• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBuddaDa

Yuripaw said:
It's kinda surprising to see that even gametrailers.com gave FFXIV such a low score. They were one of the few sites that gave FFXI any recognition at all.

I really don't understand how everyone can be so harsh on FFXIV, because there have been far worse MMOs released in the past year. Star Trek Online for example I knew was gonna be complete garbage before it even came out, yet there was a lot of buzz from some journalists prior to it's release.
Just because there are (arguably) worse MMOs this year doesn't mean FFXIV is good. Please keep in mind that there are only a couple of professional reviews of FFXIV, while there are hordes and hordes of actual real players who despise FFXIV too.

Wallach

Yuripaw said:
It's kinda surprising to see that even gametrailers.com gave FFXIV such a low score. They were one of the few sites that gave FFXI any recognition at all.

I really don't understand how everyone can be so harsh on FFXIV, because there have been far worse MMOs released in the past year. Star Trek Online for example I knew was gonna be complete garbage before it even came out, yet there was a lot of buzz from some journalists prior to it's release.

I don't think journalists treated STO all that differently from FFXIV; both had exposure pre-retail in media and both got rightly panned at retail release. Both games launched in similar shape.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yuripaw said:

It's Final Fantasy. Opinions tend to get inflated when dealing with this franchise.

See: Kagari. She used to say FFXIII was worth an 8, but now she's saying it's the worst in the series.

Question about FFXI. wasn't there a boss that people haven't been able to beat in FFXI?

I thought it was Bahamut, and like a raid of 40 people played for 24 hours and decided to quit because the boss wouldn't die or something.

Did that boss ever die?

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Question about FFXI. wasn't there a boss that people haven't been able to beat in FFXI?

I thought it was Bahamut, and like a raid of 40 people played for 24 hours and decided to quit because the boss wouldn't die or something.

Did that boss ever die?
Pandemonium Warden, and no, I don't think it's been legitimately beaten yet.

Yuripaw

Banned
Wallach said:
I don't think journalists treated STO all that differently from FFXIV; both had exposure pre-retail in media and both got rightly panned at retail release. Both games launched in similar shape.
Well I admit, I mostly visit Giantbomb for my gaming coverage. I usually enjoy their coverage, but it frustrated me how those guys had such big hard ons for STO. Jeff was such an idiot for buying the lifetime subscription for that game. Yet none of them will give games like FFXIV even a quick look at least. Probably for the best, because they'd probably just bash it.

DaBuddaDa

BladeoftheImmortal said:

Did that boss ever die?
Pandemonium Warden, the "final" boss of the Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion pack, and yes, he has been defeated many, many times now.

Yuripaw said:
Well I admit, I mostly visit Giantbomb for my gaming coverage. I usually enjoy their coverage, but it frustrated me how those guys had such big hard ons for STO. Jeff was such an idiot for buying the lifetime subscription for that game. Yet none of them will give games like FFXIV even a quick look at least. Probably for the best, because they'd probably just bash it.

In GB's defense, their website isn't meant to be an all-encompassing gaming news site like Gamespot or IGN. They cover the games they personally want to play and are open to their community about it. If nobody there cares much about a game, it's not gonna get covered.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
BladeoftheImmortal said:

Did that boss ever die?
Blizzard has released bosses that were unbeatable until a round of patches and nerfs too. It's crazy how difficult MMO devs try to make their games. It's guess they just want to prolong the content as much as possible.

DaBuddaDa

sykoex said:
Blizzard has released bosses that were unbeatable until a round of patches and nerfs too. It's crazy how difficult MMO devs try to make their games.
The difference is, with Square they won't patch or nerf the boss or give helpful hints, they'll literally laugh at the players and tell them they're doing it wrong.

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
FFXIII may be crap, but I rather play that than FFII.
I never really liked FF2 until I realized I needed to stick to only a few spells and one weapon type per character. I like it now that I don't feel like I have to attack myself to progress. I just play it like any other FF game after a little early-on preparation.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
DaBuddaDa said:
The difference is, with Square they won't patch or nerf the boss or give helpful hints, they'll literally laugh at the players and tell them they're doing it wrong.
Wow that's messed up. How were people able to beat the FFXI boss?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Regulus Tera said:
FFXIII may be crap, but I rather play that than FFII.

Ah, sorry. Misread your previous post. My bad.

DaBuddaDa said:
What does a "reactionary score" even mean? You mean they "reacted" poorly to the game thus gave it a bad score? When I react poorly to a game I give it a low score too.

Like, how you might yell or scream something in the heat of the moment that you don't really mean because you're reacting to a situation worse than you would normally due to other circumstances? It tends to make a reaction more emotionally pronounced and a little less rational.

Again, while I'm enjoying the game, I recognize that XIV is highly flawed and needs work. Thus, a 6. But 4s strike me as reactionary. Or maybe I just have bad taste.

You know, on second though, I'm gonna go with bad taste. I like a lot of bad games.

Wallach

sykoex said:

Square eventually conceded that the boss was broken after quite a lot of outrage. Some uber-guild fought him for like a full day and it didn't die and they finally said "oh, I guess they are right". So they nerfed him and made it so he would despawn after exactly two hours.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Regulus Tera said:
It's Final Fantasy. Opinions tend to get inflated when dealing with this franchise.

See: Kagari. She used to say FFXIII was worth an 8, but now she's saying it's the worst in the series.

I revised my original score to a 7, but would still rate the games something like this all together:

7=8>12=10>6=9>5>4>11>14>13>3>1>2

DaBuddaDa

sykoex said:
Massive amounts of trial and error (and dedication).

There is still a boss that has been around for like, 5 years now, Absolute Virtue, that hasn't been legitimately killed. People figured out a way to get him stuck on a rock and killed him, and Square immediately patched the exploit out. Then, people figured out you could zerg rush him with an alliance of dark knights with kraken clubs. Within a day Square quickly patched that out. After that everyone gave up, and now with all of the new content the items AV drops aren't even worth trying for anymore :lol

Wallach said:
Square eventually conceded that the boss was broken after quite a lot of outrage. Some uber-guild fought him for like a full day and it didn't die and they finally said "oh, I guess they are right". So they nerfed him and made it so he would despawn after exactly two hours.

IIRC they didn't nerf Panda Ward at all, they only implemented the 2 hour limit to avoid having another group try for another 24 hours and generate even more bad publicity towards the game.

Edit: They did lower his HP to make him killable in a 2-hour timeframe, but they didn't make him any "easier".

Zomba13

Kagari said:
I revised my original score to a 7, but would still rate the games something like this all together:

7=8>12=10>6=9>5>4>11>14>13>3>1>2
lol 8 at top.

7=9>6>5>4>12>11>10>13>14=8>3>1>2

I think that's my rank. Bolded are the ones I really like. 14 may climb depending on patches and expansions. 11's rank is based on 11 up to and including WotG and a bit after Alexander and Odin were added to SMN.

MaddenNFL64

DaBuddaDa said:
Massive amounts of trial and error (and dedication).

There is still a boss that has been around for like, 5 years now, Absolute Virtue, that hasn't been legitimately killed. People figured out a way to get him stuck on a rock and killed him, and Square immediately patched the exploit out. Then, people figured out you could zerg rush him with an alliance of dark knights with kraken clubs. Within a day Square quickly patched that out. After that everyone gave up, and now with all of the new content the items AV drops aren't even worth trying for anymore :lol

IIRC they didn't nerf Panda Ward at all, they only implemented the 2 hour limit to avoid having another group try for another 24 hours and generate even more bad publicity towards the game.

Edit: They did lower his HP to make him killable in a 2-hour timeframe, but they didn't make him any "easier".

That's the one. Absolute virtue. Part of the Zeni mobs right? Gotta play pokemon to get points to get this stuff.

Lets just turn this into the ranking thread it was always destined to be.

X>XII>XIII>IX>VII>VI>IV>XI>III>I

So bad I don't care:

VIII
II

DaBuddaDa

MaddenNFL64 said:
That's the one. Absolute virtue. Part of the Zeni mobs right? Gotta play pokemon to get points to get this stuff.
Absolute Virtue is the final boss of the CoP Sea cycle. Pandemonium Warden is the final Zeni boss.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gravijah said:
Then why are you crying?

shego.gif

Alex

Blizzard has released bosses that were unbeatable until a round of patches and nerfs

Vanilla WoW in general, like FFXI, clung way too hard to Everquest and wound up kind of trapped with a lot of bullshit timesinks and other design nightmares and really held a lot of what it tried to be progressive with down.

Back then, overtuning was mostly what you could do to keep bosses up since the mechanics were so simple.

Luckily, WoW broke out of that with BC and forward and we wound up with double difficulty modes and a lot of brilliant, interactive ARPG mechanics. Like a lot of people, i was hoping Square (who obviously doesn't have the money to sit there and redesign half their game) would dig out the really good elements from XI outside of it's shell with XIV.... but it's more like they dug a hole into the shell, shook out the good elements and threw up in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom