• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
WoW watching that BFF video makes me think that my room mate playing FF11 through keyboard commands seems like it's easier then using the god awful menu system. I have to say the graphics are very sexy but again from the BFF video i would throw my computer if i had to walk 20 minutes to do a quest then walk back 20 minutes through the same copy pasta environment.

Final Fantasy Rankings

6>7

Tactics Ogre > FF Tactics > FF Tactics Advance

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I assume that people leave X-2 out of Final Fantasy rankings because it is a tier above the rest of the series.

Lebron

Haunted said:
spinoffs don't count!
Because it is superior! There is Tactics, then there are the mainland peasants that wish they were Tactics. No one would have enjoyed FFVII: Cloud's Tears if they had released Tactics first. It's like test driving a Ferrari at a track then later having to drive back home in your Civic.

I assume that people leave X-2 out of Final Fantasy rankings because it is a tier above the rest of the series.
I never heard of such a game, therefore it must not exist. Nice try, though.

Zomba13

Gravijah said:
I swear, you disliking FFX-2 makes me want to play it.
X-2 has an awesome battle and job system but it's got a terrible story with annoying characters. Good thing I borrowed it off my cousin and didn't buy it. I got near the end (I think) and just decided to give it back to him after getting sick of Yuna pining over Tidus.

Aeana

I love FF10-2. It quite easily has the best battle system in the series (and in most RPGs, besides Grandia perhaps), and the garment grid/dressphere system is also really cool.

FNIALS FANSASTY SPIN-OFFS BATLE

COCHOBO TALES> CHOCOBOO MYSTERY DUNGEON> TACTICS> CHRISTAL CHRONICLES > TACTICS A2 > CHOCKABOO RACING> RINGS OF FATE> TACTICS ADVANCE> ECKOS OF TIME> X-2> DISIDIA> CRISIS CORE> DIRGE OF SERBERUS> FF4 THE FAILURE YEARS > 4 HEROS OF LIGHT> REVANNENT WINGS> MYSTIC QUEST

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can you shitbags stop ranking final fantasies for one second and link me more funny FFXIV videos

dimb

BudokaiMR2 said:
The only good thing about FFX-2 is the battle/job system, and to me that is not enough.
Only Final Fantasy fans could say the part of the game you actually play being good isn't enough.

Even the battle system of X-2 sucks. Just make everyone a dark knight and call it a day. The game is probably the easiest FF.

Now if we want to talk about spin offs.

Crisis Core and Tactics. Thats it.

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
FNIALS FANSASTY SPIN-OFFS BATLE

COCHOBO TALES> CHOCOBOO MYSTERY DUNGEON> TACTICS> CHRISTAL CHRONICLES > TACTICS A2 > CHOCKABOO RACING> RINGS OF FATE> TACTICS ADVANCE> ECKOS OF TIME> X-2> DISIDIA> CRISIS CORE> DIRGE OF SERBERUS> FF4 THE FAILURE YEARS > 4 HEROS OF LIGHT> REVANNENT WINGS> MYSTIC QUEST

RW is still sitting in shrinkwrap underneath my desk. Why the fuck did I buy that game?

lyre

Okay, fun police is here and they say keep the damn Final Fantasy rankings to their proper places. Last warning about going too off topic.

PS. Final Fantasy Tactics sucks

Bregor

Alex said:
Vanilla WoW in general, like FFXI, clung way too hard to Everquest and wound up kind of trapped with a lot of bullshit timesinks and other design nightmares and really held a lot of what it tried to be progressive with down.

Back then, overtuning was mostly what you could do to keep bosses up since the mechanics were so simple.

Luckily, WoW broke out of that with BC and forward and we wound up with double difficulty modes and a lot of brilliant, interactive ARPG mechanics. Like a lot of people, i was hoping Square (who obviously doesn't have the money to sit there and redesign half their game) would dig out the really good elements from XI outside of it's shell with XIV.... but it's more like they dug a hole into the shell, shook out the good elements and threw up in it.
I never understand those who claim that WoW is a casual only game. It has a lot of casual friendly content to be sure, but it also has very difficult content if you choose to seek it out (raid hard modes in paticular). It is worth noting that even 9 months after the Lich King was unlocked, and with a 30% zone wide buff to all players, only 0.71% of all guilds have killed him in 25 man hard mode. For those who want the challenge, it is there.

Aeana

Gravijah said:
RW is still sitting in shrinkwrap underneath my desk. Why the fuck did I buy that game?
Maybe because it's absolutely gorgeous.

DfCjPctQR.jpg
OtkeoQWva.jpg
SPVXykcIl.jpg

Best-looking FF game.

Wiktor

Technosteve said:
Why haven't the Japanese press reviewed the game? Money hats (⌒-⌒; )
Because Square Enix asked them to. :lol

I'm laughing, but in reality it's truth :lol Review copies of Final Fantasy XIV have been accompanied by the admonition that reviews should be held back for “three to four weeks post launch” – the rubric apparently being that lots of time is needed “to give the online game time to mature.”
:lol

That bff report video was funny as shit. I am gonna lock myself away from reading anything on ff xiv until like 6 months from now and see if its a game yet.

Wiktor

Londa said:
Just because he is part of a site that covers several MMO's doesn't mean he can't like one over the other.
Haven't you ever considered that you might be biased pro-FFXIV? :D

Jerk

Banned
Aeana said:
Maybe because it's absolutely gorgeous.

DfCjPctQR.jpg
OtkeoQWva.jpg
SPVXykcIl.jpg

Best-looking FF game.

Really one of the main reasons why I still own the game.

jeremy1456 said:
X-2 is the only semi decent FF game released since IX.

That's for truth.

No. I like X-2, but this is crazy.

dimb

Technosteve said:
Why haven't the Japanese press reviewed the game? Money hats (⌒-⌒; )
Because a large quantity of their game coverage is about Square Enix games. They need Square Enix's favor.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
caturday is actually a clearly defined step above Final Fanstaty

jeremy1456

What strikes me as odd is the fact that people only noticed how linear the series has become with XIII.

I mean, X was even shittier, but it gave a false sense of exploration.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the truely hilarious thing is that two sites who have no real shades of grey between a 3 or a 2 or 4 or a 1 or a 5 both landed on a 4.

I mean, come one now. The game might be shit but what are the odds of that. :lol

jeremy1456 said:
Yeah, every rational gamer was.
Oh yay that awesome "your only rational if you think like me" card. Whatever. Why can't you haters get it that some people just like XIII. I sure as hell understand why someone can dislike the game.

jeremy1456 said:
What strikes me as odd is the fact that people only noticed how linear the series has become with XIII.

I mean, X was even shittier, but it gave a false sense of exploration.

The linear issue is overblown, even in XIII. The real issue is there is nothing to frickin due except RUN up the corridor, fight monsters, and repeat. X had temples that were dungeons with puzzles, and there were a ton of side quests and extra activities required of you as you progressed. I remember how much time I spent just in Blitzball. XIII did none of this. That is why it fails so hard, and is its biggest flaw.

Back on topic...Londa, that mob "regen" bug...everyone in my two linkshells and everyone I partied with complained about it. It is when a monster you are fighting decides to run 10 feet away, dodging your attack or just getting out of range of your spell, and regains a chunk of life. And not just once, mind you. Repeatedly, on a cycle of like every 2 attacks it did, it would repeat the "bail and heal" and then return. This happened at least 1 out of every 10 times. I heard people claim it is good because you can farm SP, but it seems to happen most frequently when I'm in a guildleve and I am on the clock. That is not good.

jeremy1456

TSA said:
The linear issue is overblown, even in XIII. The real issue is there is nothing to frickin due except RUN up the corridor, fight monsters, and repeat. X had temples that were dungeons with puzzles, and there were a ton of side quests and extra activities required of you as you progressed. I remember how much time I spent just in Blitzball. XIII did none of this. That is why it fails so hard, and is its biggest flaw.

If anything the linear issue is underblown - it's forgiven so easily just because it's Final Fantasy. X had some really, really light puzzles that mostly involved running down (again) a hallway to find an item and bring it back, and the side quests were just as dull. Blitzball I didn't spend more than a few hours with, but as I remember it mostly played itself.

sublimit

Banned
Lol,i still haven't bought a single HD game from SE yet.
I was hoping the PS3 version of XIV would be my first but it seems they have too many things to fix...
Well at least Versus looks interesting.

Gravijah

sublimit said:
Lol,i still haven't bought a single HD game from SE yet.
I was hoping the PS3 version of XIV would be my first but it seems they have too many things to fix...
Well at least Versus looks interesting.

NIER :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom