• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

sublimit said:
Well i don't know...i've been hearing mixed things.
The clunky combat system and ugly character design kinda kept me from buying.:/

Amazing world/story & music makes it worth playing. Rent it!

sublimit

Banned
Gravijah said:
Amazing world/story & music makes it worth playing. Rent it!

These are the only three things i've been hearing everyone praising it for.:D
I very rarely rent games nowdays.If i'm on the fence with something i usually wait until its price drops significantly and then i buy it.I'll probably get it at some point.

zlatko

Banned
Haters gonna hate, but I just logged about 5 hours or maybe more on 14. I'm almost rank 19 pugilist, did my 8 battle and craft leves, did a faction leve, and bought my first new ability with guild marks. Talked to my LS mates the whole time for entertainment there, and managed to scoop up some new gear for cheap prices as I went around.

Ran into a few bugs, shared distaste with LS mates in chat, and even met Londa's twin sister. Her name is Noel Vermillion on Cornelia and she felt this game was no worse than WoW was at launch. :lol

She really had no complaints for the game for FF14 and just attested it to, "Every MMO is like this at launch." It was at this point I began to ignore all LS chat so she could keep having her crazy talk with herself. No one else in LS chat replied to her as she had like a 10 minute convo with herself. I felt bad, because at least Londa knows the game has faults, but is hopeful and enjoys herself, but this was like another level of unwillingness to cope.

If this person really is enjoying the game as much as they are, then I wish I had access to the same drugs. :lol

Ploid 3.0

So are you for or..? You start the post off as if you're about to say how much you're enjoying the game then talk about this person and ask for the drugs he's using so you could enjoy it like they are?

LowParry

Ploid 3.0 said:
So are you for or..? You start the post off as if you're about to say how much you're enjoying the game then talk about this person and ask for the drugs he's using so you could enjoy it like they are?

Cocaine is one hellova drug.

This whole FF14 situation has had a weird effect on me.

I makes me want to go back to Aion.

The 10 GB of updates almost turned me away, however. Man MMOs can be crazy.

LowParry

Gamer @ Heart said:
This whole FF14 situation has had a weird effect on me.

I makes me want to go back to Aion.

The 10 GB of updates almost turned me away, however. Man MMOs can be crazy.

How is Aion these days? I quit around lvl 30.

DeVeAn

The last awesome FF game for me was Crisis Core FFX before that. Most SE RPGs have been whack this gen anyway. Hope FF Versus delivers.

zlatko

Banned
CcrooK said:
Cocaine is one hellova drug.

This. :lol

It's a mixed bag though. I agree with the GT review, and really agree with the Gamespot review in context, but the actual scores maybe not. It's more of a 6/10 right now for me.

If this had been a MMO by any other developer without FF on the cover I would have dropped it right after open beta experience. The problem is that I played FFXI for 6 years on and off, and don't want to jump ship too early, because XI for me just kept getting better and better. I also bought a brand new PC JUST for this game. I bought the CE. At this point I'm too invested to not give it till December. I also bought Crysta up to then(currency used for monthly billing), so it'd be a waste of money on multiple levels.

I WANT to love this game, but it has more issues than any game should at launch. I think what pisses me off the most is that there's no real excuse this game should have launched like this. It's backed by a giant publisher so time and money constraints shouldn't have been an issue, the developing team has made a previous MMO to go off of, and that MMO has been around for about 8 years. When you put these things together it just begs to ask why they released the game about a year too early? Was the game a giant money sink for SquareEnix so they pushed it out the door to make back some of the investment ASAP? Did they know it was a turd so they just wanted to rake in whatever cash they could? Or are they really that bad of a development team that they could not see how much they missed from their XI development? (Item sort function being a small example)

So right now it's a love/hate relationship with the game, and I can only hope it gets better.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
zlatko said:
This. :lol

It's a mixed bag though. I agree with the GT review, and really agree with the Gamespot review in context, but the actual scores maybe not. It's more of a 6/10 right now for me.

If this had been a MMO by any other developer without FF on the cover I would have dropped it right after open beta experience. The problem is that I played FFXI for 6 years on and off, and don't want to jump ship too early, because XI for me just kept getting better and better. I also bought a brand new PC JUST for this game. I bought the CE. At this point I'm too invested to not give it till December. I also bought Crysta up to then(currency used for monthly billing), so it'd be a waste of money on multiple levels.

I WANT to love this game, but it has more issues than any game should at launch. I think what pisses me off the most is that there's no real excuse this game should have launched like this. It's backed by a giant publisher so time and money constraints shouldn't have been an issue, the developing team has made a previous MMO to go off of, and that MMO has been around for about 8 years. When you put these things together it just begs to ask why they released the game about a year too early? Was the game a giant money sink for SquareEnix so they pushed it out the door to make back some of the investment ASAP? Did they know it was a turd so they just wanted to rake in whatever cash they could? Or are they really that bad of a development team that they could not see how much they missed from their XI development? (Item sort function being a small example)

So right now it's a love/hate relationship with the game, and I can only hope it gets better.
They released it now because Cataclysm blows this shit out of the water, and it would take 2+ years of work for them to compete so they tried to beat it out.

Dance In My Blood said:
They released it now because Cataclysm blows this shit out of the water, and it would take 2+ years of work for them to compete so they tried to beat it out.

Is this really what people think? I can't imagine this is the real reasoning because most business models for MMOs aren't based around retail sales but instead based around having a healthy user base that keeps subscribing.

Rushing it out is most likely going to have the EXACT OPPOSITE effect.

zlatko

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:

In an interview with the team I believe they stated that trying to compete with WoW is too hard or something along those lines. I think they know their market,(FF fans, FFXI fans, MMO players looking for a change, and new comers to MMOs who want solo experiences) but they really didn't deliver a good game to satisfy the people who bought it right away.

Cataclysm will be huge yeah, but I'm not 100% sure this game was made to target WoW people in anyway, but maybe I'm not read up enough to know if that was what SE wanted to accomplish.

Haha I didnt even think I wanted to see more of this game after that copy pasta vid, but damn this yogscast is cracking me up. I just skipped to Pt 2.

"You throw that damned rock! :lol :lol

iammeiam

I just watched part 3 of the Yogscast review and... were they being exceptionally dense/missing a a tooltip somewhere, or is the fishing tutorial really that pathetic? And if the latter, are all the tutorials as bad? Because, holy crap.

CTLance

iammeiam said:
I just watched part 3 of the Yogscast review and... were they being exceptionally dense/missing a a tooltip somewhere, or is the fishing tutorial really that pathetic? And if the latter, are all the tutorials as bad? Because, holy crap.
Yeah, that was terrible. What the hell. Incredibly ...loveless. Barebones. Feels like someone spent all of 5 minutes coding and designing that between two extended coffee breaks.

faridmon

Tailzo said:
if you like tactics games, ff tactics is great on both psp and ps1.
If you like tactics games you would stay away from FF Tactics. Massively unbalanced, Great story that is thrown into oblivion for the sake of Animification. Great charcters that only stay for short periods and total time sinkage untill you find out how hollow it was.

That few hours of ending was bullshit and should never added to the game. The soundtrack was good though...

sykoex said:
Even the PSP version?
Do yourself a favour and wait for the superior Tactic game, Tactics Ogre.

Torquill

Moobabe said:
I think my problem with wow's story is a problem with the story in MMOs more generally. I certainly found the main arcs interesting but, as is the format, there's so many storyless quests to fill in time between more interesting arcs. Hopefully GW2 will change that, though I'm still cautious.
Most MMOs don't even have an ongoing narrative. Those that do tend to let it unfold passively or as something going on elsewhere. They don't actively involve the player.

Torquill said:
Most MMOs don't even have an ongoing narrative. Those that do tend to let it unfold passively or as something going on elsewhere. They don't actively involve the player.

And this is why EVE wins in the end. User created chaos is way more interesting than any other MMO 'story' :p

CcrooK said:
Awwww, the thread feels like it's on its last legs.

The haters will eventually get bored and find the next game to hate.

The players are too busy actually playing the game to care.

Everybody else is busy playing Halo Reach or Call of Duty or whatever.

Torquill

Velion said:
Clearly... Because no one is not allowed to dislike the game because you apparently like it.

Another thing you claim WoW is boring because you have to read from a text box, while talking about FF (in general) :lol
There's simply no comparison. Ff has npc text boxes but it also has active cutscenes. CoP started with shit hitting the fan at delkfut tower (or whatever it was called). You witnessed it. Most mmos would have started that storylines with an npc in town saying "shit went down at delkfut tower". This is a visual medium. Show me, don't tell me.

Torquill

BudokaiMR2 said:
And this is why EVE wins in the end. User created chaos is way more interesting than any other MMO 'story' :p
They both have their virtues but they are different. Eve knows what it is, an entirely player driven experience and it's awesome. What bothers me are devs that try to sell you on player experiences being a replacement for a crafted narrative. They're not the same thing. Don't feed me that bs lol. Eve doesn't do ghat. Oh doesn't try to apologize for it's lack of story.

Gravijah

Unknown Soldier said:
The haters will eventually get bored and find the next game to hate.

The players are too busy actually playing the game to care.

Everybody else is busy playing Halo Reach or Call of Duty or whatever.

What about us reasonable folk?

Torquill

Teknopathetic said:
Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Earth and Beyond, and several others also copied WoW.
Whaaaaat??

Oh...oh... I see what you did there.

Here's a fun thought. All (most) mmos borrow from EQ, which just put a graphical interface over DikuMud, which just tried to computerize D&D, which stole it's flavor elements from LOTR. So LOTRO isn't a Wow clone, wow is s preemptive Lotro clone!!!!

:)p)

Torquill said:
They both have their virtues but they are different. Eve knows what it is, an entirely player driven experience and it's awesome. What bothers me are devs that try to sell you on player experiences being a replacement for a crafted narrative. They're not the same thing. Don't feed me that bs lol. Eve doesn't do ghat. Oh doesn't try to apologize for it's lack of story.

Yeah but I feel the only way that MMOs can have an interesting story is by player driven narrative. Crafted narratives just seem out of place in my opinion because they usually have very little or absolutely no affect on the game world.

Can't think of an MMO where I gave two shits about it's story.

Torquill

sykoex said:
Yeah, there has to be some catch. :lol
Yeah. There's no world to explore in DDO. I've never been a fan of the town as hub with dungeon underneath classic D&D structure. I was raised on Ultima and Dragon Warrior instead I want a world to walk around in. Still liked Diablo tho 0:)

Torquill

animlboogy said:
Is this thread really so far off the deep end that people are claiming WoW invented the kind of quest system it uses?
It didn't, not first at least. Eq2 had a very similar system and as out several months before WoW. Tho WoW ended up doing way cooler thngs with it and had the !

Gravijah said:
What about us reasonable folk?

What are reasonable folk doing in a thread like this? Shouldn't you be playing Dead Rising 2 or something?

I've put my plans to buy and play DR2 on the shelf for the time being because FFXIV is sucking up all my time like a black hole. :lol

Torquill said:
It didn't, not first at least. Eq2 had a very similar system and as out several months before WoW. Tho WoW ended up doing way cooler thngs with it and had the !

I can't remember which came out first, but I am pretty sure it wasn't several months before. I actually think they came out in the same month or something...

Wallach

BudokaiMR2 said:
I can't remember which came out first, but I am pretty sure it wasn't several months before. I actually think they came out in the same month or something...

Wiki says both came out in Nov. of 2004, with EQ2 hitting a few weeks before WoW.

I played both at release for the first month, one of the easier decisions I've made in my life.

Torquill

I'm going to say this is my least favorite Uematsu score eer so far. There's a few gems, but even some really imporant tracks like the towns feel flat to me. The only town theme I like is Limsa. :(. The battle themes don't fit the enviroment either. Normal fight music tries too hardto sound epic and is too synthy.

Gravijah

Torquill said:
I'm going to say this is my least favorite Uematsu score eer so far. There's a few gems, but even some really imporant tracks like the towns feel flat to me. The only town theme I like is Limsa. :(. The battle themes don't fit the enviroment either. Normal fight music tries too hardto sound epic and is too synthy.

Oh shit the music is synthy? Time to listen to it!

Torquill

Teknoman said:
I dont think theres been any RPG or MMORPG in recent time thats actually had cities that sound...like cities.

You'll hear theme music, environmental noises from people crafting/doing emotes, and general moving around...but thats in every MMO.

EDIT: I never really ran into the elitism problem in XI on Midgardsormr or Fairy/Sylph, aside from a few players here and there.
Proper music helps. It needs to insight bustle and activity. Uldah jsut sounds sleepy. It would be good nightime town music tho.

Torquill

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah but I feel the only way that MMOs can have an interesting story is by player driven narrative. Crafted narratives just seem out of place in my opinion because they usually have very little or absolutely no affect on the game world.

Can't think of an MMO where I gave two shits about it's story.
The lich king expansion apparently does some cool stuff with zones changing for you after certain accomplishmments. Something I've been eaitig for for years

I agree in regards to the music, I have found it quite disappointing. The battle themes I find particularly annoying with the synth bell patches and cheesy leads. Most of the town and outdoor area themes also seem to be quite uninspired, but I really like the Thanalan music and the Uldah music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom