• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the expected price for it on PSN? I am thinking of buying it digitally if it is reasonable enough. I guess getting it on retail is useless, and i can't really get Region 1 copy of it easily(have to import).

Sophia

What is the expected price for it on PSN? I am thinking of buying it digitally if it is reasonable enough. I guess getting it on retail is useless, and i can't really get Region 1 copies of it easily.

Expected price is $39.99, however look around. If you have access to a PS3, and don't mind the additional steps of installing on the PS3 then doing the PS3 to PS4 transfer, then you can probably get the retail release much cheaper.

ARCHER CLASS……...

BEST

CLASS

EVER!!!!

Read my impressions of the class below, to see why I believe that.

After trying the archer class for the first time during beta, every other class seems so boring in comparison when it comes to single player combat. Got dayum that class is awesome. That class has a unique way of combat from the other classes.

I went with a PUG/MNK on the PS3 as I was going to roll as a magick class at first, when I first got the game and decided against it. The magick classes combat is SOOOO incredibly boring. Having to stand still and wait for the casting times is not up my alley. I dont care for the old school JRPG, wait your turn, battle system no more like I used to in my younger days.

So I went with a PUG, that was a fun class, punching dudes in the face while being able to move around while attacking. But around level 30 or so, the game started getting tough, and it was taking a longer time to level up, and the combat was drying out for me. Was starting to get bored of it. Moving around with a melee class was completely useless as even if your at their back, if they are targeting you, your still getting hit. So they was no way for me to physically dodge their attacks. So I was moving around trying to make the battle seem more interesting, but it was for show only and it gave you no strategic advantage what so ever. So just standing still and attacking like the magick classes started to make it really boring for me, even as a melee class, so I stopped playing for a while.

And then the beta roles around and I decided to try other classes I havent tried before. Tried them all, still wasnt that impressed. ALL magick classes play the same, with those damn casting times and not being able to move while casting, and the melee classes pretty much all played the same, great combat and more fun than magick classes though, still wasn't interested though. And then……I tried the archer last.

Man, I really saved the best for last.

That class was like WORLDS apart in its playstyle, I was like, is this even the same game!? That one class plays so different from the others. Its like in a league of its own.

That class was like the best of both worlds. You have the advantage of magick classes range, but free to move during attacks like melee classes. So that created some unique situations for the player.

This presented a unique combat style from the other classes. Melee classes get up in your face, so your taking as good as your giving them. And magick classes range advantage goes right out the door after the first attack since you cant move if you want to attack if your by yourself.

But the archer class…………. is TRUELY a ranged class. Being able to maintain your distance from the target and attack.

I was running around the battle field, while locked on to the target(set your settings to auto lock-on to enemies your attacking) and keeping my distance so the enemies couldn't even hit me, as I was WAY outside of their attack range, though I was plastering them with arrows. I got this "feint" skill from the lancer class that slows the enemys speed and that helps against fast moving targets.

But man, this class was so fun. This class single handedly got me interested in this game again. Playing that class, I now have unique combat strategies, I can now use the environment to my advantage.

Like out in the open, while the enemy was chasing me and I was attacking while dodging and moving, I was jumping up on rocks, moving behind objects, running up stairs to slow them down and jumping over balconies and fences to put a barrier between us so they cant get to me……but my arrows can get to them.

Doing ALL of that on the fly, seamlessly, while attacking all at once. The combat felt intense and very interactive.

Man, the archer class added a WHOLE new strategy to playing this games combat. Now I enter battles with the goal of trying not to take a hit at all and figuring out new ways to use the environment to advantage and seeing what skills I can use to either slow them down, or speed me up, and increase my crtitical chances.

This class gave me a whole new focus on what I want to achieve when the next time I play this game.

And the crazy thing is, I see NO other archers playing this way!! WHY!? Every other archer Ive seen, even the level 50 guys, they are just standing still…I don't get it…..do they not know they can move while attacking???

Well, I aint letting no enemy get within ten feet of me.

They aint hitting me, yo.

They cant catch me, son, im the gingerbread man.

Semper88

Now you have me worried. Haven't received one yet from Amazon UK! D:

EDIT: Yup, Amazon UK fibbed to me. Bastards.

EDIT2: Looks like I'll be able to sort it out elsewhere and trade in some stuff into the bargain. Win win!

Ah damn you lucky man!.. i'm already stalking the customerservice for my code hehe.

Semper88

Ripped this of GameFacts.

JanayBerry posted...
- If you play(ed) on the PS3 or PC, you can get the PS4 version free.
*The Phase 2 beta client will be used for the game.

- If you participated in the Phase 2 beta on PS4 but have not played on PS3, you gain access to the final product, as well as early access. You will be able to boot up the client, but will need to pay for a registration code via the Mog Station to continue after the early access period.
* You do NOT need to pre-order unless you want another copy.
* If you played on PS3, downloaded the Phase 2 beta on PS4 but did NOT play it, you gain access to the PS4 client come launch.
* Registering on Mog Station will give you premanent access.
* Participating in the Phase 2 beta means you have a valid PSN ID, a valid Square-Enix ID, and will automatically be registered in the early access period during the linking process on the client and/or Mog Station: https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/Login?cont=account&request=mogstation

Mik2121

JanayBerry posted...

- If you participated in the Phase 2 beta on PS4 but have not played on PS3, you gain access to the final product, as well as early access. You will be able to boot up the client, but will need to pay for a registration code via the Mog Station to continue after the early access period.
* If you played on PS3, downloaded the Phase 2 beta on PS4 but did NOT play it, you gain access to the PS4 client come launch.
* Participating in the Phase 2 beta means you have a valid PSN ID, a valid Square-Enix ID, and will automatically be registered in the early access period during the linking process on the client and/or Mog Station: https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/Login?cont=account&request=mogstation

Do we know how much is the registration code or if the price is different than the retail copy? If it is, I participated on Phase 2 beta so I guess I just need to purchase the registration code.. That'd mean I don't need Amazon to send me a retail copy as it will be basically meaningless (besides it having a registration code within it?).

This is kinda confusing, lol.

Blizzje

So for those of us that do NOT have the PC or PS3 version and started playing since the PS4 beta (phase 1 and phase 2), we can play during the early access weekend starting 11th and pay for a registration code via mog station afterwards?

I won't need to buy the PS3 version just to be able to participate in the early access weekend?

Semper88

Do we know how much is the registration code or if the price is different than the retail copy? If it is, I participated on Phase 2 beta so I guess I just need to purchase the registration code.. That'd mean I don't need Amazon to send me a retail copy as it will be basically meaningless (besides it having a registration code within it?).

This is kinda confusing, lol.

What i get from it is that you'll be able to play until the 14th if you played the BETA.

From the 14th on you'll be needing to buy the game or buy it from the mogstation.

so its not free in any way.

Mik2121

What i get from it is that you'll be able to play until the 14th if you played the BETA.

From the 14th on you'll be needing to buy the game or buy it from the mogstation.

so its not free in any way.

Ah yeah, yeah... I know it's not free. I was just wondering how much the game would cost on the mogstation, and how it'd work. Also, what would the retail copy have that other copies don't?

So let me get this clear just in case...

I played the PS4 Phase 2 Beta. That means right now I have the final data (with some potential patch on the 11th). I can now play the game from the 11th to the 14th without having any sort of code nor anything.

Now, to continue playing the game after that, I need a registration code thing that I can either purchase from the mogstation (apparently) or buy somewhere else (in Amazon it's 2,772 Yen, or about $27). If I buy it from there, the price will be the same as retail?

Also another question... if I have an account on my PS4, can I play with that account on Windows? If I were to do that, would I be able to download the Windows client "for free" and play with my PS4 account, or they work separated even if both users can play on the same server..?

jiggle

Also another question... if I have an account on my PS4, can I play with that account on Windows? If I were to do that, would I be able to download the Windows client "for free" and play with my PS4 account, or they work separated even if both users can play on the same server..?
All versions (pc/ps3/ps4) of this game can be played with the same account and same character
however you will need to purchase their individual licenses(the registration codes)
You can actually download the pc client from SE now
But it's useless without the pc license
Same as if you buy the ps4 version

The free month from each version stacks
So you can save a little money there...

Now, to continue playing the game after that, I need a registration code thing that I can either purchase from the mogstation (apparently) or buy somewhere else (in Amazon it's 2,772 Yen, or about $27). If I buy it from there, the price will be the same as retail?
there's also the option of buying ps3 version for cheap and get the free ps4 upgrade(ps3 license is transferred to ps4)

plake

One thing that confuses me..
If you preorder from Amazon and get your code, that means Amazon already charged you before the game got released? If not, what could stop you from canceling the preorder and just playing the game without actually paying for the disc?

Well, the law. It's fraud.

I was literally about to buy a physical copy but now I'm not so sure.

I, too, took part in the phase 1 +2 betas. I tried playing yesterday but there was some maintenance work happening (I took that to mean the beta phase was over)

How do I get early access?

Mik2121

All versions (pc/ps3/ps4) of this game can be played with the same account and same character
however you will need to purchase their individual licenses(the registration codes)
You can actually download the pc client from SE now
But it's useless without the pc license
Same as if you buy the ps4 version

The free month from each version stacks
So you can save a little money there...

there's also the option of buying ps3 version for cheap and get the free ps4 upgrade(ps3 license is transferred to ps4)
Gotcha, thanks!

Got another question. I have a friend playing on the Carbuncle world (JP data center). When I tried to join him on the 2nd beta, I got a message saying I couldn't join it. Will I be able to join on the actual game, or will I still be locked out of it? That'd suck...

jiggle

Gotcha, thanks!

Got another question. I have a friend playing on the Carbuncle world (JP data center). When I tried to join him on the 2nd beta, I got a message saying I couldn't join it. Will I be able to join on the actual game, or will I still be locked out of it? That'd suck...
They will temporarily close down registrations of popular servers experiencing heavy traffics
So just keep trying

Vashetti

Banned
So I'm based in the UK, and will be doing the PS3 > PS4 free upgrade.

If I pre-ordered a physical copy of the PS4 version from Amazon UK right now, would I get an early access code, and then could I cancel immediately after?

I know it's a bit shady, but that last Beta phase for PS4 was way too short.

DrDamn

So I'm based in the UK, and will be doing the PS3 > PS4 free upgrade.

If I pre-ordered a physical copy of the PS4 version from Amazon UK right now, would I get an early access code, and then could I cancel immediately after?

I know it's a bit shady, but that last Beta phase for PS4 was way too short.

If you are doing the PS3->PS4 route then the switch will be available from 11th April so you get early access anyway.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/sp/ps4/ps3_users/

Orcastar

JanayBerry posted...

Wait, what? I played on PC for a month last year and participated in both the PS4 betas. Are you saying that I can now play on PS4 without buying another copy of the game if I just add a subscription to my account?

JanayBerry posted...

Wait, even though I get the game on PS3 after having participated in the PS4 beta(to upgrade becuz ps3 copy is cheaper), do I still need to pay for a registration code?

Sophia

Wait, what? I played on PC for a month last year and participated in both the PS4 betas. Are you saying that I can now play on PS4 without buying another copy of the game if I just add a subscription to my account?

No. He is saying you will have access to Early Access if you played in phase 2, regardless if you pre-ordered the PS4 version or not. If you want to continue playing after early access, you will need a PS4 copy. I do not know the accuracy of his comments or source however.

Wait, even though I get the game on PS3 after having participated in the PS4 beta(to upgrade becuz ps3 copy is cheaper), do I still need to pay for a registration code?

If you own a PS3 copy of the game, you will be able to do the free upgrade from the MogStation on April 11th and thus will have access to Early Access. You do not need another registration code.

plake

Probably not no. Makes no sense. Also GameFacts or whatever that source was called isn't saying what SE has said so far, so take it with a busload of salt.

If you own a PS3 copy of the game, you will be able to do the free upgrade from the MogStation on April 11th and thus will have access to Early Access. You do not need another registration code.

So it doesn't matter if I already participated in the PS4 beta first? Also what's the Mogstation? I'm hearing that the phase 2 client is the final version of the game and I could just login after playing it atleast once on PS3.

Sophia

So it doesn't matter if I already participated in the PS4 beta first? Also what's the Mogstation? I'm hearing that the phase 2 client is the final version of the game and I could just login after playing it atleast once on PS3.

The MogStation is where all FFXIV account related stuff is handled. It is also where the PS3 to PS4 upgrade will be handled, apparently.

If you own the PS3 version and have registered and linked your SE and PSN accounts, then the client used in Phase 2 will be usable for early access and retail. On April 11th you will be able to do the PS3 to PS4 upgrade process for free and continue playing. All PS3 owners who upgrade get early access, regardless if they participated in the phase 2 beta or not.

Raoh

Are there any PS3 FFXIV sales coming up or out now?

Figured I would go on the cheap, upgrade to the PS4 for free and re-activate a cheap PS3 copy.

It would be nice if I could just buy a license from SE for cheap since I already own the disc.

plake

Figured I would go on the cheap, upgrade to the PS4 for free and re-activate a cheap PS3 copy.

It would be nice if I could just buy a license from SE for cheap since I already own the disc.

Hard to say as we don't know where you're situated. I got mine super cheap from a Swedish retailer for 120 SEK (about 13 EUR). I read somewhere Game in the UK was selling it for 8 GBP.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm usually bummed when the wifey has to work all weekend but I think I know how I'm going to keep busy this weekend 😁

Also - strangely enough - hoping for the weather forecast to stay rainy... need dat SCH build.

molnizzle

It's $20 on newegg right now.

Zaptruder

Banned
ARCHER CLASS……...

BEST

CLASS

EVER!!!!

Read my impressions of the class below, to see why I believe that.

After trying the archer class for the first time during beta, every other class seems so boring in comparison when it comes to single player combat. Got dayum that class is awesome. That class has a unique way of combat from the other classes.

I went with a PUG/MNK on the PS3 as I was going to roll as a magick class at first, when I first got the game and decided against it. The magick classes combat is SOOOO incredibly boring. Having to stand still and wait for the casting times is not up my alley. I dont care for the old school JRPG, wait your turn, battle system no more like I used to in my younger days.

So I went with a PUG, that was a fun class, punching dudes in the face while being able to move around while attacking. But around level 30 or so, the game started getting tough, and it was taking a longer time to level up, and the combat was drying out for me. Was starting to get bored of it. Moving around with a melee class was completely useless as even if your at their back, if they are targeting you, your still getting hit. So they was no way for me to physically dodge their attacks. So I was moving around trying to make the battle seem more interesting, but it was for show only and it gave you no strategic advantage what so ever. So just standing still and attacking like the magick classes started to make it really boring for me, even as a melee class, so I stopped playing for a while.

And then the beta roles around and I decided to try other classes I havent tried before. Tried them all, still wasnt that impressed. ALL magick classes play the same, with those damn casting times and not being able to move while casting, and the melee classes pretty much all played the same, great combat and more fun than magick classes though, still wasn't interested though. And then……I tried the archer last.

Man, I really saved the best for last.

That class was like WORLDS apart in its playstyle, I was like, is this even the same game!? That one class plays so different from the others. Its like in a league of its own.

That class was like the best of both worlds. You have the advantage of magick classes range, but free to move during attacks like melee classes. So that created some unique situations for the player.

This presented a unique combat style from the other classes. Melee classes get up in your face, so your taking as good as your giving them. And magick classes range advantage goes right out the door after the first attack since you cant move if you want to attack if your by yourself.

But the archer class…………. is TRUELY a ranged class. Being able to maintain your distance from the target and attack.

I was running around the battle field, while locked on to the target(set your settings to auto lock-on to enemies your attacking) and keeping my distance so the enemies couldn't even hit me, as I was WAY outside of their attack range, though I was plastering them with arrows. I got this "feint" skill from the lancer class that slows the enemys speed and that helps against fast moving targets.

But man, this class was so fun. This class single handedly got me interested in this game again. Playing that class, I now have unique combat strategies, I can now use the environment to my advantage.

Like out in the open, while the enemy was chasing me and I was attacking while dodging and moving, I was jumping up on rocks, moving behind objects, running up stairs to slow them down and jumping over balconies and fences to put a barrier between us so they cant get to me……but my arrows can get to them.

Doing ALL of that on the fly, seamlessly, while attacking all at once. The combat felt intense and very interactive.

Man, the archer class added a WHOLE new strategy to playing this games combat. Now I enter battles with the goal of trying not to take a hit at all and figuring out new ways to use the environment to advantage and seeing what skills I can use to either slow them down, or speed me up, and increase my crtitical chances.

This class gave me a whole new focus on what I want to achieve when the next time I play this game.

And the crazy thing is, I see NO other archers playing this way!! WHY!? Every other archer Ive seen, even the level 50 guys, they are just standing still…I don't get it…..do they not know they can move while attacking???

Well, I aint letting no enemy get within ten feet of me.

They aint hitting me, yo.

They cant catch me, son, im the gingerbread man.

This is a cute post.

But there are good reasons to not run around with your head cut off; and they mainly involve playing in groups and not dragging mobs around everywhere.

Hope I'm not derailing by asking this, but I want to re-sub. I've seen under the 180 Days($77) section that instead of the actual 180 Days you get 365(?) Days instead? Was I reading right? If so, I'll re-sub right away!

IMBored

I didn't know that a PC 30 days sub would stack with a PS3 one. Does any one knows where to buy a cheap digital PC version? Has to be EU version tough.

Number45

I didn't know that a PC 30 days sub would stack with a PS3 one. Does any one knows where to buy a cheap digital PC version? Has to be EU version tough.
All of the subscriptions are identical, so if you buy one it's valid for every platform that you have the game registered on. :)

I picked it up for less than £10 on Steam, but I'm not sure if that was on offer or a permanent price.

It's funny that you tought that, because all classes are mostly the same in that regard because of the Global Cooldown.
MNK and BRD are push button > wait for GCD > push button.
Mages are push button and wait for GCD while casting > push button

Moving around with a melee class was completely useless as even if your at their back, if they are targeting you, your still getting hit. So they was no way for me to physically dodge their attacks. So I was moving around trying to make the battle seem more interesting, but it was for show only and it gave you no strategic advantage what so ever. So just standing still and attacking like the magick classes started to make it really boring for me, even as a melee class, so I stopped playing for a while.
That is only true in the solo content (which is quick and easy). In the dungeons you'll have to play the job at its fullest to be able to deal high damage and you'll be at the enemies's backs 100% of the time. If not, either the tank is not doing his job or you are attacking the wrong target.
In fact, when you get to higher levels on a Bard, you'll stand still most of the time, while a Monk has to move much more in order to alternate between flank/back.

Also, to avoid any confusion, remember that Pugilist is PGL.
PUG means pick-up group, and a lot of new players think everyone hates pugilists because we always complain about pugs :p

Interfectum

I really enjoyed my time with this game over the weekend. Where is everyone purchasing the PS4 version from? Is the special edition worth it?

D23

The withdrawals r getting stronger. Can't stop thinking about this game... Just want to play my arcanist dammit!!!

So I don't need to buy anything to get the early access come Friday if I participated in phase 2 of the beta... Right//?

Semper88

The withdrawals r getting stronger. Can't stop thinking about this game... Just want to play my arcanist dammit!!!

So I don't need to buy anything to get the early access come Friday if I participated in phase 2 of the beta... Right//?

Same here! i want to tank some more dungeons with my huge lumber Axe hehe.

about the phase2 beta acces, yeah it seems that way :)

DrDamn

It was just in the general PS3 section. Could be they've sold out as others prepare for launch. It's £8 on their website too.

DrDamn

How much to you save if you go the upgrade route?

edit: I've just searched for it on the store and it's not there.

A PS3 version + Upgrade costs £8 and comes with 30 days sub to start you off. Once installed and up and running it's exactly the same as the regular PS4 version bought any other way. So you save nearly £20 (PS4 version is £27 on the Game website). It just comes with an extra bit of hassle of installing the PS3 version first (as far as I understand it).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A PS3 version + Upgrade costs £8 and comes with 30 days sub to start you off. Once installed and up and running it's exactly the same as the regular PS4 version bought any other way. So you save nearly £20 (PS4 version is £27 on the Game website). It just comes with an extra bit of hassle of installing the PS3 version first (as far as I understand it).

Yes but I've just looked at the prices and they appear to be the same on both platforms. I'm not very online savvy so am I missing something?

Could you give me a link to the website you are getting these prices from please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom