• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWong

Banned
Spire said:
FFXIV tries for every one of those feature sets. I know they renamed quests "leves" but let's not pretend they're anything else. FFXIV wants to be WoW but it doesn't know how.

And FFXIV's combat is a far more like WoW's than AoC's is, and they both depart from WoW in a number of ways (although FFXIV seems to only because of the features that haven't been implemented yet, whereas AoC actually tried something new).

Oh, and DDO is absolutely nothing like WoW.
I think having quests at all is different from having WoW's design of a quest system. FFXIV made the quest systems EXTREMELY bad. Requiring a player pick up a quest in the city and then starting it in another location where they do not even bother telling you where to start it is bad design. Also, those quests are suppose to eventually lead you off to new locations, but FFXIV, you end up talking to this random crystal spire thing at random locations. FFXIV stifles what should be really fast and interesting in a quest system, so it's nothing like WoW's quest system.

WoW's combat is super fast action-based. WoW's combat considers positioning as a huge part of it, and its cooldowns on abilities are fast. That's not FFXIV. I felt like FFXIV's combat is so slow that it was pretty much like playing a turn based game. Doesn't really help that the first ability you have is pretty much an auto-attack. Might also be attributed to the leveling system and getting a lot of skills quickly, because every level up to 10 gave you really good abilities to work with.

I'm pretty sure DDO uses the same quest-based leveling, UI, controls, and some combat. I've played it.

JWong said:
I'm pretty sure DDO uses the same quest-based leveling, UI, controls, and some combat. I've played it.

I played it too (not for long, hated the game) and had a completely different opinion. It felt more like PSO than like WoW.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
JWong said:
I think having quests at all is different from having WoW's design of a quest system. FFXIV made the quest systems EXTREMELY bad. Requiring a player pick up a quest in the city and then starting it in another location where they do not even bother telling you where to start it is bad design. Also, those quests are suppose to eventually lead you off to new locations, but FFXIV, you end up talking to this random crystal spire thing at random locations. FFXIV stifles what should be really fast and interesting in a quest system, so it's nothing like WoW's quest system.

WoW's combat is super fast action-based. WoW's combat considers positioning as a huge part of it, and its cooldowns on abilities are fast. That's not FFXIV. I felt like FFXIV's combat is so slow that it was pretty much like playing a turn based game. Doesn't really help that the first ability you have is pretty much an auto-attack. Might also be attributed to the leveling system and getting a lot of skills quickly, because every level up to 10 gave you really good abilities to work with.

I'm pretty sure DDO uses the same quest-based level, UI, controls, and some combat. I've played it.

FFXI's combat is so slow it feels like a turn-based game, FFXIV is actually much faster than that. It still feels like molasses compared to any other MMO made within the last five years, but coming from FFXI it's definitely an improvement (although still not good).

You need to replay DDO, because it's nothing like WoW, it feels more like a Zelda MMO than anything. Combat is very actiony, twitch-based (you attack by clicking mouse 1, you only hit things that your weapon animation actually touches and thus can hit multiple things at once, it controls nothing like WoW) and is not very reliant on activated abilities like WoW or FFXIV are. DDO also has a structure totally different than WoW's, the entire game is made up of quests/dungeons, aside from the hub city there are no persistant areas, it's all instanced. Quests and dungeons are the same thing, as each quest has it's own dungeon which is unique. Dungeons involve a lot of platforming and puzzle elements (it really does feel like Zelda sometimes), follow a short, simple narrative and are full of secret passageways and surprises. That's the game, you run dungeons all the time. There is no questing in the WoW sense, it's structured more like Diablo than it is a typical MMO.

DaBuddaDa

Spire said:
You need to replay DDO, because it's nothing like WoW, it feels more like a Zelda MMO than anything. Combat is very actiony, twitch-based (you attack by clicking mouse 1, you only hit things that your weapon animation actually touches and thus can hit multiple things at once, it controls nothing like WoW) and is not very reliant on activated abilities like WoW or FFXIV are. DDO also has a structure totally different than WoW's, the entire game is made up of quests/dungeons, aside from the hub city there are no persistant areas, it's all instanced. Quests and dungeons are the same thing, as each quest has it's own dungeon which is unique. Dungeons involve a lot of platforming and puzzle elements (it really does feel like Zelda sometimes), follow a short, simple narrative and are full of secret passageways and surprises. That's the game, you run dungeons all the time. There is no questing in the WoW sense, it's structured more like Diablo than it is a typical MMO.
Sounds fucking awesome

Lain

Man, thank God the PS3 version was delayed and my PC isn't good enough to run that version so I was spared from this game.

I hope for when (if?) the PS3 version gets out, they'll have fixed enough stuff to make it at least enjoyable and worth for me to pick up, because some things about this one really interested me. Although blandness can't really be fixed easily.

Wallach

How the fuck is WoW anything like DDO. You don't understand shit about either of those games if you really think that.

Celsior

Spire said:
FFXI's combat is so slow it feels like a turn-based game, FFXIV is actually much faster than that. It still feels like molasses compared to any other MMO made within the last five years, but coming from FFXI it's definitely an improvement (although still not good).

I was thinking so it is Diablo before I read the last line :lol

Kandinsky

Khrno said:
From a Dengeki interview about 2 weeks ago:

Dengeki: For our last question, we’d like to ask you to secretly divulge any information you may be able to… (He laughs)

Tanaka: We can’t give you any specifics, but we have XIV planned up all the way to next winter, and we’ll be making an announcement about how it’s going to go down pretty soon. It’s going to be a pretty full year!

In the mean time, from yesterday:

* The previously announced improvements to the market system are currently in the final preparation stages and will be ready by the version update next week. Please keep an eye out for future announcements regarding this matter.
Man you should know better :/

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
DaBuddaDa said:
Sounds fucking awesome

It's pretty cool, although if you're not up on your D&D terminology stats and gear can be confusing at first. It's F2P so it can't hurt to try it.

sykoex said:
Yeah, there has to be some catch. :lol

It's really unpolished, has alot of unnecessarily confusing elements that make the learning curve too high (way too many stats, tooltips for abilities and stats are like 3 paragraphs long instead of getting to the point), and is a really really ugly game.

Good concept though :p

Effect

sykoex said:
Yeah, there has to be some catch. :lol
Oh there is. :D It's really (or was) best played with a group of people you know or with a guild where there is something understood before you run a dungeon. A lot of times one would find themselves grouping with players that simply want to rush through areas because they've done it so many times. They just wanted the experience and reward as fast as possible. So if you want to actually follow the storyline (narrated to you as you go through the dungeon) that could become an issue.

You can do things solo now (missions have multiple difficulties from solo to easy to a few more levels of hard. Harder it is the more you'll need a group) so that might not be much of a problem now. Go through it solo to get a feel of the area and then go back in with a group on a much harder level. Outside the first handful of quest you had to group when the game first launched and the above was a problem. At least I thought it was.

Back to FFXIV.

Does anyone know if some Japanese review sites would be a bit worried about really reviewing FFXIV? Afraid to give it a low score due to perhaps some reprisal from SE in the future?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Aww. I was hoping this was good. FFXI was the only MMO I played for longer than a month. I'm sort of sad, actually.

JWong

Banned
Spire said:

It's quest-based leveling which is all I said. You're taking my words out of context where I never said all those MMOs are carbon copies of WoW.

I've played DDO and know the differences, but it still took a critical element that WoW brought to MMOs. Heck, didn't you see Star Trek Online in my list? I thought that be more farfetched.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Mister Zimbu said:
It's really unpolished, has alot of unnecessarily confusing elements that make the learning curve too high (way too many stats, tooltips for abilities and stats are like 3 paragraphs long instead of getting to the point), and is a really really ugly game.

Good concept though :p

I think it looks pretty nice with everything maxed out and the bloom filter turned off, especially for a game that's nearly five years old.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
JWong said:
It's quest-based leveling which is all I said. You're taking my words out of context where I never said all those MMOs are carbon copies of WoW.

I've played DDO and know the differences, but it still took a critical element that WoW brought to MMOs. Heck, didn't you see Star Trek Online in my list? I thought that be more farfetched.

I've never played STO so I didn't comment on it.

Also WoW didn't invent quests, and DDO's quests are nothing like WoW's quests, they're small D&D campaigns. Saying DDO copied WoW's questing structure is pretty ludicrous, if you ask me. They're nothing alike.

SquareEnix's 'high end' stuff really is suffering these days. FFXIII didn't hit the spot, FFXIV looks like it sucks and other games like Gun Loco will flop.

Belfast

Spire said:
I think it looks pretty nice with everything maxed out and the bloom filter turned off, especially for a game that's nearly five years old.

People also have to understand that a lot of the initial content (beginning area aside) *is* old content. The Turbine-developed stuff (after the company took over and started adding their own updates) is much better overall.

Londa

Banned
the gametrailer's review has misinformation in it. Like when they said you have to be close to a player to even add them to your friendlist.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Londa said:
the gametrailer's review has misinformation in it. Like when they said you have to be close to a player to even add them to your friendlist.

Londa
Viral marketer whose performance evaluation
is at stake

:lol :lol

Victrix

*beard*
Londa said:

I'm reading this thread while sick, instead of watching hulu, because it's more entertaining in here

Gravijah

Londa said:
wow, yep, I point out a out right lie and I get called out to be a viral marketer. -_-

No, you were called a viral marketer because of months and months and months and months and months and months of posts.

Zaptruder

Banned
Londa said:

In Londa's mind: Hey! You can be in the same zone! Not even close!

Londa

Banned
Gravijah said:
No, you were called a viral marketer because of months and months and months and months and months and months of posts.

Excuse me, but I don't see anything wrong in having a different opinion.

In Londa's mind: Hey! You can be in the same zone! Not even close!

I added my friend while he was in another city.

Gravijah

Londa said:
Excuse me, but I don't see anything wrong in having a different opinion.

Londa, you can have your opinion. I'm all for people having an opinion... the thing is, people having a different opinion is what sets you off.

Londa

Banned
Gravijah said:
Londa, you can have your opinion. I'm all for people having an opinion... the thing is, people having a different opinion is what sets you off.

Actually it doesn't. I welcome a different opinion if it isn't laced in lies or over exaggerations.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Londa said:
This is one of the problems with reviewing an MMO within days of release. In that time with any MMO there's a ton of features you know nothing about.

Gravijah

Londa said:
Actually it doesn't. I welcome a different opinion if it isn't laced in lies or over exaggerations.

But almost everything to you is a lie or an over-exaggeration. There's always a quip, always a remark, always an excuse.

Raoh

its a shame.. SE gets no love from me this gen but all in all i'm really enjoying ffxiv...

has a lot of the good things of ffxi and makes them better in ffxiv..

even after all my time on ffxi i didnt experiece a lot of the end game stuff and as i played different jobs i learned more and it changed the experience each time..

i dont the reviewers are giving ffxiv a fair review.. hell i dont know if they actually even are people that play and like mmorpg's

WoW is a casual game to me.. i stopped playing it after 3 months and went back to ffxi..

FLEABttn

Banned
I reviewed some pictures and videos of FF14 and you definitely cannot friend someone unless they are 5 feet from you. I mean, I haven't actually played FF14 but I did some research into the matter and I believe I am right.

Khrno

FLEABttn said:
I reviewed some pictures and videos of FF14 and you definitely cannot friend someone unless they are 5 feet from you. I mean, I haven't actually played FF14 but I did some research into the matter and I believe I am right.

You might be right, but you can add anyone in the world to your Friendlist or Blacklist, doesn't matter where they are.

However you cannot invite them to your Linkshell or Party unless they are in range and you are targeting them.

Londa

Banned
Khrno said:
You might be right, but you can add anyone in the world to your Friendlist or Blacklist, doesn't matter where they are.

However you cannot invite them to your Linkshell or Party unless they are in range and you are targeting them.

are you being paid by SE? I need proof.

There's no conspiracy, Londa :lol. It's just an inaccuracy in an unbiased review. Most people DO think the design of the game is that bad.

It's no lie that the game is horrifically unpolished, empty, and unfinished and that the UI is terrible and incredibly broken and inconsistent in parts.

Londa

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
There's no conspiracy, Londa :lol. It's just an inaccuracy in an unbiased review. Most people DO think the design of the game is that bad.

It's no lie that the game is horrifically unpolished, empty, and unfinished and that the UI is terrible and incredibly broken and inconsistent in parts.

Whatever you want to tell yourself. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom