• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Crit - Dhit it is then!

I'm relieved though, staying in melee range with RDM sounded awkward as shit

As someone who wanted an actual melee-caster hybrid thing, it's a little disappointing that the melee combo is basically just a series of style buttons / resource venting.

Yeah, Crit/Direct hit is the likely outcome for gearing RDM, unless they did something very wrong with Direct hit.

There's a like 50% chance that's exactly what happened.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yeah, I remember feeling that way when I beat Titan EX the first time....

Summoner AF is such a let down.
Did you like the last Summoner AF? Seems like a less frilly version of that.

At least it's not clip city like BLM. I'm convinced every BLM set was only tested on Yoshi's lalafell before the greenlit them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Did you like the last Summoner AF? Seems like a less frilly version of that.

At least it's not clip city like BLM. I'm convinced every BLM set was only tested on Yoshi's lalafell before the greenlit them.

I did like the old AF, but this one seems far too similar to it.

And I like the frills.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I did like the old AF, but this one seems far too similar to it.

And I like the frills.
Ah, that's fair. I didn't mind them either, but then again I don't play a male characters. That set looked a liiittle goofy on males.

R0ckman

Figured, should make these more interesting. They seem to ignore these classes. Luckily I can level these up to 50 in about 2 hours. But switching back and forth to make supplies is annoying, so I craft a bunch of stuff and sell it cheaper on the market to drop the value on the board so I can buy it cheap when feeling lazy lol.

Thorgal

with less then a week to go have we already decided what the new thread title will be ?

i vote for

FFXIV Stormblood OT | Liberty or Death!

Edzi

So I pre-ordered the digital pc version of SB from Amazon yesterday. Should I expect to get any codes through email soon or am I gonna have to wait until the release date?

studyguy

So I pre-ordered the digital pc version of SB from Amazon yesterday. Should I expect to get any codes through email soon or am I gonna have to wait until the release date?

Check your amazon account message center. Mine were in there for a month before I realized I had never gotten a formal email.

iammeiam

Silly angary, don't you know girls don't play vidyagsmes??

Fannnntasy.

they already had a healer

from all the drama time stories, girls only play healers

These are all good points, but I think I have to give the winner to:
It turns out the girl played drg and had already fallen off.

Largely because I choose to believe she had AF1 glamoured on and lept off out of shame.

Oh I see I was under the impression that it healed in an aoe regardless of stacks on other targets, so basically stack 3times on tank or offtank, then free cure 3 when using it on them. I guess it's more like a free Lustrate kinda, which is pretty bad especially if it's on GCD lock.

I'd still wait to see the final version of skills, but yeah doesn't look pretty for WHMs, especially with how ridiculous the AST delayed bomb aoe heal thing is and how stupid strong the card system was buffed over time+new minor cards.

As someone who only really used SCH and AST anyway I guess I don't care too much. My WHM is still 52 or whatever, was the one healer I hadn't bothered leveling before I took a break.

No, he is wrong. You only need confessions on one person to trigger the aoe around them. 3 on each person would be insane, especially as the stacks have a countdown. But to get past cure 3 potency, you do need 3 stacks.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
These are all good points, but I think I have to give the winner to:

Largely because I choose to believe she had AF1 glamoured on and lept off out of shame.

Maybe she played a male character! You don't know!

I should've glamoured that shit on male roe when I had the chance for no dumb torso hole.

With all the players coming back, it's time to play a game...

IMPYm8f.png

I'm late, but this is missing Sword Art Online references.

Pejo

Is there any GAF presence on Balmung? I'm thinking of coming back and trying to grind through as much of the original and heavensward story as I can, but I got really burnt out trying to solo/dungeon finder through it last time I re-subbed.

pantsmith

This probably gets posted a bunch, but is there any kind of resource for returning players?

My two friends and I are planning on returning for Stormblood, having not played since the end of ARR content. As I understand it:

- We'll need to complete the end of ARR story (with the Sultana, etc), the Heavenward story, and then we'll be able to get into Stormblood content?
- I can still unlock and play through the new classes before getting deep into any of the missed story content? interested in switching from Monk to Red Mage or Mechanist
- Its easier to buy a house than before, which is to say not literally impossible, but its still probably impossible? (we're on Gilgamesh, which I hear is up there in population)

Would love some kind of guide to get caught up with everything I need to know, without going overboard until I'm actually playing again. Don't mind some light reading.

Thanks!

Basoes

This probably gets posted a bunch, but is there any kind of resource for returning players?

My two friends and I are planning on returning for Stormblood, having not played since the end of ARR content. As I understand it:

- We'll need to complete the end of ARR story (with the Sultana, etc), the Heavenward story, and then we'll be able to get into Stormblood content?
- I can still unlock and play through the new classes before getting deep into any of the missed story content? interested in switching from Monk to Red Mage or Mechanist
- Its easier to buy a house than before, which is to say not literally impossible, but its still probably impossible? (we're on Gilgamesh, which I hear is up there in population)

Would love some kind of guide to get caught up with everything I need to know, without going overboard until I'm actually playing again. Don't mind some light reading.

Thanks!

Eh first part yea you need to go in order for story content

2nd part, you just need to be 50 for Red Mage and Samurai, for the HW classes you need to have done all of ARR and post content till you get to the new city

no idea on housing

this is basic but good enough for now

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6dlwzu/a_beginners_guide_to_stormblood/

it's prop not what you need though (edit)

iammeiam

Maybe she played a male character! You don't know!

I should've glamoured that shit on male roe when I had the chance for no dumb torso hole.

I am suitably ashamed of my words and deeds.

No, he is wrong. You only need confessions on one person to trigger the aoe around them. 3 on each person would be insane, especially as the stacks have a countdown. But to get past cure 3 potency, you do need 3 stacks.

Is there a source for this this? That's not how it worked at the media preview (they stack confessions on a DRG or something, WHM procs thingy, DRG gets heals and WHM does not.) I haven't seen an interview indicating otherwise. The tooltip is also 0y range/30y radius, which is how Medica works. PBAOE around the WHM, not the plenary target. Subject to change and all, but everything we have points at the dumb option.

It's closer to how it obviously should work, but given the laughable lily system and video evidence indicating Confessions work the dumb way I'm not putting it past them.

Edit: the more I think about this the less sense the AOE being around the dude with Confessions stacks makes. If the MT has 2 stacks and the OT has 1 stack, is that both of them AOE healing for 3 stacks? Or 2 off 1 dude 1 off another and 3 on anybody standing in range of getting hit by both, for 600? or 900 because 1 = 400 and 2 = 500

oh my god this game is breaking my head

My fanfic version should be it consuming confessions off your party, adding them up, and then a medica-like thing going out from the WHM that eats them all. But if it doesn't heal the healer then it's still weird

LaneDS

I didn't receive a code until three days after I placed my order (for the physical copy) through Amazon, for whatever that ends up being worth.

iammeiam

It would seem weakness no longer reduces your VIT.

This might lend credibility to that Reddit patch notes leak that got deleted; instead of being 15/30 on all stats, it's just 25/50 on Main Stat. If true it removes the failure cascade healer stress of deaths, but makes DPS checks tighter/makes healing a bitch if you die twice.

Trying to remember what else was in there... 320 weapons from one of the primals and accessories from the other. Ixion Mega-FATE with mount. That dungeons post-50 will direct drop an item for your job to you inventory upon completion, and it should do dup checking.

Cross-world PotD.

Still could be bullshit; Reddit thread was here.

It's been a while, but the only really bad deadzone I remember in the main story was 46-49. Daily roulettes, occasionally rerunning the most recent unlocked dungeon mostly kept things floating along. 46-49 has always been awful in part because the dungeon that covers that is no fun.

Just to double-check, have you been unlocking the optional dungeons outside of the MSQ as you go? 35, 38, 44 and 47 are all levels where you can unlock a dungeon that the game won't force you into at that point, and it was a lot of grinding those or FATE trains in Coerthas back before PotD absorbed all the leveling. DPS queue times can be kind of long, but it's still worth hitting each at least once.

There'll be another drought section when you hit Heavensward; nature of the beast. I'm expecting deadzones in Stormblood and PotD exp scaling to be garbage over 60 so it's back to good old fashioned dungeon running.

From what I read, the dungeons give less xp than Palace of the Dead, don't they? I keep seeing PotD being the best way to level up quickly. That said, I'm capped at the 31-40 range because I don't have Heavensward unlocked yet so maybe at the level range I can get to it's not more efficient? I know 51-60 is supposed to be the farm range and I have no idea how much xp the dungeons around my level are worth nor how the amount of time it takes to complete them would make it competitive against PotD but I imagine PoTD is quicker? I did one dungeon the story didn't take me to from a roulette, does roulette have all the dungeons in the pool?

At this point it seems like the only option is to keep re-running 1-40 unless the dungeons would be more efficient. A bummer that it doesn't let you choose what set of floors you want to do, seems like an oversight but I'm glad to see you can choose level 51 once you unlock that as a starting point at least. I pre-ordered SB so I have to wait for that to unlock Heavensward to go deeper. I won't be quite as impatient when I get to Heavensward because the primary reason I'm in a rush right now is that I want to be able to unlock SAM ASAP so I'm clamoring to get to level 50 and finish ARR's story. At least with Heavensward I'll be running a SAM.

Speaking of PotD runs, I learned the hard way that if you get disconnected before teleporting out of the boss room, you lose that whole run's progress. Not that I didn't guess this would be the case but I was swapping out skills before dipping out and my ISP had an outage. Doh! It burned because it was the luckiest run of Arms upgrades I've had. My arms is so far behind the armor so this run would have really helped but...nope! In any case, the little bit I did before bed got me to level 40 but like last time, not going to continue the story again yet, going to keep farming xp and level up as much as I can. I'd like to just grind to level 50 here but since I can only get to 31-40, I know that's not advisable. I'll see how quickly I level or how sane I stay having to reset to floor one constantly to determine when I'll go back to the story haha At least I'll have a Monk quest waiting for me which means a new skill.

Oh, I wanted to ask about the level 40 boss in PotD. I had a party that was recking him last night and right before he died there was some kind of aoe that seemed unavoidable that wiped everyone... Do you need to kill him in a certain amount of time to avoid this? Or is there a trick to it? It seemed like the aoe covered the whole area and he did something to me where I couldn't move and it showed some kind of target above my character.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This might lend credibility to that Reddit patch notes leak that got deleted; instead of being 15/30 on all stats, it's just 25/50 on Main Stat. If true it removes the failure cascade healer stress of deaths, but makes DPS checks tighter/makes healing a bitch if you die twice.

Trying to remember what else was in there... 230 weapons from one of the primals and accessories from the other. Ixion Mega-FATE with mount. That dungeons post-50 will direct drop an item for your job to you inventory upon completion, and it should do dup checking.

Cross-world PotD.

They could just be very observant.

Trying to remember what else was in there... 230 weapons from one of the primals and accessories from the other. Ixion Mega-FATE with mount. That dungeons post-50 will direct drop an item for your job to you inventory upon completion, and it should do dup checking.

Cross-world PotD.

HardcoreFFXIV confirmed, praise Tabata

iammeiam

From what I read, the dungeons give less xp than Palace of the Dead, don't they? I keep seeing PotD being the best way to level up quickly. That said, I'm capped at the 31-40 range because I don't have Heavensward unlocked yet so maybe at the level range I can get to it's not more efficient? I know 51-60 is supposed to be the farm range and I have no idea how much xp the dungeons around my level are worth nor how the amount of time it takes to complete them would make it competitive against PotD but I imagine PoTD is quicker? I did one dungeon the story didn't take me to from a roulette, does roulette have all the dungeons in the pool?

PotD is incredibly group-dependent and if you wipe or timeout or whatever, you get nothing. Dungeons I think are usually believed to be slightly ahead for healers and tanks due to super fast queue times, but DPS queues are generally longer and so PotD's ability to Always Be Running is generally preferred. My plan for RDM is to team up with a tank for queue carries and just go through it the old fashioned Dungeon way because I'm old fashioned.

The one thing dungeons have that PotD won't is chain EXP bonus on mobs--if the mob is at or above your level you get a stacking bonus to EXP for killing mobs in a chain without break. Once you outlevel the mobs in the dungeon, you lose that chain bonus, but it's pretty decent .

But honestly part of it is it sounds like you are grinding a lot more than I remember having to do either time I took a character through ARR and this was before PotD existed; PotD is generally the most efficient way to level done right, but it also seems kind of soul crushing and there are things in general that will benefit you from doing the other dungeons (your Grand Company hunting log will send you to Qarn; one of the job hunting logs sends you into Cutter's Cry; having these all unlocked can be helpful if the game tries to send you back later + the hunting log EXP is good.) It's also primarily used to level alt jobs, when you have the armory bonus pushing you forward, and has replaced fun things like Dzaemal Darkhold first room spam. Roulettes AFAIK pull from anything you have unlocked that the job you're on qualifies for.

You also want to check off the challenge log stuff--it'll reset tomorrow morning so try to grab any dungeon/fate challenge logs you haven't completed yet.

Oh, I wanted to ask about the level 40 boss in PotD. I had a party that was recking him last night and right before he died there was some kind of aoe that seemed unavoidable that wiped everyone... Do you need to kill him in a certain amount of time to avoid this? Or is there a trick to it? It seemed like the aoe covered the whole area and he did something to me where I couldn't move and it showed some kind of target above my character.

DPS check, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Kill the adds and it shouldn't kill you.

They could just be very observant.

Yep; it's either backing up the guy or prompted the guy to make up some bullshit citing that for credibility. Most of what was posted seemed believable (the current weakness system blows for healers in general anyway), aside from the Ixion mount thing being a little unexpected. But of course this must all remain top secret for reasons.

PotD is incredibly group-dependent and if you wipe or timeout or whatever, you get nothing. Dungeons I think are usually believed to be slightly ahead for healers and tanks due to super fast queue times, but DPS queues are generally longer and so PotD's ability to Always Be Running is generally preferred. My plan for RDM is to team up with a tank for queue carries and just go through it the old fashioned Dungeon way because I'm old fashioned.

The one thing dungeons have that PotD won't is chain EXP bonus on mobs--if the mob is at or above your level you get a stacking bonus to EXP for killing mobs in a chain without break. Once you outlevel the mobs in the dungeon, you lose that chain bonus, but it's pretty decent .

But honestly part of it is it sounds like you are grinding a lot more than I remember having to do either time I took a character through ARR and this was before PotD existed; PotD is generally the most efficient way to level done right, but it also seems kind of soul crushing and there are things in general that will benefit you from doing the other dungeons (your Grand Company hunting log will send you to Qarn; one of the job hunting logs sends you into Cutter's Cry; having these all unlocked can be helpful if the game tries to send you back later + the hunting log EXP is good.) It's also primarily used to level alt jobs, when you have the armory bonus pushing you forward, and has replaced fun things like Dzaemal Darkhold first room spam. Roulettes AFAIK pull from anything you have unlocked that the job you're on qualifies for.

You also want to check off the challenge log stuff--it'll reset tomorrow morning so try to grab any dungeon/fate challenge logs you haven't completed yet.

DPS check, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Kill the adds and it shouldn't kill you.
Yeah I'm a DPS so it's a pain getting into dungeons whereas PoTD is virtually right away which is nice. Joining one of the other two role types to beat queues is smart, if I had a tank or healer friend to run through the dungeons with that sounds like it'd be a solid way to go or at least try out and I'd like to see the other dungeons at least once anyway.

If you were running alt classes, you wouldn't have to grind as much because of the big experience buff, right? That's probably why it was far less grindy for you or maybe also that you may have played with friends doing all kinds of content but as I'm running solo, I'm doing more grindy, focused methods for leveling.

I haven't messed with any of the logs, maybe I'll look into that if they have a nice XP pay out, that'd be more interesting for sure. Are they larger pay outs than story and sidequests? I remember when story quests were awesome xp and now they are each a drop in the bucket with how much it takes to level up once haha

Ah, we didn't mess with the adds because he was so close to dying so we were just burning him down and I guess where a moment too slow.

duckroll

Finished 3.4. That was reaaaaaaaally long. But pretty good. I liked that the quests were less predictable and there were lots of nice quieter character moments. So close. Must... finish 3.5 by SB...

iammeiam

Yeah I'm a DPS so it's a pain getting into dungeons whereas PoTD is virtually right away which is nice. Joining one of the other two role types to beat queues is smart, if I had a tank or healer friend to run through the dungeons with that sounds like it'd be a solid way to go or at least try out and I'd like to see the other dungeons at least once anyway.

The queue carry thing is nice if you can work it out; my plan is to trade off with somebody and queue carry them on a healer so they can level a DPS, then switch around. Not super valid the first time through, but that it's still the preferred method for healers and tanks makes me think it's still slighlyt more exp efficient... while your'e in.

If you were running alt classes, you wouldn't have to grind as much because of the big experience buff, right? That's probably why it was far less grindy for you or maybe also that you may have played with friends doing all kinds of content but as I'm running solo, I'm doing more grindy, focused methods for leveling.

Surprisingly, no--my first time through, back in 2.2, I solo leveled a DPS. I remember hitting the great 46-49 EXP gulf and having to DD/AV a bit to get through it, but for the most part logs/forced story dungeons/random fates/roulettes removed most of the grinding.

I went back and leveled an actual alt character ( so no EXP bonus) later, after the HW buffs to ARR experience, and I think I just knocked it out in a couple of days of running through stuff? But I did it antisocial, hit the optional dungeons as I could, and only tagged people in when I needed to run some MSQ content unsynced to skip queues. I did level as a healer for shorter queue times, and I think I had a couple of spots where I did hunting log and a few FATEs to cross the threshold, but it still wasn't heads-down concentrated grind.

I haven't messed with any of the logs, maybe I'll look into that if they have a nice XP pay out, that'd be more interesting for sure. Are they larger pay outs than story and sidequests? I remember when story quests were awesome xp and now they are each a drop in the bucket with how much it takes to level up once haha

Oh man--go unlock the challenge log today. The Class-based hunting log is a decent infusion of XP on the way to 50 (the first few ranks aren't going to seem impressive now; you're supposed to do one rank per 10 levels, so you'll have a few to clear out to 'catch up'), and challenge log rewards you bonus EXP every week for completing basic tasks. The EXP for challenge log scales to your level, up to 50, so if you can unlock it today and at least do the FATE ones, it'll give you a little push. It'll then reset tomorrow and you can use it again to help for the final push to 50.

GC hunting log I think has EXP, but you're also going to have to do it eventually to unlock GC ranks so worth getting on it. I lie, the GC one is just seals no XP

Low 40s is also I think where you can unlock beast tribe quests? So ideally you can do those for a little EXP while sitting in queues

Ah, we didn't mess with the adds because he was so close to dying so we were just burning him down and I guess where a moment too slow.

That'd definitely do it; "kill adds or wipe" is a treasured FFXIV DPS check. I want to say the same thing happened the first time I went through there, but the tank lived due to steroid shields and finished him off for us.

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll just told me to check out NIN changes to get ready for SB rotation. It looks..messy? Like I lose my self-heal in mug (1-2k instant recovery) and without cross-class skills maybe my other one (second wind). Those have gotten me through a lot of pinches when after some big move I end up with like 500hp and instantly getting 4-5k back helps survive some minor hits until the healer comes in. I just finished 3.3 last night and on the last boss that definitely helped.

Also losing DoT sucks but I guess the combo buffs and dream within a dream buff make up for it.Although if Cross-Class skills are gone, I'll miss the critical up Internal Release.

A few slots will free up, 2 attacks won't have to be wasted on Dancing Edge for the debuff and 1 on Mutilate/DoT, But then I'll need to add 1 slot back in with Hide which was useless but now is essentially another Kassatsu.

On one hand I can see how I'll get lots of extra combo and Ninjutsu rotations in because of those freeing up things and I'll get a few more slots on my XMB. On the other hand, it's like they're taking a lot of interesting things out of Ninja rotation and all you'll be doing is the same three combos over and over with the same couple of ninjutsu over and over. Basically simplifying the rotation but making it more boring. Buffing the damage output, but nerfing the self-heal.

This is without the post-60 new skills which I didn't look out cause spoilers.

The queue carry thing is nice if you can work it out; my plan is to trade off with somebody and queue carry them on a healer so they can level a DPS, then switch around. Not super valid the first time through, but that it's still the preferred method for healers and tanks makes me think it's still slighlyt more exp efficient... while your'e in.

Surprisingly, no--my first time through, back in 2.2, I solo leveled a DPS. I remember hitting the great 46-49 EXP gulf and having to DD/AV a bit to get through it, but for the most part logs/forced story dungeons/random fates/roulettes removed most of the grinding.

I went back and leveled an actual alt character ( so no EXP bonus) later, after the HW buffs to ARR experience, and I think I just knocked it out in a couple of days of running through stuff? But I did it antisocial, hit the optional dungeons as I could, and only tagged people in when I needed to run some MSQ content unsynced to skip queues. I did level as a healer for shorter queue times, and I think I had a couple of spots where I did hunting log and a few FATEs to cross the threshold, but it still wasn't heads-down concentrated grind.

Oh man--go unlock the challenge log today. The Class-based hunting log is a decent infusion of XP on the way to 50 (the first few ranks aren't going to seem impressive now; you're supposed to do one rank per 10 levels, so you'll have a few to clear out to 'catch up'), and challenge log rewards you bonus EXP every week for completing basic tasks. The EXP for challenge log scales to your level, up to 50, so if you can unlock it today and at least do the FATE ones, it'll give you a little push. It'll then reset tomorrow and you can use it again to help for the final push to 50.

GC hunting log I think has EXP, but you're also going to have to do it eventually to unlock GC ranks so worth getting on it. I lie, the GC one is just seals no XP

Low 40s is also I think where you can unlock beast tribe quests? So ideally you can do those for a little EXP while sitting in queues

That'd definitely do it; "kill adds or wipe" is a treasured FFXIV DPS check. I want to say the same thing happened the first time I went through there, but the tank lived due to steroid shields and finished him off for us.

Looking at the link you referenced, I know I've unlocked the logs already so I just haven't looked at them. I'm guessing I just hit start and can look at them all in there? What's the window that pops up when I first log in each day? I assumed it was side quests floating in the area but now I'm guessing it has more to do with the weekly challenge hunts you mentioned? I think I remember seeing daily roulette in there before when I hadn't run it yet so makes more sense that it's tied to that. Does the game tell me when I can do Beast Tribe quests? I just hit level 40 so might not be high enough yet. That's an idea though, I can queue up for a dungeon and knock out some hunt quests and such. I was knocking out main story quests while queued up for the daily roulette and it was a nice way to do things ha

I had beaten that boss a few times before but have wiped twice right before killing him now and was wondering what the difference was. I guess my older groups knew to kill the adds and these other two didn't. I'll make sure to make a comment before starting the fight now as it's a colossal waste of time to wipe there. Still burns that my biggest ARMs gain run went to waste...

Thank you so much for all the advice you've been providing, hopefully I'll level up quickly bouncing between all this stuff. If I had access to floors 51-60 I'd probably just grind that but since I don't and would have to start from floor one after 40 each time, yeah, alternative methods would be nice. Plus it's cool to run new dungeons. So to do that, I have to run up to the entrances of dungeons and it will unlock for me to duty find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom