• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Zimbu, try playing on another server just for a bit. The laggy menus and other issues really improved when I switched off Shadowlord over the weekend. It's a big change!

I'm thinking Shadowlord server is just using old hardware.

Munba

Shouta said:
AAAANNNND There's the lag again on Shadowlord.

R0 nightmare again? :/ Have you noticed if they really repaired (a bit at least) the lag while you change action abilities in the menu?

notworksafe

Londa said:
Gosh, why did Shadowlord become so popular? It was fine during Beta 2 when there was no world select lol.
I don't think it's population related. Shadowlord will lag even when there are only a few hundred online. That's why I think it's just old hardware.

Salaadin

Londa said:
This is how I would craft:

1. Select recipe
2. Always select Standard first.
3. When Standard doesn't give anymore progress I switch to rapid.
4. If Rapid when first selected doesn't give no results I go to Bold. If when Rapid gives positive results I keep selecting Rapid until it gives no results.
5. Once finishing with Rapid I would select Bold. If Bold doesn't give any results I go back to standard and repeat steps 1-5. If Bold gives results that are positive I continue with Bold until it gives no positive results and I go back to Standard, repeating steps 1-5.

* I never used the wait command. I only payed attention to the text and not the animation.

Ill give that shot, thanks :D

Mister Zimbu said:
Once again, I doubt any of us *hate* the game. If we did, we wouldn't still be playing the beta, and trust us, we would be a lot harsher on it.

We're "raging" not because it isn't like our favorite streamlined MMO. We're "raging" because it's not streamlined whatsoever.

The game as it stands now IS a mess. The actions menu is unusable and you have to rebind all your actions if you so much want to mine a node somewhere. The game is laggy as hell; the inventory menu is unusable because of this. Combat is oversimplified and repetitive (though it does get better around rank 15 for conjurer at least). Partying is completely broken. There's no economy to speak of as it's too much effort to find what you're looking for, and it's next to impossible to improve your gear because there's nowhere reasonably simple to buy it from. Gear degrades too fast and requires far too many repairs, especially considering that you need to find a player to repair it for you and there's something like 25 gear slots that you have to repair individually.

The above wouldn't normally huge issues considering it's a beta. The difference is that the game is one month out from release, these bugs have all been reported, and Square hasn't even acknowledged that ANY of the above are issues, let alone taken steps to fix them. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to be concerned about the state of this game at release.

Using macros to change jobs/re-bind abilities is the way to go. Youll never have to use the menus again to change.

The only drawback here is the considerable amount of lag or something in changing and rebinding. Your weapon change is immediate but then the abilties apply little by little, one by one. The action bar then doesnt update right away and if you try to attack anything before everything is rebinded, itll stop rebinding. If your mining, it wont let you mine until everything is done rebinding.

Because of this, its still a pain but Im assuming that the above falls into the "menu lag" category that theyre working on so hopefully it gets ironed out. Using macros at least stops you from using the slow menus and getting that "cant access data" error message.

Btw,

/equip main "weapon" is to change the weapon
/equip sub "weapon" is to change sub weapon

/eaction 1 "skill/ability" is to add to the action bar, just change the number of the slot you want to equip to. Also make sure that you keep the quotes around the weapons and abilities.

Londa

Banned
Salaadin said:

Using macros to change jobs/re-bind abilities is the way to go. Youll never have to use the menus again to change.

The only drawback here is the considerable amount of lag or something in changing and rebinding. Your weapon change is immediate but then the abilties apply little by little, one by one. The action bar then doesnt update right away and if you try to attack anything before everything is rebinded, itll stop rebinding. If your mining, it wont let you mine until everything is done rebinding.

Because of this, its still a pain but Im assuming that the above falls into the "menu lag" category that theyre working on so hopefully it gets ironed out. Using macros at least stops you from using the slow menus and getting that "cant access data" error message.

Btw,

/eaction 1 "skill/ability" is to add to the action bar, just change the number of the slot you want to equip to. Also make sure that you keep the quotes around the weapons and abilities.

You can also just do most of the crafting with Standard and Rapid until it seems the only other option to use is Bold. Sometimes Bold is just too risky to use.

Salaadin said:

Btw,

That's what I'm doing right now. And it's a problem for two reasons:

1) Macros are limited by line count, so to fully set up a system properly with more than 9 actions I'll need multiple macros per class, plus a general "unequip all actions" macro. No copy-paste sucks too.

2) I shouldn't have to do this to begin with. This isn't a MUD.

As a temporary workaround, like the fullscreen windowed mode, it IS much better though.

That's the real problem here is alot of people are suggesting that everyone use workarounds for basic issues instead of having Square fix the issues to begin with. I shouldn't have to work around their incompetence :).

Salaadin

Mister Zimbu said:
That's what I'm doing right now. And it's a problem for two reasons:

1) Macros are limited by line count, so to fully set up a system properly with more than 9 actions I'll need multiple macros per class, plus a general "unequip all actions" macro. No copy-paste sucks too.

2) I shouldn't have to do this to begin with. This isn't a MUD.

As a temporary workaround, like the fullscreen windowed mode, it IS much better though.

That's the real problem here is alot of people are suggesting that everyone use workarounds for basic issues instead of having Square fix the issues to begin with. I shouldn't have to work around their incompetence :).

I havent had the need for more than 9 actions so I didnt come across that issue yet. I guess we will see.

I dont think that macros are a workaround for SEs incompetence. They are there to be used precisely for this. Even if the menus were 100% perfect and lag free, Id still use macros because its easier to push a single button and have the game do the rest for you. For the most part (other than the delays I mention above), theyve worked for me. I dont know why anyone would want to use the menus when you can take 5 minutes and set up a macro or two to do it all for you.

To be honest though, I kinda wish the action bar didnt even exist. I liked FFXIs system where your macros basically were your action bar. /ja, /ws, whatever. It worked. The action bar in its current state just seems like a glorified but laggier version of the macro bar.

Khrno

Salaadin said:
I dont think that macros are a workaround for SEs incompetence. They are there to be used precisely for this. Even if the menus were 100% perfect and lag free, Id still use macros because its easier to push a single button and have the game do the rest for you. For the most part (other than the delays I mention above), theyve worked for me. I dont know why anyone would want to use the menus when you can take 5 minutes and set up a macro or two to do it all for you.

I do still hope that SE adjusts the class changing system by remembering the last abilities set tied to the weapon/class.

Jinko

Salaadin said:
To be honest though, I kinda wish the action bar didnt even exist. I liked FFXIs system where your macros basically were your action bar. /ja, /ws, whatever. It worked. The action bar in its current state just seems like a glorified but laggier version of the macro bar.

Can you not use the 14 macro's in the same way you can with 11's, I haven't played around with them tbh.

Personally I think the action bar is good, the lag is server side, when there is no lag the action bar can be very responsive, obviously pressing number keys will always be faster than scrolling through them with a d-pad/arrows.

Salaadin

Jinko said:
Can you not use the 14 macro's in the same way you can with 11's, I haven't played around with them tbh.

Personally I think the action bar is good, the lag is server side, when there is no lag the action bar can be very responsive, obviously pressing number keys will always be faster than scrolling through them with a d-pad/arrows.

I actually just saw this on the beta site. Mustve glossed over it the first time:

/action (/ac)
Performs a designated action on a designated character.
Cannot be used in areas where certain actions cannot be performed, or if you cannot remember the name of the action to perform.

Format:
/action [action name] [sub-command [target]

Sub-commands:
Main Hand (main) Performs an action equipped to the main hand.
Off Hand (sub) Performs an action equipped to the off hand.
Nothing Performs an action equipped to the main hand.

Example:
/action cure main me or /action cure me
Cures yourself with a Cure spell equipped to your main hand.

Note:
If you want to use an action equipped to your off hand, you will need to designate so with a sub-command.

Example:
/action shield bash sub [target]
If you want to use the action equipped to your off hand and you enter /action shield bash [target], the command will end in an error.

Sounds like its the replacement for /ja and /ws

gillty

Banned
Just a few tips on macros,

The Macro guide in the manual isn't all that accurate, also you for abilities make sure you have the proper capitalization ie "cure" vs "Cure"

Code:
Cure Myself
/action "Cure" main <me>

Archer Class
/equip main "Weathered Shortbow"
/equip pack "Warped Arrow"
/equipaction 10 "Close Shot"
/equipaction 6 "Raging Strike"
/equipaction 5 "Shadowbind"
/equipaction 4 "Concussive Blow"
/equipaction 3 "Puncture"
/equipaction 1 "Light Shot"
/equipaction 11 "Cure"

Botany
/equip main "Weathered Hatchet"
/equip sub "Bronze Scythe"
/equipaction 2 "Wrist Flick"
/equipaction 3 "Arbor Call II"
/equipaction 4 "Triangulate"

Jinko

Copied and pasted the above archer Macro and it craps out at action 3, does the same for my own macro with Pugilist.

Edit:- The macro get screwed up because of stuff like refil and shield which auto sets itself to the first free slot.

I don't see why they require Light Shot to go in slot 1 only either.

Why can't I get this to work.

/equip main "Weathered Hora"
/equipaction 3 "Rampart"
/equipaction 4 "Second Wind"
/equipaction 5 "Concussive Blow"
/equipaction 6 "Haymaker"
/equipaction 7 "Seismic Shock"
/equipaction 8 "Jarring Strike"

nataku

Still can't post on the beta forums. Replies or creating new topics. I sent an email to SE support and what do I get told? "Use the forums for FFXIV Beta support."

Brilliant.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Finished getting all the crystals available, from what I can find. Does anyone know how to unlock the more difficult leves beyond Camp Bloodshore? Is it level based?

Salaadin

nataku said:
Still can't post on the beta forums. Replies or creating new topics. I sent an email to SE support and what do I get told? "Use the forums for FFXIV Beta support."

Brilliant.

I cant either. When I log in, the name on the screen isnt even mine. Itll say "Welcome Blue Dreams" or something like that. IM NOT BLUE DREAMS!!!! :(

Khrno

Salaadin said:
I cant either. When I log in, the name on the screen isnt even mine. Itll say "Welcome Blue Dreams" or something like that. IM NOT BLUE DREAMS!!!! :(

That's a weird problem with the dev site. Are you all using the NA site? I just logged in my friends account to the site and everything works correctly, the EU site.

jiggle

i really need to start using macros

what's the macro to actually use the JA and MA?

anyone think the retainer will eventually join you in battle like in FFXI?

Salaadin

jiggle said:
i really need to start using macros

what's the macro to actually use the JA and MA?

I think its /action or /ac. I didnt try it yet but thats what it sounds like in the write up.

Khrno

jiggle said:

Joining in battle instead of keeping my items up for sale? Who does he think he is, the lazy bum.

To keep the realism at a reasonable level I'd prefer some other type of fellow NPC and leave the retainer as it is

Teknoman

Khrno said:
I do still hope that SE adjusts the class changing system by remembering the last abilities set tied to the weapon/class.

Actually that happens to me most of the time now. I havent had to change anything aside from a default action or two (the second standard attack you get).

Mister Zimbu said:
Once again, I doubt any of us *hate* the game. If we did, we wouldn't still be playing the beta, and trust us, we would be a lot harsher on it.

We're "raging" not because it isn't like our favorite streamlined MMO. We're "raging" because it's not streamlined whatsoever.

The game as it stands now IS a mess. The actions menu is unusable and you have to rebind all your actions if you so much want to mine a node somewhere. The game is laggy as hell; the inventory menu is unusable because of this. Combat is oversimplified and repetitive (though it does get better around rank 15 for conjurer at least). Partying is completely broken. There's no economy to speak of as it's too much effort to find what you're looking for, and it's next to impossible to improve your gear because there's nowhere reasonably simple to buy it from. Gear degrades too fast and requires far too many repairs, especially considering that you need to find a player to repair it for you and there's something like 25 gear slots that you have to repair individually.

The above wouldn't normally huge issues considering it's a beta. The difference is that the game is one month out from release, these bugs have all been reported, and Square hasn't even acknowledged that ANY of the above are issues, let alone taken steps to fix them. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to be concerned about the state of this game at release.

As far as the combat being simple or repetitive...I dunno about other classes, but Marauder and Gladiator seem pretty active. And Pugilist has you changing between light and heavy strikes depending on the situation (tank or DD). You can get your equipment repaired at least 50% by just visiting an NPC in hawkers alley. He'll repair everything equipped at once if possible.

Partying only seems broken because people are either not fighting decent enemies (lack of proper equipment is the culprit here) or with people that have wide ranges of job levels...or a combo of the two. We all know the game isnt going to release with no mid range armor in NPC shops. Gear degrade rate doesnt seem that fast, unless its just because i've been changing equip for whatever I can find.

EDIT: Retainers do have levels...so something like battle assist may happen at some point. Either that or just more inventory space :lol

Did anyone post the known issues for today? Seems like they are fixing LS member list as well.

--- Added 08/16/2010 --------

- A player is able to obtain more experience and skill points than what they are supposed to when defeating monsters weaker than them.

- FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version will shut down when a player enters a specific text after a auto-translate/auto-complete word.

- The character model of a player's Retainer will change in to a Hyur.

- Occasionally an error may occur during a synthesis related tutorial levequest and cause the player to forcefully log out of the game.

--- Added 08/16/2010 --------

- We have taken steps to alleviate the connection between a player and the server when they are making adjustments to their Action Bars.

- We have not been able to fully address the address the ongoing server outage issues, so we will continue to look in to it until the issue is completely resolved.

-- Added 08/16/2010 --------

- There are times when the chat filters may not work properly.
* If you are unable to see tells and/or linkshell chat, the issue may resolve by selecting "Restore Defaults" from the Chat Filter settings.

- The linkshell member list may not display properly if linkshell members are too far from the player that is trying to view the list.

Azrael

They really need a proper tutorial for the crafting system. I tried the two Blacksmith guildleves and failed miserably. The effect of using the different skills seems pretty random, and I'm not quite sure what causes sparks and instability either. If they're going to make players so dependent on crafting, at least the system shouldn't be so damn arcane. On the other hand, I liked the time I spent mining.

Teknoman

Azrael said:
They really need a proper tutorial for the crafting system. I tried the two Blacksmith guildleves and failed miserably. The effect of using the different skills seems pretty random, and I'm not quite sure what causes sparks and instability either. If they're going to make players so dependent on crafting, at least the system shouldn't be so damn arcane. On the other hand, I liked the time I spent mining.

It wont be as dependent as it is in the current beta phase. But yeah, the tutorial could stand to have its own display box instead of being in the chat log. I guess you should choose the wait option when things become unstable/chaotic. Standard synth is probably just to keep everything in check for basic synthing. Rapid is to try and hurry to completion, Bold is probably to go for HQ or +1 items.

jiggle

bloodforge said:
Are there not anymore quest you can do besides the main quest and the guildleves?

battlewarden quest starts every 30 minutes or sum'n

Salaadin said:
I think its /action or /ac. I didnt try it yet but thats what it sounds like in the write up.

thanks
just saw it was posted just few posts above too

when they say [target]
me is for self target
but what's for pt members and mobs?
is it simply [target]? like <t> in FFXI?

Salaadin

Londa said:
Salaadin: Did my method of crafting help you?

Just tried it. Made 2 bronze needles but then went to do Got Ingots for Bango Zango and failed all 3 synths.
I hit level 3 at least. Im not quite sure wtf I did wrong.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
- The linkshell member list may not display properly if linkshell members are too far from the player that is trying to view the list.[/i]

This is vague, do they mean.

That we can only view members that are close and its not working as intended.

or

That you should beable to view all members regardless of the area they are in and this is not working as intended.

I hope it isn't the first one because thats beyond retarded.

Jinko

Salaadin said:
Just tried it. Made 2 bronze needles but then went to do Got Ingots for Bango Zango and failed all 3 synths.
I hit level 3 at least. Im not quite sure wtf I did wrong.

Got Ingots is a Rank 5 level i think, so probably why you having a problem there.

Jinko

Salaadin said:
I could swear that it said rank 1 on the description. I know Premiums Paid is rank 5.

I could be wrong but I thought copper was rank 1 and bronze was rank 5.

FWIW I failed on Got Ingots aswell.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
This is vague, do they mean.

That we can only view members that are close and its not working as intended.

or

That you should beable to view all members regardless of the area they are in and this is not working as intended.

I hope it isn't the first one because thats beyond retarded.

Its most likely the second. No reason why it wouldnt work like it does in XI. Btw any clue what the new patch fixed? Tried to log on just now and it started a download. Oh and I really really hope that peaceful sounding music (plays during the update) thats similar to Aht Uhrgan whitegate is Ul'Dah's theme.

Nakazato said:
Tek did you ever get a shield ?

Well sorta...

grahamcracker.jpg

Salaadin

Jinko said:
I could be wrong but I thought copper was rank 1 and bronze was rank 5.

FWIW I failed on Got Ingots aswell.

I managed to get 80% on one of the synths but things went to shit after that and I dont know why. Every video I even watch of crafting almost seems random like theres no real rhyme or reason yet.

Londa, do you have FRAPs and can you record you crafting? Id like to see it to maybe mimic and see exactly what I did wrong.

I hope theres a small tutorial or outline given in the game on what everything means. I have no idea why it glows the way it does or what to do when it becomes unstable.

Teknoman

Salaadin said:
I managed to get 80% on one of the synths but things went to shit after that and I dont know why. Every video I even watch of crafting almost seems random like theres no real rhyme or reason yet.

Londa, do you have FRAPs and can you record you crafting? Id like to see it to maybe mimic and see exactly what I did wrong.

I hope theres a small tutorial or outline given in the game on what everything means. I have no idea why it glows the way it does or what to do when it becomes unstable.

When its unstable, select wait...or at least that seems to be what you should do.

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
Its most likely the second. No reason why it wouldnt work like it does in XI. Btw any clue what the new patch fixed? Tried to log on just now and it started a download. Oh and I really really hope that peaceful sounding music (plays during the update) thats similar to Aht Uhrgan whitegate is Ul'Dah's theme.

Well sorta...

grahamcracker.jpg
lol well i had bought one of the wood shields 4 you just incase :lol :lol

but i guess ill keep it 4 myself :p

So I just loaded up Phase 3 last night and what is up with the screen tearing?! It's pretty bad and was just about nonexistent during Phase 2.

Salaadin

fizzelopeguss said:
d3doverrider gave me serious mouse lag and assy framerate.

EDIT: in this game only i mean.

My framerate is mostly 30 in town and mostly 60 outside with obvious drops in high traffic areas.

I get the mouse lag too but I play with a controller.

Londa

Banned
Salaadin said:

Sure, I can do that. I'm about to go craft right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom