• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

Kintaro said:
I'll be logging in if anyone with a LS pearl can pearl me

They need to add the ability to alt+tab out of the game. Otherwise, they're just asking for trouble again.

i can already do that D:

___Gaf Name_____:_Character Name___:__Main Job____:__Secondary Job

01. Corum--------------Corum Stratos ------------Pugilist
02. Londa---------------Lolo Landerlu --------------Marauder------Blacksmith/Clothcraft
03. Jinko ---------------Jinko Jinko -----------------Archer---------Armourer
04. Zomba 13----------Zomba Thirteen------------Gladiator
05. IonicSnake---------Lirion Eli---------------------Gladiator
06. Munba--------------Munba Lunru----------------Gladiator
07. Sacha --------------Kamal Nafur ---------------Gladiator
08. Gromph -------- ---Gromph Beta --------------Conjurer ------Alchemist/Cooking
09. Osaka---------------Honinbou Osaka -----------Lancer
10. Nakazato-----------Isamu Nakazato------------Pugilist
11. Mister Zimbu-------Khiqshi Enamtsal-----------Conjurer
12. Valru----------------Grim Fandango-------------Pugilist
13. Salaadin------------Craig Ferguson-------------Marauder
14. D-Dex---------------Ciro Dex -------------------Marauder
15. Teknoman----------Teknoman Blade-----------Gladiator--------Marauder/Miner/Fisherman
16. Kintaro -------------Darsh Schneider -----------Marauder
17. MetatronM----------Drake Metatron-------------Pugilist
18. Velion--------------Aalana Ragoi-----------------Lancer
19. Jiggle---------------Kuraudo Sutoraifu-----------Gladiator

logging in after my FFXI duty

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
SoD Fishing Ahoi!

fishing.png

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It would not be out of the realm of possibility for me to buy this game for fishing alone...then feel like a fool with SE nerfs it.

gillty

Banned
Londa said:
headed home in a couple of minutes. Lets see if I can function better with the controller. I just wish they would get use a Keyboard only option just like FFXI, a Keyboard and mouse option for people that like to play like that, and a controller only option. I do not like having my fingers crapped on the keyboard with "wasd" for move and "ijkl" for camera. "ijkl" for camera is just plan stupid put the camera on the number pad or arrow keys, PLEASE!

I have small hands and this keyboard set up is uncomfortable.
Using the numpad arrows for movement is the best option right now, the only problem being that you have to take your left hand off the camera (IJKL) to use the actionbar.

WASD + IJKL is horrible for anyone for small or big bands.

ideally there would be multiple setups:

WASD + arrowkeys
WASD + proper mouse controls
WASD + numpad camera keys

Khrno

The numpad should be the default keys for movement, just try them, if not then go to the config.exe and set them up.

Londa

Banned
Khrno said:
The numpad should be the default keys for movement, just try them, if not then go to the config.exe and set them up.

It wasn't for me. its wasd.

I'm going to configure now since I'm home. So I'll be around to dive in with you guys :D

My new character.

ffxivgame2010-08-1023-51-50-02.jpg

gillty

Banned
Odd that you guys cant use numpad for movement, I didnt have to configure anything and can use either wasd or numpad at anytime without changing any settings.

Teknoman

2zzl0nm.png

8vyjyr.png

b70vbm.png

Also why would you need to use the keyboard to set skills...unless thats a way around the glitch? In phase 2 you could just go to menu -> action and traits -> go to the drop down menu and select a class skill list. I am seeing others having that same problem when it comes to gamepads now though.

EDIT: Why does my username keep changing at the official feedback forums?

Khrno

Valru said:
Odd that you guys cant use numpad for movement, I didnt have to configure anything and can use either wasd or numpad at anytime without changing any settings.

Yeah same here (for phase 2 at least, since I haven't tried phase 3 yet).

Teknoman said:
Also why would you need to use the keyboard to set skills...unless thats a way around the glitch? In phase 2 you could just go to menu -> action and traits -> go to the drop down menu and select a class skill list.

I think the problem is how unintuitive it is to set skills, besides that the only way to set them is using the mouse, can't be done with just the KB or pad.

Londa said:
Cause i like macros

<3 macros

Teknoman

Khrno said:
I think the problem is how unintuitive it is to set skills, besides that the only way to set them is using the mouse, can't be done with just the KB or pad.

Thats why im thinking its a glitch. I could set skills no problem in the previous phases by just using the gamepad. It still felt a little off, since you had to choose an empty box,choose the list, then confirm the skill...but at least it worked with the gamepad.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Valru said:
There's a very simple explanation. If you don't have Num Lock on, the numpad does not work for movement.

Teknoman said:
Thats why im thinking its a glitch. I could set skills no problem in the previous phases by just using the gamepad. It still felt a little off, since you had to choose an empty box,choose the list, then confirm the skill...but at least it worked with the gamepad.

I was setting skills today using the 360 pad. It was a buggy mess and took 3-4 tries for each skill but it did work eventually.

Burli

Pringo
Anyone online that can fob me a linkpearl?

(On Shadowlord - that's the correct server, right?)

EDIT: Nevermind, gotta sleep - will try again later.

hgplayer1

MetatronM said:
There's a very simple explanation. If you don't have Num Lock on, the numpad does not work for movement.

Heh I was about to suggest Num Lock as a possibility.

Are leves working today? I heard u guys saying last night the mobs wouldnt spawn? I finished Treasures of the Main last night so Im gonna be trying leves tonight or just exping.

I ran into that problem last night with setting skills but using the mouse worked fine except that the mouse is laggy. I always wonder how a game can lose something as simple as that during a patch. In phase 2 that menu worked fine with controller and kb.

We need to start up a list of shops and where the weapons and armor are. I hate having to go hunt around for weapons it takes so much time. I think Tek told me last night that Thundersticks or whatever that shop is called sells all the starting weapons now which is cool. neogafclopedia has a nice ring to it.

Zomba13

Oh yeah leves seem to be bugged for me. In phase 2 I could take some leves, finish them, then exchange them for the ones I hadn't done yet when I was 8/8. Now it wont let me exchange or drop my leves and I've finished them. I wanted to do the bloodshore ones that are available in the guild :(

Zaptruder

Banned
I put down a preorder for the collectors edition the other day, but after watching some noob beginners clips I've become quite ambivalent.

The combat to me looks as slow as FFXI... is that the case? I thought the bing sound during combat signified that the character was ready to attack. In the videos I watched, that sound doesn't really correlate with an attack at all... it just keeps binging.

If the character attacked as frequently as the bings, it would be a faster and more playable game.

But tiny little creatures look just as tough and arduous to kill as they were in FFXI! Please confirm or allay my fears gaf :p

Zomba13

Zaptruder said:
I put down a preorder for the collectors edition the other day, but after watching some noob beginners clips I've become quite ambivalent.

The combat to me looks as slow as FFXI... is that the case? I thought the bing sound during combat signified that the character was ready to attack. In the videos I watched, that sound doesn't really correlate with an attack at all... it just keeps binging.

If the character attacked as frequently as the bings, it would be a faster and more playable game.

But tiny little creatures look just as tough and arduous to kill as they were in FFXI! Please confirm or allay my fears gaf :p
The binging is when you select the attack. in beta 3 it's faster than in beta 2 and things take less stamina so combat has gotten quicker again. The reason the bings didn't match up could be either lag or the guy mashing the selection. When you can get to a non crowded area and get a good fps everything matches uo.

Small enemies can be just as hard as big ones

gillty

Banned
Zaptruder said:

Combat is MANY times faster than XI, you may have been watching a video from alpha which was drastically different. (even since the previous beta phase combat has been sped up more)

The bings are system sounds that signifies you dont have enough stamina for the action, the player was mashing keys. (you can lower the volume of the bings in the volume options)

Zaptruder

Banned
Zomba13 said:
The binging is when you select the attack. in beta 3 it's faster than in beta 2 and things take less stamina so combat has gotten quicker again. The reason the bings didn't match up could be either lag or the guy mashing the selection. When you can get to a non crowded area and get a good fps everything matches uo.

Small enemies can be just as hard as big ones

Is there a video of the fast combat in action? The ones I've been watching come from the front page of this thread.

I'd like to see some videos of phase 3 combat. I was really enjoying it, borrowing a friend's account in phase 2, but people are saying phase 3 is even better when the servers aren't acting up.

Alex

The XIV combat is a lot faster. FFXI, especially if you had 2H... oh god. Back in the day, a bit before all the +acc really caught on, whiffing an attack would make you want to fall on a railroad spike :lol

Gonna see if I can borrow a friend's account again. Is there anything special I need to do to apply the SquareEnix.rar patch? I used to use the official downloader just fine, but I'm on a new network now and it's being awful.

Salaadin

Gained about 5-6 FPS just by turning shadows down from highest. Theyre at high now and the game runs much smoother. I had to quit though since my sister wanted her account back :( 2 hours isnt long enough!

Just crashed. Can't get back in. Gonna watch TV for awhile I guess, fun grouping while it lasted EVEN THOUGH THEY STILL HAVENT MADE IT WORTHWHILE TO GROUP ARG

Teknoman

The constant R0s today suck.

EDIT: The reason grouping is still messed up is probably because we keep having wide ranges of class ranks.

hgplayer1

constant crashes today. this makes the game unplayable. performance seems worse to me than at the end of phase 2 but i can deal with that. I hate not knowing when the game is gonna crash. hope they can fix these things soon.

Kandinsky

Zomba13 said:
Oh yeah leves seem to be bugged for me. In phase 2 I could take some leves, finish them, then exchange them for the ones I hadn't done yet when I was 8/8. Now it wont let me exchange or drop my leves and I've finished them. I wanted to do the bloodshore ones that are available in the guild :(
You cant do that, its 8 every 2 days, even if you have more available, you cant just trade them and its been that way since phase 2, maybe you were bugged in that, but its working as intended atm.

jogarrr

Does that limit on leve's apply to different types of leve's? For example, can you do some leve's as a Conjurer and then start doing some crafting or harvesting leve's?

Borman

Anyone trying the game on an Alienware M11x? (Core i7?) Thinking of picking one up, and Id love to be able to play the game on low settings, not seriously or anything but for some inbetween class play :p

Teknoman said:
The constant R0s today suck.

EDIT: The reason grouping is still messed up is probably because we keep having wide ranges of class ranks.

I still don't think that's the case. I had a session in phase 2 where we were killing blue/green mobs in a group of 5, with a narrow range of something like 11-13. Were still only getting about 200 xp apiece.

As far as I can tell, the way it works is that you get the same XP based on how the mob cons to the group, only divided amongst the members.

In other words - you fight a mob that cons green to you solo, it gives you 1000 XP. You fight a mob that cons green to a group of 5, the GROUP gets 1000 XP, split across all members (despite the fact that the mob that cons green to the group is a LOT stronger than the mob that cons green to you solo).

LowParry

Help me out here GAF.

Combat I enjoy. It looks great. Sounds great. All well placed. But something is nagging me about this game. Community. Outside of our GAF Linkshell, I had zero accomplishments of getting a random group together. I remember back in XI (from what I remember, don't kill me) were the Sand Dunes<?>. People put out there class and level. Group was formed and we'd be off to find a coast to grind away at crabs and fish, and run like hell from the skeletons. I'm not getting that same vibe from XIV. Even standing by a crystal, there's so many. Say. Shouts. Tried to get a group together to do the higher Leves. And it was a no go.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a feature to search that I haven't seen? Grouping with GAF will be great fun, but you're going to have days where it can't be done. And if I can't find a group or create one for that fact of it being a simple task, that worries me. Sure, maybe I could go out and work on my crafting skills, etc etc. But I'm not that type of player. I want to level. Explore the game as much as possible with fights and grouping before I get into any of the crafting side. Guess I'm just being paranoid. I dunno.

Salaadin

CcrooK said:
Help me out here GAF.

Combat I enjoy. It looks great. Sounds great. All well placed. But something is nagging me about this game. Community. Outside of our GAF Linkshell, I had zero accomplishments of getting a random group together. I remember back in XI (from what I remember, don't kill me) were the Sand Dunes<?>. People put out there class and level. Group was formed and we'd be off to find a coast to grind away at crabs and fish, and run like hell from the skeletons. I'm not getting that same vibe from XIV. Even standing by a crystal, there's so many. Say. Shouts. Tried to get a group together to do the higher Leves. And it was a no go.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a feature to search that I haven't seen? Grouping with GAF will be great fun, but you're going to have days where it can't be done. And if I can't find a group or create one for that fact of it being a simple task, that worries me. Sure, maybe I could go out and work on my crafting skills, etc etc. But I'm not that type of player. I want to level. Explore the game as much as possible with fights and grouping before I get into any of the crafting side. Guess I'm just being paranoid. I dunno.

Theres no real push to party right now. In XI, you couldnt get shit done with most jobs after level 10. You had to party to get anywhere or solo easy prey for 30 XP a pop and that wasnt fun.

I dont know if this is going to change with release. Especially since the XP in parties now sucks compared to the solo XP.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
CcrooK said:
Help me out here GAF.

XI required grouping. XIV will not. Hence, people will go solo to explore on their own if they can. Also, it's beta. People are fucking around to test or see if they like it.

Groups will happen and work out better in retail. I got a few leve groups in phase 2, and while it was fun, people kept getting booted, making it impractical.

Gonna see if I can borrow a friend's account again. Is there anything special I need to do to apply the SquareEnix.rar patch? I used to use the official downloader just fine, but I'm on a new network now and it's being awful.

anyone?

It sounds like there's an overall benefit to doing group leves since every member can initiate his/her leves for the entire group, so essentially you can do more of them than you could do solo.

LaneDS

HappyBivouac said:
It sounds like there's an overall benefit to doing group leves since every member can initiate his/her leves for the entire group, so essentially you can do more of them than you could do solo.

I predict lots of "oh, you did your leves already? Sorry, no group" in retail then.

jiggle

is this a glitch?
all the text in my box just disappeared
can't see what anyone/anything saids
fiddling with chat filter can't fix it :/

LaneDS

jiggle said:
is this a glitch?
all the text in my box just disappeared
can't see what anyone/anything saids
fiddling with chat filter can't fix it :/

Yes, that is of course a glitch. Logging in and out should fix it, happened to me yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom