• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

One things for sure if the open beta does open up Gridiania and Ul'dah I won't be spoiling Gridiania until release day.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
Becareful buying accessories, you are only allocated 12 slot points and each item costs 3 points each, so you can only wear 4 accessories although we have 9 slots in total... WHY SE WHY ?

That ability is quite neat.

o_O lets hope that number goes up as you get higher in rank. I had no idea there was a allocated slot point for equipment.

Khrno

Munba said:
I love this shot (famitsu has always exclusive screens lol)

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201008/images/00032177/DGXoz44Hjw35pkSSAPI34KNIF2kw27Gs.jpg

Btw, uldah seems very charming imo. A nice mix between sandoria and rabanastre..i'm coming to change my mind about starting city..

http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009287/20100816050/SS/058.jpg

You can't hotlink from Famitsu or 4gamer, that or there was something wrong with my connection, so I made them links for you.

Salaadin

LaneDS said:
Man, those shots make me forget, momentarily, all the problems I have with the game. Looks incredible.

I hate grinding!
I hate crafting!
I hate guildleves!
I hate mining!
Oooh! Pretty!!!!

oqww9c.jpg

lffa8.jpg

desu

Have to say I prefer the other cities much much more than the one we got in the beta so far. Hope we get to play them before the end of the beta.

Ul'dah is looking really plain, especially compared to Gridania and Limsa. I still plan on starting there but I hope the screens we've seen are just bad.

Salaadin

desu said:
Have to say I prefer the other cities much much more than the one we got in the beta so far. Hope we get to play them before the end of the beta.

They will be selectable in the open beta which starts early September.

Teknoman

Salaadin said:
They will be selectable in the open beta which starts early September.

I guess there will be another character wipe before open beta. Definitely starting in Ul'dah no matter what though.

hgplayer1

so did that emergency maintenance fix anything?

I stopped playing last night because of some run time error I got. logged in just now to give it a go and got the same error so looks like Im done for the night.

MomoPufflet said:
Ul'dah is looking really plain, especially compared to Gridania and Limsa. I still plan on starting there but I hope the screens we've seen are just bad.

Nah, I think that's pretty much what it's gonna look like. To me, Limsa has the most boring design. Maybe you just don't like Ul'dah? I'll admit the concept art was a lot more colorful, but I love this design so much, especially the architecture as seen from outside.

Londa

Banned
where do I put the files at?

Gromph, none of the files are registering after placing them into the patch folder.

Do you think SE renamed all the required files again?

I don't see the 3.35 GB files that is required for the Beta test in your patch folder.

Khrno

You place the update files here:

C:\Users\*user*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6

I don't think anything critical was changed this week tho.

Here is the 3.5GB file that you are looking for: http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/SquareEnix.rar

I think it's up to Aug 10, so you still have to download the last mini updates.

Mandoric

Banned
And there's my second 10.

What's the best way to find stuff for sale? Or is my time better used just leveling up my relevant crafts for now? Started on harvesting, which is fun but has gotten me an amazing assortment of junk that I can't make into mage armor.

Pacman2k

Hey guys. Just started on there, really have no idea what I am doing.

Name is Glissa Sunseeker and I am in Camp Bearded Rock... I think I am on the right server? Shadowlord.

Played a lot of 11 but its been a while. Linkshell would be nice if anyone can get to me.

Thanks!

gillty

Banned
Pacman2k said:
Hey guys. Just started on there, really have no idea what I am doing.

Name is Glissa Sunseeker and I am in Camp Bearded Rock... I think I am on the right server? Shadowlord.

Played a lot of 11 but its been a while. Linkshell would be nice if anyone can get to me.

Thanks!
Go to the atheryte crystal at bearded rock and activate your first guildleve, after that head back to town to the drowning wrench tavern in the central tower talk to either the dude at the glowing desk for more bearded rock guildleves OR talk to Balderon at the bar counter for a story quest.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ok scrags...my girlfriend is jumping in as she updates her PC so I guess that means I'll be in for the retail. =x Some of you guys should remember Jae. If you're not nice to her, I'll fuck your faces with my axe (=P).

Guess I'll hop in and try to see how the h2h looks...

Pacman2k

Valru said:
Go to the atheryte crystal at bearded rock and activate your first guildleve, after that head back to town to the drowning wrench tavern in the central tower talk to either the dude at the glowing desk for more bearded rock guildleves OR talk to Balderon at the bar counter for a story quest.

Thanks.

I think I broke something already. Every time I try to log in now I get this: "an error has occurred (40000)4"

:lol

LowParry

Been breaking from the game so that I can catch up on others before this starts up. I'll probably wait until the next big patch/open beta and try out the new cities. Fun times ahead!

hgplayer1

Teknoman said:
I keep getting tons of pms to add people to the LS. Dont we have more than one pearlsack person?

I think my linkshell list is broken. I can see all the names but I never see anyone on. Ive seen some people chatting in the ls chat but never looked at the list during those times.

Finally got in a satisfying play session tonight. Finished off some bearded rock leves after losing 2 earlier to crashes, then did some skull valley leves with a random guy. Got some good gear from those!

Has that Aleport always shown up on the map? Its south of Skull Valley.

Teknoman

hgplayer1 said:
I think my linkshell list is broken. I can see all the names but I never see anyone on. Ive seen some people chatting in the ls chat but never looked at the list during those times.

Finally got in a satisfying play session tonight. Finished off some bearded rock leves after losing 2 earlier to crashes, then did some skull valley leves with a random guy. Got some good gear from those!

Has that Aleport always shown up on the map? Its south of Skull Valley.

Hmm I guess i'll just try and grab those who still need one Wednesday evening.

Munba

This is a mastodontic job by ZAM, first Item Database (i dunno where the hell they found all the items.. maybe from SE directly): http://ffxiv.zam.com/db/itemlist.html?1&page=1

..finding interesting things :0

*checking the currency items*
Beastmen races so far: Ixal, Sylph, Kobold, Sahagin, Amali'ja, Qiqirn.

edit:
Interesting items: Nautical Maps, Goblin Sweetbox.

hgplayer1

NeoForte said:
Weird, I changed my resolution and now my UI is gone partially. I don't see the chat box and HP/MP bar. Anyway to reset them?

I had the same problem. Valru to the rescue!

Valru said:
Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\user\XXXXX(There are a few folders in here one will have the UI file)\UI

delete UI and the next time you launch it should be the correct size.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
News.
After FINAL FANTASY XIV's service has officially started, simultaneous players of both FINAL FANTASY XI and FINAL FANTASY XIV can enjoy a significant discount on their FINAL FANTASY XI monthly service fees, receive a FINAL FANTASY XIV in-game item, and transfer their FINAL FANTASY XI Player Character name to FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Info here

@Londa

You need to download

http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/ffxivsetup.exe

And install it.

Then download

http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/SquareEnix.rar

And extract to C:\Program Files?? to your FFXIV installation folder.

Then run the updater.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sadly, the name you get if your XI name with your server's name as the surname. For example, if Fairy was still around, it would be Kenshiro Fairy. >.> No thanks.

Atrus

Gold Member
Munba said:
This is a mastodontic job by ZAM, first Item Database (i dunno where the hell they found all the items.. maybe from SE directly): http://ffxiv.zam.com/db/itemlist.html?1&page=1

..finding interesting things :0

*checking the currency items*
Beastmen races so far: Ixal, Sylph, Kobold, Sahagin, Amali'ja, Qiqirn.

edit:
Interesting items: Nautical Maps, Goblin Sweetbox.

Notice that the Minimum Rank for the highest beastcoin is 95?
Given that the highest weapon rank I've seen is 50, and there are few weapons past 45 it appears that the vanilla game may cap at either 45 or 50. Probably 50 to keep it in line with vanilla FFXI, though there won't likely be enough items between 45 and 50 at the moment which hints at a later update.

Beastcoins at rank 95 appear to mean that those beastcoins will not be implemented on release. In fact, it likely means that there will be a tier of Beastmen which won't be implemented in the game at release and they'll likely be higher than rank 50 to fight just like those Platinum Beastcoin beastmen from FFXI which were all level 70ish.

GM Judge equipment is also in the game, made of luminium which means they'll likely be shimmering/glowing.

Oh and...
"Star-Spangled Subligar : A tight-fitting loinguard made of milk-white buffalo leather and decorated with tiny adamantium plates to reflect the light. The sexiest, sparkilest, shiniest leg armor in Eorzea."

Munba

Atrus said:
Beastcoins at rank 95 appear to mean that those beastcoins will not be implemented on release. In fact, it likely means that there will be a tier of Beastmen which won't be implemented in the game at release and they'll likely be higher than rank 50 to fight just like those Platinum Beastcoin beastmen from FFXI which were all level 70ish.

Beastcoins already dropped in beta though (saw in the bazaar):

beastcoin.jpg

Kweh

I wonder why they opted for a Forename + Surname approach, as the whole name transfer over from FFXI seems pretty awful.

Londa

Banned
Atrus said:
Notice that the Minimum Rank for the highest beastcoin is 95?
Given that the highest weapon rank I've seen is 50, and there are few weapons past 45 it appears that the vanilla game may cap at either 45 or 50. Probably 50 to keep it in line with vanilla FFXI, though there won't likely be enough items between 45 and 50 at the moment which hints at a later update.

GM Judge equipment is also in the game, made of luminium which means they'll likely be shimmering/glowing.

Oh and...
"Star-Spangled Subligar : A tight-fitting loinguard made of milk-white buffalo leather and decorated with tiny adamantium plates to reflect the light. The sexiest, sparkilest, shiniest leg armor in Eorzea."

Urg, its like that are trying top the lacy sublinger in FFXI. "sexiest" and "tight-fitting", just wow.

Husker86

Kweh said:
I wonder why they opted for a Forename + Surname approach, as the whole name transfer over from FFXI seems pretty awful.
I'm assuming to give people the chance to use popular names as first names and avoid the LionheartXXXIIVXXIs out there. And of course, to be different.

The best part about the surnames is that it essentially gives people at least double the chance to make a terrible character name. And the people (most players) who already had horrible names have the potential to make their character names four times worse.

Salaadin

Mister Zimbu said:
The best part about the surnames is that it essentially gives people at least double the chance to make a terrible character name. And the people (most players) who already had horrible names have the potential to make their character names four times worse.

Seph Iroth
Sep Hiroth
Sephi Roth

The possibilities are endless!

HappyBivouac said:
Nah, I think that's pretty much what it's gonna look like. To me, Limsa has the most boring design. Maybe you just don't like Ul'dah? I'll admit the concept art was a lot more colorful, but I love this design so much, especially the architecture as seen from outside.

That's my problem-- the concept art was awesome, but the execution is bland. There's no color or real texture like in the concept art. It looks lifeless. Where are the golden spires, colorful fabric, and expensive architecture? Everything is brown and flat like Whitegate 1.5. On the other hand the Limsa and Gridania concept art is much closer to the real thing. Gridania blows the others away in terms of attention to detail, which irritates me. I will still probably start in Ul'dah though because EVERYONE is going to be going to Gridania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom