• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Salaadin said:
I asked a page ago but didnt get an answer....does the retail game let you choose which drive you want to install to? I dont have room on my C: drive.

I didn't check tbh, but you can move it afterwards as long as you change the shortcuts on the desktop etc.

That's what I did anyway.

Salaadin

Jinko said:
I didn't check tbh, but you can move it afterwards as long as you change the shortcuts on the desktop etc.

That's what I did anyway.

Ok, as long as I can. I have a separate SSD just for this game and dont want it taking up my OS drive space. The beta let you install to other drives so Im assuming this will too. Just want to be certain. Thanks.

Cmon UPS!!!

Teknoman

Londa said:
I was wondering, is there any airship rides? what about player housing? I don't see any info about the released version. This is the weirdest release ever. :lol

No nothing yet, and they were alluding to some of the stuff being added sometime around the first major update.

Why the fuck do I need to give Click and Buy my fucking mobile phone number? What if I don't have one? Jesus, I really hate this kind of bullshit.

Ugh, I should have downloaded the patch notes last night. I'm sitting here @ work now and just want to go home and install this :lol

Amneisac

Slackbladder said:
Why the fuck do I need to give Click and Buy my fucking mobile phone number? What if I don't have one? Jesus, I really hate this kind of bullshit.

They want to be able to call you and let you know they just sold your credit card info. to the Russians.

ithorien

All these new payment options reek of that new Discover card commercial on tv in the states.

Peggy?

And Londa, how do you expect people NOT to troll you when you promised gold with your blind faith, and nothing is being delivered. It'll all blow over when PS3 version launches and things are somewhat fixed.

squall211 said:
Make one up!
That never occured to me! But still, I hate this kind of nonsense.

Amneisac said:
They want to be able to call you and let you know they just sold your credit card info. to the Russians.
:lol Oh I'm sure they make money out of all this information they collect somehow or other.

I have a problem. I made a character and then the screen goes black (with the loading icon spinning) and I can hear stuff but it's still black. I Alt-Tab out and I get this - something like "FFXIV could not detect DirectX device. Shutting down". I mean, what bollocks is that?

nataku

Alt-tab, lol.

There is no alt-tabbing in this game unless you want to run windowed. FFXIV will crash every time you try.

CE is out for delivery, though I probably won't be able to install it until late tonight after work. Swing shift FTL.

Doodlebug

This thread needs more screenshots of people's characters. I love looking at them.

Would anyone be willing to screencap a character in creation to a given set of specifications? Please. I won't be playing until the PS3 release, so I'd like an image of the character I was toying around with to make into an avatar or something for now.

Race: Lalafell
Clan: Plainsfolk
Basic Appearance: Type 1
Height: Average
Voice: Type 3
Skin Tone: 3
Hairstyle: Style 1
Hair Colour: 20
Highlights: 29
Face: Type 2
Eyebrows: Type 2
Eye Shape: Type 1
Iris Size: Large
Eye Colour: 13
Nose: Type 3
Mouth: Type 3
Features: Type 1
Characteristics: 4
Ears: Type 1
Class: Gladiator

Amneisac

Salaadin said:
Still no alt tabbing? Well fuck.

This is one thing I'm not particularly surprised about. Oh how many times I accidentally hit the Windows Key in FFXI and fucking crashed my client.

Amneisac

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 23, 2010 9:00 to 12:00 (PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

And it begins...

Pietepiet

So far having a lot of fun. I started out as a Blacksmith. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make some weapons or something. I guess I have to combine it with Goldsmithing and Mining to get some mats?

Slackbladder said:
I have a problem. I made a character and then the screen goes black (with the loading icon spinning) and I can hear stuff but it's still black. I Alt-Tab out and I get this - something like "FFXIV could not detect DirectX device. Shutting down". I mean, what bollocks is that?
The game takes a while to load. As long as the load icon continues to spin, just let it be. If you want to alt-tab, gotta run in windowed-mode (which you can set with the config program in the start menu)

Jinko

You can run in windows mode with Valru's borderless addon, you'll prob lose a bit of performance but game runs like shit anyways so you'll be hard pressed to notice :lol

I'll post it here :-

Borderless Window Utility (credit to Valru)
What it does:
Gives you that look of being full-screen mode while being in windowed mode
Unfortunately because you are in windowed mode you will see the usual fps hit compared to full-screen mode

How to use:
1)Set FFXIV to Windowed Mode in the config
2)Run the exe of your choice depending on resolution, you should see a H icon in the traybar
3)Launch FFXIV, and once ingame hit CTRL+ALT+F to go to borderless window mode

I've included 5 exes for five common widescreen resolutions: 1280x720, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080 & 1920x1200

I have also included the script & the autohotkey installer for you to edit if you need a different resolution.

Code:
Code:

!^f:: WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A WinMove, A, , 0, 0, 1680, 1050 ;WinActivate, A return

Download 2.9mb
http://www.mediafire.com/?rkd3gylv7fb2u5o
http://usershare.net/lhlcqmee8n2w

You could also download windowerXIV http://www.windowerxiv.com/

lupinko

Jinko said:
Pancakes is making the guild, don't think he has the game yet, will have to wait until then.

Oh ok, good to know, I'll just go to Lindblum then. :D

I'll be heading out to eb in a bit to pick my CE this morning. :D

Amneisac

nataku said:
So what's the deal with female Roegadyn? Do they exsist, or is the race like the Galka from FFXI?

They are exactly like the Galka in everything but name, just like all the other races.

Salaadin

Jinko said:
You can run in windows mode with Valru's borderless addon, you'll prob lose a bit of performance but game runs like shit anyways so you'll be hard pressed to notice :lol

How much shittier is it? I wonder if todays maintenance is to help that.

ALso, there was some question about SEs billing system. If you log on to the SE account management system, you can see your next date of billing. Mine says 10/22 so it looks like they arent doing the mass billing of everyone at the beginning of the month.

nataku

Amneisac said:
They are exactly like the Galka in everything but name, just like all the other races.

Just found an interview from Eorzeapedia, so maybe not. Hmm

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/06/...view-with-hiromichi-tanaka-and-yasu-kurosawa/

Eorzeapedia: There is a growing group in the community who would like to see the implementation of Male Miqo’te and Female Roegadyn in FINAL FANTASY XIV. Are there plans to make these yet to be seen gender and race combination playable? If not, what made you decide not to work them into FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Tanaka: Actually all of the design is ready, so we were planning to implement them into the game, however during the development process we had to put priority with what to put into the game, and due to the man power issue we had to give up implementing them into the beginning of the game. You will see them as an NPC, but it is not a race that you can choose at the beginning. We’ll see how it goes in the future, it might be a possiblity. We are still looking into it.

Sallokin

Kagari said:
Got my copy... can't install until after class though. Going to be a long day :(

Ditto. And with finals just two weeks away for me. I may just have to keep it uninstalled for fear or ruining my education lol.

Amneisac

Salaadin said:
How much shittier is it? I wonder if todays maintenance is to help that.

ALso, there was some question about SEs billing system. If you log on to the SE account management system, you can see your next date of billing. Mine says 10/22 so it looks like they arent doing the mass billing of everyone at the beginning of the month.

They always did a prorated billing after your first free 30 days, so you would be billed a prorated rate from 10/22-10/31 and then you'd pay a full month starting 11/1.

Not sure how this is going to do it though, but I really hope they don't stick with the calendar monthly billing cycles. It's so awful.

Cathcart

Amneisac said:

Unless you ignore lore or...anything about them but looks I guess? For example, Lalafel do notauru speakies all cutesy-wutesy. Instead, they cut you.

Azrael

Pietepiet said:
So far having a lot of fun. I started out as a Blacksmith. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make some weapons or something. I guess I have to combine it with Goldsmithing and Mining to get some mats?

You need to skill up a bit to make weapons. Start with something easy like Bronze Needles (1 bronze nugget) and use leves to get to rank 5.

The first weapon Blacksmith can make which players will actually want is the Bronze Dagger, which is a rank 5 recipe. The recipe is Bronze Dagger Blade, Animal Glue, Brass Nugget, and a dagger grip (I forget which type of wood offhand), all of which can be purchased from NPC vendors.

Coldsnap

Jinko said:
Just completed "Souls gone Wild" you only get 6k now instead of 30k. well we all saw that coming I guess.

Jinko you were hating on the beta. What are your impressions of release? If it's like the beta will you stick around?

jiggle

someone test alt+tabing out of leve on purpose plz
and see if u can re-flag the leve like they said

this'll be a good way to skill up

oh fuck me, my sister took my car without asking
now i can't go pick up the fucking game
and she won't get back until after gamestop closes
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Pietepiet

Azrael said:
You need to skill up a bit to make weapons. Start with something easy like Bronze Needles (1 bronze nugget) and use leves to get to rank 5.

The first weapon Blacksmith can make which players will actually want is the Bronze Dagger, which is a rank 5 recipe. The recipe is Bronze Dagger Blade, Animal Glue, Brass Nugget, and a dagger grip (I forget which type of wood offhand), all of which can be purchased from NPC vendors.

Ah nice, thanks! :) I'm almost at Rank 5 already by just doing leves.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I just entered the code for "Right of Passage". It seems you have to type everything "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX" or else you get an error. Unless it was just screwing with me lol

Just a heads up!

Cmagus

Went into the store and bought it.I orginally pre-ordered it online but they weren't going to ship it till days later so I cancelled and just went in.They didn't have them on the store shelves had to ask someone to get one in the back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom