• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relix said:
And I wanted to make this my first MMORPG :lol

World of Warcraft, on december 7 when the world is remade to 2.0. Pick up the three expansions(BC and WOTLK are very cheap) and have fun in the first free month. the game has an incredible amount of content(6 years worth of post release content) and it will have many new players making new characters to see the new world, so it will be easy to make friends.

your in a perfect situation my friend. you will be able to feel a launch, but unlike other launches of MMOs this one wont be crazy with MMO launch problem, because its an expansion that alters the base game of a old game. so its like a relaunch of wow, and that draws a lot of old players back.

Khrno

Relix said:
So you can be joined by delusional people as well?

PxzMp.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
By your reasoning if you spent $60 of your hard earned bucks and the game sucks you should just... stop playing it. Really? Are you serious or are you a viral marketer of some sorts?

Really if I bought a high-budget, FF game, I would expect the game to work and just play well. But this is just a disaster and preying on FF fans (well, it IS SE after all...)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Vigilant Walrus said:
World of Warcraft, on december 7 when the world is remade to 2.0. Pick up the three expansions(BC and WOTLK are very cheap) and have fun in the first free month. the game has an incredible amount of content(6 years worth of post release content) and it will have many new players making new characters to see the new world, so it will be easy to make friends.

your in a perfect situation my friend. you will be able to feel a launch, but unlike other launches of MMOs this one wont be crazy with MMO launch problem, because its an expansion that alters the base game of a old game. so its like a relaunch of wow, and that draws a lot of old players back.

I honestly tried to get into WoW but it just didn't click with me. Even when I played with a few friends it just didn't click. I don't know, I've tried it 3 times and it never works :lol

KaYotiX

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Had to wait for reviews to decide?

If you played open beta last month and you still bought the game, I dunno how much you can complain that you wasted your money and blame anyone but yourself....

Not blaming anyone but myself.....not sure what your getting at.

LowParry

Relix said:
I honestly tried to get into WoW but it just didn't click with me. Even when I played with a few friends it just didn't click. I don't know, I've tried it 3 times and it never works :lol

Not every MMO is for everyone. I have some friends who are hardcore vets with EVE. Always trying to get me in to play. Just not my style of MMO to play. Did the trial for a few days and called it quits.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm just glad a game can exist without having to be universally loved by everyone. There have been a few games I've thoroughly enjoyed that others hated.

Lebron

Londa said:
I live in america where its free to do and like whatever you please.
Just like others are free to express their disappointment about the game. Criticism brings about change, especially in regards to MMOs.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sykoex said:
I'm just glad a game can exist without having to be universally loved by everyone. There have been a few games I've thoroughly enjoyed that others hated.

So...every fucking game ever made?

LaneDS

sykoex said:

The problem with MMOs is if they're hated by most people they no longer exist after a time. I don't think the Final Fantasy brand is immune these days. If they don't fix the problems that are causing threads like this to exist the game is going to have serious subscriber number issues.

sdornan

Londa said:
Please do everyone who likes the game a favor and stop playing the game if you do like it. At lease most have stop whinning inside of the game. Can't wait for the fan forums to go back to normal.

Londa said:
I live in america where its free to do and like whatever you please. Guess you must live in china where they regulate how much you play online, and even who gets a noble peace prize.

Oh, irony.

GhaleonQ

sykoex said:

Er...

I will agree that it's great that reviewers can show guts sometimes. I just wish they'd be more consistent. (random Gamerankings search: Bionic Commando 2009: 73.26%)

Khrno

LaneDS said:
I don't think the Final Fantasy brand is immune these days.

With all the bad press for XIII and looking at its success, that's not really the case. That's why it won't be until at least after the PS3 launch (and after the free month if there's any for that version) when a real line for FFXIV subscribers will be drawn. In the mean time, people will leave and others will come, so cannot extrapolate any november numbers (which of course we won't know) into any future success or immediate failure.

JWong

Banned
Relix said:
You should probably figure out what didn't click because if it's the design, you should probably not get into any MMOs as they all are copies of WoW.

Might be able to get into Vindictus, but I don't consider it an MMO because it's heavily instanced.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JWong said:
You should probably figure out what didn't click because if it's the design, you should probably not get into any MMOs as they all are copies of WoW.

Might be able to get into Vindictus, but I don't consider it an MMO because it's heavily instanced.
EVE isnt a copy of WoW!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
_tetsuo_ said:
Looks like I'll be jumping back onto DDO. And this after I bought a CE for myself and my girlfriend :(

Will wait for them to get some work done on it.

At least it's pretty... right?

Moobabe said:
Because we're frustrated? Is it not ok to have grievances about the game or should discussion only be positive? I imagine that conversation will be a lot shorter.

A lot of us want the game to be great - I played FFXI for 3 years and have been waiting for a successor for so long. WoW was ok - though it didn't scratch the same itch, EVE wasn't for me, GW was great but it wasn't XI. Also - a LOT of people have paid money for this game - whether it be the SE, CE and through subs so do they not have a right to complain either?

BEHOLD, someones first interaction with londa. :lol

you would have loved the beta days.

Cipherr

Raging Spaniard said:
I dont get the gameplay bitching. The battles are really fun, the gathering is good and crafting is easily the best Ive seen in an MMO.

People have been brainwashed by WoW and see anything different or not super quest based as "bad" I actually like XIV better, I have more stuff to do than just grind .. I just wish it ran better :p

Took 36 posts for someone to blame a MMO that's getting shitty reviews on its own merits on WoW. The hardlycores are getting slower.

Yep, at its core its still going to be WoW, so if you didn't like it then don't allow yourself to be talking into dropping like 60 bucks on Cata. New Content wont make it a new game.

Londa said:
Yep if you dot like WoW you won't like any mmo!

There where mmos that came before it.....

In fact there were many that came before it that had systems and gameplay mechanics WoW has still yet to match, let alone surpass.

Londa

Banned
JWong said:

Yep if you dont like WoW you won't like any mmo!

zlatko

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
They removed the level cap from the CoP missions. It's pretty much a mindless breeze now. :(

Ugh that's terrible to hear. The reason the stories were a notch above was because you felt SO DAMN REWARDED when you completed even one hard mission.

FFXI truly rewarded you and made your time invested feel accomplished. I can't say the same for FFXIV. :(

JWong

Banned
HK-47 said:
EVE isnt a copy of WoW!
EVE isn't an MMO! It's an alternate dimension of awesome!

Anyways, I'm speaking about anything that comes out or started development after WoW.
Londa said:
Yep if you dot like WoW you won't like any mmo!

I played a lot of MMOs before WoW, and all of them became irrelevant for me because WoW improved the MMO space so much.

There's really no turning back, and neither can future MMO development.

Khrno

zlatko said:
FFXI truly rewarded you and made your time invested feel accomplished. I can't say the same for FFXIV. :(

Not really comparable to CoP, but some r20 leves give you a great feeling of accomplishment for the tough battles (either by the leve/faction itself, by the difficulty you choose, or by just being r15).

LowParry

JWong said:
I played a lot of MMOs before WoW, and all of them became irrelevant for me because WoW improved the MMO space so much.

Everyone should be thankful for the success that EQ provided. Without it, we wouldn't of had WoW. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't some of the lead people from Blizzard from EQ or whatever?

KaYotiX

Banned
Dark age of Camelot IMO was one if the best MMOs made, WoW is great too but DaoC was just amazing. Never got into EQ.

LowParry

Pinko Marx said:
Done.

But if you really wanna thank an MMO for pioneering, wouldn't it be Ultima Online?

I dunno. Between EQ and Ultima, which was the better success? I never did play Ultima. I always assumed EQ was.

Ploid 3.0

Lebron said:
Just like others are free to express their disappointment about the game. Criticism brings about change, especially in regards to MMOs.

Maybe other MMOs, SE don't change much in the face of criticism. Maybe if people actually do cancel subs enough that it effects them financially. That's something they'd probably hear.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Haunted said:
wow at those reviews, videos and impressions.

Worst Final Fantasy mainline title? Seems so.

Goddamn.

edit: game looks really good, though!

Nah, 13 is still worse.

Londa

Banned
JWong said:
EVE isn't an MMO! It's an alternate dimension of awesome!

Anyways, I'm speaking about anything that comes out or started development after WoW.

There are other MMO's that will not follow that path and I encourage them. Instant gratification is what is going to ruin MMO's.

Things will end up like this:

"at level 5 I can already fly, own a planet and have access to nuclear bombs!"

"so what else is there to play for?"

"I can enjoy buying new mounts for 5 dollars real money every other month!"

"-_-;"

JWong

Banned
CcrooK said:
Everyone should be thankful for the success that EQ provided. Without it, we wouldn't of had WoW. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't some of the lead people from Blizzard from EQ or whatever?
Definitely. EQ provided the basis of a functional MMO, but it suffers the grindfest, super hardcore mentality that also plagued most Korean MMOs at that time, like Lineage.

Rob Pardo and Jeff Kaplan were hardcore EQ players, and they really wanted to improve all the faults they found in EQ. That became World of Warcraft.
Pinko Marx said:
But if you really wanna thank an MMO for pioneering, wouldn't it be Ultima Online?
Maybe if you are a masochist programmer, but Ultima Online (early years) can only be enjoyable if you spend a lot of the time making macros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom