• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWong

Banned
Londa said:
There are other MMO's that will not follow that path and I encourage them. Instant gratification is what is going to ruin MMO's.

Things will end up like this:

"at level 5 I can already fly, own a planet and have access to nuclear bombs!"

"so what else is there to play for?"

"I can enjoy buying new mounts for 5 dollars real money every other month!"

"-_-;"
Sounds like you know nothing about raiding.

It's a shame that apparently the game has some major problems. Was looking forward to playing an MMO again and since Square has yet to let me down I thought XIV would be the one to. It's also a shame that any Square/FF hater now has new ammo in their trolling regardless if they played the game or not.

Still I watched the GT review and while some arguments they made seemed correct, a lot of the others seemed to be bitching because the game isn't exactly in line with what they think games should be like compared to the genre leader. It reminds me of the recent Castlevannia review where they complained it wasn't as good as its genre leaders because of all the exploration and puzzles. I had to smh at that. The game likes really complicated, but it looks like it has some interesting mechanics that make you figure them out, just like XI and I really like that. So as I was watching the review, all I could say is this game actually looks pretty good.

So I'll be getting the PS3 version when it releases. Hopefully some fixes will be in place, but if they aren't I'm still interested in actually trying the game out for myself. I do wish a free trial was out there so I could see how my pc can handle the game.

Londa

Banned
CcrooK said:
How could she if she hasn't even played the game? Oh right. Videos. Sudden expert of the all knowing powers of the universe.

Funny how I didn't even mention WoW but yet it automatically gets applied.

LowParry

Londa said:
Funny how I didn't even mention WoW but yet it automatically gets applied.

Cause that's all you ever compare FFXIV to! FFS! :lol

Edit: Why don't you instead use comparisons to MMO's that you have played. Then maybe, just maybe you'd might make sense.

faridmon

Holy crap! Just watched gametrailers review and man, is the game in a poor state. I am baffled how the defenders of this game can defend £40 + £8 a month for this game.

LowParry

Londa said:
Actually no. I replied to people talking about how WoW is better, when it really isn't. Great try tho.

How the fuck would you even know that when you HAVEN'T. PLAYED. THE. GAME!

Khrno

Haunted said:
Well that's.... uh, little consolation.

Not really, if you compare XIV with XI, and everyone should. XI was a mess at launch, and even worst than what XIV is, by early 2008, I ranked the game as the second best FF game, just behind VI and over XII.

Right now, even tho I don't play XI anymore, I'd say it's gone down the way of the casuals, and yeah, taht's a bad thing for FFXI, mixed together with the level cap raise that just made 6 years of content almost obsolete. How I loved side-ways progression, best thing ever.

Anyway, if XIV follows a similar development path as XI, it will hit a very high cap in a few years, and that's a very good thing.

Kagari said:
Nah, 13 is still worse.

The thing is that 13 is an almost perfect piece of software with bad unchangeable design. Meanwhile 14 is an unoptimized and bugged piece of software, with a huge empty shell waiting to be filled up with content and *promised* features.

From my point of view, 14 is at a loss with 13 right now, because of the code and server issues, content will come sooner than later, but server and ui stability needs to come now.

Londa

Banned
Londa said:
Actually no. I replied to people talking about how WoW is better, when it really isn't. Great try tho.

why is Londa defending the game, if it is so good, play the damn game.

Why are you trolling the game, if it is so bad, play the game you enjoy.

See what I did there?

Celsior

Londa said:

See what I did there?
I haven't trolled the game at all, I just said I will not buy it because of the bad reviews.
You are pretty much confirm the game is crap to me.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
JWong said:
Sounds like you know nothing about raiding.
Yeah this is probably one of my main favorite influences WoW took from EQ, because of their experiences as hardcore EQ players the WoW team understood how important endgame content was. When I first started playing WoW (I started during Wrath), a friend ported my still low level toon to Dalaran and I was shocked to see how almost everyone in Dalaran was at the level cap (80) yet they were still running around, being active and doing things even though they were max level. It made me excited to know that there was really something worth working my way all the way up to level 80 for.

Babalu.

Ragnarok Online was the BEEEEEST!

I still dream of poporings eating my soul!

YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT MMO's IF YOU DIDN"T PLAY RAGNAROK ONLINE back when it was in open beta (free)

holy fuck gametrailers just ripped ff14 a new asshole! :lol

wow.... well i guess its just down to cataclysm and SWTOR

Babalu. said:
YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT MMO's IF YOU DIDN"T PLAY RAGNAROK ONLINE

lolURWRONG.gif

Londa

Banned
Dresden said:
Hey, that sounds like something the people you argue with did.

And I welcome them to do that very same thing. I wonder why I am getting misunderstood on this. I want you all that hate the game, not to play it. Don't waste another moment with it!

LowParry

ZombieSupaStar said:
holy fuck gametrailers just ripped ff14 a new asshole! :lol

wow.... well i guess its just down to cataclysm and SWTOR

Don't forget the 40k MMO. I really hope that turns out good cause the lore is fantastic.

Mrbob

dream said:
:lol

Has Square ever explained why they roll their MMOs into the Final Fantasy mainline series?

One of my friends won't even recognize FF11 and FF14 as mainline FF games. He calls FF12 FF11 and FF13 FF12. He also calls FF14 Final Fantasy Online 2. :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Londa said:
There are other MMO's that will not follow that path and I encourage them. Instant gratification is what is going to ruin MMO's.

Things will end up like this:

"at level 5 I can already fly, own a planet and have access to nuclear bombs!"

"so what else is there to play for?"

"I can enjoy buying new mounts for 5 dollars real money every other month!"

"-_-;"

It's amusing that you rail against that type of design when FFXIV is Square's attempt to do exactly that.

Kandinsky

The 3:10 mark in gametrailers video review is fucking sad, i just can't believe how barren and empty those zones still are :/

DaBuddaDa

Londa said:

See what I did there?
This is a thread about the 4/10 reviews the game is getting, that's why. For positive discussion, we have the OT.

Kyoufu

Kagari said:
Nah, 13 is still worse.

They are both regressions in their respective genres. The class system in FFXIV is far superior which makes it the better game, but both are pretty much neck and neck in mediocrity.

FFXIV at least has time to improve.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Khrno said:
Not really, if you compare XIV with XI, and everyone should. XI was a mess at launch, and even worst than what XIV is, by early 2008, I ranked the game as the second best FF game, just behind VI and over XII.

Right now, even tho I don't play XI anymore, I'd say it's gone down the way of the casuals, and yeah, taht's a bad thing for FFXI, mixed together with the level cap raise that just made 6 years of content almost obsolete. How I loved side-ways progression, best thing ever.

Anyway, if XIV follows a similar development path as XI, it will hit a very high cap in a few years, and that's a very good thing.
I don't remember XI ever being even remotely as bad as XIV is right now. Then again, I didn't play it before XI's US beta, at which point the game's first expansion was already on the way out in Japan, so I suppose it's not a really fair comparison on my part.

Londa

Banned
MetatronM said:
I don't remember XI ever being even remotely as bad as XIV is right now. Then again, I didn't play it before XI's US beta, at which point the game's first expansion was already on the way out in Japan, so I suppose it's not a really fair comparison on my part.

There is a site floating around with all the version updates leading up to NA release.

Kyoufu

Khrno said:
Not really, if you compare XIV with XI, and everyone should. XI was a mess at launch, and even worst than what XIV is

HAHAHAHAHA

The only game comparable to this mess of an MMO launch is Age of Conan, but at least in AoC I could grind my way to level cap rather than face obstacles such as random/no SP or fatigue.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Londa said:
They are? How so?

Compare FFXIV to FFXI, it's not hard to see what direction they've moved in, and it certainly is not toward the "more hardcore, no instant gratification" camp.

Khrno

MetatronM said:

I mentioned exactly that before, we got a one and half year old FFXI with many content updates, fixes and one expansion. While we are getting a rushed bare-bones unoptimized FFXIV, of course that's not excuse for SE to have released the game in such state tho.

But anyone thinking that the game will just remain like this months and years down the road, is just been silly, and that's why I bring up FFXI as example and reference, since sadly (and hopefully gladly) they are sharing many development similarities.

Kyoufu said:
HAHAHAHAHA

The only game comparable to this mess of an MMO launch is Age of Conan, but at least in AoC I could grind my way to level cap rather than face obstacles such as random/no SP or fatigue.

2001 is not 2003.

I didn't actually think FF13 was too terrible. Significantly better both gameplaywise and storywise than FF12 at least. The main story arc was completely nonsensical, poorly written, and thrown together, but I liked the interaction between the characters and all that. Very flawed game but still was worth playing through.

On a side note, I just started playing LotRO (3 years too late), and, while it's not a very good game, it's the perfect example of how modern MMOs should be modelling things. It actually looked at World of Warcraft and saw what it did well, looked at the bad parts of World of Warcraft and tried to improve upon them, and in general tried to be a good evolution of a genre instead of another general thrown together MMO cash-in "me too".

Noone's asking modern MMOs to BE "World of Warcraft with a different skin". But it's just stupid to completely ignore the strides forward that WoW made.

Londa said:
Its called researching the game and concluding it is not something I will enjoy.

Care to clarify on specifically what you wouldn't enjoy about it?

just calling her out; I know she won't because she doesn't know anything about the game except for the fact that it doesn't start with the words final fantasy; will just resort to another strawman/ad hominem or completely ignore the post like normal

JWong

Banned
CcrooK said:
How could she if she hasn't even played the game? Oh right. Videos. Sudden expert of the all knowing powers of the universe.
If she seen videos of a raid, she wouldn't have said that. Raids are awesome to play and to watch. Illidan, Kil'jaeden, and Yogg Saron world first... too awesome.
Babalu. said:
Ragnarok Online was the BEEEEEST!

I still dream of poporings eating my soul!

YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT MMO's IF YOU DIDN"T PLAY RAGNAROK ONLINE back when it was in open beta (free)
Ragnarok Online is soooooo good. I love the openess of character builds. My favourite MMO prior to WoW.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Mister Zimbu said:
Care to clarify on specifically what you wouldn't enjoy about it?

just calling her out; I know she won't because she doesn't know anything about the game except for the fact that it doesn't start with the words final fantasy; will just resort to another strawman/ad hominem or completely ignore the post like normal
Londa already made it clear WoW is more of an easy/instant gratification type of game, this is something WoW players themselves complain about constantly, just look at the neogaf WoW thread. (I personally like easier games so I don't mind it.)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
2eq9h7t.png

score breakdowns out of a hundred are just hilarious to me.

I love that out of a hundred the story was a 57, which is to say, three points short of 60 but you know, slightly better than a 55 or 56.

if people can't look at something like this and think to ourselves "our system means nothing below a 6", then I don't know what's wrong with them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Haunted said:
Has Famitsu already reviewed the game or will that be done in one of the next issues?

No, and S-E was telling western outlets at least, to wait a bit until after launch to review the game... to let the game 'mature' and to instead write little progress reports and maybe later do a review.

Londa

Banned
Gameplay: can only have one job on a single character. Only job that may interest me is Rogue and it look lame imo. I know Rogue is suppose to be powerful but its not my style. The game just looks really easy and the add-ons I heard about seem really sad. The add on to tell you where to stand is just pathetic imo.
Doesn't look like there is much challenge to the game other than the raids. Seems targeted to anyone with a short attention span. Work very little for big gain.

Graphics : looks really bad. The character creation makes all females look ugly. Bad textures, mounts look out of place. Motorcycles? really now?

Story: you read most of it from a text box. CS are not interesting. Boring over all when it comes to story.

Controls: cant tell you because I didn't play it. But I did hear about how some tanks can roll their head on the keyboard and still be able to tank.

I know I will get flamed for this :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
AoC was actually fun at launch (on a FFA PvP server, anyway) despite its numerous flaws. Yeah, it crashed all the time and wasn't optimized, but at least it's design was sound.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The sole purpose of decimals is to differentiate one game review from another.

So game X's story is slightly better than game Y's story, but not as good as game Z's story.

It is very hilarious when you try to think about what makes a 3.1 story different from a 3.2 story.
Gameplay: can only have one job on a single character. Only job that may interest me is Rogue and it look lame imo. I know Rogue is suppose to be powerful but its not my style. The game just looks really easy and the add-ons I heard about seem really sad. The add on to tell you where to stand is just pathetic imo.
Doesn't look like there is much challenge to the game other than the raids. Seems targeted to anyone with a short attention span. Work very little for big gain.
A raid might not require a lot of work but it does require a lot of patience.

I mean like, a LOT of patience.
Graphics : looks really bad. The character creation makes all females look ugly. Bad textures, mounts look out of place. Motorcycles? really now?
Translation: I want to roll a pretty animu elf like in Lineage!

Story: you read most of it from a text box. CS are not interesting. Boring over all when it comes to story.
Considering I read nearly all of my stories it's not a big deal. And I liked Warcraft's lore enough to just read pages of it on wiki.

Controls: cant tell you because I didn't play it. But I did hear about how some tanks can roll their head on the keyboard and still be able to tank.
Depends on which instance, difficulty, class and timeframe you're talking about.

Haunted

Kagari said:
No, and S-E was telling western outlets at least, to wait a bit until after launch to review the game... to let the game 'mature' and to instead write little progress reports and maybe later do a review.
Telling indeed.

Londa

Banned
Rez said:
2eq9h7t.png

score breakdowns out of a hundred are just hilarious to me.

I love that out of a hundred the story was a 57, which is to say, three points short of 60 but you know, slightly better than a 55 or 56.

if people can't look at something like this and think to ourselves "our system means nothing below a 6", then I don't know what's wrong with them.

Wow Design and Presentation is under 8 points. They are clearly bias and just want to join in on the negative reaction this game has been getting, so they can get more views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom