• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

Munba said:
* Many players are still requesting faster battles and quicker action, and the developers are working on fulfilling their wishes.

I really hope this includes the whole process, and not just fighting, as in targeting - locking on - entering active mode.

Amneisac

I've cancelled my preorder :( I actually built a new PC for this, but I'm just not at all excited by most of what I'm hearing. I'm sure I'll play it one day but there will be plenty of other good games to play at the time this releases and it sounds like the game could only get better after launch.

Londa

Banned
Amneisac said:
I've cancelled my preorder :( I actually built a new PC for this, but I'm just not at all excited by most of what I'm hearing. I'm sure I'll play it one day but there will be plenty of other good games to play at the time this releases and it sounds like the game could only get better after launch.

I know this will come off cold hearted but I'm getting tired of these extreme reactions.

It is not SE's fault you bought a whole new PC to play their game without waiting until release or testing the game to really know if its the game you want to play. You did it to yourself. I also do not understand how people will base their decision on a game off other people's opinion(might be because I've never been one to follow the crowd). Like everyone will like what you like. There are tons of games that get bad press but are a joy to play. Your fault for letting the media and people you have never meet before decide on what you will buy.

Generally:
No one will be crying if someone cancel's their preorder. I know I won't. More game for others to enjoy is how I always see it.

As convinced as I am that the launch is going to be pretty bad, and contain the same issues that are here in the current beta (due to Square's staunch stubbornness in refusing to do anything remotely sane), I would still wait until the open beta before you cancel your preorder or anything like that, where you can then try the game for yourself.

asdad123

Im surprised how well this actually runs on my laptop. Im getting around 30 fps average at 1600x900. When Im out in the plains with not many people near me, Im getting 40 to 45 and in towns im getting low 20s.

For a 14 inch laptop, Im so happy with this. The performance should only get better with the release.

I even played for an hour in my car yesterday while waiting for someone (they were stuck at work late) while tethering my Iphone and it played well. Guess classes might not be too boring this semester :lol

Zomba13

Mister Zimbu said:
As convinced as I am that the launch is going to be pretty bad, and contain the same issues that are here in the current beta (due to Square's staunch stubbornness in refusing to do anything remotely sane), I would still wait until the open beta before you cancel your preorder or anything like that, where you can then try the game for yourself.
This 100%. Every MMO has problems day 1, some more than others but there will always be problems new and old that will still be there day 1. What matters is how quickly the devs fix them. SE seem pretty competent during this beta, maybe not as good as they should be (everyone wants hardware mouse and have done since forever, why not give it now?). I'd say wait until the open beta to see the next big batch of fixes (and breaks) SE makes before cancelling anything.

Londa said:
I know this will come off cold hearted but I'm getting tired of these extreme reactions.

It is not SE's fault you bought a whole new PC to play their game without waiting until release or testing the game to really know if its the game you want to play. You did it to yourself. I also do not understand how people will base their decision on a game off other people's opinion(might be because I've never been one to follow the crowd). Like everyone will like what you like. There are tons of games that get bad press but are a joy to play. Your fault for letting the media and people you have never meet before decide on what you will buy.

Generally:
No one will be crying if someone cancel's their preorder. I know I won't. More game for others to enjoy is how I always see it.

Don't worry. Nobody's trying to make you cry by saying they canceled their pre-order.

I'm pretty sure he's basing his decision on what the developers themselves have said in recent interviews, not just following the crowd as you so eloquently put it.

I'm not canceling mine. I expect to enjoy the game while putting up with a lot of shit until it gets sorted out. FFXI/FFXIV team made one of my favorite games of all time (not to mention key members made some of my other favorite games of all time) so I fully expect this game to completely kick ass when all is said and done. I just think it could use a bit more time on the burner. That's pretty much the common sentiment here. I don't think many people in this thread think the game will flat out suck for all eternity.

notworksafe

Londa said:

Generally:
I love how you always respond like someone kicked your puppy. He's just stating that he cancelled it because of the rough outlook for launch. I don't blame him. If you don't want to deal with launch issues, there's no point in preordering.

I'm buying early for the +skill goggles because I already know I'll be lagging behind everyone as far as leveling and skill stuff goes.

Londa

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Don't worry. Nobody's trying to make you cry by saying they canceled their pre-order.

I'm pretty sure he's basing his decision on what the developers themselves have said in recent interviews, not just following the crowd as you so eloquently put it.

I'm not canceling mine. I expect to enjoy the game while putting up with a lot of shit until it gets sorted out. FFXI/FFXIV team made one of my favorite games of all time (not to mention key members made some of my other favorite games of all time) so I fully expect this game to completely kick ass when all is said and done. I just think it could use a bit more time on the burner. That's pretty much the common sentiment here. I don't think many people in this thread think the game will flat out suck for all eternity.

Never did I say I'd be the one crying. My own point was, no one will care who cancels or keeps their preorder.

Khrno

Talking about pre-orders, I just noticed the following in many UK sites:

- The CE comes with the bonus Onion Helm, accelerate character recovery after falling in battle.

Play.com - Amazon - GAME

widget_FFIXV_img.jpg

- The SE comes with the Garlond Goggles, provide players an increase in the speed of skill progression in-game.

Play.com - Amazon - GAME

w_ffxiv_img.jpg

I thought the CE would have like all the goodies in them, but in none of the CE pages, say anything about the goggles, so I'm rather confused now.

Zomba13

Khrno said:

- The CE comes with the bonus Onion Helm, accelerate character recovery after falling in battle.

Play.com - Amazon - GAME

widget_FFIXV_img.jpg

- The SE comes with the Garlond Goggles, provide players an increase in the speed of skill progression in-game.

Play.com - Amazon - GAME

w_ffxiv_img.jpg

I thought the CE would have like all the goodies in them, but in none of the CE pages, say anything about the goggles, so I'm rather confused now.

SE decided that only Standard Edition get the goggles as they are supposed to even up the playing field from the CE users who got the head start.

notworksafe

There was an article where it was clarified (looking for it now) but Square said the two bonuses were totally separate, iirc. Helm just for CE, Goggles just for SE. I guess it's to help SE players catch up to the CE headstart? I believe the Goggles have charges on them, much like the XP rings from XI.

Khrno

Zomba13 said:
SE decided that only Standard Edition get the goggles as they are supposed to even up the playing field from the CE users who got the head start.

Ah fuck me. Hope that some of this sites actually send the codes before the SE is released, so I can cancel it before it's sent. If not then it'll be a £65 launch for me, plus some more in March for the PS3 ver.

Zomba13

Anyone know what this Surplus skill is for? A lot of people are complaining about it and they don't know what it is.

Londa said:
Never did I say I'd be the one crying. My own point was, no one will care who cancels or keeps their preorder.

Yes, and nobody's trying to make anyone care. Saying he canceled his preorder doesn't mean he's trying to spread hate for the game. The fact that you even brought up the topic of people crying over it shows your failure to understand where people are coming from.

I've been having to reiterate this over and over. Nobody is raging or hating on the game or anything. People simply want the game to do well and to enjoy it. If some elect not to spend their money on a pre-order, it doesn't mean they're running around shouting "this game will suck don't buy it omg!!!"

HappyBivouac said:
Yes, and nobody's trying to make anyone care. Saying he canceled his preorder doesn't mean he's trying to spread hate for the game. The fact that you even brought up the topic of people crying over it shows your failure to understand where people are coming from.

I've been having to reiterate this over and over. Nobody is raging or hating on the game or anything. People simply want the game to do well and to enjoy it. If some elect not to spend their money on a pre-order, it doesn't mean they're running around shouting "this game will suck don't buy it omg!!!"

To be fair, I have been handing out fliers outside my local GameStop(s).

Khrno

HappyBivouac said:
Nobody is raging or hating on the game or anything. People simply want the game to do well and to enjoy it. If some elect not to spend their money on a pre-order, it doesn't mean they're running around shouting "this game will suck don't buy it omg!!!"

That might be true, but for bystanders, that pops into any of the threads and skims the last pages will just find himself with several negative comments and some of them do give the impression of being hating on the game from an external point of view. It's like 90-95% of the people here are just trying to overstate the cons over the pros, and not in a critical constructive way but in a negative way.

So people might not be handing out hate fliers outside their local Hooters, but their certainly not inviting anyone to try the game with their attitudes.

Burli

Pringo
Khrno said:
I really hope this includes the whole process, and not just fighting, as in targeting - locking on - entering active mode.

Yeah I think it's more the smoothness of battles as opposed to the 'speed' - for one the whole delay on getting your weapons out while having to stop really gives them a clunky feel.

Haint

Khrno said:

Play.com - Amazon - GAME

widget_FFIXV_img.jpg

Play.com - Amazon - GAME

w_ffxiv_img.jpg

Off the top of my head--to get all the special items I'm ware of--you'd have to buy:

Onion Helm------------Collectors Edition: $75
Goggles----------------Standard Edition: $50
Hermes Boots---------1 Month of FFXI: $13
Gauntlets(?)-----------PS3 FFXIII at launch(?): $60

Grand total: ~$200

My guess is they will all be worthless charge based items--e.g. 5 or 10 uses total, 1 use per several RL days--something like that.

Londa

Banned
HappyBivouac said:

Even a idiot could see some of the negativity in here and across any FFXIV fansite. Because people from different MMO's come and want to recreate SE's MMO into their ideal game. But when SE said no that is when people started to rage.

Velion

Londa said:
Even a idiot could see some of the negativity in here and across any FFXIV fansite. Because people from different MMO's come and want to recreate SE's MMO into their ideal game. But when SE said no that is when people started to rage.

But it seems you're the only one taking their comments to the heart.

So what do you expect? Everyone to say the game is perfect and should be released as it is? People are simply saying the game may need more development time and rather not spend their cash on a game they aren't 100% sure about.

Reallink said:
Off the top of my head--to get all the special items I'm ware of--you'd have to buy:

Onion Helm------------Collectors Edition: $75
Goggles----------------Standard Edition: $50
Hermes Boots---------1 Month of FFXI: $13
Gauntlets(?)-----------PS3 FFXIII at launch(?): $60

Grand total: ~$200

My guess is they will all be worthless charge based items--e.g. 5 or 10 uses total, 1 use per several RL days--something like that.

It's worth noting that you most likely won't be able to get both the helm and the goggles on the same account. The item is probably linked to the account key that comes in the box. I guess it could be an in-game voucher though.

Londa

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Negative responses and criticism != rage or hate.

Negative responses do equal hate.

Someone saying :
this MMO is fail because it will not adapt to mainstream features in So-in-So MMO"

Is not criticism it is a fanboy of another MMO trying to convince people that their favorite type of game is the standard and that other games in the genre should fall in line.

But it seems you're the only one taking their comments to the heart.

So what do you expect? Everyone to say the game is perfect and should be released as it is? People are simply saying the game may need more development time and rather not spend their cash on a game they aren't 100% sure about.

Actually I'm not taking anything to heart. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm behind my computer asking god why they hate FFXIV.

Um no, there is almost nothing but extreme rage reactions everytime a new Beta and Alpha version is released because SE didnt fix this or that! So they will NEVER DO IT. OMG its doom to fail! Jump Ship! IF it doesn't sale like WoW its fails! FFXIV and Everquest are failers and this game will be too!

lmao.

Husker86

Londa said:

Or people are playing the beta and assuming it's going to be like that at release and are disappointed because of that. The beta is a laggy mess, but it's not a demo and I'm doing my best to keep my own thoughts in that direction. Especially since I've never played other MMO betas so they could have been just as unfinished as this one.

notworksafe

Yes, there's been overreation. Welcome to the Internet. However it does go both ways. There's just as many fanboys/girls. There are also plenty of people in the middle or people with good criticism.

Londa said:
Negative responses do equal hate.
Oh dear. :lol

Husker86 said:
Or people are playing the beta and assuming it's going to be like that at release and are disappointed because of that. The beta is a laggy mess, but it's not a demo and I'm doing my best to keep my own thoughts in that direction. Especially since I've never played other MMO betas so they could have been just as unfinished as this one.
Or Square has confirmed that some of the issues that players have are still going to be around at launch. But hey, who plays PC games with a mouse or uses Auction Houses in an MMO...right?

Londa said:
Um no, there is almost nothing but extreme rage reactions everytime a new Beta and Alpha version is released because SE didnt fix this or that! So they will NEVER DO IT.
Again, mouse. They say that they have no plan to use a hardware mouse at all with no explanation as to why.

nataku

Londa said:

Don't take everything so personally. Just because someone is disappointed in the direction the game took, or that certain features aren't complete, or are being pushed aside altogether doesn't mean they're "raging". Your definition of raging is a little off.

Despite what you think, it's not all unicorns and rainbows in FFXIV. The game has problems, some of which are pretty serious. It seems beyond you to be able to admit that, though. People have every right to express their disappointment in a game when it's not going in a direction they like, especially when SE makes changes or puts in features that go against what they originally said they want the game to be.

Honestly, Londa, if anyone is "raging" it's you.

Londa

Banned
nataku said:
Don't take everything so personally. Just because someone is disappointed in the direction the game took, or that certain features aren't complete, or are being pushed aside altogether doesn't mean they're "raging". Your definition of raging is a little off.

Despite what you think, it's not all unicorns and rainbows in FFXIV. The game has problems, some of which are pretty serious. It seems beyond you to be able to admit that, though. People have every right to express their disappointment in a game when it's not going in a direction they like, especially when SE makes changes or puts in features that go against what they originally said they want the game to be.

Honestly, Londa, if anyone is "raging" it's you.

Thank you, i just had one of the best laughs in 2 weeks. :D

I know its crazy and being all a rebel and stuff for actually posting in a thread and you know, I don't know, actually liking the game and not solely complaining about the flaws. Yeah, I know that is chaotic and crazy to do here but I don't really care.

I haven't solely said I love the game 100% I already complained about the controls 5 pages ago and I said they made crafting harder. So I don't need to repeat it on every page just to make sure everyone knows the game has a flaw! Because this game should be perfect even in Alpha :lol .

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So far, players are very happy with the ease of solo play. In FFXI, players complained they couldn't get parties, but in FFXIV, they don't even bother trying to join one.

That is not anything even close to what I wanted to hear...

_tetsuo_ said:
So far, players are very happy with the ease of solo play. In FFXI, players complained they couldn't get parties, but in FFXIV, they don't even bother trying to join one.

But it's pretty accurate.

As the game stands now, not only does the game not encourage you to party, it actively penalizes you for it.

notworksafe

Mister Zimbu said:

As the game stands now, not only does the game not encourage you to party, it actively discourages it.
Hey man! Why are you raging?! Everyone here is just totally against this game! Just because it can't be like some other MMO for easy mode players means it is a fail of a game? People like you are what ruin all MMO game with your rage and hate over issue that don't even matter! Partying is for easy mode WoW noobs anyway. Real MMO players like the challenge of solo play.

Teknoman

_tetsuo_ said:

Its sorta true for now. No decent equipment options in this phase of the beta = soloing is best. Partying would be great for beating down the stronger enemies, but even if you can do a decent amount of damage with the stuff you currently have, they'll hit you alot harder and take you down faster, since there arent any easily obtainable post lvl 1 weapons, and armor is here and there.

The party search system/rcruit does still need work...however, you can still manually invite people nearby with ease.

Alex

Londa, why do you keep spazzing out at people making calm, detailed statements while you ignore every ounce of substance in their posts and go for awkward strawman arguements instead? I have to give you credit though, at least you're consistent in your utter joke character-esque insanity.

Khrno said:
That might be true, but for bystanders, that pops into any of the threads and skims the last pages will just find himself with several negative comments and some of them do give the impression of being hating on the game from an external point of view. It's like 90-95% of the people here are just trying to overstate the cons over the pros, and not in a critical constructive way but in a negative way.

So people might not be handing out hate fliers outside their local Hooters, but their certainly not inviting anyone to try the game with their attitudes.

While I greatly enjoyed XI, have been looking forward to this for years, and very much want the game to succeed, gaming has enough cheerleading and apologists.

Right now there's a lot to call out. There's so much to correct even on core systems. Partying, archetype design and enmity to the complete lack of content with gigantic leve cooldowns and limited behests, making for such a sparse world and encouraging grinding that is wildly less cohesive and entertaining than FFXI.

Also, right now, there's not a lot of good, new things to talk about other than the world design and visuals from previews. Which are great, Vana'diel was great and Eorzea being great as well was probably a common sentiment to look forward to. It's just not enough to just have a pretty world.

I'm still buying it though, and holding out some hope. Honestly, I can forgive (but shouldn't) silliness like alt-tab omission, and bad controls/customization, missing AHs, etc if there's enough content, contextual substance to the world and I can actually group and play one of the classes I want without feeling crushed.

Burli

Pringo
For me at least, I was hoping that FFXIV would address issues that made it so I could no longer play FFXI. I used to love FFXI but there was so much ridiculous archaic game design in that game that it literally took ruining my real-life to advance, which I wasn't happy to do.

FFXIV addresses problems I had with FFXI, but as people are saying - there's a lot of stuff that really doesn't look promising, and judging by answers we've been given in interviews, it really looks like their thinking will be just the way it was with FFXI, a game which in today's standards of MMO's essentially fails.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Mister Zimbu said:

As the game stands now, not only does the game not encourage you to party, it actively penalizes you for it.

What? How? That's the kind of bullshit I fucking hate. The game should be solo friendly, but don't penalize people for playing a massively multiplayer online game with their friends or with other people.

notworksafe

Spire said:
What? How? That's the kind of bullshit I fucking hate. The game should be solo friendly, but don't penalize people for playing a massively multiplayer online game with their friends or with other people.
You actually get less XP for grouping than just going at it solo. :lol

Burli

Pringo
notworksafe said:
You actually get less XP for grouping than just going at it solo. :lol

I actually find the irony of this compared to FFXI really funny. They went a little overboard there.

Teknoman said:
Is that from fighting green ranked enemies or red?

Green.

As far as I can tell you're not supposed to fight Red ranked enemies when grouped - the colors that the mob cons changes based on your group makeup.

Fighting "Red" mobs in a group would be akin to fighting the Qufim crabs at level 10 in FFXI.

Spire said:

Teknoman said:
Its sorta true for now. No decent equipment options in this phase of the beta = soloing is best. Partying would be great for beating down the stronger enemies, but even if you can do a decent amount of damage with the stuff you currently have, they'll hit you alot harder and take you down faster, since there arent any easily obtainable post lvl 1 weapons, and armor is here and there.

The party search system/rcruit does still need work...however, you can still manually invite people nearby with ease.

Basically what he said. Except he neglected to mention the fact that if you somehow manage to survive all this, you get 1/5 the experience points that you would get from fighting from a equally difficult mob solo and slightly less skill points if you're a melee DPS, or significantly less (usually zero) if you're a caster.

Working as intended, of course.

edit: Oops, meant this as an edit to the post above this one.

Alex

Of all things I wouldn't want them to adapt from other modern MMO's, it'd be soloing. I think it should be an option, a way to eek by when you need to, and always have something to do solo, but I want to group. Be it leveling, PvP, end game, side content, whatever.

More than anything I hope the group functionality is tuned properly for launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom