• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuGalz

Shouta said:
That was pretty useful until 11 or so. Shops in town didn't sell gear beyond that and didn't sell them for prices that were reasonable.

Lack of AH is a big no-no especially with the crafting system they want to use. Forcing players to search bazaars in the wards is outright dumb and a pain in the ass for the player. Plus the wards are cramped and tiny, too much trouble.

Plus the AH provides a decent in-game resource, an itemization list. We'll get to see what items are available to us in the game by using that (assuming it's the same style as FFXI). Otherwise, we'd have to rely on the fansites since they don't seem to want to add recipe books.

AH obviously make the game too easy. They should just provide bazaar search function and only tell you which district that retainer resides in and you have to walk there, find the retainer in order to purchase the item. If someone buys it before you get there, that's too bad.

notworksafe

RuGalz said:
AH obviously make the game too easy. They should just provide bazaar search function and only tell you which district that retainer resides in and you have to walk there, find the retainer in order to purchase the item. If someone buys it before you get there, that's too bad.
PNwRv.jpg

hgplayer1

Wow went all night without one single crash. Server seemed to be pretty solid tonight. I still dont see much activity in the LS. Then again I never said hello when I logged in. :lol

nataku

Obviously we should all just go back to spamming our wares in the general channel like we used to back in East Commons in EQ.

Shit, with no search option, people might actually end up doing that anyway. I look forward to the constant sale spam in cities. You haven't seen chat spam until you played a game without an AH.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
No AH, no hardware mouse and Guildleves will stay at 48 hour cooldown? I bet the windows key and alt+tab won't work either...

993m8w.jpg

Kintaro said:
No AH, no hardware mouse and Guildleves will stay at 48 hour cooldown? I bet the windows key and alt+tab won't work either...

http://i25.tinypic.com/993m8w.jpg

They work, just crashes the game.

I'm really confused, they are trying to attract solo players but all they have to do is guildleves that may take up at most an hour every 48hours and then end up having to grind random mobs for exp. That is not going to keep solo players happy.

Why they couldn't do a quest system like most of the other competent MMO's out is just baffling to me. I mean they have such a large area and there's really nothing in it.

Shouta

Teknoman said:
One thing i've always wondered, how did people figure out how much an item should go for on the AH?

They didn't most of the time, they'd just shoot in the dark and hope someone would be X amount. In some cases though, it was a matter of how much the materials costed.

Alex

I'm really confused

This is a common sentiment. I'm not so much upset at anything as I am highly confused as to how this happened.

A very close friend of mine who I perma duo'd with back in FFXI, and who I bummed beta off of (and who plays WAY too many MMOs), was just completely gobsmacked by the entire process.

It's going to be incredibly interesting to watch what happens with this game at launch and how it's lifespan/evolution works out.

I played around with fishing for a while, and did not catch a dang thing. From what I've played, the DOH & DOL classes seem like they will take a much longer time to level than DOW & DOM classes. More patience than I've got that's for sure. Maybe I'll just wait for guides to hit down the road :/.

gillty

Banned
Classic_Gs said:
I played around with fishing for a while, and did not catch a dang thing. From what I've played, the DOH & DOL classes seem like they will take a much longer time to level than DOW & DOM classes. More patience than I've got that's for sure. Maybe I'll just wait for guides to hit down the road :/.
I had the same problem with Fishing, Botanist is not like that at all and seems to level just as fast as any of the DoW/DoM classes I've ranked up.

Khrno

Classic_Gs said:
I played around with fishing for a while, and did not catch a dang thing. From what I've played, the DOH & DOL classes seem like they will take a much longer time to level than DOW & DOM classes.

From my experience, I think it just based on luck, and if you manage to get the idea of each class. For example I was trying both Miner and Botanist, I flew with the Miner in a relative short time and got around rank 16, got lots of shinny stuff and tons of exp (besides rank points). However I couldn't grasp being a Botanist at all, and in the end I gave up after several hours trying to find the trick.

gillty

Banned
Khrno said:
From my experience, I think it just based on luck, and if you manage to get the idea of each class. For example I was trying both Miner and Botanist, I flew with the Miner in a relative short time and got around rank 16, got lots of shinny stuff and tons of exp (besides rank points). However I couldn't grasp being a Botanist at all, and in the end I gave up after several hours trying to find the trick.
Botany is pretty simple:

1)you first pick if you want to aim for accuracy or take out a massive chunk
2) then you hit one of 5 regions (the first is a guess) after that its a game of hot or cold

2hxx3ck.png

Khrno

Valru said:
Botany is pretty simple:

1)you first pick if you want to aim for accuracy or take out a massive chunk
2) then you hit one of 5 regions (the first is a guess) after that its a game of hot or cold

http://i37.tinypic.com/2hxx3ck.png

Well, Mining is basically the same, but somehow I just didn't have good eye for Botany.

That's an interesting pic tho.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
IonicSnake said:
Very beautiful environments, I sense hype rising again.

They need to post a video after every interview to do that :lol :lol :lol :lol

Husker86

Has anyone tried to use an Xbox 360 controller with play and charge cable with this game? It installs on my PC fine and shows up in device manager but the FFXIV Config utility says no gamepad found. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Munba

4Gamer.net Interview (source ZAM):

* Many players are still requesting faster battles and quicker action, and the developers are working on fulfilling their wishes.
* So far, players are very happy with the ease of solo play. In FFXI, players complained they couldn't get parties, but in FFXIV, they don't even bother trying to join one.
* New types of Guildleve quests will open up for players as they increase in level.
* The open beta phase will last about 2-3 weeks. Tanaka believes they will be able to handle several hundred thousand players.
* The game currently has 10 servers, with more possibly planned for when service begins in September.
* The distance between each city-state is very far, allowing players to really explore the vast landscape of Eorzea for the first time. Getting to and from Limsa-Lominsa will require access to a ship.
* Once the open beta is complete, all data will be deleted. However the developers are hoping to allow players to retain their names for the release version.
* The game has been designed in a way that players cannot monopolize certain monsters in an area.
* A new version of the benchmark software is under development.

I think open beta 2-3 weeks is too much. Thinking also it'll be very limited.

notworksafe

Munba said:
I think open beta 2-3 weeks is too much. Thinking also it'll be very limited.
Too much? Don't be ridiculous. If anything, this game needs much more testing time then it is currently getting.

Munba

I didn't mean that. I wanted to say that maybe it was better to make last more closed beta.. A sort of convenience for them because i don't think they have the 'magic version' to put when OB will start.

Salaadin

notworksafe said:
Too much? Don't be ridiculous. If anything, this game needs much more testing time then it is currently getting.

I agree. I worry that the little bit we have to actually test right now is all we will be getting at launch which isnt enough imo. I have a hard time thinking that theres going to be much more content on launch day that we havent already seen yet.

I actually think an open beta that gives us access to everything before launch is a bad idea now. A lot of us are going to check the new stuff during the open beta, see the new sights, new cities, and just explore so much that when the final game comes out, we wont feel the need to do it. We will then be eager to jump into the actual content and from the sounds of it, theres not going to be too much.

I mean, I guess I could always skip the open beta to keep it fresh. Who knows what ill do at this point.

I really, really hope Im wrong.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, I guess the LS should start a schedule on when to do battle leves as a group since that's all they are good for now.

Then start planning for activities after that first month is over and the LS population drops by 1/2 to 2/3s.

<looks at FFXIVcore interview again...>

20qf8me.jpg

Sin

Just noticed that this is the Garlean airship and the dragon from the battle we have seen in the previous CG trailers.

2zp8g82.jpg

Borman

Fileplanet needs to get their keys dammit. Getting tired of waiting for days on end just to see if my computer will run the game and what I should do to upgrade.

Teknoman

Many players are still requesting faster battles and quicker action, and the developers are working on fulfilling their wishes.

Damn, just how fast do they want the battles to be?

Teknoman said:
Many players are still requesting faster battles and quicker action, and the developers are working on fulfilling their wishes.

Ninja Gaiden fast! :lol

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:

I was thinking the same thing. Now if they changed it to..

"Many players are still requesting faster menus and quicker targeting, and the developers are working on fulfilling their wishes."

I'd understand...

notworksafe

* So far, players are very happy with the ease of solo play. In FFXI, players complained they couldn't get parties, but in FFXIV, they don't even bother trying to join one.
Success? Not sure why this is a good thing.

falastini

* Many players are still requesting faster battles and quicker action, and the developers are working on fulfilling their wishes.

I don't get that either. There are more pressing complaints then making the combat faster. All the DoW classes I tried so far, I'm constantly pressing buttons.

I don't think people are not grouping because soloing is so good. It's more a testament of how bad grouping is... searching/organizing a group is a pain, the group mechanics seem wonky (especially enmity, though at this level it's hard to tell how bad), there is no added benefit to grouping up (higher rewards, exp, etc..), and the way the mobs are dispersed across the zones it's not beneficial to group grinding.

* New types of Guildleve quests will open up for players as they increase in level.

I hope they offer a good variety. As of right now everything is just a fetch and kill quest, with the occasional "chase the last mob a bit then kill it".

Salaadin

notworksafe said:
Success? Not sure why this is a good thing.

That quote baffles me. It doesnt specify whether or not they think its good or bad. They just acknowledge that its there. I tried to make sense of the exact quote using google translate and it sounds like hes saying theyll be adjusting it but who knows.

This is the actual Japanese interview if someone who knows Japanese wants to give it a shot:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009287/20100819064/

gillty

Banned
falastini said:

I hope they offer a good variety. As of right now everything is just a fetch and kill quest, with the occasional "chase the last mob a bit then kill it".
There are actually a few leves at Bloodshore revolving around the Zikko mobs that cloak as other mobs. In one of them you have to kill other certain firefly mobs that give you a 1 time use item used to detect via the main menu the Zikko.

notworksafe

falastini said:
I don't think people are not grouping because soloing is so good. It's more a testament of how bad grouping is... searching/organizing a group is a pain, the group mechanics seem wonky (especially enmity, though at this level it's hard to tell how bad), there is no added benefit to grouping up (higher rewards, exp, etc..), and the way the mobs are dispersed across the zones it's not beneficial to group grinding.
Yeah I've just been soloing because the few times I've grouped have been a disaster. Pretty much any caster can rip a mob off me with one spell cast, and it's damn tough to get it back.

Teknoman

Well as a guy opposed to camping, im glad monsters are spread out (there are some areas with dense populations, and once equipment/ hate building is sorted out, should be no problem).

Londa

Banned
I have no problem fighting more than one mob at a time. Its not like in FFXI where you can only hit one target at a time with a weapon and the only people who can hit more than one target at a time are casters. I just wish my Mar has a WS that let me hit targets all around me.

Salaadin

Londa said:
I have no problem fighting more than one mob at a time. Its not like in FFXI where you can only hit one target at a time with a weapon and the only people who can hit more than one target at a time are casters. I just wish my Mar has a WS that let me hit targets all around me.

I know of one MAR ws that hits multiple targets. I dont know if its "all around you" like you want but I know it hits others because it got me killed when I used it near a sheep.

I cant remember the name though. The description says that it hits multiples though.

LaneDS

I think players just don't want such a long cooldown for abilities. Too much "this action cannot be performed". You've got this constantly filling stamina bar that you can't utilize properly because of ability cooldowns, and that beeping noise (which I know you can at least disable somehow) is pretty annoying.

I was glad to hear they're working on UI and menu lag in that interview from yesterday. That is probably what I find most frustrating about the experience so far, so it's good to hear they're on it (supposedly).

And yes, super pretty locations but that should shock no one... it's always been pretty clear the game is artistically and musically great, at least for me.

Londa

Banned
Salaadin said:
I know of one MAR ws that hits multiple targets. I dont know if its "all around you" like you want but I know it hits others because it got me killed when I used it near a sheep.

I cant remember the name though. The description says that it hits multiples though.

I know that WS but if I am fighting a party of mobs. I would like to hit a WS that doesn't just hit in a cone shape. I want it to hit from behind and on the sides of me.

Salaadin

Londa said:
I know that WS but if I am fighting a party of mobs. I would like to hit a WS that doesn't just hit in a cone shape. I want it to hit from behind and on the sides of me.

Yeah that would be nice. A two handed, 360 degree swoop with the axe.
Theres gotta be something like that.

Londa

Banned
Salaadin said:
Yeah that would be nice. A two handed, 360 degree swoop with the axe.
Theres gotta be something like that.

Kind of like how Link would do the spinning sword attack if you charged up his attack by holding the button down longer.

Teknoman said:
"Many players are still requesting faster battles and quicker action, and the developers are working on fulfilling their wishes."

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that. I don't understand what people are expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom