• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let me in

September 22, 2010 12:01:00 AM Louisville KY US Arrival Scan
September 21, 2010 10:18:00 PM Linthicum MD US Departure Scan
September 21, 2010 08:30:00 PM Linthicum MD US Arrival Scan
September 21, 2010 06:30:00 PM Harrisburg PA US Departure Scan
September 21, 2010 03:45:00 PM Harrisburg PA US Shipment received by carrier
September 21, 2010 03:33:57 PM US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

My package is sightseeing :lol I was only a state away when it was in PA.

klee123

Just got the collectors edition and will start installing tonight. Are there any initial downloads and if there is how big in terms of file size?

Let me in

Unknown Soldier said:
Come on, some of you guys are already playing, do I need to register some kind of payment method or not before starting to play?
Go into your SE account and add "Crysta" through PayPal or register your CC.

Kandinsky

From BG..
Well, so far I've found absolutely nothing new. Apart from a slight shuffling of vendors, we just seem to have a slightly more stable Open Beta build. I can't find a single new quest to do above and beyond what we've seen already. There's no new voice acting or anything...
Yeah I think I'm going to just wait till March, hope thats enough time for them to finish this game:lol

I hope this game fails hard and goes ftp, that would be so awesome:lol

wont happen, i know, but still!

Feep

Banned
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I accidentally told Amazon my old shipping address. And they can't change it; it's already shipped. Fuck fuck fuck.

I guess I'll order a second copy, and let the first one get returned and refunded. But seriously, fuck. I'm hoping the first couple days will suck server-wise...

jiggle

lupinko said:
Wait what, care to elaborate???? O_O

i have 2 SE accounts
account one is linked to FFXI and used to register for PC beta
account two i used to register FFXIII with, which generated a code i used to apply for PS3 beta
i was able to use the code generated in account two, and register for the asuran armbands in account one

lupinko

jiggle said:
i have 2 SE accounts
account one is linked to FFXI and used to register for PC beta
account two i used to register FFXIII with, which generated a code i used to apply for PS3 beta
i was able to use the code generated in account two, and register for the asuran armbands in account one

Oh ok, that is unrelated to my inquiry but thanks anyway.

For people with the Japanese FFXIII code, I just tried it, and it's region locked (doesn't work with my Canadian account).

So I guess I only have the Onion Helmet then from my CE preorder. =/

Unless, someone is in my situation but reverse, I would gladly trade my JP code for a NA code.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Feep said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I accidentally told Amazon my old shipping address. And they can't change it; it's already shipped. Fuck fuck fuck.

I guess I'll order a second copy, and let the first one get returned and refunded. But seriously, fuck. I'm hoping the first couple days will suck server-wise...
Huh, that sucks. Might as well just pick it up from Gamestop already...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Eek, 5 hours before midnight release and one of my friends called, inviting everyone out to go drinking. Goddamn, am I gonna have to go to Gamestop in the middle of the night totally blasted? :lol

Fuck. Is there any way to change the destination of my shipment via UPS? :lol

Somehow when I submitted the preorder I put down my parents' house. I'm at my school apartment. I'm a dumbass.

Thank you for the responses, guys. I'll add some Crysta when I'm done installing the game!

HappyBivouac said:
Fuck. Is there any way to change the destination of my shipment via UPS? :lol

Somehow when I submitted the preorder I put down my parents' house. I'm at my school apartment.

Call UPS. They're open 24/7, so call them now! They may be able to re-route the package depending on where it is right now.

Unknown Soldier said:
Thank you for the responses, guys. I'll add some Crysta when I'm done installing the game!

Call UPS. They're open 24/7, so call them now! They may be able to re-route the package depending on where it is right now.
Won't help, only the sender can change destinations

Teknoman

lupinko said:
Silly and very embarrassing question, where do I use the Crysta to purchase the month/character slot thing?

I'd think after you registered the game, they would give you the option to pick under service options.

Btw if I understand the system for using crysta to pay, 3k crysta should be enough for 3 months right?

Also yeah, everyone should use paypal if you plan to use crysta, or just buy one of those gamecards at gamestop/bestbuy/frys/target.

lupinko

Teknoman said:
I'd think after you registered the game, they would give you the option to pick under service options.

Btw if I understand the system for using crysta to pay, 3k crysta should be enough for 3 months right?

Also yeah, everyone should use paypal if you plan to use crysta, or just buy one of those gamecards at gamestop/bestbuy/frys/target.

Oh ok, then I can't do that until tomorrow morning then when I get my game. Good thing Ebgames opens at 930am, well the one I preordered at anyway. :D

Teknoman

Yeah the only thing they let you do with registration is enter special item codes or buy crysta (if you want to pay that way).

I don't understand, they say to register your payment before you get the game to try and keep things from getting congested, but you can't register payment until you have the full retail game...

Dreamwriter said:
I don't understand, they say to register your payment before you get the game to try and keep things from getting congested, but you can't register payment until you have the full retail game...

They mean congestion on the Account Management site, which will undoubtedly be hammered starting really soon now. You can register a credit card now with the account itself and I'm assuming all games registered after that will automatically be attached to the card on file.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
They mean congestion on the Account Management site, which will undoubtedly be hammered starting really soon now. You can register a credit card now with the account itself and I'm assuming all games registered after that will automatically be attached to the card on file.
Hmm, I hope they still don't require me to register a card even after I bought some of their damn crysta (in the hopes that in doing so I would not have to register my card).

Feep

Banned
Yeah, you know, screw it.

I can't reroute the package; it's already on its way to Florida, the reroute cost is eleven dollars.

I'm not going to order another copy, either, because free release day shipping is gone (ended yesterday at 3:30), and I'd have to pay at least seven extra bucks to get the game on, say, the 25th/26th, depending on Amazon.

So, I've decided to say "Fuck it" and buy the regular edition come the 30th. It's financially smarter, and the servers hopefully won't suck too horribly by then.

I'm still sad, though. The opening days of an MMO are always the most fun. I'll try calling the Gamestops around, and see if anyone canceled their order, or if they have any spare CE's lying around.

Rentahamster said:
Hmm, I hope they still don't require me to register a card even after I bought some of their damn crysta (in the hopes that in doing so I would not have to register my card).

I'm planning on buying Crysta to avoid giving ClickandBuy my credit card number. It had better work! :lol

Wow, I guess no one is using any of Squenix's bandwidth right now because the official patcher actually tries to fly along, at least until it hits my upload cap, and then it starts throttling my download! Great job, Squenix! Did you know that most people in the world have Internet connections which have asymmetrical bandwidth, with higher speed download than upload caps? Learn to program a fucking BitTorrent client before launching a game which depends on it for distribution of patches! MORANS! :lol

Feep said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Glad to see I'm not the only one who made that mistake. :lol

notworksafe

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm planning on buying Crysta to avoid giving ClickandBuy my credit card number. It had better work! :lol
You still have to use them to buy Crysta. The only way to avoid it is to buy it with UltimatePay or something, but that's Paypal/Physical cards sold in stores.

Feep

Banned
So why is everyone using ClickAndBuy if they can just use PayPal? PayPal might suck, but I see them as the lesser of two evils here, and I'm already set up with them.

notworksafe

Feep said:
So why is everyone using ClickAndBuy if they can just use PayPal? PayPal might suck, but I see them as the lesser of two evils here, and I'm already set up with them.
That's the only option for a direct payment. The only way to use Paypal is if you buy Crysta through the UltimatePay option. If you buy Crysta, you have to pay $15.00 a month instead of the normal $12.99.

Because you can't just use PayPal, to use PayPal you have to use UltimatePay. There is unfortunately no way to pay without choosing one shady no-name service or the other.

notworksafe said:
That's the only option for a direct payment. The only way to use Paypal is if you buy Crysta through the UltimatePay option. If you buy Crysta, you have to pay $15.00 a month instead of the normal $12.99.
Wait, no you don't - if you buy $15 worth of Crysta it's still only taking $12.99 worth of Crysta away for FFXIV.

Unknown Soldier said:

Wow, I guess no one is using any of Squenix's bandwidth right now because the official patcher actually tries to fly along, at least until it hits my upload cap, and then it starts throttling my download! Great job, Squenix! Did you know that most people in the world have Internet connections which have asymmetrical bandwidth, with higher speed download than upload caps? Learn to program a fucking BitTorrent client before launching a game which depends on it for distribution of patches! MORANS! :lol

Yeah, I just downloaded both patches in about half the time it took me to install the game.

notworksafe

Dreamwriter said:
Wait, no you don't - if you buy $15 worth of Crysta it's still only taking $12.99 worth of Crysta away for FFXIV.
That leaves you with 201 Crysta, not enough for another month (which costs 1299 Crysta at minimum). Since you can only buy Crysta in $5 increments you'll still have to buy $15 worth of Crysta to afford another month.

If you only buy in $15 increments, sure. Instead, buy $65 worth of Crysta at once - that's enough for 5 months of play with only 5 pennies left over.

Feep

Banned
notworksafe said:
That leaves you with 201 Crysta, not enough for another month (which costs 1299 Crysta at minimum). Since you can only buy Crysta in $5 increments you'll still have to buy $15 worth of Crysta to afford another month.
You'll have 402 Crysta after two months.
And 604 after three! So you'll only need to buy another $10!

It works out the same over the long run, but it IS kinda dumb.

LeoStenbuck said:
Yeah, I just downloaded both patches in about half the time it took me to install the game.

Well good for you. Sadly, I have neither cookies nor medals to award you for being more lucky with your Internet connection than me.

It didn't take me long to install the game since I was doing it from one hard drive to the other, even though the game consists of 196,376,975 tiny files which necessarily slows install time down considerably.

I watched the patcher grunt and moan it's way through 10% of the second (430MB) patch before killing it and just using the torrent for the patch provided in this thread which easily hit my bandwidth cap with uTorrent and downloaded much faster.

I had two FFXI accounts but I can't remember the details of either of them :lol I think the last time I played was in 2005. I take it you still need to use playonline to activate subscriptions and such? If so I'm giving up on the shoes right now, no way I'm searching for discs, installing pol, patching, and then hoping I can somehow find my user names or passwords. I think I'll just be content with the FFXIII, and CE bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom