• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
CcrooK said:
If the game turns into a solo-fest, I'm out.

Ya, that is something I didn't want to see in this game. Really hope I can get this beta key from fileplanet to test it out....

jiggle

_tetsuo_ said:
What is a Leve, now?

leve, aka quests
the skill/experience points you get from doing them are dramatically higher than fighting regular mobs

when soloing, from my experience
a green (Even match?) mob earns around 230-450xp, and 0-200sp
usually on the low ends

in leve
a much easier mob can earn similar, if not double, that amount, sometimes even more
zomba was getting over 1000, to 1200 sp last night iirc

to put the points in perspective
i need 20216 sp to hit rank 21
75296 xp to hit level 22

comparing this to level 20 in FFXI
fighting DC with average of 80xp per kill, it takes 57.5 kills to level 21
in FFXIV
with an average of 100sp per kill, it'd take 202 kills to hit rank 21
(kill number probably a lot higher, was getting zero to sub100 xp way most of the time)

with average of 350xp per kill, it'd take 215 kills to hit level 22

definitely not solo friendly!

NeoForte

Are there anyway to get Guild Marks on the War and Magic disciples? I saw an NPC selling some cool lancer stuff but I had no marks :/ Found out they come from Local Leves but the NPC only has crafting categories ><

nataku

Does this game not give an error message when trying to send a tell to offline players? I've tried sending tells to Teknoman a couple different times the past couple days and never got a reply. I'm assuming he wasn't even on, but I have no way to tell. My messages just go into limbo.

I can't search for players, can't add them to a friends list (and no ignore list either), get no message of any kind when trying to /tell offline players. This is all so confusing. Are these not basic features in a game that is supposed to promote community? What happens if I come across some random person who I happen to like grouping with, but they're in a different LS or don't want to join mine? With the way the game is set up, I'd probably never talk to them again.

The UI lag makes it not even worthwhile to try and do lots of menu intensive activities like selling off items.

To be honest I've not even been online in several days now. I was borrowing a friend's account and I don't consider it worthwhile to keep bugging him for one-time passwords just to play this. I've experienced enough of the game as it is for now, I don't need anymore until it releases, especially in its current state where there is very little to do that actually comes out being fun. Every little thing right now is ruined by one little bug or lack of feature or something.

All that said, I am extremely excited about exploring Ul'dah and its surrounding areas come release. Much more excited than I ever was for Limsa and La Noscea.

Borman

It's getting ridiculous. The person saying @Fileplanet got it wrong and that Japan's 16th was our 15th is starting to make more and more sense.

Zalasta

So I tried leves yesterday for the first time, and I don't get what the big deal is about the limitations. Once I ran out of ones to do on Conjurer, I switched job to Botanist so I can gather my own materials in preparation for Weaver next. That way hopefully I'll be able to repair my own gears eventually. Soloing there is really no lack of things to do, and changing jobs is so easy, unlike most other MMO if I play a Shaman I have to stay a Shaman.

Solo combat is neither more or less fun than any other game, I hit buttons until the mob dies. The only difference is position does seem to matter (in giving and taking hits). I seem to take more damage by standing still than the times when I try to get behind the enemy. Anyway, I hope party play is where the combat will really shine.

Londa

Banned
BG has a dat miner posting mobs and all kinds of stuff.

68392.attach.jpg

There are like three different types of airships that was shown too.

And there is a gun blade. :D

Londa

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
You have the link? I can't find that thread.

it is in the social groups. Its not in the public part of the forums.

Normal Airship:

68417.attach.jpg

Looks to be an enemy Airship:

68415.attach.jpg

This looks to be a elite battle airship:

68416.attach.jpg

I wish we could see the details.

My be a good idea to only keep it in this thread.

Famitsu interview said:
Famitsu managed to catch the FFXIV team over at Gamescom and managed to snag an interview. Here's the juicy details, courtesy of the one and only Stevemanly. The interview will be added and updated in chunks as it's translated, so stay tuned!

Source: Famitsu

Tell us about FFXIV!

At Gamescom, we bumped into the Final Fantasy XIV triumvirate: Producer Tanaka, Director Komoto, and Global Online Producer Sage Sundi. We pulled them aside and asked them for an interview, and they acquiesced. HARDCORE!

Looking back over the year

Famitsu (F): It’s been over a year since you revealed FFXIV at E3 last year. How has that year treated you?

Producer Tanaka (PT): Wait, did we reveal it at E3 last year? (He laughs) We’ve been working on it so long we’ve kinda lost track of the time.
Director Komoto (DK): Time’s really flown, especially this last year. It’s hard to believe the E3 at which we revealed FFXIV was a year ago already.

F: So basically you haven’t had time to look back?
Sage Sundi (SS): Right now, not in the slightest. (He laughs)

F: I’m sure you’re busy cramming a lot of work into the last few weeks before release, but can you tell us when open beta starts?
DK: The plan is to start it at the beginning of September.

F: Yeah yeah, tell us what day!
PT: Would you let us off the hook if we told you “As soon as possible?” (He laughs)

Changes between phases two and three of the beta

F: What changed with the beginning of phase three of the beta?
DK: We added a few things, but a couple of big things that changed were the tempo of battle and the feel of the game. Also, for the players outside of Japan, the changes to the mouse controls were probably pretty big.

F: So mouse control was a pretty big deal to users overseas?
PT: I would say about 90% of the feedback we got about things people wanted to see in the game was related to the mouse.
DK: If you look at it globally, there was more feedback about that than anything else.
SS: Outside of Japan, many PC gamers use a mouse as the main controls for all games, from FPS’s to MMORPG’s.
PT: Gamepad and mouse controls are different at the most fundamental of levels. With a gamepad, you have to go through a layered structure command input for control, a mouse needs to be able to get things done with just a click. We have to set the game up to be able to handle both.

F: So there wasn’t much feedback from Japan about all that?
DK: Not really, but we got a lot of feedback about the user interface as a whole, so we’re working around the clock to fix that right now.

Don’t forget the other requests

F: Was there any other kind of feedback you received?
DK: There was a lot about guildleves, like allowing retries on failed guildleves or suiting them more for party play. We on the development team also believe we could do more to promote party play. We’re trying to figure out how to find that balance of enjoyable party play without taking away from the soloing experience.

F: So you’ll be adding content to that purpose?
DK: Right now our greatest priority is to increase the merits for party play. Though we still want guildleves to be a rewarding solo experience, we also want to add things that would make them rewarding to complete as a party.
SS: We got a lot of feedback about that, and all the feedback was consistent; players’ first concern was the user interface, then the merits of party play. Thanks to this, we know what everyone is focusing on.

From “Bun-bun” to “Shei-shei-ha! Shei-ha!”*

F: The battle system changed drastically from alpha to the first phase of beta. Do you think the battle system could change even more?
DK: We feel that the battle system has become pretty set. What we have left to adjust are the abilities, monsters, and guildleve balance. The biggest part is probably the balance of the growth system, so we’ll be looking at that a lot during the third beta phase.
PT: Speaking of which, in open beta, the placement of monsters and their aggro settings will change greatly, so you may have to change your battle strategies, too.

F: So the changes are going to be so big they’ll even affect strategizing?
PT: FFXI was the same way. The system and balances change and adapt like a living creature.
DK: You’ll also be able to start in any of the three starting capital cities. It’s not just about the three different stories; it is from this point that you’ll actually see the economy begin to work the way we imagined it, and we can’t wait for you to see it.

F: So in open beta, will you be able to go between cities?
DK: But of course.

Where’s the magic?

F: Right now there’s only two Discipline of Magic classes available. Will there be any more than these?
DK: We’d like players to enjoy these two classes for a while. The caster class system is still being tweaked. However, this doesn’t mean we’re going to wait for the release of an expansion to release the class; it’ll be out when the timing is right.

F: So you’re saying that there will be more Disciples of Magic?
DK: Yes. They might come in a patch, they might come in an expansion. We’re not sure yet.

F: What about pet classes, like FFXI’s beastmaster?
DK: There was a lot of feedback asking for those. We’d like to be able to provide that, but it might come in an expansion…

F: …or it might be in a patch. We get it (He laughs)
DK: If you put a pet class in right from release, balance is really difficult, so right now we’re not putting them in.

F: Do you have plans for any other new classes?
PT: We’ve got a few in mind, but we’re keeping them under wraps for now.

F: What kind of class will they be? Give us a hint!
PT: No! (He laughs evilly, clutching his pitchfork and stepping on the interviewer’s toes with the malice of a kindergartener. Ok, the Japanese just says he laughs, but WE know what happened, don’t we, folks? –Manly)

*The “Ideal FFXIV Battle Tempo” according to the Japanese. In a Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus video posted on Japanese video site Niconico Douga, (14th in a series of DoC vids, which probably drew in people looking for FFXIV videos) bun-bun is the sound Vincent’s slow-firing gun makes, and shei-shei-ha is what Vincent says during his melee attack. Months ago, a common post on Japanese boards was, “The current FFXIV battle tempo: Bun… bun… Ideal battle tempo: SHEI-HA! SHEI-SHEI-HA! SHEI-SHEI! HAA… SHEI!”

Azrael

bardia said:
So many beta keys sent out today by core, zam, german sites etc. and I still somehow managed to not get one :lol

Zam keys aren't going out until 12:00 PM EST, so you still have a chance.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I love how they're already talking expansion. Hey SE, don't count your chickens before they're hatched...

If I get any more keys I'll try and give them to some gaffers. I had got one from Fileplanet the first day they had them and just got 2 earlier. 1 from Eorzeapedia, and one from SE Germany, but already gave them away.

Londa

Banned
Kintaro said:
I love how they're already talking expansion. Hey SE, don't count your chickens before they're hatched...

I don't really understand why you would think they shouldn't look into making an expansion.

Caj814

I didn't think it would happen but
Congratulations!Here is your Beta Key
1266548171383.gif

Then I still wasn't sure until I entered the code into the site.
Welcome to the Final Fantasy XIV Beta!
icantbelieveit.gif

Now all I need to do is download the client and update files and then I guess my reaction will change
23urh2b.gif

Kintaro

Londa said:
I don't really understand why you would think they shouldn't look into making an expansion.

They should look into one, but don't mention that shit before you've even launched the game. It's not set in stone they will even make it that far.

Random note: Folks at Gamescom must not have liked what they saw from XIV this year. Guild Wars 2 took the "Best Online Game" award.

Zalasta

Kintaro said:
Random note: Folks at Gamescom must not have liked what they saw from XIV this year. Guild Wars 2 took the "Best Online Game" award.

Or maybe GW2 was hyped quite a bit? There could be hundreds of reasons, not to mention FFXIV and GW2 aren't the only online games presented there. I don't really get your motivation behind pointless comments like this except to get a rise out of people.

Londa

Banned
Kintaro said:
They should look into one, but don't mention that shit before you've even launched the game. It's not set in stone they will even make it that far.

That may be your opinion but because it is a FF title and people from XI will most likey be attracted to the game. Its impossible for them not to not "even make it that far."

About that Best Online Game award: And? that doesn't mean the game will fail.

LowParry

Zalasta said:
Or maybe GW2 was hyped quite a bit? There could be hundreds of reasons, not to mention FFXIV and GW2 aren't the only online games presented there. I don't really get your motivation behind pointless comments like this except to get a rise out of people.

It's not just hype, it's hands on between the two games. GW obviously (from looking at game play videos) plays like what GW is meant to be played like. With a good control and feel of the game. Compare that to FFXIV (which we all know how is) and the difference is probably to those who played the two, night and day.

I'm starting to sense the overpopulation of MMO's....

falastini

F: So mouse control was a pretty big deal to users overseas?
PT: I would say about 90% of the feedback we got about things people wanted to see in the game was related to the mouse.
DK: If you look at it globally, there was more feedback about that than anything else.
SS: Outside of Japan, many PC gamers use a mouse as the main controls for all games, from FPS’s to MMORPG’s.
PT: Gamepad and mouse controls are different at the most fundamental of levels. With a gamepad, you have to go through a layered structure command input for control, a mouse needs to be able to get things done with just a click. We have to set the game up to be able to handle both.

It's funny how they acknowledge it, yet never get the reason to why they won't address it. Even if it's a bs excuse, I would like an explanation other then "we're not doing it".

Zalasta

CcrooK said:
It's not just hype, it's hands on between the two games. GW obviously (from looking at game play videos) plays like what GW is meant to be played like. With a good control and feel of the game. Compare that to FFXIV (which we all know how is) and the difference is probably to those who played the two, night and day.

I'm starting to sense the overpopulation of MMO's....

Wow, how many assumptions did you have to make to come up with that argument? Yes, it could very well mean that people preferred how GW2 played, but that doesn't automatically mean every other titles that didn't get the award played like crap.

Kintaro

Zalasta said:

Both were playable. One comes out in a month, one doesn't. The one that doesn't got the award (over the others featured there too). Shouldn't the one coming out sooner by the most hyped one?? I just found out the news and, to be honest, I was surprised. This was the last major show (unless you count PAX but the PAX crowd would chew this game up and spit it out) before release so I expected SE to really pour it on.

That may be your opinion but because it is a FF title and people from XI will most likey be attracted to the game. Its impossible for them not to not "even make it that far."

Grabbing everyone from XI isn't set in stone either.

Shouta

Zalasta said:
Wow, how many assumptions you have to make to come up with that argument? Yes, it could very well mean that people preferred how GW2 played, but that doesn't automatically mean every other titles that didn't get the award played like crap.

Not many assumptions, especially with the current state of the beta and the answers given by the dev team in interviews.

nataku

Zalasta said:
Wow, how many assumptions did you have to make to come up with that argument? Yes, it could very well mean that people preferred how GW2 played, but that doesn't automatically mean every other titles that didn't get the award played like crap.

Honestly, I think it's more telling that a game 6-8 months from release got the reward over a game that's due next month. FFXIV should have been the one with tons of polish and ready to release, since it IS due in a month.

LowParry

Zalasta said:

Which tells me, you haven't been reading anything from Gamescon from people who've...oh you know, hands on played the games. There's mild assumptions of how to compare the two games right now, and frankly, GW2 topped it. Don't forget Dev talk.

Londa

Banned
Kintaro said:
Both were playable. One comes out in a month, one doesn't. The one that doesn't got the award (over the others featured there too). Shouldn't the one coming out sooner by the most hyped one?? I just found out the news and, to be honest, I was surprised. This was the last major show (unless you count PAX but the PAX crowd would chew this game up and spit it out) before release so I expected SE to really pour it on.

Grabbing everyone from XI isn't set in stone either.

When has "most" meant everyone? The game isn't going to fail.

Londa

Banned
falastini said:
It's funny how they acknowledge it, yet never get the reason to why they won't address it. Even if it's a bs excuse, I would like an explanation other then "we're not doing it".

Gamepad and mouse controls are different at the most fundamental of levels. With a gamepad, you have to go through a layered structure command input for control, a mouse needs to be able to get things done with just a click. We have to set the game up to be able to handle both.

pretty much explains why the mouse controls will not be at launch.

Zalasta

Shouta said:
Not many assumptions, especially with the current state of the beta and the answers given by the dev team in interviews.

Well, I guess you must knew the voter's personal expectations and experiences that caused them to vote the way they did. Not to mention none of us here have actually played GW2 to know whether it warranted the award. Valid criticisms is one thing, useless comparison is another.

nataku said:
Honestly, I think it's more telling that a game 6-8 months from release got the reward over a game that's due next month. FFXIV should have been the one with tons of polish and ready to release, since it IS due in a month.

I don't really agree with that at all. You're assuming people are interested in playing all games equally. Couldn't someone vote for a game simply because of his excitement for it regardless how it performs compared to the others? The fact is we don't know how they voted, and some people are trying to explain it away with their own reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom