• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenderoni

Neo Member
I'm a bit confused... I have release date shipping so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. How do some of you guys already have the game? I never fooled around with the beta so tomorrow will be my very first take at the game. Can we set up the initial stuff before the game arrives (like whatever SE is using instead of PlayOnline)? How do we choose our server and what is the name of the gaf LS? Getting excited!!!!!!

Amneisac

Jinko said:
But but but ... Retail build > Beta build.

Pay by Paypal guys its the best way that I can see and probably the safest.

Where are you seeing a PayPal option? Or are you just using PayPal to setup a subscription billing thing somehow.

Edit: Ok, I see now, go to buy Crysta and then go to UltimatePay. Why buy Crysta now though, it's so stupid, I can only buy in $5.00 increments.

Salaadin

tenderoni said:
I'm a bit confused... I have release date shipping so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. How do some of you guys already have the game? I never fooled around with the beta so tomorrow will be my very first take at the game. Can we set up the initial stuff before the game arrives (like whatever SE is using instead of PlayOnline)? How do we choose our server and what is the name of the gaf LS? Getting excited!!!!!!

A lot of the people getting it are in Europe and Canada. I dont know why but whatever. Lucky them :D

Also, read this:
Notice to Those Who Purchased FINAL FANTASY XIV Collectors Edition
Upon the start of early access on Sep. 21, 2010, server congestion on the Square Enix Account Management System is anticipated. In order to make sure that your adventure begins as smoothly as possible, we recommend that you complete the following steps beforehand:

1. Register a Square Enix Account
For those of you who have not yet obtained a Square Enix account, please complete the registration process at the Square Enix Account Management Site: http://account.square-enix.com/regist/

2. Selecting a Payment Method
Monthly subscription fees for FINAL FANTASY XIV can be paid for by direct payment using credit card or debit card (requires a Click & Buy account) or by using Crysta. For customers planning on paying with credit cards or debit cards, please log in to the Square Enix Account Management System ( http://account.square-enix.com/ ), and then click on the "Register/Update Payment Method" button on the left side of the screen to register your payment card information.

Servers are now selectable from a list when you create your character. GAF Server is Lindblum. Due to congestion, it might not be immediately available so just back out a wait a few minutes and try again if thats the case.

GAF Linkshell is Stars of Destiny.

Heres a list of the current GAF players and their servers/cities/jobs:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

Theres also a tab on the bottom for the Lindblum sackholders.

Amneisac

Why does it have to be so hard with Square Enix all the time? FFXI had a terrible billing policy and we're definitely off to a bad start with FFXIV. Do we know what the billing cycles are going to be? Are they going to keep doing the same billed on the first of each calendar month bullshit?

Jinko

Goto Add crysta, select amount, Click ultimate pay and its one of the options.

US
uscrysta.png

UK
ukcrysta.png

Jbird34

tenderoni said:
Can we set up the initial stuff before the game arrives (like whatever SE is using instead of PlayOnline)? How do we choose our server and what is the name of the gaf LS? Getting excited!!!!!!

Yes you can go ahead and setup your SEmembers account and add payment method. You will pick a server from the list like most other MMO's and the name of the LS is Stars Of Destiny

Zomba13

Ok, I'm all set up, if people want the torrent files uploaded I'll put them up on megaupload or something in a bit.
How does payment work? The manual is rubbish and I can't find the monthly fee. Do we have to use some 3rd party payment option? Why can't we do like in XI where we just give SE or details. Why do we need to register with other things?

EDIT: Found the price on the lodestone site. £6.89 per 30 days is quite cheap isn't it? Cheaper than I thought it'd be anyway.

Salaadin

Lodestone is up:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Prepation details for Official Service:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=7a41e844af20588357070470ffbbd51aa3b757a1

Prelive FAQ:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=77cc45cab7e13b64ffc58a36c979abcd50dc172e

Synthesis
Q. How can I review recipes that I receive on local levequests?
A. At present, there is no way to review a recipe once it has been obtained. We are currently looking into means to make working with recipes easier, but until a system has been settled upon, players can find a recipe database on the FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone by navigating to Play Guide >> Synthesis, and then selecting the skill the recipes of which they wish to browse.

User Interface
Q. Will I be able to keep the actions set to my action bars when I change classes?
A. Beginning with the launch of game service, action bars will no longer reset when players change classes. Actions that can no longer be used once a class change is made will simply not consume action points. In this manner, players will no longer find themselves without sufficient action points to equip the actions they desire when changing from, for example, a miner to a gladiator. In addition, by employing user-defined macros, players can change their class, equipped gear, and actions simultaneously.

Q. Is there a way I can send a /tell to another player without having to type out the player's full name?
A. By opening the auto-translate dictionary feature and scrolling to the Audience option, players can view a list containing the names of nearby players. The list will also contain the names of people from whom the player has received /tells, as well as those to whom /tells have been sent. Further, a shortcut command (CTRL+R) will be added for quick and easy replying.

Theres a whole load of other info there so check it out.

Teknoman

Wait so the monthly fee is 13 dollars right? So thats basically 1,300 crysta?

I guess they are trying to make it easier for people without credit/debit cards...

Amneisac

But if you buy Crysta you're paying MORE than the monthly fee since you can't buy the exact right amount, and I don't like the idea of giving them more cash when I just spent $75 for the CE and I haven't even used by 30 free days yet. Sure, I can setup recurring billing and I understand I'll be charged after my 30 free days, but paying ahead of time is just annoying.

I'm going to give Click and Buy a shot, I've got good security on my Credit Card and there's no way SE would partner with a sketchy company, RIGHT?

I'm so disappointed in myself as a consumer for continuing down this road with FFXIV, there have been so many warning signs so blindly ignored.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Wait so the monthly fee is 13 dollars right? So thats basically 1,300 crysta?

I guess they are trying to make it easier for people without credit/debit cards...

Looks to be more like 800 crysta, if you look at the screens above.

Although if you're rigth and we have to pay more for using crysta they can go shove that idea.

Teknoman

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/envi/envi04.html

Fee Type Service Period Fee (*1)
Basic Account Fee (*2) 30 days $9.99 (or 999 Crysta)
90 days $26.97 (or 2,697 Crysta)
180 days $47.94 (or 4,794 Crysta)
Character Fee 30 days $3.00 (or 300 Crysta)

*1 Service fees can also be paid by using Square Enix Crysta.
*2 To play FINAL FANTASY XIV, you will need to pay a basic account fee and fees for each character.

Thats what it says for me. So then...is the character fee counting our initial character, or just extra people made after we already have one?

Amneisac

demosthenes said:
Just registered my card w/ Click and Buy without a problem.

I also went with ClickandBuy, I think it's legitimate (from what I can tell) and I like paying for exactly what I'm getting. I also dislike 'funny money' like CRYSTA and ms points (at least MS points can go on sale, that will never happen with crysta).

Zomba13

Heres the torrents for the patches.

2d2a390f
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1RBJ65J2

48eca647
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N9Q1WP9I

They go in C:\Users\name\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv
then the number up there then patch. Once the game is installed from the disc put the .patch file in the patch folder in that directory and it'll install them from there.

EDIT: Wait. So the 'basic account fee' is waht we pay for the account, then we have to pay the £2.10 a month for our first character too? I suppose that brings it up to £9 a month or around that depending on how long you pay for the account at a time =/

Teknoman said:

*2 To play FINAL FANTASY XIV, you will need to pay a basic account fee and fees for each character.

Thats what it says for me. So then...is the character fee counting our initial character, or just extra people made after we already have one?

We're supposed to get one char and one retainer. So I would guess that's in addition.

Salaadin

Teknoman said:

The fee they gave us was 12.99 so it looks like thats the Basic Account + character fee together. WHat confuses me is that they dont mention retainers there. One retainer is supposed to be included with the account and then its 1 dollar for every extra.

EDIT: Thanks ZOmba

Amneisac

Just a heads up to anyone who intends to pay with a credit card through ClickandBuy, my credit card e-mailed me for confirmation on the transaction (I guess since it was in London) - so you may want to do this ahead of time to be sure you don't get held up with authorization while you're trying to play the game.

It was a $2.50 USD charge. (I'm assuming this is just a pre-authorization charge and not an actual fee since SE says it's free to use ClickandBuy)

Salaadin

Amneisac said:
Just a heads up to anyone who intends to pay with a credit card through ClickandBuy, my credit card e-mailed me for confirmation on the transaction (I guess since it was in London) - so you may want to do this ahead of time to be sure you don't get held up with authorization while you're trying to play the game.

It was a $2.50 USD charge. (I'm assuming this is just a pre-authorization charge and not an actual fee since SE says it's free to use ClickandBuy)

My bank called me as well to authorize it.

tenderoni said:
Thinking of being either a Conjurer or a Thaumaturge. Thoughts? Also, what are the torrents for?

Game patches. You can download them using torrents outside of SEs own shitty updater and then just move the files where they need to go. Its much faster that way.

Im assuming that retail patches are the same are beta patches in that it doesnt matter if we are US, EU, or Canada.

Amneisac said:

Just got this e-mail as well.

Amneisac

tenderoni said:
Thinking of being either a Conjurer or a Thaumaturge. Thoughts? Also, what are the torrents for?

1. Chromeo rocks

2. I only played a few days of the open beta, so I might not be the best person to answer this, but in my experience, you'll wind up playing them both eventually. If you played FFXI, it's like asking should you play a BLM or WHM, you'll eventually have to play each of them so you'll learn which you prefer as you play more.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
CON is pretty much a BLM and a WHM in the same job, since CON has both cures/buffs, and nukes. You can tailor your CON build to be heavy offense, or heavy defense, or a mix of both.

THA concentrates more on debuffs.

If you go CON main, you don't really have a pressing need to sub THA.

If you go THA main, you probably want to sub CON for a little while for some of the more useful spells like Stoneskin and Shockspikes.

nataku

I thought the servers didn't open until tomorrow.

Amazon still hasn't shipped my CE. Usually things arrive a day early when I choose release date delivery. I probably would have been better off getting it at Gamestop.

CE probably won't arrive until after I'm at work (3pm-11:30pm), which means I probably won't be on until tomorrow late night or Thursday morning.

tenderoni

Neo Member
Thanks for all the help/advice! Just set up a ClickandPay account. Why does everything involving SE feel like you are going in circles? Is it just me? I feel like I had to enter my user name and password and agree to their terms like 10 times (ok maybe exaggerating a bit) before being able to edit my payment method.

tenderoni

Neo Member
Rentahamster said:
CON is pretty much a BLM and a WHM in the same job, since CON has both cures/buffs, and nukes. You can tailor your CON build to be heavy offense, or heavy defense, or a mix of both.

THA concentrates more on debuffs.

If you go CON main, you don't really have a pressing need to sub THA.

If you go THA main, you probably want to sub CON for a little while for some of the more useful spells like Stoneskin and Shockspikes.

Oh I see. I think I will go CON with heavy defense.

careksims

My goodness at the whole payment thing X_x. Why can't it just be easy!?!!!!! Gah SE! Tomorrow!!! AAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Thanks Zomba for the torrents! N/M they are gone X_x

notworksafe

demosthenes said:
I'm sure you said the same thing when XI first came out.
When FFXI came out here it already had an expansion and many of the glaring issues were fixed.

Also, I see that Square has still decided to go with an obtuse and needlessly silly payment system? Why not just take real, human money and not Bizarro Land Square Bucks? Does it autobill on the first of each month I wonder?

Kyoufu said:
Why do we even have to go through this payment process when the CE comes with 30 days free?
How else will they autobill people that forget to cancel after the first month? :lol Every MMO does the same thing with their trials for the same reason.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
tenderoni said:
Oh I see. I think I will go CON with heavy defense.
Just to clarify "heavy offense" and "heavy defense"

The "mind" stat increases magical defense, MP pool, and cure spell potency.

The "intelligence" stat increases offensive spell power.

Amneisac

I don't see any problem with setting up your automatic billing method, that's pretty standard for any subscription service (not just in video games), but buying CRYSTA before the game has even come out just seems stupid to me. Especially when you can't buy the exact amount of crysta to pay the month's sub.

Oh well, I'm still excited for tomorrow, but I don't know why I ever expected a lot of this stuff to change.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Ok, the patchs are at ussualy location. Mor info about in online thread.

Keep the info there. Thanks,. :)

Jinko

Zomba those patch files getting hammered, should have posted in the beta forum :lol

I guess I'll wait for gromph. (or not .. looks above)

tenderoni

Neo Member
Rentahamster said:
Just to clarify "heavy offense" and "heavy defense"

The "mind" stat increases magical defense, MP pool, and cure spell potency.

The "intelligence" stat increases offensive spell power.

So just like XI... WHM = MND, BLM = INT.

careksims

That was confusing. So if I choose Click and Buy, I don't need these Crysta stuff. Right? Also registered my gauntlets. I guess I'm good to go tomorrow.

Jinko

tenderoni said:
So just like XI... WHM = MND, BLM = INT.

No MND is linked to your MP pool so even Conjurer will need a lot of points in MND.

LOL there are recipes on the Lodestone Easy mode !

Looks like it tells you the required secondary skill for some recipes aswell.

Canti

Damnit. I was wondering all day if I'd selected super saver or release date delivery on Amazon, thought I'd check/change to next day when I got home from work. Just got back and it was dispatched this afternoon under super saver, estimated delivery date 23rd-28th September T________T

Amneisac

careksims said:
That was confusing. So if I choose Click and Buy, I don't need these Crysta stuff. Right? Also registered my gauntlets. I guess I'm good to go tomorrow.

That is correct with the exception of whatever super cool virtual items SE eventually tries to sucker you into buying with Crysta.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Nice!

Your Amazon.co.uk order has dispatched

WTF, you mean all that crap is actually their payment method, can you buy a monthly time card?

londa said:
keywords: "i think"

This may be a shock to your senses.
But,
Just because you may not want to buy the game, doesn't stop others from wanting to buy it.

I know its unfair. But I'm sure you can deal with it.

Londa <3

demosthenes said:
I'm sure you said the same thing when XI first came out.

never played it mate.

Amneisac

I applied the FFXIII code along time ago, and I have the FFXIV code for the armguards, can I activate it now before I have the game or do I need to wait?

Amneisac said:
I applied the FFXIII code along time ago, and I have the FFXIV code for the armguards, can I activate it now before I have the game or do I need to wait?

From what I read you're supposed to be able to do it now. Once it's linked chars you make will get them.

I did mine when I got XIII so I hope I did everything! >_<

Jinko

fizzelopeguss said:
WTF, you mean all that crap is actually their payment method, can you buy a monthly time card?

I think they plan to have crysta cards in Japan, anyones guess if they make it to the US/EU though.

What makes me laugh is that most of the "alternative" methods to pay require you to have a debit card in the first place.

Makes ya scratch your head a bit, would have been nice if they had sorted this out weeks ago, a bank transfer isn't guna work for most people considering it starts tomorrow, d'oh SE fails again.

Salaadin

Click and Buy is stupid. They wouldnt take my debit card and my bank called 3 times to make sure the card was ok and even questioned the Amazon charge because they happened around the same time.

I switched to a different card and they accepted it but then when I went to buy crysta, it was denied and the bank called me. Fuck that.

Paypal it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom