• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

It doesn't specify ARR.. but I never got into the FF XIV 1.0 beta..

I'm legacy, so I know I'm getting in anyway but the wait for the email sucks :(

Strange, no email or anything on my account page.

Baaahhh They forgot me ;.;

Edit:- NVM it should specify ARR.

Allard

I have a feeling that my male Lalafell from 1.0 might be getting a race/sex change come launch of ARR.

Will have to play with race options during the first couple phases of beta.

And I have heard that the media from the tour this week will not be released until just before the LIVE Letter on the 22nd. Could be wrong though, I personally was hoping to see new images this weekend.

Media tour will likely get released the day of or the day after the London version commences, probably need to give 1 day minimum so any media write ups in the EU can be done so all articles go up around the same time. At least we won't need to wait for the Japanese media tour since that was secretly already done. The real question is whether or not they are doing the london version of the media tour on the weekend or on a weekday. If they do it this weekend then maybe we will get a our 'media' splash on Monday, if not yeah it probably won't happen till Wednesday or Thursday right before Yoshida comes back.

Munba

It seems this time we'll have a solid chara customization..

attachment.php

Ahah :D

Allard

In terms of hair I think they are just taking all the hair styles from every race and just letting you put them on whatever you like with a mix of 'some' new hairstyles that got added with the 3 new race/gender combos. Most the Roe female hair thus far has been pretty new but all the 'new' hair' thus far on the vanilla races has just been hair swaps thus far (they are obviously new hair models, but they are still all based on pre-existing hair in game). They might sneak in some new hair here and there though, back before the game first started they showed the traditional 'onion hair' look from FFXI on the Lalafell before the idea of a barber shop got postponed.

Jinko

I'd kill for a female hairstyle that is basically a floor-length 'do, or "black" hairstyles for guys. Maybe even a Paul Phoenix tower of power lol

Yea I would too, but the time you factor in armour clipping, physics and animation its doesn't sound as good.

I got a reminder to sign up for the beta so far, nothing else :(

NinjaJesus

Jijidasu

I'm interested to see what they've done with the Hyuran faces and hair the most.

Also, Bayohne tweeted he had just met Kagari, so I'm assuming she is present for the interview session today. I propose we heckle her for details!

Heh. I wouldn't fault XIV for that too harshly when 98% of games do it. According to most developers, all black guys are either bald or have some goofy-ass cropped afro. Even worse if you if you want to play as a black female.

I have found it strange that with most MMO character creators you can make the guys look like anything you want with minimal fuss, but attempting to make a black woman will simply produce a Japanese girl with dark skin

I have found it strange that with most MMO character creators you can make the guys look like anything you want with minimal fuss, but attempting to make a black woman will simply produce a Japanese girl with dark skin

Really drives home the nail when thinking of the term "Minority".

Riposte

I think afros and haircuts of that style would be stupid in this game, but I'm all for afro-texture hair (especially for the girls).

With limited options XIV enforced consistency with its character creator. I wonder how much consistency will be found in this one. I generally do not want goofy looking characters in my game.

I guess one major problem in fantasy games in general is that they neglect race for fantasy race. Fantasy races are overwhelmingly European too, but then trying to equate the demi-human fantasy races with real races could get real bad real fast (especially considering this is a Japanese game).

gillty

Banned
Its a fantasy game, why do fantasy races with dark skin options have to look of african descent or reflect african-american culture?

Not saying that dark skins look right to the my mind either but either way it has to be said that these races are not human regardless of their humanoid features, its pretty much a given that the races will reflect the artists upbringing.

Just so we're clear its not like the hairstyles, skin pigments, or facial structures in video games ever reflect my own descent and I'm mixed descent similar to the features of people with persian descent; more than often, the closest thing is a latin looking character.

Fantasy should stick to fantasy, races should have customization options appropriate to the fantasy setting, climates and cultures they hail from.

Jijidasu

New blog is up. JP facebook side said a few days until benchmark will be launched. I'm pretty certain this means once the UK press interviews are concluded they'll throw us the scraps.

NinjaJesus

Its a fantasy game, why do fantasy races with dark skin options have to look of african descent or reflect african-american culture?

Not saying that dark skins look right to the my mind either but either way it has to be said that these races are not human regardless of their humanoid features, its pretty much a given that the races will reflect the artists upbringing.

Just so we're clear its not like the hairstyles, skin pigments, or facial structures in video games ever reflect my own descent and I'm mixed descent similar to the features of people with persian descent; more than often, the closest thing is a latin looking character.

Fantasy should stick to fantasy, races should have customization options appropriate to the fantasy setting, climates and cultures they hail from.

I'm not sayin' dark skin = black. I'm sayin' I want some blacker hairstyles/features in general.

Animekatt

This so much. But atleast with this game, I can have *some* features for the face that can make it look a little more black for me.

You make a valid point but it ignores the truth of the matter. Alot of gamers like to create avatars that look like themselves. The creators of games that give customization options normally have an ideal in mind, so characters created can be compared to specific ethnic backgrounds. Alot of MMO's mainly allow you to create avatars with features of European Caucasians then European Asian mixes. The Latin, Black, or heavy Asian looks are found less often. I am sure designers can find a way to create more looks that represent different backgrounds without sacrificing artistic look of the world and its inhabitants.

gillty

Banned
You make a valid point but it ignores the truth of the matter. Alot of gamers like to create avatars that look like themselves. The creators of games that give customization options normally have an ideal in mind, so characters created can be compared to specific ethnic backgrounds. Alot of MMO's mainly allow you to create avatars with features of European Caucasians then European Asian mixes. The Latin, Black, or heavy Asian looks are found less often. I am sure designers can find a way to create more looks that represent different backgrounds without sacrificing artistic look of the world and its inhabitants.

Meh, maybe its me but I play these games for escapism, a taru-taru / lallefell are pretty much the exact opposite of myself.

I just think that people should know what to expect from a development team pretty much entirely Japanese, I can see your point, but for me I don't think you can expect designers and artists to create something they do not know without ending up with something silly like Sazh from FF13.

Furthermore, I believe any such aesthetic additions to the races after the fact will lead to something very off, these are races very much set-in-stone especially when you consider their aesthetic evolution from FFXI. The time if any to have done this would have been in the designs for the original FFXIV.

I think afros and haircuts of that style would be stupid in this game, but I'm all for afro-texture hair (especially for the girls).

With limited options XIV enforced consistency with its character creator. I wonder how much consistency will be found in this one. I generally do not want goofy looking characters in my game.

I guess one major problem in fantasy games in general is that they neglect race for fantasy race. Fantasy races are overwhelmingly European too, but then trying to equate the demi-human fantasy races with real races could get real bad real fast (especially considering this is a Japanese game).

I agree. It's not a matter of much to give my character hair that clearly looks 'black' but to put the texturing and visual design under a different lens rather than just 'generic European' (I can't articulate how much that Midlander Hyur exasperates me now). Hell, that goes for all the XIV races intersecting with any reality-based races in terms of visual design. I'm just speaking from a biased viewpoint so the contrast is at its starkest for me in any game with character creation. For example, I can't recall too much in XIV that evoked an Asian aesthetic towards most of Eorzea's characters, which is odd considering the development team, but like I previously stated---it's not like it's new or exclusive to FFXIV to begin with so I've become rather indifferent towards it.

Addendum to my previous post: Some games also give us---cornrows!

I was totally being unfair.

/sarcasm

Also, everybody should post pictures of their characters. ;D

NinjaJesus

pKVccMd.jpg

Yes, my name is dumb. Hopefully I will have the option of changing it...

F78Gc.jpg

Had the same character in FFXI :3 (I'm so bad with names D:)

Jijidasu

Couple of pictures that mean a lot. Because I was busy with work and other stuff during the time the relic reborn quest line was released I only managed to keep up with my guild (who killed Ifrit Extreme first on our server) up until the last part I never had time to join in when they were doing it. In the last few weeks after most of the members (We only have 9 active members) had completely finished all of their relics they organised it so I could login and we managed to clear it. Feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom