• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

CcrooK said:
Thaums I believe get some sort of benefit of being a bit closer to mobs for whatever reason. I'd imagin seeing them between melee and outside range (Archer/Conj) with groups.

Well yeah I dont mean really far, just outside of most aoe range/ not close enough for the enemy to physically hit them.

EDIT: So thats what those bushes are...shallow water. Fishing sounds a little easier after reading that, and spearfishing = just normal gathering.

Salaadin

I love how the crafts are interactive and tedious now. Sometimes tedious is good and making me actually do something in order to get something is better for me. In FFXI, it was shit. When you mined, you had 3 things that would happen:

1)You get something
2)You get nothing
3)Your pickaxe breaks

Do that for an hour, and youre ready to quit.

I also think part of the reason that the crafts have more interactivity to them is to combat RMT. In FFXI, some areas would be flooded with people named "aslfdkahfsda" just spamming /mine macros. In FFXIV, theres a certain level of attention one has to pay now in order to succeed. Its good. It works well when you get the hang of it.

Salaadin

notworksafe said:
You'd figure SQE would just put in a group XP bonus that increases with each member added.

At the very least, you should get the same XP as you do solo and then have the option to up that by chaining.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
CcrooK said:
Is there macros for weapon switching? I haven't really looked into the macro option yet.

No. Currently this would be very bad as you have to reset action bar everytime you switch weapons (and doing so right now is bugged). Also, I don't think you can even do this in battle...

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
No. Currently this would be very bad as you have to reset action bar everytime you switch weapons (and doing so right now is bugged). Also, I don't think you can even do this in battle...

I think they'll let certain actions stay as long as you have enough AP, at least thats what happened when I changed from Gladiator to Marauder last night. Red lotus blade, Rampart, Skull sunder, and Blood bath stayed equipped, while the only thing I had to reequip was broad swing.

Unless that was the bug.

EDIT: Yeah fishing seemed better in XI, but I do like the way mining is in XIV. How is harvesting?

Teknoman said:
Well yeah I dont mean really far, just outside of most aoe range/ not close enough for the enemy to physically hit them.

Couple contributions to the problem:

- Even with provoke, monster threat is completely out of control. I cast Cure once? Good luck getting that mob off me.

- Most mobs have a ranged attack anyway that they'll use if its aggro target isn't in melee range.

- When healing, I still don't have a reliable way of curing others while in combat due to the terrible targeting system. The easiest way is just target myself (which IS easier now at least... but targeting others is still alot of clicks) and stack right on top of whoever I want to heal.

---

I do think it's kind of funny that the most efficient way to level up, by the game's design, is to solo all your levequests, and then trick other players in letting you mooch off of them. Awesome job.

As for comparisons to WoW, I think they're completely valid - WoW is pretty much a good target due to the streamlined UI and the amount of polish Blizzard tends to put in it. While I'm not saying this game has to be another WoW-clone like most MMOs of late, there's definitely a lot of apt comparisons they can use as guidelines, e.g:

- In WoW if I want to heal someone I just press my heal hotkey and then click their unit frame. Why do I have to go through an 8 click process in FF14 to do the same thing?

- In WoW if a party member disconnects or crashes they stay in the group unless removed by a player. Why do I have to hunt down where the party went in FF14 and beg for a reinvite?

- In WoW I can hit the Windows key and my game *won't* blow up!

Kintaro

Teknoman said:
I think they'll let certain actions stay as long as you have enough AP, at least thats what happened when I changed from Gladiator to Marauder last night. Red lotus blade, Rampart, Skull sunder, and Blood bath stayed equipped, while the only thing I had to reequip was broad swing.

Unless that was the bug.

Ah okay.

Teknoman

Didnt they fix the targeting for cure? I havent played conjurer yet so I cant say from experience, but cant you just use arrows or d-pad to cycle through party members? Or do you have to change target from enemy to party, then choose?

notworksafe

Salaadin said:
At the very least, you should get the same XP as you do solo and then have the option to up that by chaining.
Yeah no kidding. I'm sure they are just messing about with solo XP levels to see how much they should be. XP gain is pretty easy to fix so it should be okay before long.

Kintaro

Mister Zimbu said:
- In WoW I can hit the Windows key and my game *won't* blow up!

Yeah, this shit (and alt+tabbing) is offensive. This one point is the core example of things SE just doesn't get and it can be expanded into almost every facet of the beta so far.

Teknoman said:
Didnt they fix the targeting for cure? I havent played conjurer yet so I cant say from experience, but cant you just use arrows or d-pad to cycle through party members? Or do you have to change target from enemy to party, then choose?

They fixed self-targeting for Cure, but targeting party members is still broken.

If I have a mob targeted, I can cast cure and select a target, but the only selectable targets are myself and the mob. Which is hilarious because the default target is the mob in that case.

If I want to target a party member I have to go through the whole process of untargeting the mob, finding the party member (which is admittedly simpler now that I can do up/down targeting to select a party member), then casting the spell, then going back and retargeting the mob.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Also mages need to learn how to hang back a little. I keep seeing mages in the field/small parties getting one shotted because they are right in the enemy's face.?

LOL you're prob right but I was getting killed last night cause I was pulling hate even though I was the lowest level memeber in the party, we didn't have a GLD to provoke either which was probably the major cause of me and the con dying.

If you are playing THU you will want to cast sacrifice on yourself as you will need to regen the HP back which you just spent to heal everyone and standing in the middle of the group makes sense if you want to hit everyone with the AOE.

I do think it's kind of funny that the most efficient way to level up, by the game's design, is to solo all your levequests, and then trick other players in letting you mooch off of them. Awesome job.

When players learn this they will be even more reluctant to party up.

- Even with provoke, monster threat is completely out of control. I cast Cure once? Good luck getting that mob off me.

Thats odd provoke worked brilliantly in phase 2, I guess they must have changed it, or you had a bad experience.

Teknoman

Mister Zimbu said:
They fixed self-targeting for Cure, but targeting party members is still broken.

If I have a mob targeted, I can cast cure and select a target, but the only selectable targets are myself and the mob. Which is hilarious because the default target is the mob in that case.

If I want to target a party member I have to go through the whole process of untargeting the mob, finding the party member (which is admittedly simpler now that I can do up/down targeting to select a party member), then casting the spell, then going back and retargeting the mob.

Well that sucks...you'd think it would be easier for cure or any buff spell to just jump to the party list on the side (including yourself), choose target, pick aoe or single, cast. I like that they added choose single or aoe since thats closer to classic FF, but you'd think they would just do the most logical thing when it comes to healing/buffing and leave it there.

Jinko said:
LOL you're prob right but I was getting killed last night cause I was pulling hate even though I was the lowest level memeber in the party, we didn't have a GLD to provoke either which was probably the major cause of me and the con dying.

If you are playing THU you will want to cast sacrifice on yourself as you will need to regen the HP back which you just spent to heal everyone and standing in the middle of the group makes sense if you want to hit everyone with the AOE.

Yeah that makes sense, it'll probably easier to hold hate once we get shields /can use phalanx again since that generates hate too. Also I guess thats why Thaumaturge can be seen with heavier armors at time (gauntlets, armor boots) in screenshots/renders.

About the maintenance...guess its to fix those random R0 we were getting.

EDIT: Anyone with newish beta accounts still not able to post on the feedback forums? I could post no problem when I was sharing an account, but now that I have my own, it seems like my name gets randomly changed.

At least it seems like most of the feedback posts are about the same things we've been discussing/have some of the same solutions.

hgplayer1

Arent there guild leves that are actually tutorials for some of the craft jobs? I could have sworn I did some leves that walked me step by step through how to mine and gather.

I didnt find the process in XIV all that fun or anything but I used to fall asleep trying to fish and mine in XI cause it was so boring to me.

I still dont get how can fishing get nerfed?

One thing Ive always taken into consideration during my play time on XI and even now with XIV is that these things that drive us crazy because they arent as simple as we would like, fishing for example, are made that way by SE because they want them to take as much time as possible without blatantly throwing it in our face that those tears we are crying are pennies coming out of our pockets.

Once you accept that fact it all makes sense. :lol

Salaadin

hgplayer1 said:
Arent there guild leves that are actually tutorials for some of the craft jobs? I could have sworn I did some leves that walked me step by step through how to mine and gather.

I know the guildleve assigner elvaan dude has a category of guildleves called "tutorial leves" or something like that.

Jinko

hgplayer1 said:

There are but SE aren't doing it right, they should be throwing pop up text windows in people face so they have no choice but to read them, its way too easy to miss text in the chat log.

The crafting tutorials don't explain the purpose of the wait option or how the colour of the orb will effect the success of the synth.

As usual SE are leaving it down to the player to figure everything out.

Londa

Banned
But I like a little mystery. I don't like being told what every single thing is or what it does. I guess its because of (OMGBBQ) I played FFXI where the stats wasn't even explained to you. Lots of things are still a mystery and Pikko really did well in finding out how to grow elemental orbs without being told how to.

Um that reminds me, I hope we get gardening in FFXIV.

hgplayer1

Salaadin said:
I know the guildleve assigner elvaan dude has a category of guildleves called "tutorial leves" or something like that.

yeah if you do those leves youll get pop up messages during the leve to help figure out the aspects of mining and gathering.

also I could have sworn I saw somewhere that you can add a command in the macros for targeting. If so that should help with cures.

Londa said:
But I like a little mystery. I don't like being told what every single thing is or what it does. I guess its because of (OMGBBQ) I played FFXI where the stats wasn't even explained to you. Lots of things are still a mystery and Pikko really did well in finding out how to grow elemental orbs without being told how to.

What are you talking about? This is 2010. It is simply no longer acceptable for a game to make players think about things. The moment a game makes me think I say "this game sucks" and I eat my controller. I mean come on. That shit doesn't fly anymore.

As much as this post was meant to poke fun, I do agree that fishing could use a tad more explanation in-game. They don't have to tell you everything, as when you're sinking hours into a craft/gathering job it's fun when you figure out all the little secrets of how to do things better, but right now the wording in the tutorials is confusing and doesn't really do a whole lot.

Teknoman

I guess im the only one having problems posting feedback on the forums?

Jinko said:
There are but SE aren't doing it right, they should be throwing pop up text windows in people face so they have no choice but to read them, its way too easy to miss text in the chat log.

The crafting tutorials don't explain the purpose of the wait option or how the colour of the orb will effect the success of the synth.

Color of the orb? Something is supposed to appear while synthing (other than the normal animations)?

And yeah, tutorial text should have a special box like npc chat.

hgplayer1

Jinko said:

Londa said:

Gee I wonder why SE cant figure out exactly what their player base wants. :lol

I think I agree with Londa's opinion in that I like a little mystery. If you jumped into FFXI right now and started playing there are so many guides on how to do everything its almost no fun since nothing is a mystery. Thats not to say theres no fun to be had or that I would be able to figure some of those things out myself.

XIV seems to be on the right track with the quest logs and NPC linkpearls so you arent in the dark as to what to do next during a quest. Not sure whats there for crafters but I wouldnt be surprised if they get catered to as well with help via NPCs and such.

Teknoman

You can buy crafting stuff at any of the major guild shops for that profession. As far as helping crafters goes, there are manuals you can buy for guildmarks that show how to make lots of different items.

Problem is...no one has any marks/sure way to get them.

Jinko

Londa said:

Botanist seems to have taken the place of gardening.

There is no mystery especially when dat miners will eventually find a way to find out every piece of info.

So its either they provide the info in game or we all tab out (wait we can't do that) and go look at wiki, guess we will all be playing in windowed mode again. /sigh

Color of the orb? Something is supposed to appear while synthing (other than the normal animations)?

Over on the forums they think that the orb is supposed to stay white for better success rates, this could be nothing more than facing north with a cresent moon on windsday though.

White is supposed to change the colour of the orb or something, I can't say I beileve it or where they are getting this though.

Teknoman

Fileplanet used to be cool. Never been the same since they introduced subscription models...but at least you can still download stuff for free from the site.

Londa

Banned
Jinko: I was thinking of gardening in how you can plant stuff and it grows in your home. I was growing some really expensive stuff in FFXI. But it took so long to figure it all out.

gillty

Banned
asdad123 said:
Same haha. 7 bucks is worth it lol.

Downloading updates now :D :D

So when's the next time we could play?
the plan is 24/7, beta is down right now.

Currently, we are experiencing technical difficulties with FINAL FANTASY where certain areas of the servers would go down on numerous occassions. The issue is currently being investigated, but we will require some time to address the matter.

Due to these issues, we have decided to temporarily suspend the beta test as of Aug. 12, 2010 at 8:00 (PDT).

Please be advised that we have not been able to determine when the service will be back up, but we will make sure to let you know as soon as it is determined.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Salaadin

asdad123 said:
Same haha. 7 bucks is worth it lol.

Downloading updates now :D :D

So when's the next time we could play?

Keep in mind that its a recurring payment. They will auto charge you next month if you dont cancel beforehand.

asdad123

Salaadin said:
Keep in mind that its a recurring payment. They will auto charge you next month if you dont cancel beforehand.

Yeah Im going to cancel soon. Might as well download some other stuff from them in the first month lol.

Jinko

Londa said:
Jinko: I was thinking of gardening in how you can plant stuff and it grows in your home. I was growing some really expensive stuff in FFXI. But it took so long to figure it all out.

Yea I appreciate that but much of the stuff we used to get from gardening will now come from one of the gathering jobs, they may add gardening in the future, but i don't see it.

Although won't they need to confirm moogles and houses first ? ;)

asdad123

Ughhh Im downloading at like 20kb/s while uploading 200. Anyway to speed the download up?

I only have 7 local connections. That seems low?

LowParry

Teknoman said:
If it added normal shops with equipment...I wouldnt complain...much.

Eh, I'm expecting the adjustments come open beta. Hopefully with the majority of things with the armor, weapons, Leves, etc.

jiggle

had a lot of fun trying out dif races and disciplines
but boy do they have a lot of fixings to do
worst offender is the menu speed
slow and laggy
got a headache just trying to dump stuffs on npc

gathering is not that bad if they get rid of first of the 2 parts minigame

really bugs me that we can't fall off (low/medium height) cliffs anymore
especially when the zone is so bumpy

8 leves every 2 days are not enough!
should've been all quests repeatable every 2 days

Nakazato said:
as long as they take away being able to here everyones fanfare im happy :lol

god what a nightmare that was

Ravidrath

jiggle said:
8 leves every 2 days are not enough!
should've been all quests repeatable every 2 days

It's like MMM - you can only personally initiate leves every 2 days, but you can do them all day long if you want by joining parties.

Caj814

I hope the fileplanet stuff isn't BS.As soon as I signed up they were out of beta keys for the day.Will they update it exactly on midnight or some random time tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom