• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

B.K.

I hate RNG. I rolled 91 on the Glaze from V2S and of course, another person rolled 92 and the winner rolled 94. I've cleared V2S almost a dozen times now and I've still never seen a Fending piece drop.

Omgggg ivalice ejbdbsjxjqjxbocdjahsh

The lore implications are completely insane, although people first thought that FFXII happened before FFT, so that's causing a little confusion.

But yeah holy shit. New best 24 man, and I was going nuts the whole time through the plot.

dramatis

Rabanastre FC run at 9pm EST 10/11/2017

Quote to reveal sign up

If you don't arrive 10 min after scheduled time, whoever asks first will get your place

ilvl 90 myth gear can never be dyed which is a shame but the ilvl 50 stuff looks similar at least for Summoner so I guess I can use that as a substitute. I'll know in my heart, though. :'(

FinKL

Are WHM still considered dead?

I haven't played since Turn9 and was thinking about coming back as either AST or SAM as I mained WHM for Turns 1-5, DRG for Turns6-9. Obviously, I feel like DPS would be more fun, but a healer would definitely be in more demand.

Fraxin

The lore implications are completely insane, although people first thought that FFXII happened before FFT, so that's causing a little confusion.

But yeah holy shit. New best 24 man, and I was going nuts the whole time through the plot.

Yeah, still don't get it if XII happened before, how come Lesalia was under Rabanastre?
From what it seems in here Tactics happened before.
Or is this XIV's own version if Ivallice?

Bebpo

Banned
Rabanastre FC run at 9pm EST 10/11/2017

Quote to reveal sign up

If you don't arrive 10 min after scheduled time, whoever asks first will get your place

Is there any reason why the runs are so early? Pretty hard to make for west coast PST people with jobs since it's 6pm. 7pm/10pm would be a heck of a lot easier, at least for me being on PST.

Missed the run today, gonna try it with random players on df ><

Qvoth

I haven't played since Turn9 and was thinking about coming back as either AST or SAM as I mained WHM for Turns 1-5, DRG for Turns6-9. Obviously, I feel like DPS would be more fun, but a healer would definitely be in more demand.

they're strongest healer atm (sch got buffed with 4.1 but they're probably still the 3rd choice after 2nd place ast)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is there any reason why the runs are so early? Pretty hard to make for west coast PST people with jobs since it's 6pm. 7pm/10pm would be a heck of a lot easier, at least for me being on PST.

If they were later, many wouldn't be able to attend (like myself), too. It's a hard balance.

Second call for any potential FFXIV questions for the devs now that 4.1 is live.

Anyone got any questions about Patch 4.1 stuff? You have some time to post them and I'll be sending them over to Square Enix with my own questions.

Squishy3

Yeah, still don't get it if XII happened before, how come Lesalia was under Rabanastre?
From what it seems in here Tactics happened before.
Or is this XIV's own version if Ivallice?
It's supposed to be XIV's own version. The logic and events are consistent with the other Ivalice things, but places Tactics before XII There's dialogue mentioning Vagrant Story as well. Basically, consider the beginning of 12 being with the Garlean Empire invading instead of Archadia and instead of a peace treaty and an assassination happen a war happens with the eradication of Dalmasca's royal line. It's said there's other territories in Dalmasca that have attempted revolutions, but have been stamped out. This'd explain why people like the Seeq and Ba'gamnan and crew show up.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Second call for any potential FFXIV questions for the devs now that 4.1 is live.
Question about the map - are they planning to change the minimap icons to show elevation in relation to the player? Arrow up/down or something when necessary, like how WoW does it. Currently it's often very hard to tell where NPCs etc. are in areas with a lot of verticality.

Redx508

is hard to balance the times with east,west and uk players in the fc. me and drama are the ones who setup the runs and we are in the east coast. we do have west coast mods in the fc also like victor and sosul.

Omni

WHM was amazing in v4s prog and I'd be surprised if it isn't taken into serious Ultimate groups either. Hell, if you look at some PFs for 4, they have WHM as a /required/ role

Man these area's for the Ivalice raid are pretty nice looking. Spoilers just for the people who haven't done it yet. I don't know to be sad or not but this is probably the best screen shot I've taken of the game lol.

SLpAyvb.png

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So it turns out once you get
over the tail
of Shinryu the fight is basically over because the final mechanics are trivial and not much happens at that point.

Interesting... design choice.

Fraxin

It's supposed to be XIV's own version. The logic and events are consistent with the other Ivalice things, but places Tactics before XII There's dialogue mentioning Vagrant Story as well. Basically, consider the beginning of 12 being with the Garlean Empire invading instead of Archadia and instead of a peace treaty and an assassination happen a war happens with the eradication of Dalmasca's royal line. It's said there's other territories in Dalmasca that have attempted revolutions, but have been stamped out. This'd explain why people like the Seeq and Ba'gamnan and crew show up.

Thought it was FFXIV version, and had in mind difference of the Garlean and Archadia part. However didn't catch the Vagrant story reference. And due to us being in a hurry in the raid since we did not have much time left, I was not able to read the text on the walls much. I'm wondering if Matsuno will try to connect FFXII to Tactics even more, or is he going to tell us,in FFXIV, what happened to Ramza and Alma.

Euphony

Banned
The lamp post vista in Kugane is just too mean. Having to climb all the way up the jumping puzzle and then hope you land on a small post is nuts...but I did it.

iammeiam

We did a few blind lockouts into Shinryu with a random PF sub and oh my god it is so fun. I can definitely see why people are freaking out now, but it very much seems like 50 things at once but once you learn them it's super set. It reminds me a lot of O3S. Most of the fun has been figuring stuff out and experimenting, and then once the thing is learned it's super easy to repeat. So I assume in a few weeks PF will have rote strategies and assigned positioning and it'll be just another wolf farm, but it's really well done.

We finished the night having made it to 30-something percent, and
getting to the healer adds post-tail
, so I guess it's all downhill from here? It's a good successor to Thordan, and manages to include a new gimmicky thing I really, really like and hope they use more of.

Tenrius

SMN stuff: I don't understand why we can use Aetherflow while in Dragonwyrm trance. It's just an annoyance because it does nothing and you have to wait for the cooldown after you use it. I think it should either become unusable OR give you the full charge once you're out of the trance. So it'd be nice to know if they are going to adjust it.

Maybe that guy offering 1k USD on primal was real too!

Wouldn't be that surprising, some people spend a lot of money on games.

I remember, many many years ago, I sold and bought accounts in UO and AC, made quite a lot of money. One of my UO friends flipped one of the best geared AC Darktide character at the time for a 3500dollars profit. That's 3500dollars in ~1999 or whatever AC was, which a quick google search tells me would be about 4500$ with inflation nowadays. And those sales were surprisingly common back then. I also sold some armor sets that you could just farm pretty quickly in the game for a few hundreds(mind you, since it was a PvP server, while it didn't take too long to farm, you had to fight for the spot with other people while camping for respawns, which wasn't that easy).

Even nowadays whenever I stumble on the shadier mmo websites I see people selling accounts for 400-500$ pretty often, with some numbers higher.

When you consider people dropping 1-3k on keys for loot boxes or whatever in F2P games, it isn't really surprising that people would be willing to pay 1000bucks for a house in their favorite mmo. Hell people pay 500bucks for those PoE packs every 4months for a few shiny armors and a shiny forum title.

Tenrius

Wouldn't be that surprising, some people spend a lot of money on games.

I remember, many many years ago, I sold and bought accounts in UO and AC, made quite a lot of money. One of my UO friends flipped one of the best geared AC Darktide character at the time for a 3500dollars profit. That's 3500dollars in ~1999 or whatever AC was, which a quick google search tells me would be about 4500$ with inflation nowadays. And those sales were surprisingly common back then. I also sold some armor sets that you could just farm pretty quickly in the game for a few hundreds(mind you, since it was a PvP server, while it didn't take too long to farm, you had to fight for the spot with other people while camping for respawns, which wasn't that easy).

Even nowadays whenever I stumble on the shadier mmo websites I see people selling accounts for 400-500$ pretty often, with some numbers higher.

When you consider people dropping 1-3k on keys for loot boxes or whatever in F2P games, it isn't really surprising that people would be willing to pay 1000bucks for a house in their favorite mmo. Hell people pay 500bucks for those PoE packs every 4months for a few shiny armors and a shiny forum title.

Back in 2010, I had a college roommate who played RF Online on a pirate server with a cash shop. He claimed that the members of his guild had to spend $1-2k monthly in order to stay competitive. He was the guild leader and the race patriarch (there are like three races with distinct leader) and he said that the guild members actually collectively paid for his gear/whatever, about $1-2k monthly as well. Not sure how true that all was.

So I finished the raid this morning. Are we only allowed one piece of gear a week?

I forgot and accidentally got a gear piece for my tank instead of my MNK.

Whoops. I'm far behind on gearing because I've been gone for a few months now so I might just grind against O1-4 and get lv330 while the weekly cap has now gone, I think?

Back in 2010, I had a college roommate who played RF Online on a pirate server with a cash shop. He claimed that the members of his guild had to spend $1-2k monthly in order to stay competitive. He was the guild leader and the race patriarch (there are like three races with distinct leader) and he said that the guild members actually collectively paid for his gear/whatever, about $1-2k monthly as well. Not sure how true that all was.

I've spent most of last year playing a korean F2P game(Dungeon Fighter Online, great game, old school 2D brawler but with some mmo aspects). I spent like 40bucks on the game early on to get started but after that didn't spend money, just played the game, enjoyed myself, they had events every 2weeks(like a lot of events every 2weeks rotating) and pretty fast patch rate cause they were catching up to the korean version with a 5 year gap due to the game being ran by Nexon NA at first, who completely killed the game then closed it, so when the korean devs re-opened the game in the west, they reset it to an old state and started patching from there.

Anyway they have a super RNG gated system to acquire the best gear in the game. Back when I played, that gear wasn't even actually useful since you could do the hardest content(the Anton raid) with less gear, especially if you played a support.

The mentality on this game was way different than anything I'd experienced playing mmos for ~20years(mostly western mmos that is). There were a lot of players there that would spend like 1-3k a week on buying "invites" which is the currency needed to farm those best items. They only farmed this way, didn't play the game much otherwise, and generally once they were done farming they would quit cause there was nothing to do, altough a few would still log for a couple hours a week to raid with their super char and feel good about solo carrying the whole raid. There were a lot of ppl buying keys for the ingame boxes stuff for random bad rewards. There were a lot of people buying costume packs they had every 3months in rotations, just to resell them ingame for gold to buy other stuff. They'd have like 100-200$ every few weeks of packs to sell. I bought a bunch of money cards to buy stuff from the cash shop with ingame money.

The worst part to me is how fucked the economy was in terms of spending real money. Even if I wanted to spend say 100$ on the game to progress faster, the amount of stuff you'd be able to buy with this amount was ridiculously small. Like 100$ would buy me maybe 2days of farming? In 2days the odds of getting even one useable item would be pretty much near 0 especially as I got more and more gear and was only looking for specific pieces. I couldn't understand how anyone would want to spend thousands on a game where thousands wouldn't even get you that far.

It was really weird.

It was really my first experience with "whales" as they're called in the F2P market. Most F2P games I played before were more reasonable, or the amount of people spending a lot of money felt a lot smaller like in poe a few people spend thousands buying packs and stuff every league, but a very large majority of the players are pure F2P/only bought a few stash, but in DFO the ratio felt more like 50/50 between whales and pure free players. And a lot of the whales were really spending stupid amounts of money, consistently every week. Like even in my poe example the whales only buy the 500-750packs or whatever every league but leagues being every, 4months or something, that's not THAT much money, but in DFO you'd often see people selling gamecards and stuff every week in stupidly large quantities.

I just got a really nasty bug in the middle of the raid where none of my spells displayed an animation or the casting bar, but when the casting time would complete it would cast like normal. Really messed up my timings and had to back out because it was impossible to play that way. Hope this is remedied in the hotfixes for tonight.

Just show them this image and say "WHEN"

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This game doesn't have shortcuts for turning off UI elements, right?
Yesterday everything was fine, but during a dungeon today I noticed that I don't see my buffs/debuffs on the top of the screen. After the dungeon ended I went to the HUD settings and turned it all on again, but I'm still scratching my head as why it was turned off in the first place.

This game doesn't have shortcuts for turning off UI elements, right?
Yesterday everything was fine, but during a dungeon today I noticed that I don't see my buffs/debuffs on the top of the screen. After the dungeon ended I went to the HUD settings and turned it all on again, but I'm still scratching my head as why it was turned off in the first place.
Did your game/PC/console crash or something? XIV sometimes rolls back some recent configs when that happens.

dramatis

If you want, we can try to set a time during the weekend that is earlier.

Because GAF kind of spans the oceans it is difficult to arrange a time that works for everybody.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
6% enrage at Neo Exdeath with 4 deaths.

Hopefully he goes down this week.

They are very strong. Their big AoE heals are very important in later raid fights where the boss routinely brings the entire party low and the healers have to bring everyone back up quickly. Many strategies are based around it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Did your game/PC/console crash or something? XIV sometimes rolls back some recent configs when that happens.
Oh yeah, my PC reset itself in a middle of a cutscene yesterday. I guess it reverted itself to the state before the patch? Thanks, that might be it!

Thorgal

MSQ 4.1:
So we of the immortal flames have lost Raubahn -senpai and are now under command of a Lalafell. Mass exodus incoming.
:p

Top Bottom