• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

KanameYuuki

The new size/resolution on ps4 for system messages looks really nice, more slick, at least the queue message looks prettier since its the only think I might be able to see today.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Honestly what bugs me the most is that it's not all instanced battle content--like, if they had a very narrow window to fit people through, it wouldn't just be the one quest that's a problem. But it's not, they're limiting per-content which means the content that gets hit the most--the super-early mandatory MSQ thing--is getting backed up, but stuff after it is fine because almost nobody's hitting that. Job quests seem to be functioning fine after the initial issues. The non-solo instances are fine. There's an insanely specific bottleneck they've created, that 2.0 should have alerted them to, and like eight hours later all they can do is repeat the statement from this morning but put Yoshida's name on it so it feels personal.

The whole mess would feel a little less annoying if it was just straight borked instances across the board, but the way this has broken just makes no sense. The servers expected us to all log in, they had a plan in place expecting to need to shard across across multiple instances of a zone, they block most stuff behind the main story... and are then shocked when people try to do it? But then they planned HW around avoiding exactly this kind of thing.

Maybe aliens abducted Yoshida mid-HW. Maybe that's what happened.

Really I think most of my salt is that if you had plans to do stuff with other people, the stupid instance is fucking them up. Not allowed to go in as a group, have to go in solo, but have to do the solo thing to get to the group thing. It'd be less frustrating on some level if we were all in the same boat, but it's turning into RNG divisions for no reason.

Server queues are getting messed up too. Which shouldn't happen if the EU servers aren't "high" pop to begin with.

In afternoon, I went from 531st in the queue to getting in in about 5 minutes. Now though, It's taken 2 hours to move 3000 places with 800 still to go.

R0ckman

Well at least my fishing leveling is going well... seeing a lot of people nope the hell out when they try to fish. Guess most find it boring.

Arkeband

Banned
Well at least my fishing leveling is going well... seeing a lot of people nope the hell out when they try to fish. Guess most find it boring.

The fishing in this game is boring, and it's hysterical that when players were asking for dedicated inventory space for tackle, they said no and then gave us more stupid shit to attach to a new fishing offhand.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you do POTD 51-60 over and over again it should take you about 4-6 hours.

MechaX

I think what stings the most about this is that you're pretty much running into a brick wall an hour into the game before the expansion even gets started. You see no new dungeons, no new primals or bosses, no new major antagonists or major story elements, fucking nothing.

Oh, but I guess you can grind the new classes up to level 60 if you want to run PotD for 10 hours. Or you can do PvP if you're into that.

If not, well... you don't really have many options at all.

And if the PR response is "don't play the game you paid early access for for a little while," this is all kinds of fucked up.

R0ckman

I think what stings the most about this is that you're pretty much running into a brick wall an hour into the game before the expansion even gets started. You see no new dungeons, no new primals or bosses, no new major antagonists or major story elements, fucking nothing.

Oh, but I guess you can grind the new classes up to level 60 if you want to run PotD for 10 hours. Or you can do PvP if you're into that.

If not, well... you don't really have many options at all.

And if the PR response is "don't play the game you paid early access for for a little while," this is all kinds of fucked up.

Bolded cracked me up. Thank you, needed that right now.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Servers are melting. Weekend is gonna be a mess.

I was hyped for this man... I need 235ilvl for Main story quest.. do I still gotta finish that to go to stormblood?
Get someone with SB to buy you some vendor gear. Or look at the mb, first quest gives 255 gear.

Robin64

There's a vendor in the market area of Ishgard that sells 255 white gear now, the same stuff you get in the first Stormblood zone.

Edit: Suitably beaten.

Marcel

Yoshida is both director and producer so he absolutely knew about a bottleneck being placed in the game one hour in. We've been eating his excuses about various things for years now and this is just another one.

Why don't they just put up a queue for instances instead of having everyone ram into it?

Wouldn't that solve this entire issue?

Reading on reddit Final Fantasy XI had an instance queue system for this sort of situation.

Marcel

Why don't they just put up a queue for instances instead of having everyone ram into it?

Wouldn't that solve this entire issue?

I imagine that would require the game to come down completely for emergency maintenance since you're changing the way solo instances are fielded by the game's systems.

Not that I would mind. I can't do anything anyway other than level to distract myself from an expansion I can't play.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I imagine that would require the game to come down completely for emergency maintenance since you're changing the way solo instances are fielded by the game's systems.
This seems like an emergency to me...

Finished up Baelsar's Wall and saw the introduction of that Samurai character. If we're going to be hanging out with that guy, Stormblood is going to be fun as hell.

Hopefully by the time I jump in, this bottleneck fiasco is resolved.

Arkeband

Banned
Worst launch since ARR then?

ARR was ridiculous, there wasn't even a queue system so you'd just have to spam their login servers for hours until you got lucky. And to add insult to injury, when you failed to login it would kick you back to the title screen.

Potd is basically unusable for me now.

Sure other things lead to disconnects and lag spikes too. But bad DC does not sabotage an entire run, when I am just doing beat tribe quests and stuff... while in Potd you can lose all progress and just eat shit and get no xp.

Top Bottom