• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
I still don't like the way those abilities look. Without having played the game at this point, it looks like to be the "ultimate tank" you'd need to level Pugilist to 42, Gladiator and Marauder to 50 (with shield at 50), and both Archer and Lancer to 36.

Unless Sacrifice is really good, it looks like you can get away with only leveling Conjurer to get a solid healer.

Dont forget, there are also traits to learn, and you have a limited number of points to use for assigning skills. Just because you can learn all that, doesnt mean it'll fit when you want it to.

Haint

DrDogg said:
I still don't like the way those abilities look. Without having played the game at this point, it looks like to be the "ultimate tank" you'd need to level Pugilist to 42, Gladiator and Marauder to 50 (with shield at 50), and both Archer and Lancer to 36.

Unless Sacrifice is really good, it looks like you can get away with only leveling Conjurer to get a solid healer.

Not only that, it is going to be a total bear managing that many abilities in the heat of battle--even more so for the multi-foe encounters they keep pushing.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Reallink said:
Not only that, it is going to be a total bear managing that many abilities in the heat of battle--even more so for the multi-foe encounters they keep pushing.

Not really. Most of those are just rank ups and the total is about the same (or even less) than what you see in WoW or LotRO or most other MMO's. Stuff gets doled out slowly as you level, by the time you hit level cap you're comfortable with everything.

Khrno

Kandinsky said:
I expect a lot of these skills to be class exclusive on retail.

The Weaponskills seem like the best choices, but there are enough that aren't and will most likely be for all in the discipline, or more.

Jinko said:
something bad is guna happen I can sense it.

Don't jinx yourself, or some drunktard could crash against an electricity post and leave all your zone without any power until tomorrow.

DrDogg

Salaadin said:
I dont know. I wouldnt say I like it but Im not opposed to it either.
In XI, I remember having to level a job and then its subjob which was only good until a certain level until you needed a different subjob. If you ever changed jobs, you had to get its subs all up to speed as well. I used to decide on a job that I wanted to level and then level the subjobs first just so I didnt have to worry about it.

in XIV, you have your main job and then everything else is pretty much subjob that you can carry abilities over so they all help eachother out in some way. I think its a better system than XI for sure imo

Um... not really. I guess it depends on what FFXI jobs you're referring to. If you wanted to be a good NIN tank (lol) you only needed WAR to 37 and then DRK to 37 for certain endgame tanking. Since NIN was an advanced job anyway, you could take WAR to 30 to unlock NIN and then you only needed another 7 levels on WAR.

PLD only needed WAR and maybe NIN subs, WHM only really needed BLM sub. If you wanted to get technical you could get SCH and maybe SMN or RDM, but /BLM was more than enough for most situations (especially normal xp parties).

Then you have many jobs that only needed one sub for most xp parties and didn't really need a second unless you were in solid endgame linkshells.

In FFXIV I'm pretty much forced to level 3-5 jobs just to get a quality tank, instead of just leveling PLD and WAR. Not only that, but it looks like I have to level most of those 3-5 jobs to relatively high levels instead of being able to keep WAR at 37.

To me, it looks like a lot more work to get what is pretty much the exact same thing, not a deeper customization. The elitist are going to have a field day with this one. And while I'm not a full elitist, I want to be the best I can at whatever job so I'm going to level whatever is necessary... which is significantly more in 14 than it was in 11.

Jinko

It's all situational anyway, if you are in a well balanced group you can probably get away with sticking to your own skill tree for the most part.

It's only in situations with 2-3 or solo that you may need to mix and match for better mitagation and survivability.

I sure hope the macro's are working properly this time, will make changing jobs a world easier.

DrDogg I think you are reading too much into it, as others have said you are restricted to only a handful of abilities anyway, think like the blue mage grid in FF11.

Shouta

DrDogg said:
To me, it looks like a lot more work to get what is pretty much the exact same thing, not a deeper customization. The elitist are going to have a field day with this one. And while I'm not a full elitist, I want to be the best I can at whatever job so I'm going to level whatever is necessary... which is significantly more in 14 than it was in 11.

The ability to actually pick the skills you want to use already makes the system deeper than FFXI in customization. Subjobs in FFXI only allowed you to augment certain roles and always came with a certain set of prescribed abilities. If you picked WAR as an SJ, you still couldn't heal yourself if you didn't already have the ability too. But with the XIV system, you can simply slot an effective heal regardless of the other abilities that you equipped. The XIV system is actually what I imagined they could've done with FFXI to make it a lot better.

Khrno

DrDogg said:

Don't worry too much about it. If you start playing at launch, you'll most likely hit 50 on 4 or more classes by the time that the level cap starts to be removed in 6 or more months.

I always thought that in FFXI there wasn't a good incentive to me to level many more jobs to 75 (or past 37 that's it). Matt's Cap didn't cut it since I was DRK most of the time, and when not a BLM that didn't really have a use for it, neither did my WAR or NIN. So I just didn't want to play anymore jobs at endgame than those 4 and couldn't be bothered to level anything else.

But now I'll have the incentive of getting more abilities or traits from other jobs to make my main class better, even if I don't really plan on playing some of them after hitting cap.

I know many people might find that annoying, and they've said already how some just want to do a single class and that's it, and I'm sure the game will allow that just fine. However I'm not so sure about the community. Some random social LS won't care at all, but for an endgame LS it will be something important. I have to say, that I'm comfortable with that, since I was a proud elitist prick in FFXI.

zlatko

Banned
Gromph said:
Rar file is up.

http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/SquareEnix.rar

With all updates. You don't need patch files.

Just install FFXIV and extract SquareEnix.rar to installation folder.

I just downloaded both the installer and this file also finished.

I don't want to mess this up, so in what order should I do what, and please be very specific on where to extract this when. ^^ Thanks guys.

Edit: Looks like the installer I got from the front page of this thread doesn't work. FFXIVsetup.exe won't run. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

I went to entry.ffxiv.com or whatever to get the installer from there----no dice. They took it down off the front USA page. Anyone have the installer ? :/

C.Dark.DN

Banned
zlatko said:
I just downloaded both the installer and this file also finished.

I don't want to mess this up, so in what order should I do what, and please be very specific on where to extract this when. ^^ Thanks guys.
"Just install FFXIV[setup.exe] and extract SquareEnix.rar to installation folder[(program files)]."

Assuming that version of the rar extracts as "SquareEnix/FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version/"

zlatko

Banned
DeathNote said:
"Just install FFXIVsetup.exe and extract SquareEnix.rar to installation folder(program files)."

Got the installer to work and it made a desktop short cut.

I went to find the Square Enix folder, which leads to a FFXIV beta folder, which then leads to a client and beta folder amongst other things.

Like I said---exactly where lol. I haven't a clue where I should extract the .rar to. :(

Swag

Anyone know what this error is?

28i5jlw.jpg

DrDogg

I understand what you guys are saying, but I guess it's just my point of view. I look at it from an endgame standpoint where I know I'm going to need a high level ability from every melee class to be the tank of choice. So instead of having to level 2-3 jobs to 75, I now have to level 4-6 jobs to cap... which is even harder given the "fatigue" system. I'll see how it plays out, but on paper all I see is far more work for less pay out.

Also, is the GAF LS endgame or just social? What was it in FFXI? I know, I know... lolendgame, but I just want to know if I should be looking for another LS for potential endgame or if I'll only need the GAF LS.

Khrno

zlatko said:
Edit: Looks like the installer I got from the front page of this thread doesn't work. FFXIVsetup.exe won't run. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

I just downloaded the installer from Gromph's. I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, it runs perfectly.

Try running it as administrator.

Sebulon3k said:

No idea, but might be related to the Antivirus, turn it off while you install the patch.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
zlatko said:

I went to find the Square Enix folder, which leads to a FFXIV beta folder, which then leads to a client and beta folder amongst other things.

Like I said---exactly where lol. I haven't a clue where I should extract the .rar to. :(
the rar has the same setup.

if you extracted it to your desktop you should see folders "SquareEnix/FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version/" inside you'll see the client folder, the data folder, boot.ver, other similar stuff.

which is similar to what's in program files.

so, you're replacing files with updated ones essentially

DrDogg

zlatko said:

It's in the OP: C:\Users\*user*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch

C.Dark.DN

Banned
DrDogg said:
It's in the OP: C:\Users\*user*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch
nope, you only put patch files there. the op is inaccurate. the .rar has all the program files directory files already patched

notworksafe

Cetra

Sebulon3k said:

28i5jlw.jpg

Are you running Microsoft Security Essentials? I got the same error and disabled MS Security Essentials and the updater finished the patch just fine.

DrDogg

I guess I should double check with people in the know. If I open FFXIV and can access the Square Enix ID login screen I'm good to go until I get the code right?

DeathNote said:
nope, you only put patch files there. the op is inaccurate. the .rar has all the program files directory files already patched

Ah, sorry. Can't help you then. I did it the long and slow way. :lol

dorkimoe

19 hours for that rar of patches
:(

getting hammered i bet.

Will the installer + the 1 patch be enough, or is the rar of patches the best way?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
dorkimoe said:
19 hours for that rar of patches
:(

getting hammered i bet.

Will the installer + the 1 patch be enough, or is the rar of patches the best way?
there was two rar's on circulation.

-one that was 3.54 GB where you also needed to download patches through their torrent and a 1G patch through that website mirror

-one that is 4.4GB. no patches needed.

the second is the only one on that website http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/ now

zlatko

Banned
Okay I'm extracting the files and will post back when I either succeed or mess up. :p

I got a new PC and didn't have winrar on here...just now went to get the 64 bit version, it downloaded super fast till the last 200 kbs, then my download speed went down to like 10b/s. It's been stuck on opening in 4 minutes for about 20 minutes or more. I just gave up and went to get 32 bit in half a second download. No clue wtf is going on download wise. I can surf the net fast, etc, but winrar 64 bit exe download came to a slower crawl than the FFXIV patch downloader. :p

Edit: Ugh I knew I'd screw something up. I didn't extract directly to program files x86, so now I had to copy and paste it from where I extracted to the program files. I took the original Square Enix folder and put it in recycle bin, so now only the .rar extracted version will exist in program files. About 10 mins to go if no more hiccups occur.

vivin

I do wonder sometimes, if people actually read past the last post :lol sorry, its just happening so often in these FFXIV threads for some reason >_<;

notworksafe

Added info on how to get into Open Beta to the OP,
that post that no one reads
. Hopefully the process goes as smoothly as expected.

Khrno

vivin said:
I do wonder sometimes, if people actually read past the last post :lol sorry, its just happening so often in these FFXIV threads for some reason >_<;

Hey, it does keep me entertained.

zlatko

Banned
Woops major edit! :lol

I didn't notice the file name is at the bottom. It's downloading the 2 files from today now.

Once that's done I should be set.

Soroc

OK. Went through with this beta installer process last night. Oh took me a good solid 6 hours to download all patches from Squenix. Just an FYI guys, anyone crawling on your patches makes sure to forward your ports as it sped mine up a lot. I still had a lot of time outs and restarts but eventually everything is all patched up and ready to go.

Now I just need me a beta code. Good Luck to all!! I'm hoping I can get one tonight!

Does anyone know if there is only going to be one server for the part of beta or will there be a couple. If we know where is Gaf heading? :D

zlatko

Banned
DeathNote said:
Cut SE, back, paste

Do you or anyone know a link to todays 2 files? It's not downloading them at all and I already screwed up trying to do port forwarding for a few hours earlier today.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
zlatko said:
Do you or anyone know a link to todays 2 files? It's not downloading them at all and I already screwed up trying to do port forwarding for a few hours earlier today.
They are in the last few pages

Khrno

Soroc said:
Does anyone know if there is only going to be one server for the part of beta or will there be a couple. If we know where is Gaf heading? :D

There were 10 servers during closed beta, there will be around 15 to 20 servers for Open Beta, and maybe some more for launch.

Current server that has been decided on is Emperor, unless names have been changed.

zlatko said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23102780&postcount=5179

zlatko

Banned
Alright. I officially wrapped it up and succeed thanks to you guys. ^^; Sorry for being such a nub about these things.

I get to the screen where it wants the ID and password, so now I just need SE to gimme a code. :p

Jinko

dorkimoe said:
i got the 4.4 gig one, i guess thats the best one

just hope it doesnt time out

Get free download manager, it will save you a lot of hassle if your connection craps out half way through, of course Firefox has one built in.

I'm going with Londa Gaf, myself.

LOL, we all love you londa...!! where she go ?

Oh yea crafting can go screw itself for OB.

hgplayer1

I might roll on Limsa initially but Im thinking about making a character on all 3 if they allow it.

Oh if I do roll on Limsa, stay far away from me Kandinsky u whining elitist snob!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom