• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I keep crashing when I talk to NPCs. =/ Screen goes completely black, stays there then boots me out. That's...annoying. =(

Kandinsky

Londa said:
oops I guess we aren't in beta this is retail and we want our money back!:lol

They should pay me to test this sham of a game :D
Its not that at all tho, if you guys are ok with this game being like this one month before it comes out, good for you I guess.

I just fail to see the massive improvements some of you are talking about even from alpha, thats all. But i should know better.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
toneedo said:
When i play in windowed mode, im missing the HP bar. Anyone know how to bring it to the center of the screen?

Check for ui.cf in \My Games\ and delete it.

Alex

Kandinsky said:
Its not that at all tho, if you guys are ok with this game being like this one month before it comes out, good for you I guess.

I just fail to see the massive improvements some of you are talking about even from alpha, thats all. But i should know better.

There has been some really nice improvements, but I wouldn't cite massive. Mostly to the combat engine and I think anyone opting into this games philosophies was already very content with the combat systems they knew were coming. I very much fall into that group.

Some people might be expecting a lot more than possible from the type of product Square is ultimately going to deliver. To that extent I think it's getting some unfair flak.

It's a really expensive field, and Square is a very conservative Japanese developer, but that isn't really the issue to me. It's just that I still maintain this game is being sent out quite undercooked. It's a time thing, that and Square is testing this game is a very insular manner, which is a really outdated manner to manage an MMO.

Very limited testing, almost no polish passes, it's just been about testing the basics and getting additional framework in. A few other online developers could do a lot in 40 days remaining of a beta, but Square isn't going to pull a bunny out of the hat. They take their time, even their beta patches are slow. I doubt live will be much different than it is now. Very reminiscent of how they released FFXI in Japan.

Hopefully in the end, they manage at least a steady release and surprise me on the updates. I'm not backing down from my purchase, their world building is superb and launch will be good fun regardless.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Do skillchains/battle regimens even work yet? I never hear about these, their effects, which attacks do what, etc.

Gromph

Staff Member
Osaka said:
hey, thanks for t5his! is it just the patch folders that are going to the my documents folder, or how do i use it?

No, that is Program Files installation folder, just overwrite and relaunch updated, only miss the last 5Mb update (is launcher one)

LowParry

Hrm. So far things seem to be shaping up. But to act as a community other than LS, I find it very hard to just get a group to go kill things or Leves for that matter. What game was it that started...didn't have much chat options to talk. I think it was Age of Conan. Eh, either way, the lack of speaking with others and getting random groups is a bit off settling. Of course we could always just rely on GAF to start and see what gets implemented later.

So I picked up doing a Puglist. Leves give some huge exp now. So after about an hour of doing those, Pug10/Phy12. And still have one more to do before looking for grind groups. I'm still on the fence of what class to play. I like them all but I need a focus on one. If that damned MP was fixed with regen, I'd lean heavy on a Conj. Ehhhhh. FML.

Teknoman

Still no videos though <_>

Anyway some sort of recovery maintenance soon. On the subject of gladiator, not sure how versatile it is without a shield (looking at the description of the class) but if there really is an overabundance, at least tanks will be plenty :lol

How do you chat with your linkshell? When ever I try my text don't show up after I press enter and I don't see anyone elses.

Also what's up with the victory music? I keep hearing it everytime anyone ranks up. :lol

Kandinsky

IonicSnake said:
How do you chat with your linkshell? When ever I try my text don't show up after I press enter and I don't see anyone elses.

Also what's up with the victory music? I keep hearing it everytime anyone ranks up. :lol
Go to filters and select "on" on linkshell. I know its stupid but it works :/

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Gromph said:
No, that is Program Files installation folder, just overwrite and relaunch updated, only miss the last 5Mb update (is launcher one)

so i just slam that on top of my ffxiv installation? neat. thanks a bunch.

my char will be called Honinbou Osaka, see you guys tonight!

Corum

Did anyone else have a problem creating a character and logging in? I keep receiving a lobby error.

*Edit* I didn't read this.

From 08:30 to 10:30 (GMT) on Aug. 11, 2010, we will be conducting maintenance to address issues caused by the recent technical difficulties. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.
* The Beta Test Site will still be available.

jiggle

got to play for a little before getting kicked off
the control is gonna take a little getting used to
it's like a reverse of FFXI's

graphics are so pretty
love the game already

the tarus are so much cuter when you can't see those supersized hips

can i get a gaf ls pearl plz
in game name is kuraudo sutoraifu

Gromph

Staff Member
jiggle said:
got to play for a little before getting kicked off
the control is gonna take a little getting used to
it's like a reverse of FFXI's

graphics are so pretty
love the game already

the tarus are so much cuter when you can't see those supersized hips

can i get a gaf ls pearl plz
in game name is kuraudo sutoraifu

I should be online at 14:30-15:00 GMT+2 just tell Gromph Beta for a pearl :)

Zomba13

I can't get on. Are the servers still up?
Also I decided to be an Alchemist for the glasses, going to buy a sword asap.

Screenshot.

ffxivgame%202010-08-11%2009-35-56-33.jpg

Zomba13

Finally on Shadowlord again. Zomba Thirteen. I want a pearl later :D

FUCK! I didn't get a boat shock pic because it fucking glitched out (character was partially on screen just standing there looking to the left of the frame)

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Can someone explain me the difference in equipping a skill to main or sub hand? I mean, if every skill can be equipped in either one, what do you gain from going for one hand instead of the other?

Note: I haven't played since end of first beta phase since the low performance on my old PC was so unbearable.

Ronok

Anyone online that can get a pearl? I'm on shadowlord.

I'm trying fishing right now in the city and haven't caught a thing yet. lolol

Londa

Banned
jiggle: what a cute avatar :D

Ionicsnake: Hot character :D

sadly I'm at work and not playing.

I think it would be a good idea if we had a list what everyones jobs are.

Gromph

Staff Member
-- Added: 8/11/2010 ---

- Players are able to hear all the sound effects of surrounding players that gain a level.

Corum

Corum Stratos - Pugilist

The increase in XP obtained for completing guildleves is high, was there any mention of quicker leveling?

Londa

Banned
ok, I'll make a text document and put it up on google docs. for everyone.

Just list your name and your job. If you have a secondary job let me know that one too.

Gaf Name:___:_Character Name__:__Main Job___:__Secondary Job

1. Corum---------Corum Stratos --------Pugilist
2. Londa----------Lolo Landerlu ---------Marauder

*this weekend we should try to kill a Goobue. :D

Zomba13

Londa said:

Just list your name and your job. If you have a secondary job let me know that one too.

Zomba13 Zomba Thirteen Gladiator

Also I think they want us to test out the higher levels more as I'm getting around 4k exp per normal mob (compared to ~1k or so in phase 2) and I'm geting loads of skill from finishing a leve and killing enemies.

Ronok

I just went to the fishing guild and tried to "use guild marks" and instead of listing item names or whatever it has:

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1))

I dunno how they managed to miss this one. :lol

Londa

Banned
Londa said:

3. Zomba13-----Zomba Thirteen -------Gladiator

Updated

Jinko

3. Jinko ----------Jinko Jinko ------------Gladiator-----------Armourer
4. Zomba 13-----Zomba Thirteen-------Gladiator

Armourer Recipes I have found so far :-

Copper Barbut
Copper Plate x 2
Copper Rivet x 1
Sheep LEather x1

Copper Rings
Copper Wire x1

Oh where did they move the shields, I can't find shit again :S

Munba

Munba Lunru - Gladiator

Played only 1 hour, at work now. :/ Btw i just noticed some improvements, speedy-gonzales combat and the holy npg separate-chat finally. And the funny fanfare every 3 steps of course. :D

Londa

Banned
I'm putting all the info in excel. So we can have a pretty graph of how many of what job we have. :lol

2. Londa----------Lolo Landerlu ---------Marauder------Blacksmith/Clothcraft
3. Jinko ----------Jinko Jinko ------------Gladiator---------Armourer
5. IonicSnake-----Lirion Eli-------------Gladiator
6. Munba--------Munba Lunru-----------Gladiator
7. Sacha -------- Kamal Nafur -------- Gladiator

Tank Linkshell :lol

Gromph

Staff Member
Gromph - Gromph Beta - Conjurer Alchemist/Cooking

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
Ok I'm switching :p - Archer.

Ok

2. Londa----------Lolo Landerlu ---------Marauder------Blacksmith/Clothcraft
3. Jinko ----------Jinko Jinko ------------Archer---------Armourer
5. IonicSnake-----Lirion Eli-------------Gladiator
6. Munba--------Munba Lunru-----------Gladiator
7. Sacha -------- Kamal Nafur -------- Gladiator
8. Gromph ------ Gromph Beta ------ Conjurer -------Alchemist/Cooking

*Saturday at 1:00pm - 2:00pm est = Kill Goobue and Nix's :D (give people an hour to prepare)

Gromph

Staff Member
Im atm in game

I'm in beared rock just /tell me for a Ls invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom