• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Main characters and Japanese voice cast revealed

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
We're getting close to playing Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within: Videogame Edition.

Voror

Good to hear :) Wish I'd seen it before it was edited as Verendus always seems to drop some nice info down.

I hope they still feature Amano artwork in the game as said.

I'd guess that art of Etro is likely still in as that scene seemed fairly important.

Should we be concerned at all regarding the budget with this game? I'd rather not have another case of Tomb Raider. I'm sure they are trying to avoid such a thing, but this FF is a big deal for them so I could see them trying to make sure it gets advertised.

raven777

RsSER2A.jpg

fix this shit SE

raven777

When does EU/NA PSN update?

Did the battle trailer also make it to JPSN?

Best XV/Versus related ava goes to you sir!

image.php

the last time I checked the battle trailer was not on JPSN. I want them to put it but for some reason I doubt they will put it.

and yea thanks. I tried to make something different for the avatar since so many people were having stella avatar. Like me and Stark had almost identical one lol.

YEBIS 2 Returns: Chromatic Aberration XV

Seriously though, this game looks hot, but is very uneven in the finer details. There is a dramatic difference between the IQ in the reveal trailer and the Battle Gameplay trailer. The reveal looks almost perfect, while the battle trailer is full of aliasing & XIII style alpha texture hair. If you pay attention to the battle trailer, the footage it takes from the reveal trailer (near the end) has subtle differences in the size, clarity, and color of the command menu (as well as the hair: it looks much better). WTH is going on Square?

Zoe

Seriously though, this game looks hot, but is very uneven in the finer details. There is a dramatic difference between the IQ in the reveal trailer and the Battle Gameplay trailer. The reveal looks almost perfect, while the battle trailer is full of aliasing & XIII style alpha texture hair. If you pay attention to the battle trailer, the footage it takes from the reveal trailer (near the end) has subtle differences in the size, clarity, and color of the command menu (as well as the hair: it looks much better). WTH is going on Square?

That's pretty typical though. You should assume trailer footage is touched up in some way unless otherwise stated.

Stark

Banned

It's still a WIP and for a showing at a big event, its expected to be touched up.

and yea thanks. I tried to make something different for the avatar since so many people were having stella avatar. Like me and Stark had almost identical one lol.

Nice. And yeah, sorry about that, lol.

Famassu

Trailer is more of a "this is what we are aiming for the final game to look like" whereas the gameplay demonstration is where they are currently at. With them only beginning next-gen "porting" of the game last year + with probably almost 1,5 years still to go, I do think they'll achieve the level seen in the reveal trailer.

King Boo

All this talk about an all-male cast, but I doubt that will affect sales at all. Hopefully, no one will take this the wrong way, but I think this is the first AAA Blockbuster game with a cast that is undeniably Asian. Prior Final Fantasy characters' nationality, with a few exceptions like Tidus, were obscured by the anime-influenced artstyle.

personally i don't mind the all male cast, and find it refreshing. BUT there are two female characters in the trailer so the player can recruit them at some point in the story. probably. and the game looks animeish to me, i see naruto and sauske. except sauske seems to be the main lead.

Stark

Banned
Trailer is more of a "this is what we are aiming for the final game to look like" whereas the gameplay demonstration is where they are currently at. With them only beginning next-gen "porting" of the game last year + with probably almost 1,5 years still to go, I do think they'll achieve the level seen in the reveal trailer.

They're not too far off anyway. It comes really close. The most important part was that the gameplay was no joke and I'm glad they went to demonstrate that.

I find it funny that after 7 years, we've still only been shown the very beginning of this game.

I hope they keep that up because SE loves to spoil shit.

Famassu

personally i don't mind the all male cast, and find it refreshing. BUT there are two female characters in the trailer so the player can recruit them at some point in the story. probably. and the game looks animeish to me, i see naruto and sauske. except sauske seems to be the main lead.
The way Nomura has talked about Stella in the past makes it seem, to me, that she won't be a playable character. She is of importance to the story, but probably not playable. And I'm 100% certain that the other female character revealed so far is the enemy (perhaps a princess-equivalent of Noctis for Nilfheim or comparable to Noctis' military/guard friends in stature). Again, I wouldn't keep my hopes up for playable female characters, I especially wouldn't expect the ones revealed so far to be playable.

I find it funny that after 7 years, we've still only been shown the very beginning of this game.

I don't think this second (?) city is from the beginning of the game. The HP-numbers are way too high, if those are anything to go by, and Noctis' abilities seem to be somewhat advanced (Nomura said that you wouldn't be bad-assing your way through enemies from the start like you do in the original E3 2006 reveal CGI trailer, but would develop those skills during the game, but Noctis seems to be doing stuff like that in the battle gameplay). If I had to guess, this is probably already at least 10-15 hours into the game. So maybe early-ISH for a massive JRPG, but not right from the beginning.

.JayZii

Banned

We've been seeing end-game material this whole time. The first several hours are actually a split pea soup simulator. Looks gorgeous though, so viscous!

Persona86

Banned

Exactly, I hope they keep a lot of thing secret, I love surprises. Hopefully a new character to your team later on etc.

Lucent

LR-Outfits.png

So this is why it's been taking them so long to get Final Fantasy XV out. Been spending a lot of time making costumes in FFXIII-3. =x

lol j/k

HeelPower

I wonder if all the development that went into current gen was wasted ? Or can they simply port everything into higher quality and carry on from there? Did they have to start over a year ago ?

So this is why it's been taking them so long to get Final Fantasy XV out. Been spending a lot of time making costumes in FFXIII-3. =x

lol j/k

Honestly I want a lot of costumes in XV. I think its adds A LOT to the experience when you are able to customize your characters. Its part of the role playing experience afterall.

Zoe

Honestly I want a lot of costumes in XV. I think its adds A LOT to the experience when you are able to customize your characters. Its part of the role playing experience afterall.
With the added bonus of killing any chance of mid-game FMV.

>:|

HeelPower

They can still do CG cutscenes..I don't see how this would prevent that.Its awesome when you have a wide range of costume selections and you are able to customize your character visually. I love it in Dark Souls when I am able to make my character look unique and suited to my taste.

Dunan

Indeed, I would happily see SE dump FMV entirely. Games have suffered in quality of play (FF8 and closing off all the cities in Disc 4) just so that FMV could be shoehorned in. FF12 was almost all game engine, and the cut scenes were beautiful.

Stark

Banned
They can still do CG cutscenes..I don't see how this would prevent that.Its awesome when you have a wide range of costume selections and you are able to customize your character visually. I love it in Dark Souls when I am able to make my character unique looking and suited to my taste.

Looks inconsistent :(

Famassu

I wonder if all the development that went into current gen was wasted ? Or can they simply port everything into higher quality and carry on from there? Did they have to start over a year ago ?
I'm sure most of the stuff they've done before the move is still useful and just needs to be spruced up for next-gen (i.e. like how they modeled the Tokyo-like city, I doubt they'll do that all over again, "just" improve textures and maybe add some more detail to certain places). Of course with the power of next-gen they are probably going to do more than they could before, which could perhaps lead to them scrapping some old stuff that isn't useful anymore.

Zoe

Indeed, I would happily see SE dump FMV entirely. Games have suffered in quality of play (FF8 and closing off all the cities in Disc 4) just so that FMV could be shoehorned in. FF12 was almost all game engine, and the cut scenes were beautiful.

The PS1 games had multiple discs.

FFXIII had FMV and the cut scenes were gorgeous. XIII-2 added in costumes so we barely got any.

HeelPower

The PS1 games had multiple discs.

FFXIII had FMV and the cut scenes were gorgeous. XIII-2 added in costumes so we barely got any.

let me ask you this again...Are you seriously willing to have no customization of your characters in an RPG just so CG would look consistent with the rest of the game ? :v :v :v :v :v :v I guess you could just stick with his default.

I'm sure most of the stuff they've done before the move is still useful and just needs to be spruced up for next-gen (i.e. like how they modeled the Tokyo-like city, I doubt they'll do that all over again, "just" improve textures and maybe add some more detail to certain places). Of course with the power of next-gen they are probably going to do more than they could before, which could perhaps lead to them scrapping some old stuff that isn't useful anymore.

I hope not much progress was lost...The game took long enough to get where it is today. I wonder why they wouldn't share a progress report. Maybe because they don't want people to get their hopes up or maybe because they haven't completed much of it. I wonder how big the staff of the game will be now that so much work force has been freed up.

Zoe

let me ask you this again...Are you seriously willing to have no customization of your characters in an RPG just so CG would look consistent with the rest of the game ? :v :v :v :v :v :v I guess you could just stick with his default.

Yes. I don't play Final Fantasy to play dress up. Lack of customization does not affect my immersion or enjoyment at all. These characters are not avatars.

I'm glad it's a cast with no teenagers and no stupid "waifus".

Although apparently gay manly men is a big thing in the Japanese female market but still.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can someone explain to me wtf is that shit in the trailer? If you check the right moment in which the gameplay starts and Noctics tries to evade the water incoming from the window, there's the face of a player-skype-avatar-like entering from the window itself flying!!!

Is KOJIMA directing the GAME!??!?!?!?!?!

Stark

Banned
That's not important to me...at all..Why trade in fun for consistency ? Do you want the FFXIII model again ? Not to mention luminous is beautiful.CG is not needed anymore.

I don't really find costume switching all that fun. It's because it messes with the consistency and gives me much less CG to look at. Luminous is nice, but its still not there and VW CG is something special that I'd like to stay for a long long time. People can moan about how much CG there is, but that's great for me. I hope they keep up a decent amount in future games.

Plus, more costumes = less quality in the design to me.

Zukuu

Banned
Can someone explain to me wtf is that shit in the trailer? If you check the right moment in which the gameplay starts and Noctics tries to evade the water incoming from the window, there's the face of a player-skype-avatar-like entering from the window itself flying!!!

Is KOJIMA directing the GAME!??!?!?!?!?!

That's your team. Think: Codec, Mobile Phone etc

HeelPower

Yes. I don't play Final Fantasy to play dress up. Lack of customization does not affect my immersion or enjoyment at all. These characters are not avatars.

But they ARE.This is supposed to be a role playing game where you assume the role of the characters. I don't see why you would be against equipment reflecting a change in appearance .

Plus, more costumes = less quality in the design to me.

completely invalid premise. There are MANY artists capable of creating awesome looking equipment. There could be another costume out there that you may like better than Noctis' default.As long as it is optional it shouldn't be a problem.

Can't believe how insanely detailed and realistic this looks!

Jeez, that's insane. I'm curious on how many buildings you will actually be able to enter in the cities. I hope a decent amount. I thought Academia in XIII-2 looked fantastic, but the lack of ability to enter buildings was a missed opportunity. :(

Zoe

But they ARE.This is supposed to be a role playing game where you assume the role of the characters. I don't see why you would be against equipment reflecting a change in appearance .

As long as they make choices I wouldn't make, they're not avatars.

Stark

Banned
completely invalid premise. There are MANY artists capable of creating awesome looking equipment. There could be another costume out there that you may like better than Noctis' default.As long as it is optional it shouldn't be a problem.

I think it's pretty valid. LR displays that and it apparently has other artists on it.

Tomodachi

That's the western concept of RPG. JRPGs don't let identify with characters, they have a very definite personality and make choices all by themselves in dialogues and actions. Customizing equipment and skills isn't enough to talk about roleplay or avatars.

That out of the way, I wish FFXIII-2 had more free costumes, I liked switching them around and I didn't care whether reflected that.

Top Bottom