea of walking fish and Cie'th mobs that come in packs of 14 and overwhelm you. I've tried each way several times and I'm quickly dispatched to the point I think I'm doing something wrong. I've managed every other boss along the story so far with at most maybe 3 attempts but I've died to these fuckers 10+ times now not even getting close to success.

Worst part of the game right there. I gave up/got lucky and had some of the Deception shrouds left. Went to the right where I was able to miss the first sea of
fish/Cie'th
and then was able to make it to the back of the 'ring' where you are forced to fight
Cie'th & one of those tank things
but if you move quick you'll still have your deception shroud up and can start off with the
tank
staggered.

Like you, I'd had litttle to no trouble with bosses or encounters up till this point. If I died on a fight, I was usually able to change up my strategy and after a few trys get past whatever killed me. Here though, I spent about 45 minutes before deciding that I cared more about just finishing the damn thing than fighting each fight. Unfortunately, even if you get past this section there is one more fight coming up that you cannot avoid that drove me mad. Harder than the final boss. (again hope you have a deception shroud cause while it wasn't instant win with it, it did give me the edge to eventually whittle down these other mobs over a long 15-20 minute battle.)

The good news is your ALMOST done!

j-wood

When using a weapon with instant chain ability, is that only affective from the commando role? Or does it work as a ravenger too?

Pooya

Looks like I need to start a Hamauzu Defence force. about 14 ost, outside of those vocal tracks everything else was mediocre to garbage.

B.K.

I don't know if anyone cares, but Square Enix is releasing a special bundle for the game when they release XIII in China. They're bundling the game with a special edition Lightning Dual Shock 3 controller.

20kamc4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom