• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

charpunk

Get home from work, realized I forgot to patch yesterday, patch finally downloads, only 14 person queue, go to fight first enemy, server disconnect, can't get back in LOL

Oh well.

ebil

All right, RDM is done and I made it to Rhalgr's Reach. Everyone who's been trying to do the MSQ today has ended up super frustrated so I'm glad I spent the day leveling instead.

Hopefully they find a solution by tomorrow because that sounds like a giant mess of a launch. Time to sleep!

KanameYuuki

Lol decided to heal for a bit and unconsciously I kept pressing the key where cleric stance is supposed to be when going from a healing spell to a damage one. I wonder how long it will take me to forget it, it's pretty much like blinking right now.

And thanks to the expansion, Idyllshire never loaded so fast and had so many frames.

iammeiam

So something that has popped up for me a couple of times before but I didn't set out to test until now--so distracted was I by the game Not Fucking Working--is that I think they made a pretty large oversight in the job gauge thing. And since I'm currently getting the world's most passive EXP by queueing into PVP matches and then getting tossed out, I got time.

Base change: Things that used to be a personal buff have been moved to the custom job gauges, and are no longer visible in your buffs list. If there's a way to undo this and I'm a moron, please let me know, but I don't think there is.

Complaint 1: - You have to track two separate things if you're trying to keep an eye on something that counts for the job gauge alongside something that doesn't. Having the job gauge doesn't REQUIRE removing the buffs as well, but it's something they chose to do. This is just kind of awkward when trying to align things. I stuck my personal buff bar right next to the enemy debuff bar to only have to look in one place; figuring out how to place each individual job gauge in the middle of my screen to still be able to see both at once isn't great.

Complaint 2: - You can't click things off anymore. Noticeable with AST cards, mostly--Undraw lets you discard a card, but RR/spread are now Ride or Die. Given that Sleeve Draw Spreads and Royal Roads for you, it could get annoying.

Complaint 3 (THE ACTUAL PROBLEM) - Nobody else has any visibility to any of your job gauge. Trying to figure out if a SCH is sitting on Aetherflow stacks and can Lustrate/Indom? Good luck with that. Queued into a two-AST 8-man? Want to see if they're sitting on an expanded Balance as well? Or if they draw one mid-flight? Too bad, job gauge only! Curious where in the song rotation the bard is? gonna have to ask mid-fight, buddy, all you know is they're singing something.

The third one sucks; I appreciate the effort to make visual feed back more obvious to the player, but it's dumb as hell that certain basic information becomes a secret from the rest of your party.

I get that a lot of people won't care, but the buff bar has traditionally conveyed certain basic information about the rest of your party in a fairly easy-to-read way, and l feel like this is Yet Another Thing that could have been caught with actual testing. They made tracking things individually easier, but they made visual group coordination a lot more awkward. Like, want to go back and rewatch a wipe to figure out who maybe dropped a buff somewhere? lol hope you have ACT because you're not gonna see shit in a video.

CLBridges

I am one of those folks that spammed there way into cold steel, wasn't gonna stand in line for hours. Took about 10 minutes to get in and smooth sailing from there. Reached Kugane and now I'm gonna take a break from MSQ. Gonna wait for others to start getting here cause half the fun in leveling is having a bunch of people at the same point you are. There was like five people in Kugane when I got there, so yeah, gonna chill for a bit.

Might level RDM or SAM, don't know yet but I'm seeing good impressions from folks playing both. Having a blast though!

Bebpo

Banned
I had an instance with only like 20 people at the cold steel quest. Tried for an hour and never got in. Is it not based on your instance (aka lines do nothing) because it's using a separate instance server anyhow?

iammeiam

I had an instance with only like 20 people at the cold steel quest. Tried for an hour and never got in. Is it not based on your instance (aka lines do nothing) because it's using a separate instance server anyhow?

Some of the lodestone posts have implied it's server-based, and people are remembering 2.0 back when the whole server shared a single field instance and the line concept actually made sense/worked (or they thought it did; I wasn't there.)

The reality is it probably doesn't, but feeling like there's a way to make the situation better is going to be more popular overall than just "it's broken and you'll either RNG through, or you won't".

ebil

So something that has popped up for me a couple of times before but I didn't set out to test until now--so distracted was I by the game Not Fucking Working--is that I think they made a pretty large oversight in the job gauge thing. And since I'm currently getting the world's most passive EXP by queueing into PVP matches and then getting tossed out, I got time.

Base change: Things that used to be a personal buff have been moved to the custom job gauges, and are no longer visible in your buffs list. If there's a way to undo this and I'm a moron, please let me know, but I don't think there is.

Complaint 1: - You have to track two separate things if you're trying to keep an eye on something that counts for the job gauge alongside something that doesn't. Having the job gauge doesn't REQUIRE removing the buffs as well, but it's something they chose to do. This is just kind of awkward when trying to align things. I stuck my personal buff bar right next to the enemy debuff bar to only have to look in one place; figuring out how to place each individual job gauge in the middle of my screen to still be able to see both at once isn't great.

Complaint 2: - You can't click things off anymore. Noticeable with AST cards, mostly--Undraw lets you discard a card, but RR/spread are now Ride or Die. Given that Sleeve Draw Spreads and Royal Roads for you, it could get annoying.

Complaint 3 (THE ACTUAL PROBLEM) - Nobody else has any visibility to any of your job gauge. Trying to figure out if a SCH is sitting on Aetherflow stacks and can Lustrate/Indom? Good luck with that. Queued into a two-AST 8-man? Want to see if they're sitting on an expanded Balance as well? Or if they draw one mid-flight? Too bad, job gauge only! Curious where in the song rotation the bard is? gonna have to ask mid-fight, buddy, all you know is they're singing something.

The third one sucks; I appreciate the effort to make visual feed back more obvious to the player, but it's dumb as hell that certain basic information becomes a secret from the rest of your party.

I get that a lot of people won't care, but the buff bar has traditionally conveyed certain basic information about the rest of your party in a fairly easy-to-read way, and l feel like this is Yet Another Thing that could have been caught with actual testing. They made tracking things individually easier, but they made visual group coordination a lot more awkward. Like, want to go back and rewatch a wipe to figure out who maybe dropped a buff somewhere? lol hope you have ACT because you're not gonna see shit in a video.
Yeah, when one of the BLMs we were partied with never seemed to have AF or UI I initially thought they were just bad. Then when I noticed that I couldn't see my AST levelling buddy's Spread anymore it immediately hit me: random double AST is going to be painful, and actual on the fly coordination is going to be really messy with the new system.

IvorB

Just been doing MSQ and blowing sh*t up in FATES. FATE exp is pretty good especially when you get the XP fairy and then do a XP boosted FATE. Also played around with red mage and think I'm going to do the two in parallel.

gryvan

I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT INI GOT INI GOT INI GOT INvI GOT INvvI GOT INv
I GOT INI GOT INvI GOT INI GOT INI GOT INvvv

I'm so happy right now

Yup seems so cause I've been watching Towelliee stream it and there are only a handful of people at the quest and he has yet to get in.

iammeiam

I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT IN
I GOT INI GOT INI GOT INI GOT INvI GOT INvvI GOT INv
I GOT INI GOT INvI GOT INI GOT INI GOT INvvv

I'm so happy right now

Can you let me know if you see more than like, 5-ish people at any of the spots after that instance and before the dungeon? I seriously think the success rate is a lot lower than people are assuming, because ain't nobody around.

I can't do anything about any of this, but I am just fascinated by the whole thing because it seems like this specific instance is letting fewer people through than any of the others.

bout to get this downloaded~

maybe an odd question, but is there anyway to change the ffxiv desktop icon? i remember when heavensward came out it was the black and red icon, but mine has reverted to the old ARR icon that i don't like, and i can't find a way to change it D:

LordKasual

Banned
I wonder if people will still defend solo instances in an MMO

uhhhhh

Guys if you think about it from the perspective of someone not playing the game in early access with instance server issues, then it's actually not so silly of an idea???

The whole point of solo instances is to provide content more interesting than what they can do on the overworld. The only reason it feels stupid now is because the servers are having issues.

This wont be an issue for 99% of the expansion's lifespan

I wonder if people will still defend solo instances in an MMO

I enjoy doing the solo instances, though obviously the current problem needs some better way of dealing with it to prevent this kind of frustration and roadblocking. Frankly, I don't know why the solo instances can't be handled entirely offline locally - you don't need to connect with any other players, so why do you need to connect with Square-Enix's servers at all for them? But I'm no expert in this field, so there may be some technical reason why that's not feasible.

Matticers

The worst part about this for me is that PotD is broken too. I'm at level 59 sitting about 70% of the way to level 60. And I don't know what else will give good exp besides PotD or a dungeon and I can't do either without getting booted. lol. I've been trying to spam leves and random high level quests but it's taking forever. I just want to finish the final Heavensward quest and equip some level 60 gear. :(

I guess pvp is supposed to be decent xp but I only tried pvp once when it first came out. Not sure what mode to do for it or anything.

Zane Farus

Neo Member
The worst part about this for me is that PotD is broken too. I'm at level 59 sitting about 70% of the way to level 60. And I don't know what else will give good exp besides PotD or a dungeon and I can't do either without getting booted. lol. I've been trying to spam leves and random high level quests but it's taking forever. I just want to finish the final Heavensward quest and equip some level 60 gear. :(

I guess pvp is supposed to be decent xp but I only tried pvp once when it first came out. Not sure what mode to do for it or anything.

Fates in hinterlands gives a lot of exp at that level.

iammeiam

Do Frontlines. Check off Frontlines Freelancer in your dungeon settings to get around the GC restriction for a faster queue; it requires no gear.

The servers there have been crap too, but as long as your party doesn't kick you you'll get exp even if you disconnect and miss the end of the fight.

And given that I've been in some where all 24 people on my team disconnected at once, it's unlikely you'll get kicked.

gryvan

Can you let me know if you see more than like, 5-ish people at any of the spots after that instance and before the dungeon? I seriously think the success rate is a lot lower than people are assuming, because ain't nobody around.

I can't do anything about any of this, but I am just fascinated by the whole thing because it seems like this specific instance is letting fewer people through than any of the others.

I did see around 5-6 people completing it with me

After that i saw liek 1 other person usually finishing similar quests after that

Top Bottom