• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

LaneDS said:
I predict lots of "oh, you did your leves already? Sorry, no group" in retail then.

Hopefully thats just s-e paranoia talking :lol

Anyway synthing repost:

Carpenter
35cg07c.jpg

Leatherwork
1z6ftcp.jpg

Smithing
2vwcw1x.jpg

Weaver
21mf86d.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I have to wonder just what the hell SE was thinking with fishing and mining. Not to mention the craft system as a whole up to this point. Its...FFXI's system with some mini games and even more randomness. =(

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
Hopefully thats just s-e paranoia talking :lol

Sigh, this beta turned me from super excited into super negative apparently, even if I think most of my negativity is well-grounded.

Kandinsky

Kintaro said:
I have to wonder just what the hell SE was thinking with fishing and mining. Not to mention the craft system as a whole up to this point. Its...FFXI's system with some mini games and even more randomness. =(
Yeah crafting is too interactive, its annoying and you get tired of it quick, IMO ofc. The slow ass menú scroll make things even worse.

How the hell do I get fishing to work? Can't find an explanation anywhere. I get to "You feel a bite." so I hit Jig, then hit enter at some point on the cast gauge, and come up with nothing every time. I guess I'm missing something here.

Who can I /tell for a linkpearl?

Nakazato

HappyBivouac said:
How the hell do I get fishing to work? Can't find an explanation anywhere. I get to "You feel a bite." so I hit Jig, then hit enter at some point on the cast gauge, and come up with nothing every time. I guess I'm missing something here.

Who can I /tell for a linkpearl?
tek since he's on now

Teknoman

Mining is easy, and actually has you doing something so you dont get bored just auto hitting things and leaving it up to chance.

Fishing is probably the same way...guess i'll give that a shot in a little.

I can't get fishing to work for the life of me ><

I've hooked a handful of fish but never caught one. And there's no indication of what sort of motion I should do.

Kintaro

Teknoman said:
Mining is easy, and actually has you doing something so you dont get bored just auto hitting things and leaving it up to chance.

Fishing is probably the same way...guess i'll give that a shot in a little.

Uh, mining was still pretty boring. =/ Unless you have some tips of something.

LowParry

Alright, I've come to my class conclusion (meaning new hype avatar of O face mayhem).

Name: Dark Elf (if I cant get this name, I'll stick with Chop Sticks or something else in the future).
Main: Thaumaturge
Secondary: Conjurer

Professions: Miner/Weaver/Goldsmith

Teknoman

Kintaro said:

Well its less boring than FFXI mining, but its nothing i'd call fun :lol Kinda works like Mass Effect 2 mining if you've played that. Fishing on the other hand...it's easy to learn, but takes patience.

As far as party exp goes or checking monsters, I dont think its busted atm. Its just everyone on the server is gimped. S-E had the bright idea to force people to playtest crafting jobs due to local leves being added. So now, even though the stores sell starter weapons, no store sells new armor, shields, or weapons for post rank 1 jobs.

So we're probably getting hit alot harder than normal from easy monsters, and doing less damage than we normally would. If you can put a decent dent into a green ranked enemy now, think what you'd do with a weapon that matched or was close to your rank. Same for armor.

jiggle

is there a max amount of points u can store?
just hit lv10 and only got 50points?
that doesn't seem right..don't we get 6points per level?

Londa

Banned
while doing leve's I will get the glitch where you can not swing your weapon on every leve mob I have to kill. So really, Nothing will get better with leve's until they fix the system. Now sure why its so glitched when in Beta 2 it was much better. We just had to wait forever to get more leve's.

Jinko

Kintaro said:

I think the gathering is fine, but you are right with the crafting, way too high of a chance to fail and even though there is a choice it's no choice at all if you don't know the out come.

I noticed the moon and whether is back at the top right of the screen /sigh

I would say mining in WoW is a lot more boring, you basically have nothing to do but search.

Salaadin

I like the mining. Im not sure how theyre supposed to make jamming a pickaxe into a rock an exhilarating experience. It works me.

JudgeN

Question for you beta people, FFXI had a specific party order for grouping were it was EXP or HNM. With FFXIV being more solo based, is the basic party setup still the same as FFXI? Tank job/DD/Mages etc? And are there any HNM's in the beta? Hell are NM still in the game?

Can't believe I didn't get in the beta, SE you hurt me big time.

Londa

Banned
JudgeN said:
Question for you beta people, FFXI had a specific party order for grouping were it was EXP or HNM. With FFXIV being more solo based, is the basic party setup still the same as FFXI? Tank job/DD/Mages etc? And are there any HNM's in the beta? Hell are NM still in the game?

Can't believe I didn't get in the beta, SE you hurt me big time.

It is way too early for anyone to answer those or to even have rules for partying in the game.

Why would there be HNM's if the level cap is 30?

Ronok

It's strange but the mouse is far less responsive for me today compared to yesterday. :-/ I thought they had actually sorted this out to some degree. :(

JudgeN

Londa said:
It is way too early for anyone to answer those or to even have rules for partying in the game.

Why would there be HNM's if the level cap is 30?

So there is no partying yet? HNM was probably wrong wording but I figured there be some mob that was impossible to solo thus requiring a party. The game does release next month and if party mechanics are in place yet then that's kind of problem.

Salaadin

JudgeN said:
So there is no partying yet? HNM was probably wrong wording but I figured there be some mob that was impossible to solo thus requiring a party. The game does release next month and if party mechanics are in place yet then that's kind of problem.

There is partying but theres no real need or use for it right now. XP gained solo is far greater than that gained in a party so most people go off and do things on their own. Its pretty stupid.

JudgeN said:

There are mobs that are impossible to solo. It's just that if you kill them in a party you'd get 1/5 the experience of an equivalent color mob when solo, a fraction of the rank points (melee get close to the same amount of solo, casters get 1/4 of the rank points IF they get any at all), and are more likely to die since mobs that con blue (Easy Prey) to your group will more than likely one-shot your tank with their special for about double their health pool.

JudgeN

Mister Zimbu said:
There are mobs that are impossible to solo. It's just that if you kill them in a party you'd get 1/5 the experience of an equivalent color mob when solo, a fraction of the rank points (melee get close to the same amount of solo, casters get 1/4 of the rank points IF they get any at all), and are more likely to die since mobs that con blue (Easy Prey) to your group will more than likely one-shot your tank with their special for about double their health pool.

O my that doesn't sound good at all.

Jinko

Mister Zimbu said:

This, there are huge holes in the balancing of the game at this point, I can't imagine they are going to be sorted by release either.

So far Parties consist of whoever wants to join and its a mish mash of smacking something until its dead.

There are no shield and armour vendors so tanks are massively gimped aswell.

Londa

Banned
JudgeN said:

did you really read what I said? I told you that there are no rules for partying right now. There is no basic set up or cookie cutting. We won't be getting that until months after the retail version is released.

The only thing that I could really say that means anything is that parties are now bigger than 6. A party that is bigger than 6 is not considered an alliance.

JudgeN

Londa said:
did you really read what I said? I told you that there are no rules for partying right now. There is no basic set up or cookie cutting. We won't be getting that until months after the retail version is released.

The only thing that I could really say that means anything is that parties are now bigger than 6. A party that is bigger than 6 is not considered an alliance.

I read what you said but it was a little to vague for me considering the game isn't far from release. Partying was a the main aspect of FF11, I understand it has been lessened in FF14 but I thought someone would have come up with how a basic party will work with the new game system by now. Also didn't realize armor hasn't been introduced yet. Either way looking at the beta now and what they plan on improving by release would you all suggest this as a day 1 purchase? Right now it sounds like the basic groundwork isn't even in place for this game.

Khrno

Jinko said:
There are no shield and armour vendors so tanks are massively gimped aswell.

There was a shield vendor in phase 2, just by the weapon shop. And you could find some armour pieces by the market too. Did they take these NPC out? Or are you just trying to convince JudgeN that everyone runs around naked?

would you all suggest this as a day 1 purchase?

Do whatever you want dude. I'm getting the CE on the 22nd, I don't care if I'll be paying for a 6 month beta or something. It's your money, so it's up to you.

Salaadin

JudgeN said:
I read what you said but it was a little to vague for me considering the game isn't far from release. Partying was a the main aspect of FF11, I understand it has been lessened in FF14 but I thought someone would have come up with how a basic party will work with the new game system by now. Also didn't realize armor hasn't been introduced yet. Either way looking at the beta now and what they plan on improving by release would you all suggest this as a day 1 purchase? Right now it sounds like the basic groundwork isn't even in place for this game.

If you can wait, then wait. Im personally going to get it on release and just lightly level a job but heavily invest time into the various crafts and make some gil while SE sorts out the issues.

gillty

Banned
Temporary Suspension of FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test (Aug. 12) #191414 - Today at 05:46 AM. said:
Currently, we are experiencing technical difficulties with FINAL FANTASY where certain areas of the servers would go down on numerous occassions. The issue is currently being investigated, but we will require some time to address the matter.

Due to these issues, we have decided to temporarily suspend the beta test as of Aug. 12, 2010 at 8:00 (PDT).

Please be advised that we have not been able to determine when the service will be back up, but we will make sure to let you know as soon as it is determined.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience and understanding.
Did not see this posted, servers go down in 20minutes. Hopefully they can get this fixed before the work day ends in japan.

Jinko

Khrno said:
There was a shield vendor in phase 2, just by the weapon shop. And you could find some armour pieces by the market too. Did they take these NPC out? Or are you just trying to convince JudgeN that everyone runs around naked?

Sadly they have removed those items, a lot of the item placements have changed in this phase.

I guess they want to force crafting, but I can't see how they expect anyone to craft when there is no AH and no valid way to sell the items.

Retainers be damned.

I am planning on getting the CE still aswell, as much as I moan about the beta I still enjoy it, Kind of like my whole time playing FF11 :p

JudgeN sorry if i confused you, there is armour in the game its just you can only get it from crafting, someone who crafts or luck that the guildleve reward is the correct armour for your class.

Something I find annoying is that as a GLD I can complete a guildleve and get a mage hat which is of little use to me, again if we had an AH I could sell it and buy something more suitable.

Londa

Banned
JudgeN said:

Um they wipe our characters every now and then. I have had to remake my character twice. I was only level 10 in Beta 3. Honestly. It is too early to set in stone any type of set up. You just seem to not get this.... It didn't take FFXI over night to make up a good party set up. Also as they nerf jobs the party set up became different (TP burn in TOAU).

Like I've said twice before, there won't be anything set in stone until months after release. Usually its players who decide those things.

No one said there was no armor. If there was no armor wouldn't everyone be running around in their underwear?

Jinko said:
as much as I moan about the beta I still enjoy it

Boy, do you moan. :lol

But in all honestly I have been crying about controls in Beta 3. In here and in the game.
But I like everything else about 14. I think it has great potental.

JudgeN

Londa said:
Um they wipe our characters every now and then. I have had to remake my character twice. I was only level 10 in Beta 3. Honestly. It is too early to set in stone any type of set up. You just seem to not get this.... It didn't take FFXI over night to make up a good party set up. Also as they nerf jobs the party set up became different (TP burn in TOAU).

Like I've said twice before, there won't be anything set in stone until months after release. Usually its players who decide those things.

No one said there was no armor. If there was no armor wouldn't everyone be running around in their underwear?

This is factually incorrect, looking at FFXI and the abilities/traits of the starting jobs. If was very obvious that warrior was a tank/DD, blackmage was obviously a damage dealer, white mage was obviously a healer, etc. BASIC PARTY setup was available and well known day 1. All I asked for was if there was a BASIC setup on party mechanics in FF14. Nothing advanced just a basic understanding, either way sorry bothering this thread with my silly unanswerable questions.

Londa

Banned
JudgeN said:
This is factually incorrect, looking at FFXI and the abilities/traits of the starting jobs. If was very obvious that warrior was a tank/DD, blackmage was obviously a damage dealer, white mage was obviously a healer, etc. BASIC PARTY setup was available and well known day 1. All I asked for was if there was a BASIC setup on party mechanics in FF14. Nothing advanced just a basic understanding, either way sorry bothering this thread with my silly unanswerable questions.

None of the parties I had where, Whm, Thf, War, Monk, Blm, and Rdm in FFXI just because there was 6 jobs at release. War was a tank until level 30 when people got PLD. Don't forget that NA has advance jobs at release while JP had only the 6 basic jobs. Do you think they knew the main party rules during beta? Did they know PLD was going to be in the next expansion? Did anyone know that Ninja would even be able to tank when it first came out?

You seriously need to calm down. Your like those people on BG that are trying to make a HNM LS when those haven't even been released yet. I mean how can you make a endgame LS when the cap in Beta is 30, no one knows what the cap will be, or if there will be a need for end game before we get our first expansion. People need to chill. Sea won't be release day one. :lol

Like people have said tons of times. The actions that make a tank, damage dealer, and healer are all spread out into different jobs. There is no main class for anything atm. No one can even figure out which mage job is the best healing class.

You are not understanding anything I've said. So I'm giving up.

desa

Londa said:
wtf, golden sublingar? -_-;

oh word?

I'm gonna be struttin that shiny, golden ass.

So, now that the linkshell has been assembled, have you guys killed anything crazy? Like those giant goats of terror?

Jinko

Chill out Londa lol.

I would say a basic party currently would consist of 1 of each DoM and DoW class.

Would make for a 7 man party, of course this is besides the point as much of the harder mobs will one shot your tank and the easier stuff won't provide enough challenge.

Best parties I have been in so far have been 2 -3 man ones. 1 tank, 1 DD, 1 support.

Kintaro

So, those of you who say gathering is fine, care to explain who I can actually mine shit that's not lugworms? You know, useful shit? How about fishing?

(Yes, I see the fishing guide. Shame the game can't properly explain this shit to you like it should...now to see if it works.)

Jinko brought up WoW. Don't do that. No one brought it up and it just veers the topic towards some stupid versus match up. However, I still say that while WoW's crafting isn't OMG amazing, they are successful because they keep it simple. Find a mining node, you're going to get some ore. Makes sense. In FFXIV right now? You still have to find the ore, then do a tedious mini-game in the hopes of getting some ore instead of some lugworms. Blizzard kept it simple. SE is just adding to the mess that was FFXI's crafting.

Londa

Banned
Kintaro said:
So, those of you who say gathering is fine, care to explain who I can actually mine shit that's not lugworms? You know, useful shit? How about fishing?

(Yes, I see the fishing guide. Shame the game can't properly explain this shit to you like it should...now to see if it works.)

Jinko brought up WoW. Don't do that. No one brought it up and it just veers the topic towards some stupid versus match up. However, I still say that while WoW's crafting isn't OMG amazing, they are successful because they keep it simple. Find a mining node, you're going to get some ore. Makes sense. In FFXIV right now? You still have to find the ore, then do a tedious mini-game in the hopes of getting some ore instead of some lugworms. Blizzard kept it simple. SE is just adding to the mess that was FFXI's crafting.

Stuff near Skull Valley are better. Because they are rank 2 mining spots. Which you need to be a high enough Miner to mine from them. At level 6 I couldn't mine from the rank 2 spots.

Jinko said:
Chill out Londa lol.

I can't help it. lol

He was asking if there are HNMs. I mean....wow... cap is level 30... and we only have the outside of Lima.

Jinko

Kintaro said:

I got the following from rank 1 nodes.

Scollops (no idea why these would be mining lol) --cooking
Copper Ore --blacksmithing and armouer craft
Yellow Copper Ore -- same as above
Pyrite -- goldsmithing ?
Bone chips -- no idea but someone uses em
Bloodworms -- fishing
Lugworms -- fishing
(Water, Fire, Wind, Earth and Lightning) stones (no idea what these are) -- goldsmithing ?
Crystal Shards -- Everyone

There was a load of stuff I can't remember.

All of this stuff would sell on an AH, and I consider it usefull to someone.

I did bring WoW up, not to argue about it, just to point out how tedious any gathering system is, I find WoW's gathering system a lot more boring than FF14's (which was my point).

Granted WoW's crafting system is kind of rewarding to yourself but not so much to make an actual profit from but anyone can do it and over the years it has become less specialised with fewer crafter only recipes.

Kintaro

Jinko said:
I did bring WoW up, not to argue about it, just to point out how tedious any gathering system is, I find WoW's gathering system a lot more boring than FF14's (which was my point).

Yes, gathering systems are tedious...so why add more tedious bullshit on top of it? That was my point. Keep it simple so you complete it and you move on. Keeping it simple will win out over any mini-game you attempt to slap on to it in a vain effort to make it "interactive" or "fun".

Teknoman

Those mage hats are actually handy since they still increase defense, but yeah, im sure most of the party problems still stem from not having proper equipment/people joining that are widely varied in level.

Dont most MMO parties depend on how fast they can kill monsters, making exp total gained higher than just soloing one monster?

Also mages need to learn how to hang back a little. I keep seeing mages in the field/small parties getting one shotted because they are right in the enemy's face.

Mining really is easy though: Atop the meter in a certain area, if it says you're getting closer, pick an area near the last point you stopped. If it gives you a message that indicates something is in that spot but you can dig it up yet, keep stopping the meter on that spot. Usually you'll get multiple items at once when successful.

EDIT: :lol what fan requested a golden subligar?

Zomba13

I think the one word that would best describe FFXI would be Subliger. I really hope they seriously do add Subligers to 14 for the nostalgia.

The equipment video was pretty awesome. Really cool to see how they got such different equip sets from 1 model. Much better than in XI where they were just recoloured or sometimes not even that.

I'll be on later if anyone wants to do leves or kill some sheep(ewes) on low rank jobs.

Edit: also about the mining/fishing stuff. I much prefer WoW's way (sorry for bringing it up again) for mining. It's simple, easy, and doesn't need it's own guid. It's just click the deposit, mine, get stuff but in 14 it's find a deposit, play minigame, maybe win at minigame, get stuff. Worst one is fishing imo. I could at least mine stuff with some success when I knew what was going on (it being hot and cold and the right spot not moving) but fishing seems 100% random. I caught 3 fish when I just instantly jig'd in the middle after casting and there are times when I have a fish on the hook but can't reel it in because the hot spot doesnt stay still and doesn't follow logic (the fish gains line when I pull right so if I pull left I should take in some line right? Not in Eorzea!)

Hopefully the fishing guide will help. Sorry for the mini rant. Just annoyed that the fishing isn't like in XI. I liked that, it was more active and fun and easy to understand!

LowParry

Teknoman said:
Those mage hats are actually handy since they still increase defense, but yeah, im sure most of the party problems still stem from not having proper equipment/people joining that are widely varied in level.

Dont most MMO parties depend on how fast they can kill monsters, making exp total gained higher than just soloing one monster?

Also mages need to learn how to hang back a little. I keep seeing mages in the field/small parties getting one shotted because they are right in the enemy's face.

Thaums I believe get some sort of benefit of being a bit closer to mobs for whatever reason. I'd imagin seeing them between melee and outside range (Archer/Conj) with groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom